Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Critic News & Feature Articles

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Cruise Critic News & Feature Articles Up-to-the minute News & Feature Articles from Cruise Critic

Old September 18th, 2010, 04:00 PM
Sr. Manager, Community
Cruise Critic

Post Cruise West Ceases Operations After Attempts to Sell Fail

Cruise Critic has just posted the following news:

Cruise West Ceases Operations After Attempts to Sell Fail

Read the entire news article...

Last edited by Dan Askin; September 20th, 2010 at 10:33 AM.

Old September 19th, 2010, 03:54 PM
Cool Cruiser

Once again, all that comes up when trying to open these message board items is
Cruise Ship Reviews. Something is still wrong with the "News and Features" site.

Old September 19th, 2010, 05:51 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejbmorr View Post
Once again, all that comes up when trying to open these message board items is Cruise Ship Reviews. Something is still wrong with the "News and Features" site.

I think it's just a bad link. Try this one instead: Cruise West closes

Bill

Old September 20th, 2010, 12:48 AM
5,000+ Club

I am so sorry to learn of Cruise West's demise. We enjoyed three glorious weeks with them in Alaska back in 1997, and a wonderful week on the Columbia and Snake Rivers in 1999.

Unfortunately, and sadly, after Dick West Senior passed it seemed that the family-run company had lost focus. Rather than concentrating on Alaska, the area in which Dick West had built the company and his reputation, as well as Napa, Baja and the Columbia and Snake, the new management kept adding more and more itineraries, stretching their resources further and further around the globe. The people in charge, it appeared, no longer felt it worthwhile to focus on the handful of areas Cruise West had served so well in the past. Rather, there seemed no place the company would not consider going, even planning Great Lakes and Mississippi River trip within the coming year. The younger Dick West and his minions spread themselves way too thin ... and now, due to their poor judgement and business sense, there are 65 people in Seattle unemployed and a host of others in their itinerary cities suffering financially.

Dick West Senior surely is spinning in his grave because his kids sent his company into the toilet. Yes, the economy has been dreadful ... that serves as a handy rationale for the company's failure, but it is far from the real reasons for Cruise West's cessation of operation.

Last edited by pms4104; September 20th, 2010 at 12:53 AM.

Old September 20th, 2010, 09:30 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Fantastic Trip!

I recently completed a fantastic trip with Cruise West from Seattle to Fairbanks: 10 days on the "Spirit of Yorktown" and then a land package to Anchorage, Denali, and Fairbanks. The cruise was amazing! The ship was comfortable and relaxed with great service and crew ... I loved the atmosphere onboard and the emphasis on nature and culture. I'm so sorry to hear that Cruise West probably won't make it: they seem to fill a unique role in the small ship cruise arena.

Old September 20th, 2010, 10:47 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by captbill View Post
I think it's just a bad link. Try this one instead: Cruise West closes
Thank you Capt Bill. I appreciate the good link to the Cruise West story.

Old September 20th, 2010, 02:22 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Connecting with other past guests - Cruise West will be missed

My family sailed aboard the Spirit of Endeavour last summer in Alaska. It was such a great trip. The crew was wonderful and we met so many nice people. I would love to connect with other Cruise West past guests and have set up a Facebook group. All who have traveled and would like to connect and share photos and memories are welcome. http://*******/cruisewestmemories

Old September 24th, 2010, 02:25 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by camp637 View Post
Unfortunately, and sadly, after Dick West Senior passed it seemed that the family-run company had lost focus. Rather than concentrating on Alaska, the area in which Dick West had built the company and his reputation, as well as Napa, Baja and the Columbia and Snake, the new management kept adding more and more itineraries, stretching their resources further and further around the globe...The younger Dick West and his minions spread themselves way too thin ... and now, due to their poor judgement and business sense, there are 65 people in Seattle unemployed and a host of others in their itinerary cities suffering financially.

Dick West Senior surely is spinning in his grave because his kids sent his company into the toilet. Yes, the economy has been dreadful ... that serves as a handy rationale for the company's failure, but it is far from the real reasons for Cruise West's cessation of operation.
You must be thinking of CHUCK West, the indefatigable founder of the company. I still have a copy of his book, "Mr. Alaska," that he personally autographed during a Sea of Cortez voyage on the Spirit of Endeavour. It is still a great book.

I, too, thought the company had overextended itself in a bad tourism economy that got worse by the day.

My wife and I sailed on Spirit of Oceanus on one of the first legs of its world cruise earlier this year. We sailed from Oman to Egypt with a passenger load of 33. The Oceanus had a full passenger capacity of over a hundred. No doubt fears of Somali pirates took their toll on bookings for this particular leg, but there was not that many more passengers boarding the ship in Egypt for the next leg. And the crew kept us safe and secure during what turned out to be a fantastic voyage that I will remember the rest of my life.

We are heartbroken at the sale of the Oceanus. It was the best ship in the CW fleet, with standard cabins luxuriously outfitted and far larger than most mass-market lines' mini-suites. We sailed on her in 2006 when Cruise West had begun Japan sailings and had a tremendous time. The two Oceanus cruises were among the best cruises we had ever been on. The crew treated us like royalty on the Japan sailing -- and some even remembered us when we boarded in Oman earlier this year. You can't get that from a mass-market cruise line.

I hope the new owners of the Sea Spirit retain the former CW crew members, who are in our thoughts at this time.

And, yes, Chuck West is spinning in his grave...