Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Celebrity Cruises
 
Register here!
Forgot Your Password?


Notices

Celebrity Cruises
- Read thousands of Celebrity Cruise Reviews
- Compare the best Celebrity Cruise Deals
- Write a Celebrity Cruise Review
- Find Your Celebrity Roll Call
See posts about:
Celebrity Constellation
Celebrity Millennium
Celebrity Summit

Celebrity Eclipse
Celebrity Reflection
Celebrity Xpedition

Celebrity Equinox
Celebrity Silhouette

Celebrity Infinity
Celebrity Solstice

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old November 1st, 2010, 05:07 PM
Alsmez Alsmez is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: NYC
Posts: 572
Default Handicapped room - pros and cons?

I was just browsing sea + scanner to see if there were any "good" rooms available in our cabin category for our Equinox cruise in February and spotted room 1026, a C3 room on the starboard side. It's a handicapped room and therefore 50% wider than a regular room according to the room info post on this site. It's also a floor up from our original room and closer to the elevators, so I decided to snag it. However, I'm wondering if having a handicapped room is asking for trouble - i.e., will we be asked/forced to give it up if a handicapped person needs it? I don't mind giving it up for someone who needs it, but I would at least like to have some control over where the new room would be, etc. Anyone have any experience with this?
__________________
2/27/04 - Carnival Spirit
2/7/11 - Celebrity Equinox


Last edited by Alsmez; November 1st, 2010 at 05:14 PM.
Reply With Quote

  #2  
Old November 1st, 2010, 06:08 PM
allentownahoy allentownahoy is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,116
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alsmez View Post
I was just browsing sea + scanner to see if there were any "good" rooms available in our cabin category for our Equinox cruise in February and spotted room 1026, a C3 room on the starboard side. It's a handicapped room and therefore 50% wider than a regular room according to the room info post on this site. It's also a floor up from our original room and closer to the elevators, so I decided to snag it. However, I'm wondering if having a handicapped room is asking for trouble - i.e., will we be asked/forced to give it up if a handicapped person needs it? I don't mind giving it up for someone who needs it, but I would at least like to have some control over where the new room would be, etc. Anyone have any experience with this?
This may not be what you want to hear but it is really wrong of you to snag this cabin for the extra space. It is naive to justify this by saying you are willing to be bumped for a handicapped person because the cruiseline will assume you are handicapped if booking this cabin and should be asking you to fill out a form describing the nature of your special needs. Meanwhile you are depriving someone who needs that room of handicapped accomodations. Be grateful you are able bodied, can cruise concierge class rather than selfishly ask if you are asking for trouble. What you are doing is causing trouble for the handicapped. If the cabin is still poem just a few weeks before sailing then try to snag it if you must
Reply With Quote

  #3  
Old November 1st, 2010, 06:11 PM
allentownahoy allentownahoy is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,116
Default

I meant to say if the cabin is still open a few weeks before sailing. Was unable to figure out how to edit my post.
Reply With Quote

  #4  
Old November 1st, 2010, 06:18 PM
uppitycats uppitycats is offline
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 6,140
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alsmez View Post
I was just browsing sea + scanner to see if there were any "good" rooms available in our cabin category for our Equinox cruise in February and spotted room 1026, a C3 room on the starboard side. It's a handicapped room and therefore 50% wider than a regular room according to the room info post on this site. It's also a floor up from our original room and closer to the elevators, so I decided to snag it. However, I'm wondering if having a handicapped room is asking for trouble - i.e., will we be asked/forced to give it up if a handicapped person needs it? I don't mind giving it up for someone who needs it, but I would at least like to have some control over where the new room would be, etc. Anyone have any experience with this?
Well, I have experience with handicap cabins because I need such a cabin if I'm going to cruise at all. Because there are usually fewer than 20 on any given cruise ship (and the older the ship the fewer there are), I generally have to book cruise and cabin 8 months or more "out" from sail date to ensure that I get one..or I can't cruise. So I'm not able to "choose"...I'm "stuck with" whatever is available.

You may -- or may not -- be asked to move. If you are, it would be to a cabin in that same category (but "regular", meaning having less space, and a step up into the shower, meaning you won't flood your room every time you shower, which happens often in a handicap-accessible cabin. Or you may get a cabin with a tub.)

Generally, though, even if you do "flag" your reservation to indicate that you'd be willing to move, it is highly unlikely that you'll be asked to.

There is a law that has been passed just today to restrict cruise lines from booking these cabins to non-handicapped individuals like yourself..but if you really are committed to "snagging" this, you might call and see if it's available.

Now, if this were 60 days or less from when the cruise was to set sail, it wouldn't be an issue. If the cabin were still available, you could grab it without guilt.
__________________
I've cruised on Princess, Carnival, HAL,
NCL, Hurtigruten and a couple of even smaller lines in the past. HAL is (for now) my favorite!


Last edited by uppitycats; November 1st, 2010 at 06:19 PM.
Reply With Quote

  #5  
Old November 1st, 2010, 06:26 PM
eandj eandj is offline
10,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 13,811
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alsmez View Post
I'm wondering if having a handicapped room is asking for trouble - i.e., will we be asked/forced to give it up if a handicapped person needs it? I don't mind giving it up for someone who needs it, but I would at least like to have some control over where the new room would be, etc. Anyone have any experience with this?
If you are not handicapped, yes, up to a certain time, I believe you can be asked to prove your need for the accessible room. If you really want to hand pick your room, to avoid losing that control, just pick another room and stick with it. As you are waiting to see if you are indeed asked to change, the "good" rooms are going....going .....

Obviously a lot depends on how far out you are booking. After final payment is due, I might feel less guilty. But personally the extra width and the arrangement in the bathroom wouldn't be worth ithe "snag" to me.

Last edited by eandj; November 1st, 2010 at 06:29 PM.
Reply With Quote

Ad Sponsored By
  #6  
Old November 1st, 2010, 06:35 PM
xxoocruiser xxoocruiser is offline
Blue Ribbon Cruiser
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4,967
Default

So inappropriate to bok a HC Cabin if not needed . Since you are obviously do not require handicap accomodations and the cruise is still four months out, it was totally inconsiderate of you to book this cabin. Now of course if it's was a few weeks from sailing it would be acceptable to have snagged the cabin.

By the way I am a person that needs a handicap cabin. Before becoming disabled I would never have been so inconsiderate to book a HC cabin. Hope you never actually need a HC cabin at some point in your life and unable to book it because some ablebody person wanted the extra space. The extra space is for the scooter, wheelchair and other equipment that one being disabled has to travel with and use daily.

Last edited by xxoocruiser; November 1st, 2010 at 06:37 PM.
Reply With Quote

  #7  
Old November 1st, 2010, 06:37 PM
cb at sea cb at sea is offline
50,000+ Club
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Fredericksburg, va. USA
Posts: 63,799
Default

While the cabin is larger, it's set up for wheelchair access....so it will have lots of empty space, grab bars, etc....that go along with what disabled folks need.

We've been given HC rooms in hotels without needing or requesting them...I find them uncomfortable, since it's not really FOR able-bodied folks!
Reply With Quote

  #8  
Old November 1st, 2010, 06:43 PM
Alsmez Alsmez is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: NYC
Posts: 572
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxoocruiser View Post
So inappropriate to bok a HC Cabin if not needed . Since you are obviously do not require handicap accomodations and the cruise is still four months out, it was totally inconsiderate of you to book this cabin. Now of course if it's was a few weeks from sailing it would be acceptable to have snagged the cabin.

By the way I am a person that needs a handicap cabin. Before becoming disabled I would never have been so inconsiderate to book a HC cabin. Hope you never actually need a HC cabin at some point in your life and unable to book it because some ablebody person wanted the extra space. The extra space is for the scooter, wheelchair and other equipment that one being disabled has to travel with and use daily.
Okay - sorry to have offended. I (naively) assumed that X would allow anyone to book these cabins to ensure a full ship but would move people if necessary to accommodate handicapped passengers. I also figured that since we're close to final payment and this cruise has been close to sold out for a while, most people's plans would be fairly set. I'll change my reservation back right away!
__________________
2/27/04 - Carnival Spirit
2/7/11 - Celebrity Equinox

Reply With Quote

  #9  
Old November 1st, 2010, 06:47 PM
wg6530 wg6530 is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,648
Default

Edit:
glad you decided to change back.

Last edited by wg6530; November 1st, 2010 at 06:48 PM.
Reply With Quote

  #10  
Old November 1st, 2010, 07:56 PM
shamda's Avatar
shamda shamda is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Plantation, FL
Posts: 978
Default

Can you tell us more about this new law? When does it go into effect? Do you have a link to the reading of this new law?


Quote:
Originally Posted by uppitycats View Post
There is a law that has been passed just today to restrict cruise lines from booking these cabins to non-handicapped individuals like yourself..but if you really are committed to "snagging" this, you might call and see if it's available.

Now, if this were 60 days or less from when the cruise was to set sail, it wouldn't be an issue. If the cabin were still available, you could grab it without guilt.
__________________
Howard
Plantation, FL
Reply With Quote

  #11  
Old November 1st, 2010, 08:33 PM
lovey1103's Avatar
lovey1103 lovey1103 is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 495
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alsmez View Post
Okay - sorry to have offended. I (naively) assumed that X would allow anyone to book these cabins to ensure a full ship but would move people if necessary to accommodate handicapped passengers. I also figured that since we're close to final payment and this cruise has been close to sold out for a while, most people's plans would be fairly set. I'll change my reservation back right away!
As the spouse of a Parkinson's sufferer who requires a handicap cabin, we thank you
Reply With Quote

  #12  
Old November 1st, 2010, 08:41 PM
wvufan's Avatar
wvufan wvufan is offline
Blue Ribbon Cruiser
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Vienna, WV
Posts: 4,213
Default

I think most folks who end up booked in an accessible cabin for various reasons would be willing to give that cabin up if a person with a disability needed it.

But, here's the problem. Say that person with a disability is interested in a particular cruise and looks at cabin availability. If they are all booked, it is very unlikely they would even think about contacting the cruise line and asking them to survey passengers in those cabin to see if they have a disability. And just as unlikely that the cruise line would be willing or able to check it out.

In the past, many have thought it was fair game after final payment date. However, with the new policies concerning price reductions, it is even more important to not book those cabins so that a person with a disability has a chance to wait for the prices to drop if they so choose. No longer can they book well in advance and be able to get price breaks.

I wish the cruise lines would not open those cabins up until 30 days before sailing.

Until then, the best advice is to simply not book a HC cabin and that way you know for sure you are not depriving someone who need it.

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE Bob and Phyl
Reply With Quote

  #13  
Old November 1st, 2010, 08:58 PM
kitty9 kitty9 is offline
20,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Moon Township, Pa
Posts: 22,111
Default

I'm disabled and use a mobility scooter. I recently booked an accessible cabin on Eclipse and I had to fill out a document about my disability, the devices I use and if I require anything supplied by the cruise line such as a shower chair. It has to be faxed in no less than 30 days before the cruise. If you don't fax it in, you could lose the cabin. So yes, you do have to prove, in a way, that you actually NEED the cabin and aren't booking it just for the space. Of course, people could always lie on the form---but Karma is a witch with a B instead of a W.

BTW, if an able bodied person books an accessible cabin way out from the sail date, that cabin is out of inventory, period. Even if someone with a REAL need for that cabin calls and asks for it, the booking agents at X only see that it's booked-----there's no indication of who booked it or if they're disabled. The real disabled person is out of luck.

Those of us with disabilities have never said that a cruise line can't ever book those cabins, all we ask is that they're not booked more than 60 days out, after final payment. If the cabins are still out there, then have at it.
__________________
Darcie
Reply With Quote

  #14  
Old November 1st, 2010, 09:02 PM
DixonDreamer DixonDreamer is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: California
Posts: 30
Default

A few years back my hubby and I were upgraded to a Handicapped Junior Suite on Royal Caribbean. Neither of us are handicapped but we figured that since it wasn't booked the upgrade fairy decided to treat us. The room was as large as a Grand Suite and the balcony was double the size. The only part that took me a while to get used to was the door that opened automatically when you inserted your room key. The extra space made a 2 week cruise very enjoyable.
Reply With Quote

  #15  
Old November 1st, 2010, 09:07 PM
uppitycats uppitycats is offline
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 6,140
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamda View Post
Can you tell us more about this new law? When does it go into effect? Do you have a link to the reading of this new law?
Yes. Here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1232145
__________________
I've cruised on Princess, Carnival, HAL,
NCL, Hurtigruten and a couple of even smaller lines in the past. HAL is (for now) my favorite!

Reply With Quote

  #16  
Old November 1st, 2010, 09:43 PM
scf1270's Avatar
scf1270 scf1270 is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 865
Default

I agree that HC rooms should be for those who need them, and applaud X for requiring a Special Needs form be filled out.

It read to me that the OP poster was not only NOT looking to "take" a HC cabin away from someone, but sensitive to that fact!! Kudos to you !

However there is a point at which X feels that it is time for an unbooked cabin to go into the available pool. Which seems to be the case here as the OP saw it on sea scanner.

It does X no good to sail with an empty cabin so, here's my question: when is it okay to "snag" one of the HC open rooms (meaning close to sailing date, not meaning pretending you need it) ?

btw - for those who need some assistance, but not a full-out HC room, X's Special Needs dept is very helpful. I'll be traveling in less than two weeks with 2 BFFs. One just had a hip replacement and is still using a cane. X is providing a shower stool and a raised toilet seat. There are also wheelchair porters available at embarkation and disembarkation so she won't have to stand in line.

Sara

Quote:
Originally Posted by allentownahoy View Post
This may not be what you want to hear but it is really wrong of you to snag this cabin for the extra space. It is naive to justify this by saying you are willing to be bumped for a handicapped person because the cruiseline will assume you are handicapped if booking this cabin and should be asking you to fill out a form describing the nature of your special needs. Meanwhile you are depriving someone who needs that room of handicapped accomodations. Be grateful you are able bodied, can cruise concierge class rather than selfishly ask if you are asking for trouble. What you are doing is causing trouble for the handicapped. If the cabin is still poem just a few weeks before sailing then try to snag it if you must
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alsmez View Post
Okay - sorry to have offended. I (naively) assumed that X would allow anyone to book these cabins to ensure a full ship but would move people if necessary to accommodate handicapped passengers. I also figured that since we're close to final payment and this cruise has been close to sold out for a while, most people's plans would be fairly set. I'll change my reservation back right away!
__________________
Celebrity Constellation - March 9, 2013
Celebrity Millenium - November 10,2011 - BFF Trip!!!

Celebrity Century - February 28, 2011
Celebrity Eclipse - December 11, 2010
Celebrity Century - November 13, 2010 - BFF Trip!!!
Celebrity Summit - May 2, 2010
Celebrity Solstice - December, 2008
Celebrity Century - January, 2008
Carnival Mardi Gras - Spring Break March, 1976
Reply With Quote

  #17  
Old November 1st, 2010, 10:23 PM
Umbarger's Avatar
Umbarger Umbarger is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Garnett, KS
Posts: 2,867
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alsmez View Post
Okay - sorry to have offended. I (naively) assumed that X would allow anyone to book these cabins to ensure a full ship but would move people if necessary to accommodate handicapped passengers. I also figured that since we're close to final payment and this cruise has been close to sold out for a while, most people's plans would be fairly set. I'll change my reservation back right away!
Yes, Able bodied people booking HC cabins really offends us that need them to be able to cruise. Able bodied people are very "naive" when it comes to disabled issues. No cruise line moves AB out of HC cabins. Until Final Payment booking of Handicapped cabins are on the honor system. Which means if you don't need the HC cabin DON'T book one.
__________________
"There is no such thing as a bad cruise! "quote by me

7 NCL******* 7 Carnival******* 7 Princess*******3 HAL*******2 Celebrity
and counting............
Reply With Quote

  #18  
Old November 1st, 2010, 11:47 PM
B-May B-May is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Posts: 491
Default

We booked an inside guarantee for a Nov. 17 mini on Eclipse and 2 weeks ago they gave us an inside handicapped room. I thot it was odd as we never requested this and obviously with 30 days left to sailing they had a reason for doing this. We doing a b2b and moving up to a hump C2 on the 20th. It's not even the same floor so who knows what X is up to. I just hope no one thinks that we requested this.
Reply With Quote

  #19  
Old November 2nd, 2010, 06:27 AM
Scotsnomad Scotsnomad is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 818
Default

We have just booked two cabins for our next cruise (On IOS) however one of the cabins is for my MIL who is disabled.

We were lucky enough to get two cabins opposite each other but for the disabled one we had to prove that we were entitled to use of the disabled cabin. There is a form that has to be completed and returned to the TA/Cruise line confirming the disability.

It was intimated that if you booked one of these you would basically have no rights if a disabled person came along, you would be moved even if it was to a smaller or lesser graded cabin.

I would show no sympathy to anyone who tried to abuse this facility to the detriment of the disabled passenger who then has to struggle in another type of cabin

Last edited by Scotsnomad; November 2nd, 2010 at 06:33 AM.
Reply With Quote

  #20  
Old November 2nd, 2010, 07:24 AM
uppitycats uppitycats is offline
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 6,140
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scf1270 View Post
I agree that HC rooms should be for those who need them, and applaud X for requiring a Special Needs form be filled out.

It read to me that the OP poster was not only NOT looking to "take" a HC cabin away from someone, but sensitive to that fact!! Kudos to you !

However there is a point at which X feels that it is time for an unbooked cabin to go into the available pool. Which seems to be the case here as the OP saw it on sea scanner.

It does X no good to sail with an empty cabin so, here's my question: when is it okay to "snag" one of the HC open rooms (meaning close to sailing date, not meaning pretending you need it) ?

btw - for those who need some assistance, but not a full-out HC room, X's Special Needs dept is very helpful. I'll be traveling in less than two weeks with 2 BFFs. One just had a hip replacement and is still using a cane. X is providing a shower stool and a raised toilet seat. There are also wheelchair porters available at embarkation and disembarkation so she won't have to stand in line.

Sara
I think that if cruise lines held HC cabins until final payment is due, generally 60 days "out" from sailing, and then released them to be booked..

or assigned them to those that booked a "cabin guarantee" when they assign such cabins (again, that's usually 60 days or less from time of sailing), that would satisfy at least some of us in the disabled community.

And of course it would be nice if there were more such cabins, in more categories! But that's probably wishful thinking.
__________________
I've cruised on Princess, Carnival, HAL,
NCL, Hurtigruten and a couple of even smaller lines in the past. HAL is (for now) my favorite!

Reply With Quote

Reply

Bookmarks


Ad Sponsored By
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:16 AM.


© 1995 - 2014, The Independent Traveler, Inc. All rights reserved.
"A Community of People Who Love To Cruise"
All of the information contained within Cruise Critic is protected by copyright. You may, however, download a single copy only for your personal use.