My review: Rays, Reef, and Rum Point tour with Nativeway

grenouille

Warning: long!

We were in GC last week on Feb 2nd, and did the Rays, Reef, and Rum Point tour with Nativeway. We had an absolutely amazing time. The weather was great- sunny for the most part, with only a bit of cloud cover.

Met Sharon at the Pier terminal at 9am. There were only 6 of us on the tour!! (3 couples) She drove us to the yacht club, where the hurricane damage was quite evident. Boarded their “Miracle Boat” (which I think is named the Sea Spirit) which was untouched by the hurricane. Huge boat for only 6 of us! The boat was in great condition. We met our two guides, Sheldon and Charlie- wonderful guys!

We headed out to Coral Gardens first for some snorkling. Saw lots of coral, a few stingrays and some fish. Waters were a bit choppy, so had to empty the snorkel quite a few times! Got some good pics.

We then headed out to the Coral Reef, our second stop. Same type of snorkeling- except this time, Sheldon managed to get an eel out of hiding with a bit of food! Coral was really neat, some so big that it actually protruded out of the water.

On the way to Stingray City, Sheldon dove down and brought up some conch shells, and showed us how to get the conch out of the shell. He then proceeded to clean the conch, and give everyone a taste of this raw delicacy! (well, everyone except for me, because of my seafood allergies.. )

Next stop was Stingray City, where the boat anchored in about 6-8 feet of water. The sandbar is only about 4 feet deep, so it was very easy to get around, walk, and pet the rays. It’s quite the sensation when they swim near you and brush up on your legs! Sheldon held the rays for us, taught us how to pet and feed them, and even held them up for a “ray hug” while pictures were being taken! We had plenty of individual time with Sheldon, since there were only 6 of us. We could see some of the other boats, with hoards of people on board, all getting into the water and waiting their turn to touch the rays, for only a few minutes. Not the case with our tour! My husband got some squid, and was able to feed the rays. They hover over your hand, and suction out the food like a vacuum. They really are beautiful and graceful creatures!

We then headed to Rum Point Beach. Beautiful!! Earlier, we had been handed out menus and our lunches were pre-ordered. Had a bit of a hiccup docking at Rum Point, since the dock was under construction. They allowed us to “sneak by” nonetheless. Sheldon and Charlie said that this construction had not been there a few days prior, so I’m assuming it was something temporary.

When we got onto the beach, our tables were all ready, with water, iced tea, and food was immediately brought out! Talk about service! My husband and I had the jerk pork sandwich, which was served with fries! Delicious! We then had about 1 ½ hours to walk around the beach, swim, sit in the hammock, or whatever! We walked around, took pictures (saw a few abandonned hotel-type buildings that were damaged from the hurricane), and swam. The beach is really wonderful, although not terribly big. The water is very shallow, and seems to stay that way for quite a distance. The color of the water is just unbelievable.

We then headed back to the yacht club, where Eldon (Sharon’s husband) was waiting for us with a van to drive us back to the pier terminal. Got back to the pier around 3pm.

I have to say that this was the highlight of our cruise, and the best tour we have ever done. Absolutely worth every penny. It really felt like a personalized, private tour, and the guides were top-notch. It was a nice mix of everything, allowing snorkeling and beach time.

Truly amazing!

Some of our photos are up at http://photos.yahoo.com/debandrob@rogers.com in the Grand Cayman Album.

Enjoy!

Sammy: Yes, lunch was included in the price.

beachygirl: Thanks! We took our digital camera (Canon S45) and used it with an Ewa-Marine underwater bag. The bag worked out quite well, although it was a bit difficult to access certain buttons through the plastic.

jgmpuma: We were on the Westerdam. We were scheduled in port from 8am until 6pm. Last tender was at 5:30pm.

The tour is normally scheduled to return to the pier at 2:15pm. We extended it until 3pm, since everyone on our tour (6 of us) agreed (spent more time a Rum Point Beach). One couple had a 4pm departure time on the Explorer of the Sea, and their last tender was at 3:30pm, so they made it back in time. The two guides were aware of the departure times, so you should have no problem with a 4pm departure.

setcarp: There were definitely other items on the menu, such as, chicken, conch fritters, and a mahi-mahi sandwich. (our friends had the conch and the mahi-mahi, and said it was good!)

Newfiecruisers: Thanks! We snorkeled with Eagle Ray Divers in Cozumel. I'll be posting a review shortly in the Cozumel section. I'm not sure of the where we snorkeled- both spots were near the La Caleta marina, and you could see the ships in the distance. One, I think, was Dzul-Ha.

Any more questions??? :D

We did the Stingray Sandbar and Island Tour on February 3rd and had an equally great time. There were only 4 people on our tour. Our Island guide was a "Hell" native and was great and our stingray tour felt like having a personal guide instead of the other boats that would drive up packed as full as can be and with guides blowing whistles to let people know when to get back on. We can't recommend Nativeway enough!

Thanks so much for the Great Review, it sounds like DH may end up staying on the boat when I snorkel and swim with the Rays but I know he will enjoy the boat ride and watching. I am going to check into buying that Ewa-Marine bag. Did you purchase from an actual Camera Store? I just checked eBay and there was not a lot to choose from. We are looking forward to meeting up with the Nativeway crew 4 weeks from tomorrow:)

Thanks,

Lisa,

First thing is go to http://www.ewa-marine.com/ and find the model number of your camera, and the corresponding bag that you need.

I ordered mine from BH Photo, an authorized distributor, http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?A=search&Q=&b=161&shs=&ci=5237&ac=&Submit.x=12&Submit.y=5 ,as recommended by Ewa-Marine, since I was having problems with the Canadian distributor. Great, prompt service!

And make sure your DH has his swimsuit on, because he'll have trouble just watching, trying to resist those waters and those Rays!! The water is really beautiful, very clear! Like I said before, maybe 3 feet in the shallow parts.

Have fun!

Hi Deb & Rob,

Your pics are great - better than those we took using our disposable. Thanks for doing such a good review. I came to this board, ready to post mine. Now all I have to do is say - I agree.

We were on this excursion/tour with Deb & Rob. We concur that this day was absolute paradise. Eldon, Sharon, Sheldon & Charlie exceeded our expectations and each of them ensured we had a perfect day on their island.

There were several seafood items to choose from on the menu for Rum Point. We had all worked up quite an appetite, and I quickly devoured my mahi mahi burger.

For those of you travelling to Grand Cayman in the future, you will not be disappointed with your Nativeways experience.

Rick & Sue

Hi Rick ! Hi Sue!!

Glad you made it back!! (and sorry I beat you to the punch by posting a review of Nativeways!!! :p ) I was just so anxious to tell everyone what a wonderful excursion it was!

How was your trip? Were you doing B2B?

(btw- we misplaced your email- so drop us a line @ debandrob@rogers.com)

Hope to hear from you soon!

Thank you so much for posting the pics and the review. We have reserved our spot with nativeway for this tour in April off of the Miracle. I cannot wait. I am so excited to be doing this I just can't wait.

Did they have anything to drink on the boat or do we need to provide our own waters etc. for the boat time.

Rick & Sue - what type of disposable water camera did you use? I just bought a kodak and was hoping that it would take good pictures to share with everyone back at home. Did yours turn out okay? What would you suggest different?

Chelle

Yes, they did have drinks on the boat, water and fruit punch I think.

When we booked, the price was $50 pp (USD) but I think it is now $55pp.

Still a great deal, IMO.

The website is http://www.nativewaywatersports.com/

You won't be disappointed!!!

Have fun!

(and from what I remember, Rick and Sue had what looked like a Fuji underwater disposable)

Great pictures and information. Our family is booked the end of March and got so excited after looking at your pictures.

By any chance, was there any opportunity for a quick shopping trip close to the peer or Rum Point to get a bottle of alcohol before getting back to the ship?

We just booked this excursion and I was wondering if anyone recalls whether or not there are any menu items at Rum Point suitable for a vegetarian? My daughter doesn't eat any kind of meat, but she isn't too picky otherwise. Is there any salad, cheese stick, nacho or something type choice?

Thank you so much for posting the pics and the review. We have reserved our spot with nativeway for this tour in April off of the Miracle. I cannot wait. I am so excited to be doing this I just can't wait.

Did they have anything to drink on the boat or do we need to provide our own waters etc. for the boat time.

Rick & Sue - what type of disposable water camera did you use? I just bought a kodak and was hoping that it would take good pictures to share with everyone back at home. Did yours turn out okay? What would you suggest different?

Chelle

Chelle, We used Fuji underwater disposable cameras. Got two for $17 or $18 (Cdn) at Wal-Mart. It took pretty good pics. These cameras come in a plastic package. Keep the camera in the plastic until ready to use. I read somewhere from someone who seemed to know alot about cameras that these cameras should be used fairly soon (within a month) after opening the package.

There was juice and water on the boat to drink which was great as I tend to get quite thirsty after swimming in the salt water.

Someone else asked about vegetarian food. I believe there were nachos, but can't be certain. I think I originally posted that I had a mahi mahi sandwich/burger, when in fact it was ahi tuna. How could I have forgotten this delicious sandwich?

Again I want to say this was a ten-out-of ten day - and I would highly recommend this excursion.

Sue

In a little over a month we will be there...oh I am sooooo looking forward to it.

Sue thanks for the info :)

How much time did you have before the excursion or after the excursion to shop? My dh wants to run down to the Harley shop and get a t-shirt and look around. Was hoping that we would have a little time for that

Chelle

In a little over a month we will be there...oh I am sooooo looking forward to it.

Sue thanks for the info :)

How much time did you have before the excursion or after the excursion to shop? My dh wants to run down to the Harley shop and get a t-shirt and look around. Was hoping that we would have a little time for that

Chelle

You won't have time before our excursion to shop. They will get you back to the pier area whenever you'd like - we staying out at Rum Point for as long as possible. But, if you wanted half an hour or whatever to poke around the shops, it wouldn't be a problem. Just let your guides know.

My sister and friend and I are heading down on the Carnival Triumph and will be in Grand Cayman April 6. I emailed Sharon 3 days ago and have yet to hear back. Does it take her awhile sometimes?? I would really like to do this same tour.

When we booked we just telephoned - cost of the call was about $3 from Canada. Here is their phone # 345-916-5027. Have fun!

Hi!

Great pictures! Now I want to do that!

I went to the website. (Thank you so much for posting it) and it says not more that 25 people on the boat but it looks like it was much less on your tour.

Did you book something else or was it just the luck of the draw.

Beth

Archived