Transporting Wine

Winesnob

I am leaving for the Star Princess in less than 2 weeks and I was looking for some advice on transporting 7 bottles of wine since my wife and I did not care for the selection on the ship on our last princess cruise. We were thinking of wraping the wine in bubble wrap within our luggage. I would like to know if anybody has any better ideas on transporting wine.

Cheers

If you are planning on placing 7 bottles of wine in your checked luggage.........:eek: That is a lot of wine if something gets broken and ruins all of your clothes. I would suggest a wheeled carry on or two and go that route. I have seen bottles like this break in suitcases and even though they are wrapped in bubble wrap and bagged, they can leak not only on your things but any other suitcases near or under them.

Either in a carry on or in a special box designed to carry bottles, like they give you in port would work. But that many in checked luggage? If nothing else, if you are flying, I would think they would put you over the weight limit unless you pack really light that is.

Coarse you didn't say if you were flying or driving.

I was checking into this as well. the better stores that sell wine also will sell shipping boxes. they are foam inside with bottle shaped places for the bottle and a box for the outside. they are made to mail wine, if it can make it through the mail they can make it in your suitcase. they are a bit expensive at $6.

I am leaving for the Star Princess in less than 2 weeks and I was looking for some advice on transporting 7 bottles of wine since my wife and I did not care for the selection on the ship on our last princess cruise. We were thinking of wraping the wine in bubble wrap within our luggage. I would like to know if anybody has any better ideas on transporting wine.

Cheers

We always bring our own wine. but never transport it on an airplane. We buy locally, either at the departure port or the stops.

Bob

We were on the Grand in the Fall of 2002. I took around 6-8 bottles from our wine cellar, put them in a wine shipping pack (a cardboard box with a styrofoam insert for the bottles) that I had saved, then placed that in an inexpensive canvas parachute bag that I bought on-line. There was enough room, inside the parachute bag, to stuff some extra items on each side, for additional cushioning (which probably wasn't necessary). If I remeber correctly, I used a 12 bottles shipping pack, and it fit very nicely in the parachute bag. I then checked the bag at the airport.

When we got on board, I took the wine-shipping box out of the parachute bag, which we used to hold and bring back dirty clothes, and had the room steward throw away the wine shipping box. Worked like a charm. No damage to the bottles.

we always bring 6-12 bottles with us.

We go to the local wine specialty store and buy a shipping box with the styrofoam inserts, pack the bottles (I put bubble wrap around the necks) and then seal the box real good. I write on all 4 sides of the box 'FRAGILE, GLASS' and we check it as luggage on the plane as well as on the ship and it's delivered to our room just fine. Have flown to Tahiti and Vancouver this way so the distance works out great! :p

We have been successful with bottles wrapped in bubble wrap and surrounded by clothes in a hard shell Samsonite. We never did more than three, however, and I wouldn't put seven in one suitcase. It would get very heavy apart from anything else. You don't want the handle tearing off when the airline baggage handlers grab it and heave.

Seven bottles of wine in your suitcase might also put the bag over the 50-lb weight limit and you'll be charged extra. I hate to have any more than I have to on flights, lugging stuff isn't my favorite thing. If you're flying in the night before, why not do some research about FLL wine stores and go shopping when you get there? The store would probably have something good to pack the wine in, and because Princess allows you to take wine & champagne on board, you could bring it onboard with your carry on luggage & not worry about breakage.

I live in the wine country of California and understand why you would prefer to bring the wine at our prices verses the price you would pay back east for the same thing. If it were me, I would put 2 bottles each in your wife and your carry-ons. Princess lets you carry on wine and champagne. Then I would buy 3 bottles off the wine list. They have a great selection and the price is reasonable. Don't take the chance of putting it in your suitcase for the airlines to transport.

Archived