Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Holland America Line

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Holland America Line
Read thousands of Holland America Cruise Reviews from real cruisers and compare the best Holland America Cruise Deals

How to Organize a Cruise Critic Meet & Mingle (Meet & Greet) on Board Your Holland America Cruise

NEW! Find Your HOLLAND AMERICA Roll Call

Old November 28th, 2010, 08:27 AM
Cool Cruiser

Question Alaska vs Norwegian Fjords

Alaska vs Norwegian Fjords -- what are the pros and cons of each? We can't decide which way to go!

Old November 28th, 2010, 08:59 AM
Cool Cruiser

i haven't been to alaska, but here are some photos of my visit to geirangerfjord in norway: http://family.webshots.com/album/560861663BoHOQP

Last edited by CtheW0rld; November 28th, 2010 at 09:01 AM.

Old November 28th, 2010, 09:22 AM
5,000+ Club

We've been to both, more than once. Both locations are wonderful!!! If you want to see glaciers, Alaska is your choice - unless your cruise is heading to the FAR north part of Norway (i.e. Spitsbergen). The fjords of Norway are lush and green, with a more 'intimate' feeling. Alaska has mountains with ice and snow. We couldn't pick one over the other.

Old November 28th, 2010, 09:32 AM
5,000+ Club

We have also been both places, more to Norway though. If I had a decision to make between the two, I would choose Norway without a moment's hesitation. I love the fjords and the whole country! Now you've got me thinking...........

Old November 28th, 2010, 09:46 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by esther e View Post
I love the fjords and the whole country! Now you've got me thinking...........
Esther E, your comment made me think of a fact some CC'ers may not know. Norway consistently tops the UN's "best countries in which to live" list, far ahead of the U.S. and Canada. I need to visit to discover more myself.

(BTW, I subscribed to this thread before I posted, because I find this topic so interesting.)

Ad Sponsored By
Old November 28th, 2010, 09:56 AM
5,000+ Club

I've been to Alaska 3 times, Norway once, and we're going to Norway again next April.

The only "con" to Norway is the distance you have to travel to get there.

They're both lovely...and quite different. Norway is "up close and personal" -- you see the mountains right outside your window, close enough to feel like you can touch them. If you travel up and through the fjords, you'll see homes, farms, orchards, beautiful small towns all through them.

Alaska is vast..wide open spaces. Distance is deceptive. You'll see a tiny "dot" out on the horizon, miles and miles away, and be told it's an elk, or moose. You'll see a glacier and not have a sense of just how huge it is..until you notice the tiny kayak with two people in it, up along side the glacier..and it looks like a child's toy.

Norway is less crowded with tourists than Alaska..at least when we were there this April. There isn't the mad rush to town, swamped with thousands of others just off their ships, but a more muted tourist experience.

We love both, but right now are leaning towards Norawy..probably because we're planning our cruise.. but I really can't think of any "cons" to either trip..except the distance..

Old November 28th, 2010, 10:21 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Alaska Pluses:
Wildlife
Glaciers (most Norwegian cruises don't go to the glaciers there)

Alaska minuses: can be crowded
very little "culture" in port stops

Norwegian Pluses:
Seldom crowded
Best Fjords (others are Chile and New Zealand)
Lots of history (Oslo and Bergen)

Norwegian minuses:
Norway is very expensive .. cup of coffee is >$5 US .. no refills

Old November 28th, 2010, 10:28 AM
10,000+ Club

ab0si sums it up very well, IMO.

Solve your own problem - do both, in different years if need be.

Old November 28th, 2010, 10:39 AM
Cool Cruiser

Why choose? Do both if you can. They are as different as your imagination allows, and as similar as any shared experience can be. "Culture", as mentioned above, is very subjective; Alaska coastal towns are rich with the cultural heritage of migratory peoples dating back longer than recorded history, even ice ages. Norway as well has a wonderful and rich heritage of peoples who've long known the clockworks of winter and summer, the ebb and flow of wind and sea.

Don't choose, if you can help it; do both! And remember, there are fjordlands in New Zealand, Chile and Argentina, Russia, Canada, and other places as well.

ms Maasdam - S Caribbean - Mar/Apr 14
Ruby Princess - W Caribbean - Dec 13
ms Westerdam - E Caribbean Thanksgiving - Nov 13
Golden Princess - Inside Passage w/Tracy Arm - Sep 13
Carnival Ecstasy - Bahamas "Thank You" Cruise - Jun 13
ms Prinsendam - T/A and Baltic Collector's Cruise - May/Jun 13
ms Ryndam - W Caribbean New Year's - Dec 12/Jan 13
Ocean Princess - Land of the Midnight Sun - Jun/Jul 12
Celebrity Infinity - Panama Canal and S America - Dec 11
Norwegian Sun - TA Copenhagen to Port Canaveral - Sep/Oct 11
ms Veendam - South America & Antarctica Holiday - Dec 10/Jan 11
Sun Princess - New Zealand R/T Sydney - Nov/Dec 09
ms Statendam - Glacier Bay Discovery - Jun 09
ms Amsterdam - Alaskan Explorer - May 08
USS Pennsylvania (SSBN-735) - Tiger Cruise - Nov 97
USS John C Calhoun (SSBN-630) - Tiger Cruise - 1995
USS Stonewall Jackson (SSBN-634) - Tiger Cruise - 1969

Last edited by 0bnxshs; November 28th, 2010 at 10:45 AM.

Old November 28th, 2010, 03:21 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

We sailed for 14 days on the Ryndam in Alaska in 2009 and I absolutely LOVED it. Onboard we met others who said "if you like Alaska, you'll LOVE Norway!".

In July 2011 we're doing a 22 day B2B on the Eurodam that takes us to 10 countries, Norway included. So we'll get to find out which we prefer!

Old November 28th, 2010, 04:28 PM
30,000+ Club

Smile

I've been to Alaska 5 times, and Norway about twice that number.
They are both similar in that there are mountains coming from the sea, and that it can be cool/cold and rainy, or warm/hot and sunny. There's no predicting. The sense of being enclosed by the mountains is more pronounced in Norway.

I very much agree with ab0si's list of pros and cons. Travel to either is brutal from the US east coast, and for each you will need to arrive at least one day before your cruise.

You can't go wrong with either choice.

I'd give up chocolate, but I'm no quitter.

Old November 28th, 2010, 04:38 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

We like them both too. There is definetly more wildlife in Alaska, including a far greater chance of seeing whales as well as something more exotic like a bear. I think Norway has the edge on scenery and you can have a true midnight sun experience since they go above the Arctic Circle.

Cruising since 1968

Old November 28th, 2010, 05:16 PM
Cool Cruiser

I have never been to Alaska, but I liked Norway very much. the fjords were beautiful. Also, Bergen was a very interesting Medieval city.

Old November 28th, 2010, 05:42 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by uppitycats View Post
I've been to Alaska 3 times, Norway once, and we're going to Norway again next April.

The only "con" to Norway is the distance you have to travel to get there.

They're both lovely...and quite different. Norway is "up close and personal" -- you see the mountains right outside your window, close enough to feel like you can touch them. If you travel up and through the fjords, you'll see homes, farms, orchards, beautiful small towns all through them.

Alaska is vast..wide open spaces. Distance is deceptive. You'll see a tiny "dot" out on the horizon, miles and miles away, and be told it's an elk, or moose. You'll see a glacier and not have a sense of just how huge it is..until you notice the tiny kayak with two people in it, up along side the glacier..and it looks like a child's toy.

Norway is less crowded with tourists than Alaska..at least when we were there this April. There isn't the mad rush to town, swamped with thousands of others just off their ships, but a more muted tourist experience.

We love both, but right now are leaning towards Norawy..probably because we're planning our cruise.. but I really can't think of any "cons" to either trip..except the distance..
Beautiful description. Now I want to go.

I am a 50% Norwegian and would love to go there someday. Do you all go by HAL?