Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Discussion Topics > Ask a Cruise Question

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Ask a Cruise Question Post your general cruise questions here.

View Poll Results: Which elite suite complex would you book if money were no object?
Cunard's Grill Class -- I like the traditional vibe and elegant suites. 46 21.60%
NCL's Courtyard -- I like Freestyle Cruising in high style. 71 33.33%
MSC's Yacht Club -- I like my spacious suites to have international flair. 3 1.41%
Any of them -- I'm not picky about where I find my luxury. 47 22.07%
None of the above -- I think classed cruising is elitist and old-school. 34 15.96%
Something else -- I'll post below. 12 5.63%
Voters: 213. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 10th, 2010, 06:07 PM
Administrator

Default Which elite suite complex would you book if money were no object?

Cunard may have revived classed cruising, but this throwback style of cruising from the Titanic era is now making a major comeback. (Click here to read the news item.) These days, you can find "elite suites" -- which provide access to exclusive restaurants, lounges and decks on otherwise mainstream ships -- not just on Cunard but also Norwegian Cruise Line, with its now-signature Courtyard Villa complex, and MSC Cruises' exclusive Yacht Club.

We want to know -- if money were no object, which would you book? Vote in our poll and be sure to leave comments below!

Click to Play!

Last edited by Dan Askin; August 10th, 2010 at 06:19 PM.

Old August 10th, 2010, 06:20 PM
10,000+ Club

RCI Oasis of the Seas Royal Loft Suite.

Old August 10th, 2010, 06:25 PM
Cool Cruiser

i wanted to pick NOTA because i do consider it elitist. But then i realized that while classed cruising keeps the "riffraff" away from those who wish to cruise with likeminded individuals (aka the upper crust), it keeps those who wish to separate themselves, away from my cruise

and no, i'm not talking about those who can afford suites but still mingle with the gen pop. I'm talking about those who spend the majority of their cruise in the private elite areas and prefer not to associate with the rest of the cruise pax.

Old August 10th, 2010, 07:37 PM
Cool Cruiser

Passengers who fly 1st Class or Business get better amenities. I don't really see how this is different.

Old August 10th, 2010, 08:32 PM
5,000+ Club

I'd love to try Cunard, and if we were in a suite - all the better!

I don't see how "elitism" even comes into play. Cruising is not a democracy! If you want to pay more for certain privileges, then go for it! Those who pay for an inside, oceanview or "regular" verandah are still getting an excellent value for the money they paid. If you don't like it then don't cruise!!!

NEXT UP: Alaska! Summer 2014
PAST: Closing in on 20 cruises on Royal Caribbean & Celebrity

Ad Sponsored By
Old August 10th, 2010, 08:38 PM
10,000+ Club

We would never -- ever -- take a "class" cruise where some people are made to feel more important than others. If you want a luxury experience, and, money is no object. . . . simply take a luxury cruise. There is no "class" differentiation on luxury cruises! IMO, money does not make one person more important or better than another.

P.S. For those of you who think the Titanic experience was good. . . . you may want to check out the ending.

Itineraries Sailed: Alaska (2 sailings) / Baltics / Barcelona – Dubai / Cape Town – Rio / E. & W. Caribbean (3 sailings) / Ft. Lauderdale – Lima / Istanbul-Venice / London-Monte Carlo / Miami – Barcelona / Mumbai – Bali / New York-Southampton / Singapore to Sydney / Stockholm - Copenhagen / Tahiti / Venice-Rome / Vancouver-Tokyo

Upcoming cruises: / Rome to Lisbon - 10 nights - Mariner / Miami to Miami - 14 nights - Riviera / Rio to Barcelona - 18 nights - Mariner / Cape Town to Cape Town - 15 nights - Mariner / Explorer - 2016

Last edited by Travelcat2; August 10th, 2010 at 08:39 PM.

Old August 10th, 2010, 08:39 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water•Baby View Post
I'd love to try Cunard, and if we were in a suite - all the better!

I don't see how "elitism" even comes into play. Cruising is not a democracy! If you want to pay more for certain privileges, then go for it! Those who pay for an inside, oceanview or "regular" verandah are still getting an excellent value for the money they paid. If you don't like it then don't cruise!!!
I'm not opposed to paying more for more perks such as a bigger cabin, free bar setup, butler service, pillow selection etc. What bothers me is the separating of passengers into exclusive areas of the ship. More and more, it seems the ships are coming out with suite only sections, or singles only sections that are barring the gen.pop from using. I dunno, it just really bothers me to see segregating like this because it encourages the school of thought that one group of people are somehow better (or more entitled) than another group of people.

Old August 11th, 2010, 01:59 AM
Cool Cruiser

I experienced the Epic's version of elitism from the wrong side. How did it work? Well, read the comments on the Epic's maiden TA voyage. Those in the suites enjoyed themselves and were generally quite pleased. The rest of us, generally not so much (though I'm sure that there are those who will vehemently disagree). I just felt that as a common passenger (ie, one inhabiting a regular cabin with a balcony), the ship was too noisy (overlapping entertainment venues, bowling alleys, gambling machines, etc.), had too many missing features (library, game/card rooms, quiet areas, promenade, etc), and didn't do enough to control smoking (especially in the gambling areas and folks pitching their cigarette butts down on uncovered balconies). The upper crust passengers had a place to escape, receive premier treatment and enjoy the views that were denied the less lofty.

By Land . . . . . . . . . . . By Sea
Mexico 01/87
Hawaii 05/89
Mexico 12/90 Southward
Mexico 09/92 Enchanted Isle
Hawaii 04/93 Fair Princess
Fr. Polynesia 05/94
Canada 06/94
Fr. Polynesia 05/98 Aranui II
Caribbean 06/00 Amazing Grace
British Isles 09/01
Fr. Polynesia 03/01 R-3
Transatlantic 10/03 Royal Clipper
Portugal 03/04
Brit. Coumbia 09/04 Maple Leaf
Hawaii 11/05
Hawaii/Gilberts03/06 Norwegian Wind
Fr. Polynesia 02/09 Star Flyer
Athens to Thailand 10/09 Star Clipper
Transatlantic 05/10 Noordam
Transatlantic 06/10 Norwegian Epic
Disney World 04/12
Huahine 08/11

Old August 11th, 2010, 02:32 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default NCL all the way

Even though some of these other rooms were cheaper it does not state that their rooms are 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms like NCL's. You can't beat the courtyard villas on NCL.

Started cruising on The Norway in 1980 and have never stopped. We went on hiatis for about 10 years then I got ill and my husband says lets cruise now while I still can. We have stayed with NCL because of the service we receive in the rooms all the way around.

S/S NORWAY 5/17/1980 - 7 Day Caribbean
NCL WIND 12/25/2004 - 11 Day Hawaii
NCL DREAM 05/01/2005 - 15 Day Panama Canal
NCL STAR 12/19/2005 - 8 Day Mexican Rivera
NCL JEWEL 10/09/2006 - 12 Day Classic Mediterranean
NCL DREAM 11/21/2007 - 18 Day Extended Chilean Fjords/Srt Magellan
NCL SUN 07/01/2007 - 7 Day Alaska Sawyer Glacier
NCL JEWEL 10/08/2008 - 10 Day Canada & New England
NCL STAR 12/20/2008 - 7 Day Mexican Riviera
NCL STAR 12/19/2009 - 7 Day Mexican Riviera
NCL STAR 12/18/2010 - 7 Day Mexican Riviera
NCL EPIC 04/09/2011 - 7 Day Eastern Caribbean
NCL STAR 09/24/2011 - 7 Day British Columbia & Us West Coast
NCL JEWEL 04/28/2012 - 17 Day Panama Canal
NCL DAWN 10/25/2012 - 16 Day Colonial America
NCL BREAKAWAY 05/26/2013 - 7 Day Bermuda (I only made it 1 day before being airlifted by the Coast Guard to receive a pacemaker/defibrillator in Virginia)
NCL STAR 12/22/2013 - 7 Day Mexican Rivera

PENDING:

NCL STAR 12/21/2014 - 7 Day Mexican Rivera
NCL ESCAPE 10/29/2015 - 10 Day Transatlantic London/Miami

Had many other cruises on other lines but these are the ones that count!!!

Old August 11th, 2010, 10:02 AM
5,000+ Club

Money can't buy class.

Assuming I can afford any cruise I want on any line, where's the guarantee that fellow passengers in suites are going to be more desirable companions than those in inside cabins?

I prefer to choose those I associate with based on who they are rather than how much money they have.

Looking forward to:
Azamara Quest Croatia RT Venice September 2014 and follow with short stay in Florence and 2 weeks in Tuscany & Umbria

Oceania Nautica Capetown to Singapore January 2015
with pre cruise safari

Viking Imperial Jewels of China May 2015

Oceania Insignia Miami to Montreal July 2015

Oceania Nautica Rome to Istanbul September 2015, followed by Allure of the Seas 7 nights RT Barcelona October 2015, returning to States on Seabourn Odyssey TA October 2015

Antarctica on NatGeo Explorer February 2016 and back to fabulous Buenos Aires

Seabourn Odyssey TA April 2016 with stay in Southern Spain

Hoping to book Oceania Norwegian Fjords 2016 and Abercrombie & Kent Cuba 2015 or 2016

email me at pacheco18@comcast.net

Last edited by pacheco18; August 11th, 2010 at 10:03 AM.

Old August 11th, 2010, 10:21 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

We are big Cunard fans. The Queen Mary Suite aboard the QM2 for the world cruise would be spectacular. Where do I sign?

Jonathan

Explorer of the Seas - 2014
Queen Elizabeth - 2011 - Celebrity Summit - 2010 - HAL Eurodam - 2008
HAL Noordam - 4/5/08, 2007 - QM2 - 2009, 2006 x2, 2005, 2004 -
QE2
- 2003, 1971, 1970 - HAL Rotterdam 1974 - Royal Viking Line - 1979 - SS France - 1973 - Mississippi Queen - 1976 - Leonardo Da Vinci - 1969

Cunard Platinum Member

Old August 11th, 2010, 11:08 AM
20,000+ Club

I voted other.

If I could afford it, I'd upgrade the ship rather than the cabin. We'd sail on Crystal, Silversea, Regent or at least Oceania or Azamara.

I'd not really consider Cunard as an upgrade, it's pretty much the same as other main stream cruise lines. I'm sure the suite level service is better, we found the standard service similar to RCI or Celebrity. The food...same as any other cruise line. The entertainment was slightly better (singers/dancers/sets). Problem is, you're still on a great big cruise ship (liner).

Old August 11th, 2010, 12:49 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

A big suite on Oceania, our favorite line.

Old August 11th, 2010, 01:55 PM
5,000+ Club

Thumbs up

I dream of staying on one of the loft suites on Royal Caribbean's Oasis or Allure. Hubby promises we will do it for a fiftieth anniversary, but by then, maybe there will be even more fabulous lodgings on cruise ships.

Old August 11th, 2010, 05:15 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerc1944 View Post
I experienced the Epic's version of elitism from the wrong side. How did it work? Well, read the comments on the Epic's maiden TA voyage. Those in the suites enjoyed themselves and were generally quite pleased. The rest of us, generally not so much (though I'm sure that there are those who will vehemently disagree). I just felt that as a common passenger (ie, one inhabiting a regular cabin with a balcony), the ship was too noisy (overlapping entertainment venues, bowling alleys, gambling machines, etc.), had too many missing features (library, game/card rooms, quiet areas, promenade, etc), and didn't do enough to control smoking (especially in the gambling areas and folks pitching their cigarette butts down on uncovered balconies). The upper crust passengers had a place to escape, receive premier treatment and enjoy the views that were denied the less lofty.

I know the new ships with the elite areas have gotten bigger. But i'm wondering if some of the quiet places that you mention have disappeared (library, card rooms etc) have gone toward the private elite spaces, rather than just turned into noisy venues for the gen pop? In other words, do the gen pop folks have just as much cruise ship space as before, or has it decreased in order to free up room for private decks & areas for the suites?

Old August 11th, 2010, 05:35 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

I'm with Happy KS, I'd upgrade my cruiseline, Oceania, to the Med, love the idea of a country club casual dress code & they have fantastic Med. Itineraries. That would be my "dream cruise" It's funny how some people react negatively to the idea of special areas for those who paid more...I won't be able to eat in blu next year because we didn't pay for AQ. Nice for those who are though, love reading about their experiences. That's life folks, there are many places you don't get to go if you don't pay...Coveting is not pretty

Last edited by cruise kitty; August 11th, 2010 at 05:37 PM. Reason: i before e except in their oops!

Old August 12th, 2010, 01:41 AM
10,000+ Club

IMO, the idea that having suites and special perks for passengers who cruise in them is "classist" doesn't apply. Yes, I know there are those who do think of it that way and I've experienced suite passengers who were, not to put too fine a point on it, jerks and asses--and that was the time my hubby and I were lucky enough to also be cruising in a suite, just not the biggest, highest one. But the bottom line is that there are various levels of cabins and suites to accomodate all kinds of preferences. It really is no different from ticket types to events (sporting, music, etc.), air travel, train travel, and any number of things. I guess in that regard, my DH and I are classists because we only ever book sleeping compartments for train travel. Those levels include meals (rather than having to purchase as you go), wine tastings and other afternoon events, morning continental breakfast/coffee/juice, sodas and bottled water, a concierge, and stateroom porters. They also include a private parlor car for sleeping compartment passengers only.

There have always been "classes" in travel and there likely always will be. Of course, those classes should never come at the expense of other passengers. There should be adequate dining, entertainment, relaxation, etc. for all with the suite perks only being added to an already complete experience. If that's the case, then we see not a thing wrong with suites and the perks offered with them.

We are perfectly happy in our "usual" balcony or mini-suite (with no perks to speak of). While we certainly wish we could afford luxury and suites all the time, we do not wish for it to be taken away from those who do--We just want it for ourselves as well.

To answer the actual question, we'd love to try the luxury lines with full suites on the other lines being a perfectly acceptable second choice.

beachchick

Last edited by beachchick; August 12th, 2010 at 01:43 AM.

Old August 12th, 2010, 12:19 PM
5,000+ Club

I can’t imagine that I would go for the ultimate or most expensive cabin on any mass market ship. Kind of like buying the most expensive house in the neighbor. You have a great house, in just an ”OK” neighborhood.

I would rather spend the money and be on a more luxurious ship, where the service and food was superior. Hopefully the dress code issue would never come up as those passengers generally understand the concept of acceptable dinner clothing.

M
Sailed fewer on Carnival

favorite cruise? - the most recent!

Old August 12th, 2010, 02:35 PM
Cool Cruiser

I'm a fan of Princess, so I'd love a suite on a Princess ship any day!

Previous Cruises:
2013 - Princess Cruises - 7 day Mexico
2012 - Princess Cruises - 14 day Southern Caribbean
2011 - Princess Cruises - 14 day Southern Caribbean
2009 - Princess Cruises - 14 day Southern Caribbean
2009 - Princess Cruises - 7 day Mexico
2007 - Princess Cruises - 7 day Eastern Caribbean
2006 - Princess Cruises - 7 day Alaska 'Honeymoon!'
2005 - Princess Cruises - 10 day Mexico
2002 - Princess Cruises - 7 day Mexico
1999 - CruiseWest - 6 day Alaska
1998 - Princess Cruises - 11 day Panama Canal
1997 - Princess Cruises - 16 day Panama Canal
1997 - Princess Cruises - Inaugural Cruise - Dawn
1996 - Dolphin Cruises - 7 day Western Caribbean
1995 - Princess Cruises - 12 day Holy Land

The traveler was active; he went strenuously in search of people, of adventure, of experience. The tourist is passive: he expects interesting things to happen to him. He goes “sightseeing.” -Daniel J. Boorstin, American writer

Old August 12th, 2010, 02:48 PM
5,000+ Club

I would rather upgrade the cabin vs. the cruiseship.

I'd be bored on the luxury cruiselines.

I prefer the mass-market ships with the variety of entertainment and multiple restaurants .... but in a suite. I prefer Norwegian's suites, cause you get the most service there.....some of the other lines all you get for a suite is a larger cabin.
2003 - Coral Princess /
Celebrity Summit
2004 - Mariner of the Seas
2005- Star Princess /
Norwegian Jewel
2006 - Caribbean Princess /
Volendam
2007 - Costa Magica /
Carnival Legend
2008 - Norwegian Sky /
Eurodam
2009 - Norwegian Jewel /
Carnival Liberty
2010- Oasis of the Seas /
Celebrity Solstice/
Norwegian Pearl
2011 - Celebrity Eclipse /
Celebrity Millennium
2012 - Norwegian Star /
Carnival Valor
2013 - Crown Princess
2014 - Celebrity Century

Last edited by mafig; August 12th, 2010 at 02:55 PM.