No More Paying With Dollars in Mexican Tourist Areas

I just got back from Mexico on the Mariner of the Seas and US $$ are still being accepted freely for purchases under $100. If you plan to spend over $100 either get Pesos from a bank ATM or use your Credit card at well established business.

if they want to sell it to you they will take USD. I think that if i want to pay for a item and it is $150.00 and they say they only take peso's and I say ok nevermind they wouldn't fallow me to the door and say ok we will take your money in the form of USD? Fact is there are just too many people there that only have USD on them and they will not pass up a sell. I mean come on have you ever been to cozumel?

I look at this as im on vacation from america , carrying american dollars . If they want to sell me something they can take my money or I wont buy. Im buying something i probaly dont need . Im being a tourist spreading the wealth. If more peoply do the same they will stop this nonsence . CARL

I look at this as im on vacation from america , carrying american dollars . If they want to sell me something they can take my money or I wont buy. Im buying something i probaly dont need . Im being a tourist spreading the wealth. If more peoply do the same they will stop this nonsence . CARL

Wonder how well that would go over in France, England or Spain...

Wonder how well that would go over in France, England or Spain...

Exactly. I have to wonder if people are coming here to experience this country and culture or to force their own.

I have said it before and I'll say it again. As inconvenient as it may be for tourists, if it means that I never have a helicopter land in my neighborhood and hear gunshots again, I'll take the inconvenience. If they don't get it under control, and the problems are escalating, then you can say good bye to the ports of call here.

People here want to share their generosity by bringing things like school supplies to ports of call. Why don't you make the country a little bit safer for those kids and the rest of the citizens.

Exactly

1. Their was a very long thread about this a short time ago.

2. Article is wrong it does not apply to tourist areas don't waste you time with AOL for cruising news CC News http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/ is the best for cruising news and would be the first to post it if it was a problrm.

3. I was in Cozumel twice in the last month the last date was 10/18/10 and US $ were what everything was priced in, in fact I was having a few margaritas :rolleyes: They were priced at $6 ea. 2 for $8, one patron wanted to pay in Pesos and they had to get a calculator to figure out the price! I am not the only one to post this http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=26396882&postcount=132

Are you kidding me? I would never use a credit card in Mexico!

Seriously? Come on', nothing wrong with using your credit card in Mexico as long as it is in shops and restaurants in tourist areas. Most (if not all credit card) companies will be flagged if there is suspicious activity on a card and anything that could potentially be charged by anyone other than the rightful card owner would be contested. You wouldn't be liable for those fraudulent purchases.

Now, back to the issue at hand. While it is very convenient to go to Mexico and use our U.S dollars, we are in a foreign country and should by all means use their currency! No other country in the world accepts U.S dollars so why should Mexico? We can't just assume that they want U.S dollars and that it is superior.

Would you expect the local businesses in your town in the US to accept peso's??:rolleyes:

Now, back to the issue at hand. While it is very convenient to go to Mexico and use our U.S dollars, we are in a foreign country and should by all means use their currency! No other country in the world accepts U.S dollars so why should Mexico? We can't just assume that they want U.S dollars and that it is superior.

That's the American way. It never ceases to amaze me to see the callousness of people.

Take the cab drivers for example. They take your us money, but they have to take time out of their lives to go to a bank to exchange your money. Whether they deposit it or exchange it, they are only allowed so much us$$ a month. What are they supposed to do when they reach the max? Not work?? The cost of getting a taxi permit is like $80,000. They need to be working.

It's not your money they're worried about. They are trying to prevent money laundering by the drug cartels. You remember them, the people who sell drugs to your willing fellow Americans. We could help Mexico alot more if we would convince our drug consuming fellow citizens that they are the real cause of the problem. The unfortunate losers are the Mexican people!

Are you kidding me? I would never use a credit card in Mexico!

I've used my credit card in Cozumel many times. I'd rather not carry large amounts of cash around. Just be sure to let your bank know where you're going...

I posted this information as I didn't want anyone planning on potentially making a large purchase (over $100) in Mexico being stuck since they don't have Pesos (time is short in port).

We have used U.S. Dollars, Pesos & our Credit Cards while traveling in Mexico for purchases. Some vendors will give you a larger discount if you are paying in pesos rather than using a credit card (due to the processing fees involved). Most Mexico ports to have money exchange centers near where the ship docked.

I agree that they are also trying to minimize the money laundering. My heart goes out to the citizens of Mexico and the unfortunate environment in "some" areas of the country.

Thats gotta be one of the most arrogant and obnoxious things I've read here a while.

Wow.:eek:

I wonder what "per transaction" really means? Four of us are booked on one reservation for Nachi Cocom in Cozumel on Dec. 7, and they want the balance paid in cash. I need to see if the total balance is considered one transaction, or four transactions. Per person is under $100, but the total will be over $100.

Interesting! I'm planning on booking a cruise to Mexico for spring and I guess I will just have to bring cash, and a credit card for back up. Thanks for posting the article. I would hate to be somewhere with no back up plan other than cash and they decided not to take it. Thanks again!

Would you expect the local businesses in your town in the US to accept peso's??:rolleyes:

If 90% of their customers were Mexican nationals carrying Mexican pesos, then yes I would, wouldn't you? It would be a foolish business decision for them not to.

Theron

Archived