Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Ports of Call > Caribbean > St. Martin/St. Maarten

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old October 6th, 2010, 07:39 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Sonesta Great Bay Day pass for 25pp or just take water taxi to Great Bay?

Is the Sonesta Great Bay resort worth the 25pp day pass or is it better to just take the water taxi for 6pp to Great bay and do your own thing?? Anyone done the day pass thing??

Old October 6th, 2010, 07:40 PM
5,000+ Club

What's included in the day pass?

gary

Old October 6th, 2010, 07:51 PM
Cool Cruiser

Day pass for 25pp includes 2 drinks, lunch(buffet), use of lounge chairs, pools and some watersports.

Old October 6th, 2010, 08:49 PM
5,000+ Club

Just one more question -- does that include transportation?

gary

Old October 6th, 2010, 08:56 PM
Cool Cruiser

No that does not include transportation, but the website says they can provide transportation from the ship for 8.pp if you want....

Ad Sponsored By
Old October 6th, 2010, 11:07 PM
5,000+ Club

OK.

The $8 pp is the standard taxi rate to the Sonesta/Divi area.

I can't recommend anyone going into the water of Great Bay because I have serious (researched) problems with the probability of pollution in the bay.

That would be anywhere along Great Bay Beach and at the Sonesta Great Bay Resort.

If you're ok with just the pool there, then ok. If you're ok with just sunning on the beach anywhere along Great Bay, then ok.

As you state, you could take the Water Taxi downtown for $6 pp. Actually, you could walk it in 20 minutes or so, each way. The beach is at the heart of Philipsburg.

There are many options for beach chair rentals and cheap drinks along the beach, but I can't price them as we don't go there.

Some great choices for lunch there in downtown Philipsburg, as well. I can recommend if you're interested.

But I wouldn't go into the water anywhere there.

OK, $25 pp plus $8 pp for the transportation, so we're looking at $66.

What else could we get for that?

Taxi to Orient for two, round trip (wait for the taxi to fill) = $24.

Let's stay at Orange Fever

Chair, umbrella and first drink of choice, $7 pp x 2 = $14
Hamburger, fries, salad, $8 pp x 2 = $16
Additional Beer and a rum punch $2 + $4 = $6

I think that totals to $60.

It's not just the money, and I'm just trying to illustrate that it doesn't have to be expensive to visit Orient.

Orient Beach is an experience not to be missed. I'd recommend it in any event, but in this case it looks like you could save enough for another round of drinks.

gary

Old October 7th, 2010, 06:49 AM
Cool Cruiser

hi was wondering what water sports are available on orient beach any info much appreciated

Old October 7th, 2010, 01:14 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtaylor View Post
OK.

The $8 pp is the standard taxi rate to the Sonesta/Divi area.

I can't recommend anyone going into the water of Great Bay because I have serious (researched) problems with the probability of pollution in the bay.

That would be anywhere along Great Bay Beach and at the Sonesta Great Bay Resort.

If you're ok with just the pool there, then ok. If you're ok with just sunning on the beach anywhere along Great Bay, then ok.

As you state, you could take the Water Taxi downtown for $6 pp. Actually, you could walk it in 20 minutes or so, each way. The beach is at the heart of Philipsburg.

There are many options for beach chair rentals and cheap drinks along the beach, but I can't price them as we don't go there.

Some great choices for lunch there in downtown Philipsburg, as well. I can recommend if you're interested.

But I wouldn't go into the water anywhere there.

OK, $25 pp plus $8 pp for the transportation, so we're looking at $66.

What else could we get for that?

Taxi to Orient for two, round trip (wait for the taxi to fill) = $24.

Let's stay at Orange Fever

Chair, umbrella and first drink of choice, $7 pp x 2 = $14
Hamburger, fries, salad, $8 pp x 2 = $16
Additional Beer and a rum punch $2 + $4 = $6

I think that totals to $60.

It's not just the money, and I'm just trying to illustrate that it doesn't have to be expensive to visit Orient.

Orient Beach is an experience not to be missed. I'd recommend it in any event, but in this case it looks like you could save enough for another round of drinks.

gary
Gary
Thank you so much for the details. We have a group of 8 and I am "kinda" in charge of the details on the islands and this has really helped ALOT!!! I thought I had read somewhere else about the water quality at Sonesta Great Bay and that would be a real bummer if we did not even feel comfortable walking in the water or doing any watersports. I think we will do exactly what you recommend and go to Orient in the am and maybe Maho in the afternoon for a bit.
Is "Orange Fever" a good place to hang out at Orient???

Again..thanks for the great details!!
Linda

Old October 7th, 2010, 07:39 PM
Cool Cruiser

Is this area the more modest as in just a topless area or fully naked ?
It looks great however, I do not want to take my DS where there will be fully naked people. Please no snide comments. He is my DS and we will raise him the way we want to.

Thanks.

Old October 7th, 2010, 08:35 PM
Cool Cruiser

Gary - I've read a little about the water quality at Great Bay as well. Have you read anything about Little Bay? We have a room reserved at Divi Little Bay to use as a day pass.

Thanks!

Old October 7th, 2010, 08:37 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by missygirl1 View Post
Gary
Thank you so much for the details. We have a group of 8 and I am "kinda" in charge of the details on the islands and this has really helped ALOT!!! I thought I had read somewhere else about the water quality at Sonesta Great Bay and that would be a real bummer if we did not even feel comfortable walking in the water or doing any watersports. I think we will do exactly what you recommend and go to Orient in the am and maybe Maho in the afternoon for a bit.
Is "Orange Fever" a good place to hang out at Orient???

Again..thanks for the great details!!
Linda
Orange Fever is at the top of my list for our next visit, but don't feel constrained. It was just an example. I highly recommend you walk a bit and pick a spot that suits your tastes. You can always wander over to a different spot for lunch if you wish. You'll notice pretty quickly when you cross into the high-rent district.

I thought that I had included these photos from last year in my original message, but didn't. Here they are:

(click)

gary

Old October 7th, 2010, 09:07 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke gs Daddy View Post
Is this area the more modest as in just a topless area or fully naked ?
It looks great however, I do not want to take my DS where there will be fully naked people. Please no snide comments. He is my DS and we will raise him the way we want to.

Thanks.
If you're referring to the beach bar(s) I referenced, yes, you will probably see toplessness there, or anywhere along Orient, but 99.9% of the full nudity is confined to the area south of Pedro's, which is nearer the right hand end of the beach when facing the water. There's even a line of rocks out into the water marking the line of demarcation.

That said, the standard taxi drop is at Pedro's, and as you get out there if you look to the south, towards the Club Orient sign, you will probably be able to see some fully nude beach goers.

(ckick)

gary

Old October 11th, 2010, 11:52 AM
Cool Cruiser

I emailed Sonesta Great Bay and got this response -
Unfortunately, you heard incorrectly, we do not offer day passes to our resort. Our resort is for the guest of the resort only.

:-(

Disney Fantasy - November 16, 2013
Carnival Dream - September 7, 2013
Carnival Legend - March 31, 2013
Disney Dream - January 27, 2013
Disney Fantasy - September 8, 2012
Celebrity Solstice - March 25, 2012
Carnival Fantasy Oct 12, 2011 Seminar at Sea
Disney Magic - April 9, 2011
Celebrity Solstice October 17, 2010
Coral Princess July 3, 2010
Costa Fortune, 28 February 2010
Royal Carib Monarch of the Seas 12 October 2009
Carnival Legend 14 December 2008
Carnival Inspiration 17 December 2007
Carnival Glory 29 September 2007
Carnival Liberty 17 December 2006
Carnival Inspiration May 2006
Carnival Sensation Oct 2003

Old October 11th, 2010, 01:18 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavteam View Post
I emailed Sonesta Great Bay and got this response -
Unfortunately, you heard incorrectly, we do not offer day passes to our resort. Our resort is for the guest of the resort only.

:-(
Maybe you have to go through Island Marketing. That is what my plan was. I had contacted them via email and they replied right away that there was space available for the day pass to Sonesta Great Bay. We have since decided to do something else. Here is the website for Island Marketing in St Maarten.
http://www.stmaartencruiseexcursions...BeachBreak.htm

Old December 8th, 2010, 03:45 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by missygirl1 View Post
Maybe you have to go through Island Marketing. That is what my plan was. I had contacted them via email and they replied right away that there was space available for the day pass to Sonesta Great Bay. We have since decided to do something else. Here is the website for Island Marketing in St Maarten.
http://www.stmaartencruiseexcursions...BeachBreak.htm
That's a different resort. Sonesta Great Bay isn't the one near the airport.

Monarch of the Seas '99 - Carnival Victory '00 - Celebrity Infinity '01 - Grandeur of the Seas '02 - Diamond Princess '04 - Carnival Miracle '06 - Celebrity Mercury '07 - Carnival Spirit '08 - HAL Oosterdam '08 - Carnival Conquest '09 - Emerald Princess '10 - Adventure of the Seas '10 - Carnival Glory '11 - Sapphire Princess '12 - Carnival Magic '12 - Caribbean Princess '13 - Carnival Dream '13 - Crown Princess '14 - Carnival Valor '14 - Jewel of the Seas '15

You haven't lived until you've cruised.

Old December 9th, 2010, 12:09 AM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHARTWICK View Post
That's a different resort. Sonesta Great Bay isn't the one near the airport.
I've been trying to figure out which resort your're referring to as "That's a different resort". But, yes, you're correct that Sonesta Great Bay is not near the airport.

gary

Old December 9th, 2010, 09:45 AM
Cool Cruiser

I was referring to the resort day pass that is booked through Island Marketing. That resort is not near the airport. The Sonesta resort near the airport does not sell day passes.

Monarch of the Seas '99 - Carnival Victory '00 - Celebrity Infinity '01 - Grandeur of the Seas '02 - Diamond Princess '04 - Carnival Miracle '06 - Celebrity Mercury '07 - Carnival Spirit '08 - HAL Oosterdam '08 - Carnival Conquest '09 - Emerald Princess '10 - Adventure of the Seas '10 - Carnival Glory '11 - Sapphire Princess '12 - Carnival Magic '12 - Caribbean Princess '13 - Carnival Dream '13 - Crown Princess '14 - Carnival Valor '14 - Jewel of the Seas '15

You haven't lived until you've cruised.

Old December 21st, 2010, 01:02 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtaylor View Post
If you're referring to the beach bar(s) I referenced, yes, you will probably see toplessness there, or anywhere along Orient, but 99.9% of the full nudity is confined to the area south of Pedro's, which is nearer the right hand end of the beach when facing the water. There's even a line of rocks out into the water marking the line of demarcation.

That said, the standard taxi drop is at Pedro's, and as you get out there if you look to the south, towards the Club Orient sign, you will probably be able to see some fully nude beach goers.

(ckick)

gary
Hello! You seem to be very knowledgeable about the beaches in St. Maarten. I, too, will be arriving in early January and thought, until now, that my family and I would just spend the day at the beach near the port. After reading this thread however I am having second thoughts. My only problem is we are a family of 6 with an 89 year old grandma. Will Pedro's be unaccessible to us? We have a walker (not a wheelchair). The nudity part doesn't bother us. Thanks for your reply.
Holland America 2001
NCL 1996, 1999, 2002, 2004, 2010, 2014
RCCL 1997, 1998, 2006, 2009, 2011, 2013
NCL Mediterranean, May 2010
Princess 2011
Celebrity 2013

Old December 21st, 2010, 01:55 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mar y Sol View Post
Hello! You seem to be very knowledgeable about the beaches in St. Maarten. I, too, will be arriving in early January and thought, until now, that my family and I would just spend the day at the beach near the port. After reading this thread however I am having second thoughts. My only problem is we are a family of 6 with an 89 year old grandma. Will Pedro's be unaccessible to us? We have a walker (not a wheelchair). The nudity part doesn't bother us. Thanks for your reply.
The taxi should be able to drop you off literally a few feet away from an entrance to Pedro's, and then it would be just a couple of short steps into the place.

(click)

They have chairs and umbrellas to rent immediately in front, on the beach.

gary

Old January 25th, 2011, 06:33 PM
Cool Cruiser

we went to sonesta great bay resort recently. Took a cab into town from the ship and walked along to beach to the resort. We asked the security guy where to get the passes and he said we could use the facilities for free and to just pay for drinks, so we did! We didn't go in the sea, just used the lovely infinity pool and had a great day.
Celebrity Eclipse - Western & Eastern Caribbean - 8th January 2011
Celebrity Eclipse - Cork - 3 May 2011
NCL Epic - Med - 16 Oct 2011
P&O Arcadia - Zeebrugge - 15 December 2011
Azamara Quest - Egypt/Holy Land/Greece - 7 May 2012
Celebrity Constellation - Amsterdam to Southampton - 5 Sept 2012
Celebrity Equinox - Western Med - 16 November 2012
P&O Azura - Zeebrugge/Guernsey - 18 April 2013
RCCL Adventure of the Seas - Cherbourg - 5 May 2013
RCCL Navigator Of The Seas - Eastern Med - 20 October 2013