Questions for wine aficianados....

Girlsnightout

I understand that Carnival is OK with us taking wine aboard...my question is, how much? Is 6 bottles OK? Is there stemware in the cabins? Another question, did anyone notice any reasonably priced barbarescos or a meritage on the wine list?

Does anyone have a copy of the list, or wines available by the glass?

Thanks!

Carnival's policy is "One or two bottles of fine wine may be brought on board for use in your cabin, or you may bring wine to the dining room for a small corkage fee."

However ..... I know many who have brought several bottles of wine in their checked luggage. Just be sure to bubblewrap it well.

There may be wine glasses in the suites; however, I've never had a suite, just inside and regular OV cabins. No glasses there....but you can get some from any bar on deck - or ask your cabin steward to bring some.

If you have ordered wine to be sent to your cabin, or if someone has sent you a bottle as a bon voyage gift, there will be wine glasses and a corkscrew in your cabin when you arrive.

Yep, we carried them on (in a soft-sided cooler that looks like a tote) and they said nothing. Their only concern was if there was ice or water in the cooler that could leak when it was put through the x-ray machine. My husband said, nope, only liquor, and they said OK, go ahead. I stood there with my mouth open, saying no, it's NOT liquor, it's only wine (all the same to my husband, but I KNOW you're not "allowed" to carry on liquor).

Anyway, like I said, we had an inside room and we did have wine & champagne glasses in there when we arrived. It was the first time we had them in our room on a Carnival cruise without having to ask for them. Have fun -- we loved the Glory!

I have took 3 bottles on our last cruise on without issue. It was a carry on. We asked the room steward to bring us 2 wine glasses and he arranged it for us. I prefer to bring some of my own stock on as we are picky with the wine. Carnival did however have a nice varied selection to choose from. Enjoy your cruise.Brian

I'd love to see their wine list...I'm pretty picky about wine, and usually my husband picks for me, he's the collector and the expert, I just know what I like. If I could see a wine list, I would know how much I want to bring...

Hopefully someone has it scanned somewhere.

Beth I'm going to check out your pictures...there are 17 of us going, all moms and kids, no husbands, we're going for the kids spring break and have booked everything from insides to suites...I'm glad you loved the Glory, it's my 7th cruise but first on Carnival and I'm a little apprehensive.

Cheryl - have a great time on the Inspiration!! (Jealous!)

We brought two bottles in our luggage (checked), and enjoyed one in the stateroom and one in the dining room. Our server chilled the bottle for us the first night, and I only had one glass from it each evening. The second evening, our server said he would waive the corkage fee for us, since we weren't bringing bottles and bottles to dinner. :D So it seems the corkage fee is a discretionary thing.

I did go through the bottle by the fourth night, so the last night I bought a glass of Vouvray from the wine list. It was very good - though the GLASS of wine cost more than the bottle I brought from home and enjoyed every night before. LOL. Not trying to stiff anyone, I just really like my Tabor Hill, it goes with anything!

Go to the Carnival website, then go to Gifts and Services. I think they have the entire wine list. That's where I chose the wine to send to my son's cabin in December.

I think it is pretty complete as well. I was also under the impression that you can call them and get other stuff to, but I am not for certain about that. I know on NCL you could.

Brian

I'd love to see their wine list...I'm pretty picky about wine, and usually my husband picks for me, he's the collector and the expert, I just know what I like. If I could see a wine list, I would know how much I want to bring...

Bring along all that you would like to drink - as Carnival will charge between TWO to THREE times what you can pick the wine up locally for. Carnival knows that when their captive audience is in PARTY MODE price is not much of an issue... we try to think ahead, to avoid that impulsiveness!

Tom

On our last Carnival cruise, we carried on a 4-pack of wine from our local winery without a problem. DH has a corkscrew on his little tool-thingy, so we didn't have to worry about that. We asked for wine glasses from our cabin steward the first night, and they were replaced with clean ones each subsequent night.

We're going on a 5-night cruise in March, and we plan on carrying on 5 bottles for that cruise. Sine we alos requested a tab le for 2 (on our 10th anniversary and want the privacy), we plan on bringing it to dinner most nights and paying the $10 corkage fee.

This is the latest list I have.

Wines and Champagne -

Bottle Glass (6oz)

Asti, Martini & Rossi $20.00 ---

Moet & Chandon, White Star $58.00 ---

Korbell, Brut $21.00 $4.95

White Zinfandel, Beringer $21.00 $4.95

Sauvignon Blanc, Beringer $27.00 $6.25

Fume Blanc, Robert Mondavi $29.00 $6.50

Chardonnay Reserva, Caliterra $25.00 $5.75

Chardonnay, Meridian $27.00 $6.25

Chardonnay, Beringer $29.00 $6.50

Gamay Beaujolais, Beringer $20.00 $4.50

Pinot Noir, Gallo of Sonoma $24.00 $5.75

Merlot, Columbia Crest $27.00 $6.25

Zinfandel, Fetzer $22.00 $4.95

Cabernet Sauvignon Reserva, Caliterra $25.00 $5.75

Cabernet Sauvignon, Meridian $25.00 $5.75

Champagne Mimosa --- $4.95

Champagne Cocktail --- $4.95

We just came off the 23 Jan. sailing of the Miracle. We carried 7 bottles of wine on in our carry on bags. My husband carried 4, me 3. They were perfectly ok with it. We also carried a case of water and a 2-12packs of diet sodas (we don't drink diet coke) on the "old fashioned" luggage wheels, and secured the items with bungee cords, which came in handy for our balcony door.

We had 8 people at our table for dinner and everyone brought on the same amount of wine as we did. No one had any problems. My nephew actually put some of his bottles in their checked luggage and wrapped them with bubble wrap. (I would be afraid to do this!!) All of us averaged about 4 $10.00 corkage charges. We took very good care of our wait staff. They were incredible.

I did print off a wine list that I found thru google, but cannot seem to locate now. I watched for several of my favorites to go on sale that was also on the Carnival wine list. Everyone brought their favorites and we shared bottles. It was a great way to try new wines and a fun thing to do as a group. It also allowed us to have good wines at a fair price even with the corkage fees.

We all live in the Tampa bay area, so we did not have to worry about the

airport problems. So it was pretty easy for us to do.

Our cabins did have wine glasses.

Hope you have as much fun on your cruise as we did:):).

Lots of great information here, the wine list looks like pretty basic fare...I guess I'll be packing my own.

The prices aren't too terrible...I can get the Meridian chard for 11.99 with a case discount, so if you add the corkage fee it's really not that much of a difference, same with the Mondavi Fume Blanc, but I'll probably have a few glasses in the cabin, so it's definitely worth bringing some.

Great info though, thanks for the responses!:)

Archived