Crowded Airport on Leaving Island...

pacaduli

OK, so I have read numerous posts and reviews that talk about the awful arrangement and wait time in lines at the airport on the nite that we leave to go back home...that would be Saturday nite at 11pm.

Can anyone comment on their experiences?

Is there a way to avoid the crowds?

If we go before the 'group' to check in early, the counter isn't open and it seems we would be waiting in line.

If we go with the 'group' then we will be in a looong line.

Has PG addressed this in recent months, I wonder?

Any comments (or hints) would be appreciated.

~~Carol

Was not remotely a problem for us on the Aug 14 cruise.

We were picked up at 7:45 from the IC for a 10 pm departure. Check in took about 20 minutes (lots of agents) and Tax Free line took 5 minutes. We had plenty of time to buy a coke and water for $12.

I agree there's not much you can do. Getting there a bit early is a good thing, although you're right the counters won't be open.

Last time we were in Business class, and that didn't help with the check-in because they only had two counters for business, we were effectively in line with everybody else.

But another time we got there in good time and were that lloonngg line, with all kinds of people.

PG Cruises can't do much, there are plenty of other tourists there too, not just cruisers.

Sorry, I know this is not very helpful.

There were 2 business class counters - both empty.

Seems like ATN has its act together. I fly constantly on business. I thought things ran very smoothly. They handed out hand luggage tags while we were on line and distributed US customs forms during that time as well.

Perhaps it's because we did NOT get there early. I usually do get to the airport very early but I was dependent on the PG transfer. 8pm checkin worked just fine.

OK, so I have read numerous posts and reviews that talk about the awful arrangement and wait time in lines at the airport on the nite that we leave to go back home...that would be Saturday nite at 11pm.

Can anyone comment on their experiences?

Is there a way to avoid the crowds?

If we go before the 'group' to check in early, the counter isn't open and it seems we would be waiting in line.

If we go with the 'group' then we will be in a looong line.

Has PG addressed this in recent months, I wonder?

Any comments (or hints) would be appreciated.

~~Carol

Carol,the Papeete airport sucks going home!Unless you stay over (Mon./Tues.) as I preiviously mentioned,be prepared for a hot lengthy checkin!

You only have one other option!Take a taxi 1-2 hours early from your day room hotel.This will give you a huge leap ahead.That way you can enjoy a meal and drink in the airport while waiting for your flight.Business Class ($800.00) additional one way will get you priority so that you are able to skip all the lines but is the most expensive!

Leaving the peacefulness of the ship and being slammed with real like at the airport was such a bummer! You really know the vacation is over. That being said, it really wasn't too bad, the line moved fairly quickly, and after a bit of a wait we were ready to board the plane.

• 2 weeks later...

The last time we left Tahiti, we got there an hour and a half before departure, and there was nobody there in line at the ticket counter. Go upstairs, there are couches and ceiling fans, plus there is a lounge for Business class passengers. We have been through the airport 4 times, and there are always just a few people up there. It sure beats the crowds down below.

• 2 weeks later...
Carol,the Papeete airport sucks going home!Unless you stay over (Mon./Tues.) as I preiviously mentioned

This doesn't always work, by the way. It depends on other tourism loads. With tourism down so badly over the past few years, it's probably better, but there are still lots of divers and other land tourists coming and going. And the occasional cruise.

We are thinking of the Air France too. I am wondering about the difference between flying AF and Air Tahiti Nui. AF leaves the day we get into port at 8 am.

Maybe someone can help us out. :)

We recently returned from the 14 night Marquesas cruise, and flew Air France. We had to fly them because we used the Amex buy-one-business, get one, and they wouldn't do it on ATN.

The plane was fine. Business on AF was not quite as comfortable as 'Club World' on British Air, but that's the only other long haul I can compare to, have never flown ATN. Still, we had no complaints with the service, meals, and were able to catch some contiguous sleep.

On the way over, we landed at 5am the day of our sailing, so booked a 'day room', with checkout of 2pm. Don't know what I would have done otherwise, needed the space to sleep for a bit, until the city woke up. We basically slept a few hours, breakfasted and wandered the city and market, then got on the ship right at 3 when they allowed.

The one big (to me) down side to the AF itinerary was on leaving - our flight was 7:30, not 8, and that makes for a very early disembarkation (we got taxi at 5); so you do not get a chance to hit the market on the last day. We hit it on the first day, but at that point did not know what we would pick up in the islands, nor what was good to buy, what was a nice specimen, etc. I would have liked the ability to run through one more time afterwards, to get the few things I might have missed, or pick up an extra of something I liked, thought of another person back home, etc.

But, back to the original question about how Air France was, I would have no hesitation about booking again. Line at airport to leave was longer than I expected, but not horrible. We were on business line; shorter than the economy line, but that one may have moved faster due to more attendants! Only one in AF business. For people flying First, they got a bit of a help; someone came out to them on line and took their luggage for them, but they still had to wait on line for the attendant to check in. Then after the checkin, up to the lounge, comfortable, no problem.

HTH

But, back to the original question about how Air France was, I would have no hesitation about booking again.

HTH

Thank you for the AF review.

On your 5am arrival to Tahiti, what time were you actually out of the airport, through with baggage & customs, etc?

On your 5am arrival to Tahiti, what time were you actually out of the airport, through with baggage & customs, etc?

We were out at the taxi stand quite quickly. I can't remember, but probably no more than 20-30 min. The bags came off in a short amount of time, basically all they cared about was that you had no food or agriculture products. I believe there were separate lines for European Union passports, and all others. Our line was actually shorter, though staffed by fewer customs attendants. But I don't remember it taking long.

Our arrival gummed up at that point. We had arranged a car to take us to the hotel. The hotel had mixed up the dates and not put us on any of the car lists. We probably should have just flagged a taxi at that point, but being unfamiliar, we hung around the company that was supposed to have had a car for us, as he told us he would take care of us. That turned out to be a shared ride with 4 other fare groups, after all other fares from our flight had been put into their cars. So I think we paid for a private car and ended up with what was, essentially, a taxi. And waited for the ride for about an hour. Too tired to argue...

• 3 weeks later...
I would rather have a root canel done without anesthesia than pay to get on an Air France flight ever again. Worst travel experience of my life.

Opinions are important, egret. Won't you please share what happened?

AF canceled me and my family of 6 off a flight to Paris two days in a row in Atlanta. Had business class boarding passes in our hands. Apparently since we booked through Delta and the flight was oversold, AF cancelled us out. Wrote letters and tried to complain to AF and never was answered with even a letter explaining anything. We lost the first 3 days of our vacation in Europe when we went for the 60th D Day commemoration. I guess that combined with CDG being an awful airport just leaves me with permanent heart burn towards AF.

Archived