what is PG like for single,solo travelers?

haikou

PG is offering some nice deals right now albeit not so nice for single travelers such as myself.has anyone here traveled on PG by themselves and if so how does one avoid eating dinner by oneself if you have open seating?

We met one woman travelling solo on our cruise. She was quite introverted and often chose a table alone rather than joining a larger table. There were very few solo travelers and I would think it would be a lonely voyage without companionship.

There was a group of about 8 women who made it a chick trip - they seemed to be having ball.

PG is offering some nice deals right now albeit not so nice for single travelers such as myself.has anyone here traveled on PG by themselves and if so how does one avoid eating dinner by oneself if you have open seating?

It sucks!:(

I feel quite welcome on Crystal as a single solo traveler, but the other luxury lines do not seem to welcome our business much, as noted by outrageous single supplement fees.I live in the country and find it difficult to meet new people at all, much less meet anyone with the means to travel, so I am between a rock and a hard place. It means J either go by myself or do not go at all, and at age 49 I do not want to put off traveling as am still young enough to run around,explore and have a great time,a nd also am blesed with great health...Many people are not comfortable spending much time alone and I am glad to say I am comfortable in my own skin and do not spending time alone. But as a semi sociable person, I would like company at meals and on excursions etc.I appreciate the feedback from PG alumi. Bottom line: I have to decide for myself if I think I will be comfortable on a Love Boat/Noah's Ark type ship

The ship's Daily did list meetings for solo travelers. I do not know how many guests attended those meetings but I did not notice many solo travelers aboard - just the one I mentioned. I ate in the large main dining room every night but one and always at a large table with "strangers" (who became friends). I think I would have noticed solo travelers if they were there.

Haikou, I think the PG is very welcoming to solo travelers. The lack of formality increases the chance of conversations with others. Also, they sometimes have specials where they do not charge a single supplement. Every time you come to the dining room you are asked where you would like to sit. You can join or begin a table for 8, or 6, or any smaller number. I don't see dining with others as an exception, but rather the rule. Our group of 3 usually enjoyed dining with others, and began or joined a table, usually a different one each evening. Met a lot of passengers that way.Also in the bar or in La Palette, when you enter as a lone woman, you can ask if a seat is taken at a table, and it is natural to begin conversation with the other passengers. Naturally on excursions you will be interacting with people, and it then becomes very natural to chat again when you see them, and possibly join them at the bar or dining room.Go for it. You will not feel in any way a 5th wheel on the PG!.

Haikou, I think the PG is very welcoming to solo travelers. The lack of formality increases the chance of conversations with others. Also, they sometimes have specials where they do not charge a single supplement. Every time you come to the dining room you are asked where you would like to sit. You can join or begin a table for 8, or 6, or any smaller number. I don't see dining with others as an exception, but rather the rule. Our group of 3 usually enjoyed dining with others, and began or joined a table, usually a different one each evening. Met a lot of passengers that way.Also in the bar or in La Palette, when you enter as a lone woman, you can ask if a seat is taken at a table, and it is natural to begin conversation with the other passengers. Naturally on excursions you will be interacting with people, and it then becomes very natural to chat again when you see them, and possibly join them at the bar or dining room.Go for it. You will not feel in any way a 5th wheel on the PG!.

South Seas Sue - have you travelled solo on PG? While I would love to encourage the OP to "go for it," I would hate for her to be disappointed -- even depressed sailing solo on the PG. I agree that you do not have to eat dinner alone on the ship, but I just returned from the 10 day cruise and I honestly do not see it as a trip for the solo traveller. It is rather romantic - kind of a couples atmosphere -- and with few opportunities to spend meaningful time with other travelers. Just my take.

I feel quite welcome on Crystal as a single solo traveler, but the other luxury lines do not seem to welcome our business much, as noted by outrageous single supplement fees.I live in the country and find it difficult to meet new people at all, much less meet anyone with the means to travel, so I am between a rock and a hard place. It means J either go by myself or do not go at all, and at age 49 I do not want to put off traveling as am still young enough to run around,explore and have a great time,a nd also am blesed with great health...Many people are not comfortable spending much time alone and I am glad to say I am comfortable in my own skin and do not spending time alone. But as a semi sociable person, I would like company at meals and on excursions etc.I appreciate the feedback from PG alumi. Bottom line: I have to decide for myself if I think I will be comfortable on a Love Boat/Noah's Ark type ship

I am the same age and solo on PG is no fun.It is definitely for couples,romantic getaway!I love to travel as well,however,continually get screwed by cruise lines and travel companies who will not implement a waiver for us single folks.

PG offers the waiver as a marketing ploy because when they have exceptionally low occupancy and lots of inventory available,as long as they get the E per person rate at least 1 per stateroom,they get their money.With double occupancy in an E,they are really making their profit.Also categories above E are all profit where they are charging extra for amenities,balcony,butler etc.

I did the Eastbound Figi 16 night May 22 - June 5, and I was not that impressed at all,kinda boring.

The benefit of a larger ship is that there is alot more happening and more people,more dining options that folks don't really notice.You have you own fun and have your own retreat at 200%.:(

I guess it is a matter of perspective and you just have to know yourself. My husband and I have been on many cruises and have found the large ships to be rather lonely places most of the time. Good thing we still enjoy each others company. We did have great assigned seating at a large table once and it was a blast, it was also on our honeymoon and all the others at our table of 10 were married the same day. We opted for the large table on another cruise and spent every meal with folks that were boring, agressive or complainers. It was miserable. On another giant ship we were sat with a group of 6 other couples that were invisible. Turns out a lot of people like to cut costs by never eating in the dining room so they don't have to tip the waiters at the end of the cruise. A shame really because on those types of ships the wait staff makes almost nothing and are highly dependant on those tips to earn any income. The PG is such a small ship you see people over and over again in different places so it is easy to chat and meet people. You said your concern was having someone to chat with while dining and I must agree with SSS, the dinner seating is always in flux and you are forever meeting new people. They tend to be much friendlier too, perhaps they know they will see you again several times so they invest more of themselves with those they meet along the way. There is no singles scene at all, but I really think you'll find nearly everyone to be very friendly.

The romance many speak of is simply in the beauty of the area. The activities are not geared to romance with the exception of events held specifically for those celebrating their anniversary or honeymooners and you would not be attending those anyway.

I think it comes down to whether or not you are a friendly person. If you like to be around people when you are on vacation and are at all outgoing, you should be able to meet many people. There was one single male traveling solo on our trip and many of us went out of our way to chat with him and try to include him. He wasn't unfriendly or rude, but he never showed any return interest so we gave up. Not everyone enjoys being around people. You have to know yourself, if you are looking to meet folks, you will if you respond to them.

We didn't have the horrible rough waters Tom Cruises had with the exception of one night and the Captain changed the itinerary to send us off in another direction to calmer waters. There isn't much open sea on the cruises that are less than 2 weeks long. You're in a new port each day so not too terribly much rocking at sea.

If you do decide to go, I'd suggest you eat at the largest possible tables at dinner. Maximize the opportunity to meet new people. Don't hesitate to go to any of the bars alone, there are always people there waiting for their traveling companions that are willing to chat while they wait. Tell the maitre'd that you are traveling solo and you'd love it if he placed you with the friendliest people he meets whenever possible. And, be sure to sign the roll call for your cruise so you have people you already chatted with online looking forward to meeting you before you ever arrive.

Good luck !

I say we go for it, Haikou. I'm seriously considering one of the Marquesas cruises myself since PG is offering a single supplement break on some of the cabins, especially 763 and 764 with a balcony. I'm looking for spectacular scenery, gorgeous seas, sandy beaches, colorful marine life, and a little fun in the sun. Anyone else on board who shares those interests, I should get along with just fine.

I say we go for it, Haikou. I'm seriously considering one of the Marquesas cruises myself since PG is offering a single supplement break on some of the cabins, especially 763 and 764 with a balcony. I'm looking for spectacular scenery, gorgeous seas, sandy beaches, colorful marine life, and a little fun in the sun. Anyone else on board who shares those interests, I should get along with just fine.

Hey Marilyn A. ! Wait for PG to become really desperate and they will offer singles the real deal.

This is when they "waive" the singles supplement,free R/T airfare LA/FP,no charge upgrade from F to B category and $200 stateroom credit!This is definitely the way to go!You'll also be able to get a day room (12:00p-8:00p) at the airport Hilton for $75 each way just for mentioning PG.Beats the heck at sitting around the airport.Also,PG will include a day room in FP.The Sheraton prior to embarkation is nice.However,upon disembarkation you do not want them to put you in the Radisson (sucks)but rather the Intercontinental.Just a few helpful tips.Have fun!:)

Hey Marilyn A. ! Wait for PG to become really desperate and they will offer singles the real deal.

This is when they "waive" the singles supplement,free R/T airfare LA/FP,no charge upgrade from F to B category and $200 stateroom credit!This is definitely the way to go!You'll also be able to get a day room (12:00p-8:00p) at the airport Hilton for $75 each way just for mentioning PG.Beats the heck at sitting around the airport.Also,PG will include a day room in FP.The Sheraton prior to embarkation is nice.However,upon disembarkation you do not want them to put you in the Radisson (sucks)but rather the Intercontinental.Just a few helpful tips.Have fun!:)

Hey Tom C, was this really the deal you got in May? Maybe you shouldn't be complaining so much about those sea cucumbers. :p Give us some hints: How did you get the IC instead of the Radisson, e.g.? Do you have a good TA or did you deal with PG directly?

Tom, Do you think it is time you moved on to a site where you will give positive feedback for a change? Before we went on our cruise I read your reports and thought, hell, what have we done? Now, we have just returned, and we honestly did NOT see any seacucumbers, and may we dare say, we loved every moment of our cruise. Maybe it is time you kept your negative comments to your self and let everybody keep their wonderful memories they have of this lovely cruise. I can't help wondering why you would bother to keep reading from this board if you did not enjoy your cruise, to be honest.

Hey Tom C, was this really the deal you got in May? Maybe you shouldn't be complaining so much about those sea cucumbers. :p Give us some hints: How did you get the IC instead of the Radisson, e.g.? Do you have a good TA or did you deal with PG directly?

Marilyn A. this is the deal!They put me at the Radisson,thats why I'm suggesting to others the IC!When still spending alot of money,believe me,those nasty sea cucumbers are still annoying.I dealt directly with PG for this journey.My TA was double my cost for thei trip.however,she'll get me an extra 12% discount on my other travel.Contact Nicole Deardorff at PG for negotiating.The sales consultants are good for getting you general info.Shawna Orendorff heads the air department and will assist you with your flight itinerary.Remember,the best values are when PG has low occupancy and alot of inventory to get rid of."Thats the trip you want"!

Tom, Do you think it is time you moved on to a site where you will give positive feedback for a change? Before we went on our cruise I read your reports and thought, hell, what have we done? Now, we have just returned, and we honestly did NOT see any seacucumbers, and may we dare say, we loved every moment of our cruise. Maybe it is time you kept your negative comments to your self and let everybody keep their wonderful memories they have of this lovely cruise. I can't help wondering why you would bother to keep reading from this board if you did not enjoy your cruise, to be honest.

My comments are based upon all experiences had on the PG.Unfortunately,most were negative,however,I feel that it is important for other travelers who have the same high expectations that I had,to be aware and informed of all the positive and negative aspects of a potential PG experience.

I apologize if you are offended by my comments,I suggest you do not read them.When folks are investing $5,000 - $10,000 per person on a vacation,sometimes they are grateful to read more than fairytales.

I'm happy you had no sea cucumbers,are you sure you were in FP?:)They were abundant in Cook Islands (One Foot) and Motu Mahana.

The best part of the trip was having the pleasure to talk,dine and meet with Jean Michel Cousteau.He was a guest aboard the PG for the Eastbound Figi trip.

I do appreciate all the feedback, positive and negative. What I don't want are surprises. My only remaining decision now is whether to sign up for the Marquesas trip in April, August, or November of next year. Should be able to afford more black pearls the longer I wait.:)

Incidentally, when is the PG scheduled for refurbishing? I wasn't aware of that.

I do appreciate all the feedback, positive and negative. What I don't want are surprises. My only remaining decision now is whether to sign up for the Marquesas trip in April, August, or November of next year. Should be able to afford more black pearls the longer I wait.:)

Incidentally, when is the PG scheduled for refurbishing? I wasn't aware of that.

I purchased a black pearl,17mm,round,A quality for $2,000 from Robert Wan in Bora Bora!Nobody believes me but its the truth.Incredible selection and best value of any retailer in FP!

I did a long post on shopping and on where to buy pearls.

I hope you enjoy your purchase and that you got a great deal.

I did not think the quality of the pearls at Robert Wan was outstanding. Their grading of pearls is not, IMO, to the same standard as other vendors. Their A's are other people's B's. Many are highly pitted. Nothing is regulated. Interestingly, the Robert Wan pearl quality was better in their IC hotel shops than in their Bora Bora shop.

Of course, that does not mean that you cannot get a great pearl there. Just my opinion.

I did a long post on shopping and on where to buy pearls.

I hope you enjoy your purchase and that you got a great deal.

I did not think the quality of the pearls at Robert Wan was outstanding. Their grading of pearls is not, IMO, to the same standard as other vendors. Their A's are other people's B's. Many are highly pitted. Nothing is regulated. Interestingly, the Robert Wan pearl quality was better in their IC hotel shops than in their Bora Bora shop.

Of course, that does not mean that you cannot get a great pearl there. Just my opinion.

No pits here Laraine!I must say that I have enjoyed all of your opinions!It must be awfully hot in Arizona this time of year.They say the heat can really get to ya!

Archived