Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Critic News & Feature Articles

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Cruise Critic News & Feature Articles Up-to-the minute News & Feature Articles from Cruise Critic

Old December 21st, 2010, 12:40 PM
Sr. Manager, Community
Cruise Critic

Post Captain No Longer at the Helm Following Brilliance of the Seas Nightmare Cruise

Cruise Critic has just posted the following news:

Captain No Longer at the Helm Following Brilliance of the Seas Nightmare Cruise

Read the entire news article...

Old December 21st, 2010, 02:25 PM
50,000+ Club

Thanks for the news. I had been wondering what, if anything, would happen to the captain.

Old December 22nd, 2010, 01:43 AM
Cool Cruiser

Hi,
While it could be the ''easy thing '' to do, let's not automatically read into this that the Master has been '' removed'' ( suspended, fired, dismissed, etc,etc,,,.....).
His taking part in the ''after'' review is standard protocol following any type of marine incidents of the nature that Brilliance experienced. He is the vital component of such reviews, which would not ever be conducted without the affected ship's master present .
He was due for his time off Jan 10th anyways, ~~ 3 weeks from now, so the most logical and practical thing to do is to finish his current assignent/tour of duty earlier, and he'll start his '' normal '' xx months off'' after the review.
As RCCL pointed out, he was tapped to return on Brilliance after his time off....and will !!

Who knows, we might find that, in the circumstances and scenario he was plunghed in with Brilliance, his various choices and decisions might have avoided an eve worse outcome....
Now...as to his alleged use of the word '' mistake''...well, that's a matter for his superior and himself to go over....

Cheers
Past waves & great memories: Island Princess ( x2), Dawn Princess, Regal Princess, Coral princess, X Summit ( 2 ), X Mercury ( x2 ) , X Century ( X 3 ), X Infinity, X Millenium ( x 3 ). NCL Star.HAL's Oosterdam, RCCL Mariner of the Seas. X Constellation .X Solstice
next up:: will NOT be on Celebrity !
Claude G.

Old December 22nd, 2010, 12:14 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Captain Erik

I hope that Captain Erik isn't blamed for this incident. I sailed on this cruise with my wife and mother-inlaw. We were happy with the onboard credit, but were disappointed with the way food service was conducted after the incident. Having to wait in one line at the main dining room when they could actually run two lines by opening the other door to the main dining room would have prevented people just finishing lunch when they were trying to open for dinner, they had two buffet lines open.

I have sailed twice with Captain Erik prior to this sailing, and he took all precautions and we had a great time.

This incident occurred at about 2:30am, and I find it hard to believe the captain wasn't in bed like the rest of us as he would have had to be on the bridge to take us into port at 6:00am.

The demonstration in the centrum started with a small number of people complaining about some people getting $400 and the rest getting $200 obc. As more and more people stopped to listen and the Hotel manager arrived to talk to the people gathered. He told us the that the on board credit was the most the amount they were allowed to issue on their own authority, a small number of people on deck 4 started shouting him down and calling him a liar, The people on the upper decks couldn't hear what he was saying during this shouting incident. He told everyone he would talk to the corporate office and make an annoucement at 2:00pm. At 2:00pm he announced the Captain would make an announcement at 6:00pm regarding information from the corporate office. At 6:00pm the Captain announce the refund.

It was disappointing not being able to go into Eygpt and see the pyrimids, and this was the reason my 85 year old mother-in-law went on this cruise. But, we enjoyed all the other ports we visited and no one in our party was injured.

My mother=in=law told us of rough weather cruises she had been on on smaller ships that put up ropes for the passengers to use when they walked around the ship.

This cruise hit a number of storms with high winds and waves, and the Captain explained that the ship was in line to enter the port where the cargo ships are ussually at anchor, but because of the storm they were manuevering instead. The ship at to move to avoid the cargo ships and was moving at a slow speed when they attepted to turn into the wind and seas. This turn slowed the ship even more thus disengaging the stabilizers, and the ship took the hurricane force wind and several high waves broadside causing the listing.

Hey it was just another E-Ticket ride in life. To all who were on the ship with us I say why not cruise again it's a hell of a lot better then staying home and dieing of boredom.

Live life with gusto and take the danger that goes with living a full and woderful life.

Old December 23rd, 2010, 01:17 AM
Cool Cruiser

Hi,
I personally think, and this is my opinion only, that the title of this thread is a weebit misleading ...seems to link his '' no longer at the helm '' with
''Brilliance of the Seas nightmare cruise'' ...

Cheers
Past waves & great memories: Island Princess ( x2), Dawn Princess, Regal Princess, Coral princess, X Summit ( 2 ), X Mercury ( x2 ) , X Century ( X 3 ), X Infinity, X Millenium ( x 3 ). NCL Star.HAL's Oosterdam, RCCL Mariner of the Seas. X Constellation .X Solstice
next up:: will NOT be on Celebrity !
Claude G.

Old December 23rd, 2010, 02:25 AM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipp_r1 View Post
I hope that Captain Erik isn't blamed for this incident. I sailed on this cruise with my wife and mother-inlaw. We were happy with the onboard credit, but were disappointed with the way food service was conducted after the incident. Having to wait in one line at the main dining room when they could actually run two lines by opening the other door to the main dining room would have prevented people just finishing lunch when they were trying to open for dinner, they had two buffet lines open.

I have sailed twice with Captain Erik prior to this sailing, and he took all precautions and we had a great time.

This incident occurred at about 2:30am, and I find it hard to believe the captain wasn't in bed like the rest of us as he would have had to be on the bridge to take us into port at 6:00am.

The demonstration in the centrum started with a small number of people complaining about some people getting $400 and the rest getting $200 obc. As more and more people stopped to listen and the Hotel manager arrived to talk to the people gathered. He told us the that the on board credit was the most the amount they were allowed to issue on their own authority, a small number of people on deck 4 started shouting him down and calling him a liar, The people on the upper decks couldn't hear what he was saying during this shouting incident. He told everyone he would talk to the corporate office and make an annoucement at 2:00pm. At 2:00pm he announced the Captain would make an announcement at 6:00pm regarding information from the corporate office. At 6:00pm the Captain announce the refund.

It was disappointing not being able to go into Eygpt and see the pyrimids, and this was the reason my 85 year old mother-in-law went on this cruise. But, we enjoyed all the other ports we visited and no one in our party was injured.

My mother=in=law told us of rough weather cruises she had been on on smaller ships that put up ropes for the passengers to use when they walked around the ship.

This cruise hit a number of storms with high winds and waves, and the Captain explained that the ship was in line to enter the port where the cargo ships are ussually at anchor, but because of the storm they were manuevering instead. The ship at to move to avoid the cargo ships and was moving at a slow speed when they attepted to turn into the wind and seas. This turn slowed the ship even more thus disengaging the stabilizers, and the ship took the hurricane force wind and several high waves broadside causing the listing.

Hey it was just another E-Ticket ride in life. To all who were on the ship with us I say why not cruise again it's a hell of a lot better then staying home and dieing of boredom.

Live life with gusto and take the danger that goes with living a full and woderful life.
Thanks for posting your first-hand experience -- you have a great attitude about all of it! Glad you are all OK, but so sorry that you missed the pyramids. Your 85-year-old MIL sounds cool -- she must have some great cruise stories!

We sailed with Captain Erik on Freedom in 2007 -- one of the smoothest sailings we've ever experienced with RC. Hope he comes out of this OK.

Old December 30th, 2010, 04:26 AM
Cool Cruiser

I sailed on the subsequent cruise on 17th December and the Staff Captain told me the list was 15 degrees.

Old January 22nd, 2011, 07:19 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Well Said

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipp_r1 View Post

I love the E-ticket statement! Good for you and thanks for the great account of that trip!! Enjoy life while you have it!!!
Celebrity Mercury - Alaska
Carnival Spirit - Hawaii
Coral Princess - Panama Canal
Sapphire Princess - Coastal
HAL - Mediiterranean Oct 2012
Emerald Princess - 10 day Caribbean Feb 2013

Old January 22nd, 2011, 07:37 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacationer4Life101 View Post
How does something like this even happen?!?!
If you want no movement or no large movement, take a cruise on land at a full service hotel. Ships do things and sometimes do things that are not comfortable for the passengers.

DON

Old January 27th, 2011, 01:56 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldsc View Post
If you want no movement or no large movement, take a cruise on land at a full service hotel. Ships do things and sometimes do things that are not comfortable for the passengers.

DON

A ship in harbor is safe -- but that is not what ships are built for.
John A. Shedd, Salt from My Attic, 1928

• Inside Passage, Seattle to Haynes: Alaska Marine Hwy
    "M/V Columbia" June 1978
  • Yangtze River: China Regal "Princess Sheena" June 1996
  • Alaska: Celebrity "Infinity" September 2005
  • Riviera Mexicana: "Diamond Princess" January 2007
  • European Rivers: GCT "M/S River Symphony" October 2007
  • Upper Mississippi River: "American Queen" August 2007

• Rhone River France: GCT "M/S Chardonnay" April 2009
  • Seine River France: GCT "M/S Bizet" June 2009
  • Panama Canal: HAL "Oosterdam" November 2009
  • South America: NCL "Sun" January 2010