Liquor stores in San Juan

stanjj111

Would like to pick up some wine or champagne before our cruise. We are staying one night in the Condado are, Holiday Inn (near Wydham I think). We are leaving on the Constellation from Old San Juan the next day. Can anyone tell me of a liquor store within walking distance of either of these areas? Thanks, Stan

Stan,

I've been to Puerto Rico several times, unfortunately champagne and wine is more expensive in Puerto Rico. I'm not sure exactly where you can buy liquor, I usually go to the grocery store when I'm there.

You can get Liquor just before you board.

At both pier areas - If I remember rightly - there are stores you can get it in.

Great prices.

Bring your carry bag with you.

As for wine.... I never really looked.

Soda if you need it is up in town off one of the main plazas.

There are two drug stores up there and a super market.

About a 1/4 mile walk up into old town from the pier.

Excellent duty free area at the pier, just before you board the ship - we always get our gin and rum there!!! Not so sure about the prices of wine and champagne because we never buy that, but the store is very well stocked with most things so I'm sure you'll be able to get something to your taste.

Yes, the liquor store is practically at the entrance to where you board the ship (at least it was when we did an RC cruise out of San Juan). It was kinda weird... we went to the store, bought our liquor, put it in our duffle bag, and then walked over and put the the duffle bag through the x-ray as we were boarding. It felt a little dishonest, but I'm sure they know that everyone does it. You'll see when you get there... the store is SO close to the boarding area that they're practically inviting people to stock up. :)

pick up what you need at the duty free shops at the embarkation peir: one warning, put it somewhere that won't be noticed if you buy hard stuff: Celebrity convescated ours and returned it at the end of the cruise, but only after 3 phones calls did it arrive. We were not happy campers: didn't mind them taking it, did mind waiting til almost midnight the last night to get it back. Others on the ship were pretty upset as well. We did bring cheap but rather good wine on with no trouble. We got it also at the duty free ships. Infact you can board the ship, settle into your cabins and then exit, walk back the shops and take your time looking around. happy cruisin NMNita

Stan,

Let me clarify, If you buy hard liquors prices are wonderful at the supermarket or prior going on to the ship. My husband and I drink wine and champagne quite often, but prices are not very good on these items. We usually take a bottle of champagne with us. We were on the constellation last year and you sail out of the Pan Am Pier (think I spelled correctly), there is one liquor store. Make sure when you come up to the ship it is in your carry-on bag. There was staff sitting at a table right before you board taking all liquor. By the way count down is on, see you next week. Also, when we going home after the cruise, prices at San Juan airport were better there than St. Thomas for hard liquor. Brought by brother back some Bombay Sapphire Gin.

Carolyn

Can someone confirm whether or not the Constellation leaves from the Pan Am Pier? My understanding is that the Pan Am Pier is pretty isolated in terms of being near stores. Is that correct. I'm just thinking that the last time we docked in San Juan (on a HAL cruise) we were very close to Old San Juan and stores. If the Connie does leave from the Pan Am Pier, does it have a duty free liquor store too?

Stan,

Hey we did the same type thing back in October on the Galaxy. We had purchased our wine and champagne state side and had it in our carry on. We take a lot of wine with us because we share and we like what we like. For seven days we took about 10 bottles. We had no problems at the peir. I guess with a $16 uncorking fee plus the 15% grats. X feels they get their share. Either way while in San Juan boyfriend discovered they sell Presidente(sp?) beer made in the Dominican Republic. He swore this was the best beer ever sold (he spent 9 months in D.R. on a job, fond memories). So, while in San Juan I bought a six pack. We did not drink but two before our sailing so I just put then in a heavy plastic bag, like a beach bag, filled it full of ice and put it on belt. They x-rayed it, no problem. We went to our stateroom and before sailing enjoyed a cold one on our balconey.

Something else to keep in mind. When you buy liquor at a non-duty free shop, keep your receipt. This way if you have proof that you do not have to claim anything not consumed on the cruise to customs. Since Puerto Rico is part of the U.S.:D

when we were shopping in the duty free shop in san juan we were handed a flyer that stated: Dear passengersection 4032 of the puerto rico internal revenue code and it's regulation 3022 grants the right of every passenger older than 18 years of age, who is traveling outside of Puerto Rico to buy tax free alcoholic beverages in our stores for their consumption.Purchasing Tax Free is your right as a passenger, don't let anyone interfere with your rights. Any intent by any person to take possession of you alcoholic beverages should be reported to agents of the Puerto Rico Liquor Bureau of the Puerto Rico Treasury Department at: Negociada de bebidas alcoholicas PO Box 9024140 San Juan, PR 009092-4140. When boarding with a bottle of absolut in carry on bag we were told they would need to hold it - we held up the flyer for them to see and we were waved on without anything else being said.

We bought several bottles of liquor at the pier duty-free shop. The stuff that we carried in a box given to us by the liquor store was taken away at the ship (and returned to us the night before disembarkation). The bottles we had in our plastic shopping bags with other stuff weren't touched. I think the x-ray people don't care since they're only interested in security issues. The liquor-takeaway folks are only looking for obvious packages.

So the solution is to ignore the handy carry-box given to you by the liquor store folks, and use something else.

We bought several bottles of liquor at the pier duty-free shop. The stuff that we carried in a box given to us by the liquor store was taken away at the ship (and returned to us the night before disembarkation). The bottles we had in our plastic shopping bags with other stuff weren't touched. I think the x-ray people don't care since they're only interested in security issues. The liquor-takeaway folks are only looking for obvious packages.

So the solution is to ignore the handy carry-box given to you by the liquor store folks, and use something else.

you are exactly right about that: DH had a bottle of scotch in a back pack; no problem, it was the box that got us: as for Band and the flyer, my guess the crew just didn't feel like hassling with the whole thing. If the brochure says you can not bring on booze the line has every right to enfore their policies. NMNita

Archived