Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Special Interest Cruising > Family Cruises

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Family Cruises Cruising with kids? Best Family Cruise Advice
Cruise Critic's Family Cruising Resources
Traveling with kids? Best Family Travel Advice
Family Vacation Critic's Family Travel Site

Old December 2nd, 2010, 02:23 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Waterslides on Carnival?

Does anyone know if they will let you slide down the waterslides on the Carnival ships with a child on your lap? The website seems to imply that you have to go down separately, but it seems a shame if we couldn't slide down holding a 3-year-old...

Ad Sponsored By
Old December 2nd, 2010, 03:28 PM
Cool Cruiser

I hope this helps.

Carnival FAQ's

Carnival Twister waterslides that run into a pool have a height requirement of 48” or 4 feet. This height is determined by the manufacturer for the safety of the guest using the equipment. (Elation; Paradise)
Carnival's Twister waterslides that run off into itself (Carnival Destiny; Triumph; Victory; Spirit; Pride; Conquest; Legend; Glory; Miracle; Valor; Liberty; Splendor; Dream) have a height requirement of 42’ as they do not have a pool at the bottom to worry about. This will now include the Imagination, Inspiration, Fascination, Sensation, Ecstasy and Fantasy due to Carnival Waterworks.
Use of the waterslide:
  • Guests under 13 must have their parents' permission.
  • Multiple riders are not permitted.
  • No floatation devices may be worn or carried on the slide.
  • The slide is not recommended if there is any physical limitations, impairments, under the influence of alcohol or under a doctor’s care.
  • Guest must use the slide on his/her back, feet first.
Carnival Valor Feb. 2009
Carnival Glory Feb. 2010
Carnival Dream Feb. 2011
Carnival Conquest Feb. 2013
Royal Caribbean Independence of the Seas Feb 2014

Old December 2nd, 2010, 04:17 PM
Cool Cruiser

That's what I read. I was just wondering if they would actually stop us. Considering it's pretty much what you do at waterslides around here...

Old December 2nd, 2010, 04:19 PM
Cool Cruiser

Yes, they will stop you.
"The important thing is the rhythm. Always have rhythm in your shaking. Now a Manhattan you shake to fox-trot time, a Bronx to two-step time, a dry martini you always shake to waltz time." Nick Charles

Fantasy 1991 - Bahamas, Sea Princess 1999 - Alaska
Grand Princess 1999 - Eastern Caribbean, Rembrandt 2000 - CTN, Millenium 2001 - Western Caribbean. Sea Princess 2002 - Mexican Riveria, Summit 2002 - Pacific Repo Honolulu to Vancouver, Carnival Legend 2003 - Exotic Eastern/Southern Caribbean, Island Princess 2003 - Panama Canal, Dawn Princess 2004 - Alaska, Majesty of the Seas 2004 - Bahamas, Diamond Princess 2005 - Mexican Riveria, Enchantment of the Seas 2005 - Repo Quebec City to Fort Lauderdale, Carnival Liberty 2006 - Eastern Caribbean, Radiance of the Seas 2006 - Western Caribbean, Celebrity Century 2006/2007 - Western Caribbean, Jewel of the Seas 2007 - Transatlantic, Dawn Princess - Alaska 2008 - Carnival Fantasy 2009 - Western Caribbean, Freedom of the Seas 2009 - Eastern Caribbean - Pacific Princess Southern Caribbean 2013

Old December 2nd, 2010, 04:35 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thanks for the reply.
Oh well! There seems to be kind of limited things a parent can do WITH a child on cruises, short of leaving them at CC.

Old December 2nd, 2010, 04:40 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julitta View Post
Thanks for the reply.
Oh well! There seems to be kind of limited things a parent can do WITH a child on cruises, short of leaving them at CC.
Why would you think that? Just because you cannot go down one water slide with your child? These slide rules are in place because it isn't safe to go down together, and it's not safe for someone who is under the required height limit to use the slide.

I think you will find that you can spend your entire day doing activities with your child if you don't want to use the camp.
“You will lose someone you can’t live without, your heart will be badly broken, and the bad news is that you never completely get over the loss of your beloved. But this is also the good news. They live forever in your broken heart that doesn’t seal back up. And you come through. It’s like having a broken leg that never heals perfectly—that still hurts when the weather gets cold, but you learn to dance with the limp.”

Last edited by 6rugrats; December 2nd, 2010 at 04:43 PM.

Old December 2nd, 2010, 04:53 PM
Cool Cruiser

My experience is that the water slide rules, unlike many other rules, are actually followed. We were on the Ecstasy my son was not allowed to use the slide as they measured him and he was found to be only 41.5 inches. He's finally over 42 inches, so he'll be excited on our next cruise.

Old December 2nd, 2010, 05:10 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6rugrats View Post
Why would you think that? Just because you cannot go down one water slide with your child? These slide rules are in place because it isn't safe to go down together, and it's not safe for someone who is under the required height limit to use the slide.

I think you will find that you can spend your entire day doing activities with your child if you don't want to use the camp.
Constructive suggestions welcomed...

Old December 2nd, 2010, 06:16 PM
Cool Cruiser

I still had fun playing with my DS in the waterworks as they had a toddler slide he could use. I don't know if your ship has that. He also likes swimming in the big pool, going to the arcade, and doing putt putt. But really what he loves the most about cruising is the kids program. If he's not there, he's asking to go.

Old December 2nd, 2010, 07:55 PM
Cool Cruiser

On NCL we were allowed to go down the slide together - however it was just a regular corkscrew slide - I think the Carnival slides are much more elaborate.

Best,
Mia

Old December 2nd, 2010, 08:43 PM
Cool Cruiser

The putt putt course usually has clubs for preschoolers, there are other pools than the slide, there are the nightclubs, which are usually pretty empty during the day, but may still have lights going and music playing so families can dance ... you won't run out of things to do with your child without using the camp and without using the slide.

Century 10/18/04 (Baltimore to San Juan)
Grandeur of the Seas 6/13/08 (New England and Canada from Norfolk)
Liberty of the Seas 12/12/10 (Eastern Caribbean -- Family Reunion in the Presidential Family Suite)
Constellation 3/16/15 Western Caribbean -- Homeschool Moms (and Dads) gone wild (ok, maybe not *that* wild)

Old December 2nd, 2010, 10:24 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Picture of Slide

The Victory slide is similar to the Triumph's. I included a picture. I know there is a measuring stick at the top, but I have seen people go double. I know it wouldn't hurt to ask. If you feel OK with it, I would give it a try. Hope this helps.

Old December 2nd, 2010, 10:28 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6rugrats View Post

I find it better to talk to people, not down to them.

Old December 2nd, 2010, 10:40 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thanks for the ideas everyone. I was looking at Carnival's website and it's hard to see exactly what to do with little kids. I didn't notice that there's mini golf, and couldn't find info on exactly what other pools or slides were there. DD would love dancing in an empty nightclub.

We booked on the Victory so there would be no sea days, but now they dropped Dominica so I'm thinking what to do on the ship.

Old December 2nd, 2010, 11:13 PM
Cool Cruiser

When we cruised on The Victory we came home exhausted as we never had any down time. You might be surprised with all there is to do especially with five ports. Another thing my son liked was playing with the big chess pieces and dancing to the bands. There's always the fruit carving and ice sculpting that are fun activities too. Who knows, they may let you ride the water slide together, but it's good to know your other options too.

Have fun on The Victory, it should be a great cruise.

Old December 3rd, 2010, 08:25 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naomi John View Post
I find it better to talk to people, not down to them.
I agree Namoi! I think the OP was just expression frustration that she might not be able to slide with her child, not suggesting that she should be able to do something unsafe.

Carnival Pride, June 2013, Eastern Caribbean/Bahamas
Celebrity Millennium, July 2009--Alaska
Mariner of the Seas, August 2008--Western Caribbean
Voyager of the Seas, March 2007--Eastern Caribbean
Sovereign of the Seas, July 2006--Bahamas
Adventure of the Seas, March 2006--Southern Caribbean
Majesty of the Seas, August 2004--Bahamas
Enchantment of the Seas, August 2003--Western Caribbean

Old December 4th, 2010, 03:40 AM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandytoes03 View Post
I agree Namoi! I think the OP was just expression frustration that she might not be able to slide with her child, not suggesting that she should be able to do something unsafe.
I kind of disagree because she wanted to know if they would stop her from breaking the rules, even though she had read them and understood them. It did also seem that she was equating her 3-y/o not being allowed to go down the waterslide with not having anything much for young children to do. I'm glad she clarified that she now sees how much there actually is for parents and children to do together onboard. But still, when the first response is "I read the rules, but can I break the rules?" there are likely to be fairly strong responses back.

beachchick

Old December 4th, 2010, 10:11 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Carnival Twister waterslides that run into a pool have a height requirement of 48” or 4 feet. This height is determined by the manufacturer for the safety of the guest using the equipment. (Elation; Paradise)
Carnival's Twister waterslides that run off into itself (Carnival Destiny; Triumph; Victory; Spirit; Pride; Conquest; Legend; Glory; Miracle; Valor; Liberty; Splendor; Dream) have a height requirement of 42’ as they do not have a pool at the bottom to worry about. This will now include the Imagination, Inspiration, Fascination, Sensation, Ecstasy and Fantasy due to Carnival Waterworks.
I don't see Freedom listed in here... Anyone know the height restriction for that ship? I did find a mention on a travel agent website that said 42", but I am trying to find out something from Carnival or more definitive. My son may hit 42", but definitely not 48".

Old December 4th, 2010, 10:47 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachchick View Post
I kind of disagree because she wanted to know if they would stop her from breaking the rules, even though she had read them and understood them.
Yup, that is exactly what I asked. Or, maybe reword it this way: Is this a rule or just a cover-your-butt suggestion? Will they allow us to slide together if I ask nicely? If not NO BIG DEAL. And most obviously, IS it in fact unsafe, given that a small child is *required* to go down with a parent at the multi-storey waterparks around here?

My question was valid and did not warrant a "strong" response. I stopped posting on this board 6 months ago because of rudeness but I came back because I decided to focus on the majority of posters who are polite and helpful.