Shark Attacks In Egyptian Port Prompt Cruise Lines to Cancel Excursions

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Cruise Critic News & Feature Articles
Up-to-the minute News & Feature Articles from Cruise Critic
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 08:03 AM.
Palatine of Lancashire, England
35 Posts
Joined Jun 2003
In the late 40's and early 50's Hans and Lotte Hass, who became famous for their books and films on under sea life, did most of their shark photo shoots in the Red Sea because sharks were a certainty, the books were all very interesting and I am sure that your local library will still be able to supply them.
The point is that the Red Sea has always had sharks and always will, just because no reported shark attacks on tourists have occurred in the past (they may have been attacks on locals but they won’t be reported) the Egyptian authorities say that sharks are uncommon, and that's a load of tosh, as they are promoting their resorts for family holidays.
The only guaranteed safe way to swim in the Red Sea is behind a shark net.
the Jerusalem hills, Israel
1,740 Posts
Joined Dec 2008
Originally posted by drbabe
Take a look at who the Egyptian authorities are blaming for the shark attacks!

http://www.jpost.com/MiddleEast/Arti...ID=198286&R=R1
Pretty much par for the course around here..

Originally posted by drbabe
I snorkeled a great deal in the Red Sea off of Sinai in the early 80's. I was always worried about encountering sharks - they are very common there, including aggressive species.
The last time I was in Sharm was in the 70's, when it was under Israeli control and basically undeveloped. I'm pretty sure I remember underwater 'fencing' around a large area, to keep out the sharks.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Ruth

I'm a VEGAN cruiser!

Questions about visiting Israel? Check out this CC thread:
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=913621

Seascale,Cumbria,U.K.
5,344 Posts
Joined Dec 2008
I should think the BBC's report of carcasses put over the side on the way to celebrate Eid, is much more likely.
The resort we stayed in this year was called Shark's Bay, which really does suggest that the fish is around......
Jo.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Jo.
19 cruises; 10 ships; 7 lines; 89 ports