Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Critic News & Feature Articles

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Cruise Critic News & Feature Articles Up-to-the minute News & Feature Articles from Cruise Critic

Old November 10th, 2010, 07:10 PM
Sr. Manager, Community
Cruise Critic

Post Cruise Passengers, Others Speak Out About Life Onboard Carnival Splendor

Cruise Critic has just posted the following news:

Cruise Passengers, Others Speak Out About Life Onboard Carnival Splendor

Read the entire news article...

Old November 10th, 2010, 09:43 PM
20,000+ Club

The problem is that at this time all we really have is second hand information (what the passenger told someone else) and direct communication from a Carnival employee.

If the ship makes it to San Diego tomorrow afternoon, then the posts tomorrow evening should be "interesting".

Old November 11th, 2010, 09:00 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Veteran's Day

Seeing the men and women of the US Coast Guard and US Navy respond to the Splendor makes me unabashedly proud of our service personnel. True; passengers and crew of the Carnival Splendor are suffering just a bit, but think about it... they really have minimal fear for their safety and they will soon be back to "civilization" - hot showers, clean underwear, and something other than cold sandwiches. The troops out there in the cold of night or heat of desert day experience this for months at a time...... with the threat of death or disabling wounds looming. If you can read this in comfort and safety .... Say THANK YOU to A VETERAN today.
God Bless and keep our troops safe. And to those on the Splendor.. my thoughts are with you for a safe trip home. Be thankful that no one was hurt and to attempt to put some kind of positive spin on this.... you guys now have the adventure of a lifetime to talk about for many years to come.

Ain't Life GREAT!

Breeze 9/28/13 southern Carib
Dream 4/27/13 west Carib 11/2/13 east Carib
Carnival Breeze: Med tour 10/25/12 and Trans Atlantic 11/6/12
Carnival Magic- Med tour 10/16/11
Dream 1/22/2011 (extras in "ChipWrecked" see those good looking legs as Alvin slides by )
Dream 12/3/2009 new ship/first US cruze
Elation - relocation; Panama Canal transit 5/2010
Spirit - Alaska-Van 5/20/09 Van-Sea 5/4/11 & 5/15/12
Glory 11/08/08 & 11/15/08, 12/1/07, 4/22/06
Triumph 10/13/2007 Celebration 5/5/07
Victory 10/29/06, 2/15/04
Fascination 12/15/03, 3/21/03

Last edited by RLKELK; November 11th, 2010 at 09:01 AM.

Old November 11th, 2010, 12:14 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Could be much worse

I agree with the other commenter- this could be so much worse and the way the Navy/Coast Guard handled it was amazing. Hopefully once the ship is in port and everyone is off the ship Carnival and all of the cruise lines will use this as a learning opportunity to make sure this never happens again on any ship.

Old November 11th, 2010, 12:15 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Pay for Spam?

I wonder if Carnival will have to reimburse the US Gov. for the "rescue" mission of SPAM, etc.
New: Carnival Cruises to Nowhere. Win yours today. 1st prize 1 week cruise to nowhere. 2nd prize: 2 weeks.

Last edited by mcwebber; November 11th, 2010 at 12:16 PM. Reason: Addition

Ad Sponsored By
Old November 11th, 2010, 12:30 PM
Cool Cruiser

I thought the cruise line provided the food in the first place.

SPAM would not be my first choice for people tending toward seasickness (lost power to stabilizers).

Old November 11th, 2010, 12:49 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcwebber View Post
I wonder if Carnival will have to reimburse the US Gov. for the "rescue" mission of SPAM, etc.
New: Carnival Cruises to Nowhere. Win yours today. 1st prize 1 week cruise to nowhere. 2nd prize: 2 weeks.
Most rescues at sea are not charged by the rescuer, provided negligence is not involved.

Azamara Sea of Cortez Celebrity Solstice Alaska 2014
Queen Mary 2 Transatlantic 2013Carnival Imagination Eastern Caribbean 2013 Allure of the Seas Western Caribbean 2013 ms Westerdam Pacific Coastal 2013 Golden Princess Reposition 2013

Celebrity Century Alaska 2013 Norwegian Breakaway Bermuda 2013
Norwegian Epic E Caribbean 2012 Ruby Princess E Caribbean 2012
Norwegian Pearl West Coast 2011 Celebrity Eclipse E Caribbean 2011
Queen Mary 2 Transatlantics 2010 Coral Princess Panama 2010
Star Princess South America 2009 Sapphire Princess Alaska 2009 Crown Princess E Caribbean 2009
QM2 S Caribbean 2008 QM2 Eastern US / Canada 2008 Golden Princess Mexican Riviera 08
Diamond Princess Hawaii 07 Crown Princess E Caribbean 07 Grand Princess W Caribbean 06, 07
Island Princess Hawaii 06 Island Princess West Coast USA 06 Coral Princess Panama 06

HMS Arethusa - West Indies and South Pacific 1969 HMS Albion - North Atlantic / Med 1972 - 74 HMS Devonshire - Mediterranean and Arctic Circle 1976 - 78
HMS Falmouth - Around the world 1979 HMS Brilliant - Atlantic 1980 - 82

Old November 11th, 2010, 01:10 PM
Cool Cruiser

Initial comments from the passengers of the Splendor are disturbing. I understand that they were inconvenienced, disappointed, and disgruntled with the situation, BUT they got back to land safely, they are getting a full refund, AND a gratis cruise in the future equal to or better than this one. It would be nice to hear a few passengers express their gratitude to Carnival for doing a pretty good job (I think) of getting them back to San Diego.

I have never sailed with Carnival, being a Princess fan myself, but the same think could happen on any cruise line. The media should temper their coverage of the opportunists comments and air a few kudos for the cruise line. It always goes back to the media making an event sensational just to get the coverage. Too bad.

Sailed Coral Princess June 2008 Alaska

Old November 11th, 2010, 01:23 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by limecloud View Post
I agree with the other commenter- this could be so much worse and the way the Navy/Coast Guard handled it was amazing. Hopefully once the ship is in port and everyone is off the ship Carnival and all of the cruise lines will use this as a learning opportunity to make sure this never happens again on any ship.
They may learn but they will only comply as much as Lloyds makes them e.g. insurance standard. We were on the Star Princess a/k/a the Flaming Star, that burned in 2006. Priness of course is part of Carnival Corp Lines. The accident board findings were the fire and death could have been prevented if Princess/Carnival had gone the extra mile beyond Lloyds requirements. BTW we did not get a free cruise only a 25% reduction on our next cruise (also a fouled up mess but no fire). I guess eating Spam (which I like) is more refundable than a fire with a death, loss of property from smoke and water damage. Wonder if Carinval is going to pay back the US Taxpayer the $1 Million a day for the support of the US Military? ........NOT!!
"Flaming" Star Princess March 2006
Island Princess November 2007
3 1/2 Cruises Down, How many to go?
But never again on Princess

Old November 11th, 2010, 01:25 PM
Cool Cruiser

IFLY ... I totally agree. The media really need to back up and take a look at both sides of the picture. There are some that will find it to be very traumatic and do whatever they can to say negatives about the situation. But there are also those on that ship that were able to take it in stride, cope and will be able to see how diligent Carnival worked to keep them safe, healthy and comfortable on their journey home.

Bravo to Carnival for helping passengers endure this difficult situation and going above and beyond.

Just back from the Valor, and I can guarantee you'll see my wife and I shooting photos under that iconic whale-tail funnel in the very near future.

--------

Carnival Valor -- Oct. 24, 2010!!!
Carnival Inspiration -- Oct. 2009 (Wife's First and our One Year Anniversary)
Carnival Inspiration -- March 2004
Royal Caribbean Majesty of the Seas -- November 1998

Old November 11th, 2010, 02:00 PM
Cool Cruiser

I've to say, those asking the passengers to be more appreciative of Carnival is like saying, “Apart from that Mrs. Lincoln , how did you enjoy the play?”

While it does sound like Carnival did a good job under the circumstances (at least until we know more details), I don't know many people who could see the bright side of days in an unlit, cold cabin without hot water, hot food or stabilizers. (Especially when you see people on these boards flipping out when the waiter forgets to offer freshly ground pepper.)

While most experienced cruisers know to be flexible about missed ports or rough seas, I don't think anyone considers a situation like this to be a possibility. What will be interesting to see if whether it stops new cruisers from giving it a try.

Ruby Princess Western Caribbean March 2009
Norwegian Sun Western Caribbean March 2008
Disney 4 Day April 2007

Old November 11th, 2010, 02:46 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Spendor eats

Whats for breakfast? Spam
Whats for lunch? Spam
Whats for dinner? Spam

Tribute to Monty Pithon

Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam,

Old November 11th, 2010, 04:08 PM
Cool Cruiser

Folks can complain about what food they had available or how Carnival has handled everything, but it could have been much much worse. People have to always find something to complain about, even when it's not warranted. I guess it's the world we live in, where negatives can outweigh anything positive. *shrugs* Let's see what passengers on that ship have to say about their experiences, before forming an opinion about how Carnival handled the ordeal.

Carnival Victory ~ Southern Caribbean ~ December 2008 (St. Thomas, Dominica, Barbados, St. Lucia, Antigua, St. Kitts)

Carnival Glory ~ Western Caribbean ~ April 2010 (Cozumel, Belize, Roatan, Grand Cayman)

Carnival Destiny ~ Eastern Caribbean ~ December 2010 (Nassau, Half Moon Cay, Grand Turk)

Carnival Breeze ~
Eastern Caribbean ~ March 2013
(St. Thomas, Antigua, Tortola, Nassau)

Carnival Sunshine ~ Western Caribbean ~ December 2013 (Montego Bay, Grand Cayman, Cozumel)

Carnival Splendor ~ Repositioning Cruise ~ November 2014 (St. Croix, Martinique, Grenada, Dominica, Grand Turk)

Old November 11th, 2010, 04:28 PM
Cool Cruiser

I've ben following this story closely from multiple sources because although I have only cruised 3x, I've really enjoyed it. I am happy to hear that all passengers are now safely ashore and from what I've read passengers, crew and the Coast Guard did the best they could in very trying circumstances. I was not a passenger on this ship so I have no first hand experience with what the passengers might be feeling but I think that all of their feelings are legitimate. Assuming that the circumstances did not arise from negligence on Carnival's part, this was simply an accident. Accidents happen. No matter what we plan in life from a simple meal to the cruise of a lifetime, sometimes things go wrong. We will never be able to live life with guarantees that all will go well. I hope Carnival continues to do the right thing by these passengers (however, they cannot turn back the clock and make this cruise right) and that the passengers, eventually, understand that in life things happen. Now, if Carnival was in any way at fault, that's a whole different story!

Old November 11th, 2010, 04:31 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Splendor

All situations in life are what you make of them. Carnival surely would have preferred this did not happen but it did. So, had I been a passenger I would have had to remind myself that I was safe and make the best of the situation. Unforseen things happen. The old saying: When life gives you lemons....... I choose to make lemonade. This will be an adventure that all on board will talk about for a long time. My husband and I have cruised many many times and often we were in the middle of the Pacific hundreds of miles from land with heavy seas and out of range for helicopters. An even like what happened on the Splendor happening in the middle of the Pacific could have been really dangerous. Things could have been so much worse. Time to sign up for the next cruise.

Andrea Jean Stowell
jeanstowell1@aol.com

NCL-July 1991 Westwind - Caribbean (7) RCCL Jan. 2010 Legend of the Seas - WB Panama Canal (14) Oct. 2013 Legend of the Seas – Barcelona-FLL TA (13) CELEBRITY Nov. 1997 Galaxy - So. Caribbean (7) Apr. 2007 Constellation - Eastbound TA (12) May 2008 Galaxy - Eastbound TA (16) Mar. 2009 Millennium - Australia/New Zealand (14) Mar. 2009 Millennium - Pacific Islands/Hawaii (14) Feb. 2012 Century - Circumnavigation of Australia (18) Feb. 2012 Century - Australia to Hawaii (18) April 2013 Equinox - Eastbound TA (15) PRINCESS Aug. 2003 Dawn - Alaska to Vancouver (7) Aug. 2006 Tahitian - Tahiti to Hawaii (12) Jul. 2007 Star - Mediterranean (12) Aug. 2010 Diamond - Alaska to Tianjin, China (15) Sep. 2010 Diamond - Tianjin, China to Singapore (16) Aug. 2011 Emerald - Copenhagen-Copenhagen (11) Sep. 2011 Emerald - Baltic (Copenhagen) to Fort Lauderdale (18) CARNIVAL Feb. 2004 Glory - Caribbean (7) Nov. 2008 Fascination - Caribbean (5)Oct. 2011 Freedom - Western Caribbean (6) Feb. 2013 Legend - Western Caribbean (7) Mar. 2013 Ecstasy - Bahamas (4) DISNEY Jan. 2010 Magic - Caribbean (7) Aug. 2011 Dream - Bahamas (5) HAL Oct. 2009 Noordam - Westbound TA
>>

Old November 11th, 2010, 04:35 PM
Cool Cruiser

Hooray for the lemonade makers of the world!

Old November 11th, 2010, 05:34 PM
Cool Cruiser

My local TV station just aired a report that included passengers saying that the crew went out of their way to try and keep people as comfortable as possible and that they made all the difference in keeping pax in good spirits. While there will certainly be plenty of complainers it is good to hear the positive remarks!! I am sure Carnival would not have chosen this test but I think they passed with flying colors!!! KUDOS TO CARNIVAL!!!

Ann

Miracle 2004
Triumph 2006
Glory 2007
Victory 2008
Legend 2009
Dream 2010
Liberty 2011
Miracle 2012
Breeze 2013
Conquest 2014

I'M GROWING OLDER BUT NOT UP!
Jimmy Buffett

GOTTA GET AWAY TO WHERE THE BOAT LEAVES FROM!
Zac Brown Band

THE OCEAN IS MY ONLY MEDICATION...WISHING MY CONDITION AIN'T EVER GONNA GO AWAY...
Zac and Jimmy

HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!!

Old November 11th, 2010, 07:04 PM
20,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjlawson View Post
Hooray for the lemonade makers of the world!
Amen...now if I could just find the vodka makers of the world...we could have a PARTY!!!

COMPLETES THE FLEET

If it is Carnival and it floats....we have sailed it!

Hubby ... DIAMOND (every ship except the Carnivale)
Me ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale)
22 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale) ONLY Double Milestone under the age of 21 in the world.....woo hoo!!
Showing the world what a kid with Autism can do!!!
25 year old son... finally DIAMOND (college got in the way). About to "cruise more than all of us under the water" as a. Naval Officer.

Holiday Ship On A Stick with a MARBLE base...

Old November 11th, 2010, 07:42 PM
20,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcwebber View Post

The food stuffs were provided by Carnival. The Navy/CG delivered them at sea. Its possible that they will have to pay the US Government for the delivery-just as BP is expected to reimburse the government for its costs in collecting the oil. The CG rescues people for free.

Old November 11th, 2010, 07:52 PM
Cool Cruiser

The most important thing is that everyone on the ship is safe, no one was hurt. And now everyone is safely back on land and will have a story to tell for years to come.

Miracle 12/04
Imagination 04/04
Legend 12/03
Imagination 03/03
Pride 07/02
Inspiration 08/01
Paradise 12/00
Holiday Summer 87
Big Red Boat(Royale)Summer 86