Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Holland America Line

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Holland America Line
Read thousands of Holland America Cruise Reviews from real cruisers and compare the best Holland America Cruise Deals

How to Organize a Cruise Critic Meet & Mingle (Meet & Greet) on Board Your Holland America Cruise

NEW! Find Your HOLLAND AMERICA Roll Call

Old December 27th, 2010, 01:55 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Naked neighbors on balcony next door...

Hi, just back from our first HAL cruise on the Oosterdam...it was a good cruise but we wouldn't sail with HAL again. We much prefer Princess and NCL in all areas except for stateroom/room service dining and the crew.

But...just curious if this has happened to anyone before. It wasn't the end of the world...just weird. Our first sea day we sat out on our balcony (fantastic one at that!) and our neighbors (maybe you are on CC?) came out to tan on theirs too..butt naked...I mean nothing on the man or woman. I don't think they were Canadians as they were way too tanned (or should I say leathery) so maybe from Europe where it's hotter? Anyhoo...my DH and I vacation alot at All inclusives so we are used to seeing the man in the thong and the women that go topless...not a big deal...but I am not sure if they realized we (and how many others?) could see them.

I told my DH if we can see them (through the glare of the panel) that they could see us so make sure he wears something when out there...we were pretty close to the balcony cabins that "swing out" so I think they might have been seen by many people...interesting...the second sea day the same thing...both naked out suntanning...the last sea day it was too cold for it.

Also I feel sorry for a couple that must not have been getting their "special" gifts. At the Pinnacle Grill one night the waiter came over and presented us with a special cake for our special celebration! Again the captain sent us a note to congratulate us...I phoned down to say that some couple was being confused for us but these things kept on happening...oh well...hope the "real couple" got something!
Norwegian Dawn (December 2009) Southern Caribbean
Crown Princess (November 2008) Eastern Caribbean
Norwegian Star (September 2008) Mexican Riviera
Norwegian Star (December 2007) Mexican Riviera
Star Princess (December 2006) Western Caribbean

Ad Sponsored By
Old December 27th, 2010, 02:12 PM
10,000+ Club

But how were they dressed on Formal Night?

Oosterdam Feb '04 RSVP Western Caribbean; Amsterdam Sept '04 Alaska - Glacier Bay; MSC Opera Feb '05 Eastern Caribbean; Oosterdam Sept '05 RSVP Alaska - Hubbard Glacier; Noordam Inaugural Feb '06 Caribbean; X/Mercury May '06 - (the 2/11ths cruise); Noordam Jan '07 Caribbean - The CC Reunion Cruise; Volendam Nov '07 - Panama Canal Seafarer; Eurodam Prelude & Inaugural - July '08 Rotterdam-Copenhagen, Norwegian Fjords/British Isles; Noordam Jan '09 Caribbean: "Voyage of the Good Nuts"; Ryndam Sept '09 Southbound Alaska Cruisetour; Zaandam March '10 Circle Hawaii "Voyage of the Macadamia Nuts"; Noordam Feb '11 Southern Caribbean "The Wedding"; Eurodam, December '11 Eastern Caribbean; Queen Elizabeth, Jan '13 - Westbound Panama Canal, Grand Princess, Feb '14 - Hawaii

Old December 27th, 2010, 02:14 PM
50,000+ Club

Welcome Home

Sorry that in some ways that you did not specifically mention that you were disappointed in HAL and won't be sailing them again.

Naked people on a balcony -- yes -- years ago on one of the Vista class ships the people in the Penthouse were always out there naked.

As for celebrations -- we don't do them any more on HAL -- even though they have known our dates (and even mentioned it several times) -- when the actual date arrived -- nothing -- no cake -- never a card from anyone.

Old December 27th, 2010, 02:21 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bepsf View Post
Funny.

Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bepsf View Post
Funny...we never saw their faces after the initial shock wore off...each night at dinner we looked around to see if we saw a really tanned older couple but never saw one!

I have to say that we have never seen such awful dressed people on formal night or the other nights as we did on HAL. After reading these boards my DH brought a nice suit to wear and I brought a couple of black dresses and it was for nothing...although we quite enjoyed it and we got some nice formal pics taken. Honestly, the guests on NCL were much better dressed on "formal optional" night than on HAL's "formal night". Not sure if it was just this cruise or where we sailed out of or what but we have never seen SO many jeans, runners and sweatshirts! It usually doesn't bother us but we were expecting more after reading these boards. Someone did point out however that these boards make up such a tiny part of the passengers.

Cool Cruiser

We had that happen when we went on a Princess Cruise. As you may know, Princess ships have a cascading balcony set up. We were on the Baja deck, and I came out on the balcony one day, looked down and there was a man butt naked lying on his stomach sunbathing. We were stopping at St Martin that trip so maybe he was just preparing for Orient Beach.

Carnival - Tropicale, Festival, Sensation (3), Ecstasy, Triumph (2), Fasination
NCL - Norway (3), Sky, Majesty
RCCL - Grandeur (2), Freedom of the Seas, Mariner of the Seas, Monarch of the Seas, Allure of the Seas, Oasis of the Seas
Celebrity - Century (6), Infinity (2), Summit
Holland America - Eurodam (2), Neiuw Amsterdam (old one), Westerdam, Zaandam (4), Zuiderdam (5), Noordam, Neiuw Amsterdam (New)
Princess - Caribbean Princess (2), Golden Princess (2), Grand Princess (4) Royal Princess

Old December 27th, 2010, 02:25 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazy Kruizers View Post
Welcome Home

Sorry that in some ways that you did not specifically mention that you were disappointed in HAL and won't be sailing them again.

Naked people on a balcony -- yes -- years ago on one of the Vista class ships the people in the Penthouse were always out there naked.

As for celebrations -- we don't do them any more on HAL -- even though they have known our dates (and even mentioned it several times) -- when the actual date arrived -- nothing -- no cake -- never a card from anyone.
Thanks! I've been reading these boards long enough to know that if I say that I don't love HAL that I will be flamed! There really is a cruiseline for everyone and we are glad we tried HAL.

Old December 27th, 2010, 02:27 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by iriemon View Post
We had that happen when we went on a Princess Cruise. As you may know, Princess ships have a cascading balcony set up. We were on the Baja deck, and I came out on the balcony one day, looked down and there was a man butt naked lying on his stomach sunbathing. We were stopping at St Martin that trip so maybe he was just preparing for Orient Beach.
Well at least he was on his stomach! This man just simply sat in his chair...note to self...wash off deck chair before using next time!

Old December 27th, 2010, 02:32 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexico5 View Post
Well at least he was on his stomach! This man just simply sat in his chair...note to self...wash off deck chair before using next time!
We did not stay out long enough to see if he turned over or not.

Better yet, pack the can of lysol.

Carnival - Tropicale, Festival, Sensation (3), Ecstasy, Triumph (2), Fasination
NCL - Norway (3), Sky, Majesty
RCCL - Grandeur (2), Freedom of the Seas, Mariner of the Seas, Monarch of the Seas, Allure of the Seas, Oasis of the Seas
Celebrity - Century (6), Infinity (2), Summit
Holland America - Eurodam (2), Neiuw Amsterdam (old one), Westerdam, Zaandam (4), Zuiderdam (5), Noordam, Neiuw Amsterdam (New)
Princess - Caribbean Princess (2), Golden Princess (2), Grand Princess (4) Royal Princess

Old December 27th, 2010, 02:42 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Question

Never seen anyone (so far) in the 'buff' out on their balcony.

May I ask why you said you would not go on HAL again but prefer Princess. This will be my 1st cruise coming up on HAL Oosterdam with my DD. I do hope we will enjoy ourselves since we do like the night-life on a cruise and love to dance. Was there much dancing (Classic Rock, 70s, 80's) music going on?

WESTERN CARIBBEAN CRUISE on CARIBBEAN PRINCESS

'GIRLS ONLY CRUISE' - APRIL 26, 2014

WESTERN CARIBBEAN CRUISE on CARNIVAL DREAM

***PRE-CHRISTMAS CRUISE- DEC. 7, 2014****

COMPLETED CRUISES:
Carnival - 'Festivale': Eastern Caribbean 9-22-89
Royal Caribbean - 'Rhapsody of the Seas': Western Caribbean 9-10-06
Carnival - 'Ecstasy': Western Caribbean 1-27-07
Princess - 'Golden Princess': Mexican Riviera 10-27-07
Princess - 'Crown Princess': Eastern Caribbean 10-26-08
Princess - 'Sapphire Princess': Mexican Riviera 10-31-09
Princess - 'Emerald Princess': Eastern Caribbean 11-28-10
Holland America - 'Oosterdam': Mexican Riviera 1-29-11
Princess - 'Emerald Princess': Southern Caribbean 11-28-11
Carnival - 'Destiny': Bahama Islands-Grand Turk 12-12-11
Princess - 'Grand Princess': 14 Days-Caribbean 11-24-12
Carnival - 'Magic':
Western Caribbean 2-3-13
Princess - 'Emerald Princess': Eastern Caribbean 11-29-13

Old December 27th, 2010, 02:56 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by monakayk View Post
Never seen anyone (so far) in the 'buff' out on their balcony.

May I ask why you said you would not go on HAL again but prefer Princess. This will be my 1st cruise coming up on HAL Oosterdam with my DD. I do hope we will enjoy ourselves since we do like the night-life on a cruise and love to dance. Was there much dancing (Classic Rock, 70s, 80's) music going on?
Hi, the main reason is the "open seating" dining. To sum things up my DH and I ONLY want a table for 2...breakfast, lunch and dinner. Before anyone calls him anti social, it's not that at all! He's a lawyer and works very hard and is just plain tired of having to talk to people and we want "alone" time. Also he wouldn't want to have to stop me from reaching across the table during a heated political debate It seems to me that the HAL cruiser likes the "open seating" concept but uses it differently than the passengers do on Princess and NCL. HAL passengers like the flexible dining times but still like to have tablemates. That's only one portion of it for us...we want flexible dining times and a table for 2. We figured out we needed to make reservations every night in order to have a table for 2 so that was alright. BUT...we don't like to have reservations...sort of defeats the "anytime" dining concept. On Princess we never had reservations and only had to wait one night for a bit and the girl simply gave us a beeper and we went for a drink. Same thing on NCL. I also thought the dining room was not nearly as beautiful as the one on NCl or Princess...

Sorry I can't help you with the dancing...maybe the passengers came to life at night, but during the day the lounges were mainly filled with passengers reading! We like to have an early afternoon martini (doesn't have to be happy hour) and we were hard pressed to find one open.

You will have a great cruise! DH and I have never had a bad one, but you can't help compare the lines and pick one that meets most of your requirements!

Old December 27th, 2010, 02:58 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Also on Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by iriemon View Post
Likewise, on a Princess cruise - if you are familiar with the Caribe deck, it has the larger balcony that is half covered/half "naked". We were on the deck above and several times when we were on our balcony a deck above, the couple below would be out in the altogether doing some scenic viewing.

It was several days before they happened to look up and notice that they were putting on a show for one and all above them. Love the Caribe balconies, but please stay under the covered portion if you're going natural.

Old December 27th, 2010, 03:20 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Hi, the main reason is the "open seating" dining. To sum things up my DH and I ONLY want a table for 2...breakfast, lunch and dinner. Before anyone calls him anti social, it's not that at all! He's a lawyer and works very hard and is just plain tired of having to talk to people and we want "alone" time. Also he wouldn't want to have to stop me from reaching across the table during a heated political debate It seems to me that the HAL cruiser likes the "open seating" concept but uses it differently than the passengers do on Princess and NCL. HAL passengers like the flexible dining times but still like to have tablemates. That's only one portion of it for us...we want flexible dining times and a table for 2. We figured out we needed to make reservations every night in order to have a table for 2 so that was alright. BUT...we don't like to have reservations...sort of defeats the "anytime" dining concept. On Princess we never had reservations and only had to wait one night for a bit and the girl simply gave us a beeper and we went for a drink. Same thing on NCL. I also thought the dining room was not nearly as beautiful as the one on NCl or Princess...

Sorry I can't help you with the dancing...maybe the passengers came to life at night, but during the day the lounges were mainly filled with passengers reading! We like to have an early afternoon martini (doesn't have to be happy hour) and we were hard pressed to find one open.

You will have a great cruise! DH and I have never had a bad one, but you can't help compare the lines and pick one that meets most of your requirements!
I'm sorry that you didn't enjoy HAL. There is a cruise line for everyone. I like both HAL and Princess but have been leaning towards HAL lately. It's perfectly fine to want a 2 top and I don't think that's being anti social. That's just nasty about the naked folks. That's just TMI.

4 Star mariner on HAL/Elite on Princess

Old December 27th, 2010, 03:25 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Cool consider

One might consider that sailing on 7 day and in some areas brings out, well ,different people.

General rule of thumb I follow is the passengers, of any line tend to become more mannered and better dressed for every day past 14 days.
For that very reason I choose cruises of 21 to 28 day.

Also sailing to place line Mexico and the Carribe appeal to people more into party and indulgence of self...a beach party atmosphere reigns supreme, rather than a sence of formality.
Age has nothing to do with it I have observed its lenght and destination that seem to rule.

If your going fishing, you need to be aware that certain baits attracts specific fish

It sort of sounded that you objection to Holland America was based more on passenger quality , or lack there of, as you indicated you like the Food, Crew, Cabin, Ship ( what else is there?).

I might suggest that there is too a general trend for the popular lines to lower the bar for the markets they seek as passengers.

You might want to consider Regent or Seabourn..... not that much more expensive when all things are considered.... and a pretty strong assurance that your fellow passengers will be a delight to dine and mingle with to a much higher degree.
Holland America...a few times..
Celebrity..a few times
NCl...a few times

,Kingfish, Mystic Knights of the Sea

USS Vammen( DE 644)
USS Trathen( DD530.)..
USS Midway ( CV41)
"In harms way" ........ a many times

Old December 27th, 2010, 03:38 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaiidan View Post
One might consider that sailing on 7 day and in some areas brings out, well ,different people.

General rule of thumb I follow is the passengers, of any line tend to become more mannered and better dressed for every day past 14 days.
For that very reason I choose cruises of 21 to 28 day.

Also sailing to place line Mexico and the Carribe appeal to people more into party and indulgence of self...a beach party atmosphere reigns supreme, rather than a sence of formality.
Age has nothing to do with it I have observed its lenght and destination that seem to rule.

If your going fishing, you need to be aware that certain baits attracts specific fish

It sort of sounded that you objection to Holland America was based more on passenger quality , or lack there of, as you indicated you like the Food, Crew, Cabin, Ship ( what else is there?).

I might suggest that there is too a general trend for the popular lines to lower the bar for the markets they seek as passengers.

You might want to consider Regent or Seabourn..... not that much more expensive when all things are considered.... and a pretty strong assurance that your fellow passengers will be a delight to dine and mingle with to a much higher degree.
Actually I find most of your comments not to be what I was thinking at all! I have been on other Mexican and Caribbean cruises and formal night for the most part was really nice and people were dressed according to dress code. Also I stated that the room service dining/cabin and crew were highlights...I didn't mention the food or the ship as being fabulous at all.

As for dining with a certain "type" of person on Regent or Seabourn..think you didn't get it there either. We like NCL and we like all sorts of passengers...rich/poor/young/old/quiet/loud, etc...doesn't matter. It's just that formal night on HAL was nothing like I thought it would be according to these boards.

Old December 27th, 2010, 03:39 PM
Cool Cruiser

[quote=mexico5;27276431]

But...just curious if this has happened to anyone before. It wasn't the end of the world...just weird. Our first sea day we sat out on our balcony (fantastic one at that!) and our neighbors (maybe you are on CC?) came out to tan on theirs too..butt naked...I mean nothing on the man or woman. I don't think they were Canadians as they were way too tanned (or should I say leathery) so maybe from Europe where it's hotter? Anyhoo...my DH and I vacation alot at All inclusives so we are used to seeing the man in the thong and the women that go topless...not a big deal...but I am not sure if they realized we (and how many others?) could see them.

Sooo!

Old December 27th, 2010, 03:43 PM
Cool Cruiser

My wife and I just came back from the NA Christmas cruise. It was a very enjoyable cruise on a beautiful ship. We too chose the "as you wish" dine option. We always asked for a table for two, and never had to wait more than fifteen minutes. The service as always outstanding and the food very good.
As for naked people on a balcony, we have never seen any. However, we have traveled extensively in Europe, where people are not so concerned about nudity, so we have had our share of naked people. To that I say, so what?

Old December 27th, 2010, 03:44 PM
Cool Cruiser

[quote=Hal&Rob;27277410]
Quote:

Sooo!

Sooo...it's a little difficult to enjoy a tuna melt when the leathery parts are staring out at you! I tried turning my chair but I wanted to face the sun!

Old December 27th, 2010, 04:02 PM
Cool Cruiser

[quote=mexico5;27277468]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal&Rob View Post

Sooo...it's a little difficult to enjoy a tuna melt when the leathery parts are staring out at you! I tried turning my chair but I wanted to face the sun!
I would think it is impossible to face the sun, eat the tuna melt, and watch the neighbors at the same time. HUMMM!

Old December 27th, 2010, 04:32 PM
Cool Cruiser

at least they weren't smokers...