century 10/13 cruise cancelled in Nice

ghstudio

We left Barcelona on schedule arriving villefranche this morning. two hours after our scheduled departure time, the captain announced that we had two bad rudders, the ship has to go to drydock and our cruise is cancelled. Likely that the 10/25 transatlantic will also be cancelled.

We are to stay on the boat until Saturday and then they will apparently let us off in Villefranche (tenders). No idea at this point how they will handle our actually getting home...they have already committed to full refunds for this cruise plus a 25% credit towards our next cruise....but it's not clear about what they will do to get us out of Nice...hotels, flights, change fees....and we were back to back coming to Miami....and have no clue how they will handle this for us.

Watch this thread for more when we know more.

Ghstudio....now aboard the non moving century in Nice

Sorry to hear that. I really hope it all works out for you and the rest of the passengers. It must be awful to fly all that way and when you are just beginning your cruise, this happens. What a mess! We will be following your posts. Glad it did not happen mid-Atlantic, though, which would be far worse. Guess they want all of their ducks in a row before disembarking all the passengers.

Really sorry to hear this. Can you please keep us posted?

I had been booked on this cruise and had to cancel. Have been so sad about missing it. Your news has made me feel very bad for those of you missing your cruise, not to mention the ta. Good luck to you.

Anne

We left Barcelona on schedule arriving villefranche this morning. two hours after our scheduled departure time, the captain announced that we had two bad rudders, the ship has to go to drydock and our cruise is cancelled. Likely that the 10/25 transatlantic will also be cancelled.

We are to stay on the boat until Saturday and then they will apparently let us off in Villefranche (tenders). No idea at this point how they will handle our actually getting home...they have already committed to full refunds for this cruise plus a 25% credit towards our next cruise....but it's not clear about what they will do to get us out of Nice...hotels, flights, change fees....and we were back to back coming to Miami....and have no clue how they will handle this for us.

Watch this thread for more when we know more.

Ghstudio....now aboard the non moving century in Nice

I feel for you. We were on HAL's Maasdam in Aug/Sept, and after 2 port stops from Montreal headed back to Boston missing the rest of the ports because of a hurricane warning (which never happened). Though not the same as a mechanical issue it was just disappointing.

Btw, Century is the only Celebrity ship we have been on and more than once.

Amazing how luck or misfortune can strike.

As a result of the uncertainties with Icelandic volcanic activity earlier this year I cancelled this cruise.

I had been kicking myself ever since because the price had been great and the itinerary from Barcelona to Venice was spectacular.

A month or so ago we booked the Transatlantic...

I also talked to Captain's Club and the Transatlantic is still scheduled...

The news should be on the Celebrity website soon.

Must be a big let-down :(

Sounds odd both rudders gone bad ??

Take advantage if you can, try and get up into the hills behind Nice - Vence/St Paul, Tourettes-sur-Loup and so on, very picturesque places with a strong art connection to some big names. Go a few miles west to Antibes, nice little place with some fine hardware in the yacht basin:) not to forget the Picasso museum.

Hope it all works out OK.

update....

C is flying over some folks to help rebook everyone. They have busses scheduled to Barcelona (10 hours) starting tonight and running thru Sunday. Those with C insurance are being handled by C (somehow), those who have their own flight plans are being given $250 to cover ticket change costs. No one knows what they are going to do for b2b cruisers who have no tickets to exchange....

free internet is working...free phone calls don't help because you can't get a line to call...just too many trying to change their plans.

update....

C is flying over some folks to help rebook everyone. They have busses scheduled to Barcelona (10 hours) starting tonight and running thru Sunday. Those with C insurance are being handled by C (somehow), those who have their own flight plans are being given $250 to cover ticket change costs. No one knows what they are going to do for b2b cruisers who have no tickets to exchange....

free internet is working...free phone calls don't help because you can't get a line to call...just too many trying to change their plans.

We are all hoping the transatlantic is not cancelled. Our thoughts are with all the passengers and crew members.

I wonder what happened. A few years back Millennium struck an under water rock while anchored at Villefranche, damaging a pod... the cruise got cancelled as well (as did the next one) and passengers were flown home. This sounds awefully similar!

Good luck to all. Remember, this is not an every day situation, so it will take the cruise line a few days to sort everything out... and being angry won't make things go faster.

Best Regards,

Floris

Wow, that is really unfortunate to happen so early into the cruise. $250 for the inti'l ticket... that would just cover the fee to change the ticket. The airline can charge the difference in cost of airfare....so if your portion of the ticket for the return flight was $500 and now it costs $1000 to fly home(think last minute ticket from Barcelona to Ny) you have to pay the difference....:eek:

I just hope the airlines cooperate....LOL it should be interesting.

I think this is going to be a good infomercial for travel insurance

CC

Dear friends:

Please see my threads on the Volcanic ash and on the Regent Board with regard to the regent Voyager cancellation, and please hold your guns in what is a very tense, disappointing and probably frantic situation.

For my fellow Europeans who purchased their cruises from Celebrity in Europe or from any EU travel agency:

Celebrity must arrange to get you home at no cost to you, not just give you a flat sum of money to "help" with changing your airline tickets.

If they cannot get you home immediately, they must pay for your hotel, meals, surface transportation and telephone calls until they can get you home.

You are entitled to a full refund IN CASH of your cruise, round-trip airline tickets (you wouldn't have flown to Barcelona had the cruise been cancelled and the fact it was cancelled the next day has nothing to do with it) and other related expenses (hotels, tours, etc.) PLUS compensation of 25% of everything you paid (cruise, air, hotels, etc.) in CASH. Do not feel obliged to accept future cruise certificates unless you feel that they are a better offer. All of this must be paid to you within 30 days.

The above is the law in the EU so stick to your rights. There is no need to use any private travel insurance you may have purchased. If you choose to use the travel insurance because you feel it is more convenient, the insurance company will probably ask you to sign over your rights against Celebrity, because the insurance company will not allow Celebrity to evade its legal responsibilities.

U.S. passengers:

Unfortunately, you don't appear to have the same laws in the United States. However, please read what is written above because it really is only a matter of logic and fairness. Start by initiating chargeback procedures on your credit cards, use your travel insurance, make a journal of everything that is happening to you since the announcement that the cruise is cancelled, keep all receipts for expenses you are incurring, and make sure you stick to your guns about what is fair when making your claims with Celebrity.

I hope everyone gets home safe and sound.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

Archived