Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "P - Z" > Regent Seven Seas Cruises

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Regent Seven Seas Cruises
Read Luxury Cruise Reviews written by cruisers just like you!

Old October 28th, 2010, 02:10 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Wait list? What does this mean???

The cruise we are interested in is on wait list for the cabin category we want (the lowest category). Can we be added to the wait list? What exactly does this mean in Regent's terminology?

Ad Sponsored By
Old October 28th, 2010, 02:28 PM
Cool Cruiser

Usually you have to pay $500 to put your name on the wait list. You are not guaranteed a suite. If one becomes available you will be contacted. If you turn it down or a suite never becomes available you will be refunded your money. The cheapest suites go first so your chances of obtaining a suite in that category aren't very good however you might be offered something in a higher category - for a price.

Old October 28th, 2010, 02:47 PM
Cool Cruiser

So this is different from some other cruises we have been on where if you are willing to wait for a specific cabin # to be assigned you are at the mercy of the inventory gods. You either get a cabin in your category or are offered a free or very cheap upgrade to the next category? With Regent if you are wait listed and nothing is available they simply refund you your deposit and you are not going to be sailing on that cruise?

Old October 28th, 2010, 03:03 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyPet View Post
So this is different from some other cruises we have been on where if you are willing to wait for a specific cabin # to be assigned you are at the mercy of the inventory gods. You either get a cabin in your category or are offered a free or very cheap upgrade to the next category? With Regent if you are wait listed and nothing is available they simply refund you your deposit and you are not going to be sailing on that cruise?
Kathy,

Regent calls more or less what you are describing a Guarantee. Hope this helps.

Dave

2014 Regent Voyager - Hong Kong to Beijing
2013 Regent Mariner - Athens to Istanbul to Rome (B2B)
2013 Regent Navigator - San Francisco to Vancouver (Alaska)
2012 Regent Mariner - Monte Carlo to Rio to Buenos Aires (B2B)
2012 Regent Voyager - Southampton to Reykjavik to Copenhagen (B2B)
2011 Regent Navigator - Montreal to Ft. Lauderdale to Bermuda to Ft. Lauderdale (B2B)
2010 Regent Mariner - Cape Town to Rio to Ft. Lauderdale (B2B)
2010 Regent Navigator - Caribbean
2009 Regent Mariner - Seward to Vancouver
2008 Regent Mariner - Sydney to Auckland
2008 Oceania Regatta - Panama Canal
2007 Celebrity Infinity - Alaska
2006 Celebrity Millennium - Transatlantic
2005 Celebrity Mercury - Pacific Coastal

Old October 28th, 2010, 03:06 PM
Cruise Critic Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFr View Post
Kathy,

Regent calls more or less what you are describing a Guarantee. Hope this helps.

Dave
Yes, "Wait list" and "Guarantee" status are 2 completely different animals..

Host Dan

hostdan@cruisecritic.com

Old October 28th, 2010, 03:11 PM
10,000+ Club

The first post describes a "Guarantee", while the second describes a type of wait-list. If you want a specific cabin number and it's booked, you can select another suite and be waitlisted for the one you want (which would happen if the people holding the cabin cancel).

Old October 28th, 2010, 03:11 PM
Cool Cruiser

So my original premise is correct? If you are waitlisted and nothing opens up in the category you just do not go????

Old October 28th, 2010, 03:22 PM
Cruise Critic Host

Quote:
So my original premise is correct? If you are waitlisted and nothing opens up in the category you just do not go????
This is correct..

Host Dan

hostdan@cruisecritic.com

Old October 28th, 2010, 03:41 PM
Cool Cruiser

However, in our case, we booked the lowest available cabin and waitlisted the lower one. If that cabin opens up, we will get it at its lower price. If not, we still sail.

Last year we had the same situation. Booked a cabin and when a lower one actually did open up, we got it at the lower price.

Old October 28th, 2010, 03:46 PM
Cruise Critic Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelcat2 View Post
The first post describes a "Guarantee", while the second describes a type of wait-list. If you want a specific cabin number and it's booked, you can select another suite and be waitlisted for the one you want (which would happen if the people holding the cabin cancel).
No, actually the first post is a "waitlist" for a specific category. No guarantee of an assignment in that or any other category.

Host Dan

hostdan@cruisecritic.com

Old October 28th, 2010, 04:29 PM
Cool Cruiser

Wow, I am surprised that Regent would just let the booking go if they cannot put you in the cabin level you wait listed for. I would have thought that they would make you a deal you couldn't refuse in a higher level cabin assuming that the ship is not full.

Old October 28th, 2010, 04:46 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Wow, I am surprised that Regent would just let the booking go if they cannot put you in the cabin level you wait listed for. I would have thought that they would make you a deal you couldn't refuse in a higher level cabin assuming that the ship is not full.
Sometimes they might do that. Or they might offer other pax in your desired cabin class a cheap upgrade so that there's room cleared at the lower level.

A Guaramtee is different in that they guarantee you a cabin, period, and if they decide to upgrade you, there is no charge, no deal needed, you get the original price.

Oceania Riviera, Nov. 2013
Seven Seas Navigator, Dec. 2006, Alaska May 2012
RSSC Paul Gauguin 2000, 2003, 2005, 2008
Radisson Diamond June, 2004
Regent Voyager, June '06, Dec. '07, Dec. '09, Dec. 2010

Old October 28th, 2010, 05:07 PM
Cool Cruiser

Kathy, were were waitlisted for a G/H cabin on the Navigator for a Fall Foilage cruise in 2011. The ship has been sold out for some time, more than a year in advance. It cost $1,000 ($500 each) to be waitlisted. They do process the charge. Only a couple of months later there was a cancellation for a G cabin, so we took it as a "guarantee". It cost another $700 + for the deposit, rest of the fare not due until July. We must cancel by June 3 to cancel without penalty. There is an administrative charge of $100 pp to cancel after a deposit has been made. I guess we could have held out for an H, but since they were offering the G guarantee we decided to lock that in. There are no difference in the cabins - the G is on a higher deck. With a sold out ship, I would not expect them to offer us an upgrade, but you never know.
June 2009 - Silversea Shadow, Alaska
Dec 2007 - Paul Gauguin
June 2006 - Oceania, Carribean
June 2005 - Paul Gauguin
Dec 2004 - Silversea Whisper, Carribean
May 2002 - Silversea Whisper, Mediterranean
June 2000 - Paul Gauguin

Old October 28th, 2010, 06:06 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Regent does make make offers in order to release waitlisted cabins. However, the offer goes to those booked in the suites. For instance a few years ago we paid approx. $1,500 to upgrade to a Penthouse A suite from a Category D (which hooked us Penthouse's). This made room for someone to book into the category we were originally in. When we were in a Penthouse, we upgraded to a Master (a very expensive upgrade. . . . but a great experience). Of course, these are not cases of "guarantees".

I'd be leary of a guarantee of the Navigator or Voyager due to the aft vibration/noise issues.

Old October 28th, 2010, 06:18 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
It's not like you are kept from paying for a higher level cabin. Sorry, but how is that different from how other cruise lines handle things? As far as I know with other cruise lines as well as Regent in the case of a Guarantee, then indeed you are at the mercy of the inventory Gods but you are guaranteed a cabin.
I have noticed that sometimes at a later time the lower cabin level opens for guarantees (after having shown only "waitlist" availability).

Last edited by cruiseluv; October 28th, 2010 at 06:19 PM.

Old October 28th, 2010, 06:32 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiseluv View Post
It's not like you are kept from paying for a higher level cabin. Sorry, but how is that different from how other cruise lines handle things? As far as I know with other cruise lines as well as Regent in the case of a Guarantee, then indeed you are at the mercy of the inventory Gods but you are guaranteed a cabin.
I have noticed that sometimes at a later time the lower cabin level opens for guarantees (after having shown only "waitlist" availability).
I think that all cruise lines handle Guarantees the same. But, not sure if they all make offers to those holding existing cabins in order to allow a previously waitlisted category to open up. You can certainly pay for any available category, however, this may be too expensive for some people. IMO, what Regent is doing is good for themselves as well as their passengers. They are receiving full fare (or whatever fare they are asking -- usually 2 for 1) for the suite. The person receiving the offer for an upper cabin is getting a deal and Regent is filling a suite that would have been left vacant. Then, they are able to get full fare for the vacated suite. Since these offers happen fairly last minute, it is a no-lose situation for Regent. They are filling their Master Suites, Seven Seas Suites, etc. Whatever they receive for them is more than if they were vacant.

Old October 28th, 2010, 07:26 PM
Cool Cruiser

OK so bear with me now cause this gets complicated. I am booked on a Oceania Barcelona to Rome 10 day cruise leaving 10/15/11. I am in the lowest level Penthouse cabin because their other cabins are just too small for me to deal with. Total fare is $12600 which includes R/T airfare. I looked at the same cruise with Regent leaving on 9/3 but the cost was $15600 in the lowest level cabin. Today I got a E Mail from Regent and now in addition to including the airfare, gratuities, shore excursions and wine/liquor in the cruise cost they are also throwing in a "free" one night stay in Barcelona prior to the cruise and transfers from airport/hotel and hotel/ship. We were planning to fly in one day early anyway and a good quality hotel in Barcelona appears to run about $300.00. So now when I add up all the things Regent gives you including this one night stay and transfers that you pay for on Oceania Regent actually becomes the better deal by about $800.00 in the H cabin on Regent. I am using $376.00 for Oceania transfers. $270.00 for gratuties on Oceania which are actual figures and estimating $2300 in shore excursion costs using the Oceania brochure, $500.00 in wine and liquor and $300.00 for the hotel room in Barcelona. This brings the Oceania cruise to about $16300 vs $15600 for Regent. THe problem is that the Level H cabins on the Regent cruise are "wait listed". So I am thinking about giving Regent the $500.00 each to wait list us in a H level on the Regent cruise and keeping our reservation intact for Oceania. Final Payment for both cruises is due 91 days prior to sailing but the Oceania Cruise final payment day is 7/15 and the Regent date is 6/3 so I am thinking that I will have a answer on the Regent sailing in time to cancel Oceania without any penalty. Does anyone see any pitfalls in doing this???

Old October 28th, 2010, 08:31 PM
Cool Cruiser

Kathypet,

I just went to Regent website and saw the difference between Cat H and G for your cruise is $400PP , $800 total. So that makes your fare in Cat G $16,400 vs your estimate total cost on Oceania of $16,300, basically the same. For me this would be a no brainer . I would book the Cat G on Regent Mariner, selecting a specific cabin (on Mariner some cabins have a big walk in shower and others a bathtub w/shower) but ask to be placed on the wait list for a cheaper Cat H. I would cancel out of Oceania since for the same price I would rather go on Regent . Even if you get a PH, the space to pax ratio of the Oceania ship is lower than Regent. I have never sailed on Oceania, so I am going here basically on the physical attributes of the ships and the fact that we have sailed several times on Regent, most recently on Mariner, with great experiences on all.

Last edited by cruiseluv; October 28th, 2010 at 08:33 PM.

Old October 28th, 2010, 09:25 PM
10,000+ Club

I definitely agree!

Old October 28th, 2010, 10:15 PM
Cool Cruiser

Cool

Ditto!