Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Critic News & Feature Articles

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Cruise Critic News & Feature Articles Up-to-the minute News & Feature Articles from Cruise Critic

Old January 11th, 2011, 06:30 PM
Sr. Manager, Community
Cruise Critic

Post Do Cruise Ships Have a Drug Problem?

Cruise Critic has just posted the following news:

Do Cruise Ships Have a Drug Problem?

Read the entire news article...

Ad Sponsored By
Old January 11th, 2011, 06:46 PM
5,000+ Club

It seems like old news, because it is old news. Literally.

See the story posted by a local TV Station, which reports that the latest stash was found using information provided by the folks who were arrested in December.

No doubt they're trying to cut a deal for lesser punishment.

Theron
Enchantment of the Seas 10/28/2013 Bahamas | Enchantment of the Seas 1/5/2013 Eastern | NCL Epic 11/24/12 Eastern | Enchantment of the Seas 8/3/12 Bermuda | Enchantment of the Seas 2/18/12 The Bahamas | Enchantment of the Seas 9/22/11 Canada&NE | Enchantment of the Seas 5/28/11 Bermuda | Oasis of the Seas 5/15/10 Western | Freedom of the Seas 8/2/09 Western | Grandeur of the Seas 5/30/09 Bermuda | Adventure of the Seas 10/26/08 Southern | Vision of the Seas 12/9/07 Mexican Riviera | Grandeur of the Seas 8/19/07 Bermuda | Empress of the Seas 5/26/07 Bermuda | Grandeur of the Seas 10/27/06 Western | Grandeur of the Seas 10/28/05 Western | Explorer of the Seas 9/27/03 Western | Celebrity Century 9/28/02 Eastern (Thanks to Lili) | [126 days at sea! and counting!]
-----------------------------------------------------
[Cruise Tip Calculator - calculate the amount and type of bills you need to stuff your tipping envelopes]
[Version 2.1: Cruise Maps - a growing collection of cruise related maps from all over]
[Cruise Tools - Cruise Budget Spreadsheet - Plan your cruise costs]
[Theron's Albums - Photo albums of previous cruises and other places]

Old January 11th, 2011, 09:04 PM
20,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraS View Post
Do Cruise Ships Have a Drug Problem?
I've been on sixteen cruises and I haven't seen any of the ships taking any drugs.

Old January 12th, 2011, 04:44 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuizer2 View Post
I've been on sixteen cruises and I haven't seen any of the ships taking any drugs.
Well said. Hehehe. On a more serious note, though, when we took a family reunion cruise, I made it a point to tell family members that there medical marijuana ID's would be meaningless and if they needed drugs for sleep or pain control to get them from a doctor. The one family member who takes a prescribed narcotic was advised to bring a copy of the written prescription and a letter from her doctor as well.

I travel with syringes for my insulin and carry a letter of medical need.

Anyone who thinks they can get away with smuggling on a cruise if a fool. All it takes is one drug sniffing dog and you are history. I think there are several reasons we are seeing more busts now with better enforcement and more people feeling money pressures leading the list.

Overall, I don't think cruise ships have "a drug problem" any more than any other vacation venue. Quite the contrary.

Old January 12th, 2011, 09:15 AM
20,000+ Club

I have seen two arrests on cruise ships because of drugs. One was in Bermuda of a passenger with a small amount of illegal drugs and the other was in Columbia of a crew member for the same thing. Airlines have the exact same problem....

Old January 13th, 2011, 01:58 PM
50,000+ Club

We were on a HAL cruise when we saw a passenger being taken off an RCI ship in handcuffs in Ft Lauderdale -- we learned later that he had been arrested for drugs that he bought in one of the islands -- Jamaica.

Old September 28th, 2011, 01:44 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default It's not the ships

Cruise ships do not have a problem, it's the passengers !!!!

Old October 1st, 2011, 06:14 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by ra4fda View Post
Cruise ships do not have a problem, it's the passengers !!!!
+1

(Insert your favorite "inanimate object in the plural" here) don't (insert your favorite "criminal act"). People do...

Ships don't smuggle drugs... People do!

Among many, many other examples.

Theron
Enchantment of the Seas 10/28/2013 Bahamas | Enchantment of the Seas 1/5/2013 Eastern | NCL Epic 11/24/12 Eastern | Enchantment of the Seas 8/3/12 Bermuda | Enchantment of the Seas 2/18/12 The Bahamas | Enchantment of the Seas 9/22/11 Canada&NE | Enchantment of the Seas 5/28/11 Bermuda | Oasis of the Seas 5/15/10 Western | Freedom of the Seas 8/2/09 Western | Grandeur of the Seas 5/30/09 Bermuda | Adventure of the Seas 10/26/08 Southern | Vision of the Seas 12/9/07 Mexican Riviera | Grandeur of the Seas 8/19/07 Bermuda | Empress of the Seas 5/26/07 Bermuda | Grandeur of the Seas 10/27/06 Western | Grandeur of the Seas 10/28/05 Western | Explorer of the Seas 9/27/03 Western | Celebrity Century 9/28/02 Eastern (Thanks to Lili) | [126 days at sea! and counting!]
-----------------------------------------------------
[Cruise Tip Calculator - calculate the amount and type of bills you need to stuff your tipping envelopes]
[Version 2.1: Cruise Maps - a growing collection of cruise related maps from all over]
[Cruise Tools - Cruise Budget Spreadsheet - Plan your cruise costs]
[Theron's Albums - Photo albums of previous cruises and other places]