Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Ports of Call > Europe > Mediterranean - Eastern & Western > Other Mediterranean Ports

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Other Mediterranean Ports Dubrovnik, Gibraltar, Istanbul, Kotor, Kusadasi, La Goulette (Tunis), Lisbon, Madeira (Funchal), Malta, Odessa, Sevastopol, Varna, Zadar

Old January 12th, 2011, 08:21 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Problems in Tunis

We were looking forward to a Tunis stop to see Carthage later this year, but now there are problems. It seems to be dangerous. We are wondering what the ships will do. Thoughts?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110112/..._tunisia_riots

Ad Sponsored By
Old January 12th, 2011, 09:03 PM
Cool Cruiser

I hadn't heard about all of this. I hope it calms down soon for everyone's sake. As for us, I guess if it is bad when we are there, we will stay on the ship.

Here is a link I found to the US Dept of State website http://tunisia.usembassy.gov/service...y-12-2011.html

Old January 13th, 2011, 09:39 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by crenee44 View Post
I hadn't heard about all of this. I hope it calms down soon for everyone's sake. As for us, I guess if it is bad when we are there, we will stay on the ship.

Here is a link I found to the US Dept of State website http://tunisia.usembassy.gov/service...y-12-2011.html
Thank you for the link. Our cruise is scheduled for a stop in Tunisia in May, so we will be watching this carefully. Hoping peace returns to the area soon and the government resolves the issues they are demonstrating about. With an economy heavily dependent on tourism, this unrest only accelerates the problem.
Mariner of the Seas 02/06 Eastern Caribbean
Avalon Waterways 5/06 Blue Danube Discovery
Star Princess 5/07 The Baltic, St. Petersburg
M/S Cristal 09/08 Greece and Turkey
Uniworld 09/09 Paris to Normandy
Aegean Odyssey 08/10 Rome to Venice
Eurodam 5/11 Barcelona & the Med
Carnival Miracle 11/11 S. Caribbean
Viking River Cruises 5/12 Amsterdam RT

Old January 13th, 2011, 09:57 AM
10,000+ Club

From past experience, the cruise lines evaluate the situation and will determine the safety/prudence of making a port call if there is unrest.

Unfortunately, such determination often cannot be made very far in advance. For me, the best rule of thumb with cruising is to never take a cruise if one particular port is of overwhelming importance. Too many things can happen to prevent the ship from calling there. Better to take a land trip... Or at least go with the realization that you may not make that port.

Just during the 2010 Med season, there were ships that didn't make scheduled calls in Rome (weather), Athens (strikes), Ashdod (political issues), and Alexandria (weather again). I'm sure there were others, but I remember those just off the top of my head.

Old January 13th, 2011, 12:49 PM
Cool Cruiser

I totally agree and understand that things come up and ports are cancelled. We have had that happen to us before. On the other hand, I am leaning towards picking a new itinerary that calls on places where there is not active violence, US State Dept. warnings, and many recent deaths. Per the latest news this has been simmering for quite some time - 23 weeks per the latest news reports (Yikes!). This doesn't feel like a weather change or a quickly planned strike. It seems like there is enough time, notice and activity to have an orderly back up plan.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110113/..._tunisia_riots

Old January 13th, 2011, 01:09 PM
10,000+ Club

Yes, the news is not looking good. Both the itineraries I'm considering in 2011 have stops in Tunis, as luck would have it.

Perhaps if the "unrest" continues at this level they will evaluate and make a change in the itinerary. But I wouldn't count on that happening until maybe 3 months out....

If you have an option of making a reduced deposit with no penalty until final payment, that may be one way to go. You can reassess before final payment is due.

Old January 15th, 2011, 07:42 AM
Cool Cruiser

The unrest in Tunisia is being covered widely on UK TV news as British holidaymakers are being evacuated. To be fair, most are saying that the tourist areas are not being affected and that there is tremendous goodwill on the part of ordinary Tunisians towards tourists - it is the government that is under attack after all. However those tourists that are there are being kept in their hotels.

In addition to the US government advice, the UK government advice can be viewed online here: http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-...africa/tunisia

Clearly any ship sailing the Med at the moment is likely not to be stopping in Tunisia, but it is a beautiful country so hopefully sailings will be up and running over the summer when it's most popular as a stopover. However who knows? It's going to take a while to settle and to know which way things will go. As cruisemom42 says, ports are pulled from time to time and this is one that's going to be a point of uncertainty for a while.

Last edited by SallyUK; January 15th, 2011 at 07:48 AM.

Old January 15th, 2011, 03:25 PM
Cool Cruiser

The latest news I have heard is that President resigned and left the country. President of Parliament is taking over until new elections are held.
- Grand Princess: TransAtlantic, 2007.
- Norwegian Gem: W Med, 2007.
- Costa Allegra: Japan & China, 2008.
- Crown Princess: Baltics, 2008.
- MSC Lirica: Panama Canal-Carib, 2009.
- Costa Deliziosa: Emirates, 2011.
- Voyager of the Seas: Adriatic,2011.
- Allure of the Seas: W Caribbean, 2012.
- Grand Princess: Channel Islands, 2012.
- Costa Victoria:
South Asia, 2012-2013.
- Carnival Liberty: W Caribbean, 2013.

Old March 11th, 2011, 02:45 PM
Cool Cruiser

I don't know when it happened, but some time between when we booked our MSC Fantasia cruise (with a scheduled stop to Tunis on May 31) two weeks ago and now, that stop has been removed from the schedule. Here's to hoping things can get worked out between now and then.
Renaissance - East Asia (12/00)
Renaissance - Scandinavia (7/01)
Sea Princess - S. Caribbean (3/03)
NCL (Dream) - Texarribean (2/06)
Carnival Victory - S. Caribbean (2/09)
MSC Fantasia - Western Med (5/11)
Carnival Breeze - S. Caribbean (8/14)

Old March 11th, 2011, 02:49 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by SallyUK View Post
The unrest in Tunisia is being covered widely on UK TV news as British holidaymakers are being evacuated. To be fair, most are saying that the tourist areas are not being affected and that there is tremendous goodwill on the part of ordinary Tunisians towards tourists - it is the government that is under attack after all. However those tourists that are there are being kept in their hotels.

In addition to the US government advice, the UK government advice can be viewed online here: http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-...africa/tunisia

Clearly any ship sailing the Med at the moment is likely not to be stopping in Tunisia, but it is a beautiful country so hopefully sailings will be up and running over the summer when it's most popular as a stopover. However who knows? It's going to take a while to settle and to know which way things will go. As cruisemom42 says, ports are pulled from time to time and this is one that's going to be a point of uncertainty for a while.
That is all true but the Presidential house is located in Carthage so I am assuming that area around the Baths (the best part of Carthage IMHO) is a bit dicey right now.

Kirk