Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Critic News & Feature Articles

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Cruise Critic News & Feature Articles Up-to-the minute News & Feature Articles from Cruise Critic

Old January 26th, 2011, 02:10 PM
Sr. Manager, Community
Cruise Critic

Post Two More Cruise Lines Cancel Mazatlan Calls; Reports of Increased Violence to Blame

Cruise Critic has just posted the following news:

Two More Cruise Lines Cancel Mazatlan Calls; Reports of Increased Violence to Blame

Read the entire news article...

Old January 27th, 2011, 03:18 AM
Cool Cruiser

It's interesting. When Disney was the only one doing it, there were people out there calling them worriers, and worse. I've seen postings that were almost hostile toward them for "wimping out" and running.

Now that two other lines have done the same...I wonder if the same level of recrimination will fall upon them.

Good call on their part, though. Better safe than dealing with a security, and PR disaster.

Old January 27th, 2011, 01:05 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraS View Post
Cruise Critic has just posted the following news:

Two More Cruise Lines Cancel Mazatlan Calls; Reports of Increased Violence to Blame

Read the entire news article...
Princess and HAL are both owned by Carnival, so it was most likely one high level corporate decision rather than two more cruise lines independently deciding to pull out of Mazatlan.

• Inside Passage, Seattle to Haynes: Alaska Marine Hwy
    "M/V Columbia" June 1978
  • Yangtze River: China Regal "Princess Sheena" June 1996
  • Alaska: Celebrity "Infinity" September 2005
  • Riviera Mexicana: "Diamond Princess" January 2007
  • European Rivers: GCT "M/S River Symphony" October 2007
  • Upper Mississippi River: "American Queen" August 2007

• Rhone River France: GCT "M/S Chardonnay" April 2009
  • Seine River France: GCT "M/S Bizet" June 2009
  • Panama Canal: HAL "Oosterdam" November 2009
  • South America: NCL "Sun" January 2010
  • Riviera Mexicana: HAL "Oosterdam" February 2011
  • Boston to Quebec: NCL "Dawn" October 2012

Old January 27th, 2011, 07:42 PM
    Cool Cruiser

Manzanillo is no safer than Mazatlan right now. This is a silly arbitrary decision on the part of the cruiselines. Mazatlan is safe in the tourist areas.

Old January 27th, 2011, 07:59 PM
    Cool Cruiser

According to a statement by the Mazatlan Tourist board they are very disappointed that 3 incidents involving only property caused the lines to stop the port calls. Let's see - a honeymoon couple was killed in Antigua, a shore excursion bus in Nassau was robbed at gunpoint but you can still go there. There is no place where you are 100% safe. Even the supposedly secure neighborhood where I live has had driveway robberies and incidents of front doors being kicked in by armed intruders. This might be an opportunity to pick up an inexpensive land vacation in Mazatlan. That is exactly what we did when swine flu hit Mexico - got a steal of a deal at a 5 star resort on the Mayan Rivera.

Last edited by DebJ14; January 27th, 2011 at 08:00 PM.

Ad Sponsored By
    Old February 1st, 2011, 08:46 AM
    Cool Cruiser

We sail on the Carnival Spirit February 9th. Have an excursion scheduled in Mazatlan. Should I be worried? Or we're as safe here as any other foreign port?
    2000 Ocean Breeze
    2008 Carnival Freedom - Eastern Caribbean
    2010 Carnival Miracle - Western Caribbean
    2010 Carnival Glory - NYC to Canada
    2011 Carnival Spirit - Mexican Riviera
    2012 Carnival Valor - Exoctic Western Caribbean
    2013 Carnival Fascination - Key West and Bahamas
    2014 Carnival Miracle - 15 Day Hawaiin

Old February 1st, 2011, 11:14 PM
    Cool Cruiser

I should think you have no reason to worry. I was there last April, and it was beautiful. I don't believe the current affairs will put you in danger. We are sailing on the Spirit 2/25 and I look forward to getting of the ship in Mazatlan. probably take an open air taxi to the golden zone, and spend the day shopping and enjoying one of the fine resorts there for lunch and a swim. Go, get off the ship, have a good time and don't worrry.

12/10/2013 MSC Divina -YACHT CLUB- Caribbean
    1/2013 Carnival Splendor - Hawaii
    2/2012 Carnival Splendor Valentine's/Mexico
    12/2011 Grand Princess - B2B- Aruba and more
    4/2011 HAL Oosterdam - Mexixo
    2/2011 Carnival Spirit - Mexico
    12/2010 Golden Princess - Hawaii
    2/2010 Royal Caribbean Raidance of the Seas-Mexico
    12/2009 Carnival Valor - Western Caribbean
    12/2008 NCL Star - Mexico
    12/2006 NCL Star - Mexico
    12/2005 NCL Star - Mexico

Old February 2nd, 2011, 06:26 AM
    50,000+ Club

Have been following this -- really tough call -- should we or shouldn't we go to Mazatlan? As said -- there is just as much crime in the Caribbean and the cruise lines aren't stopping to go to those ports.

Old February 2nd, 2011, 01:42 PM
    Cool Cruiser

Default Re: brand new to this web site

Hi everyone. My husband & I have cruised only 2 times & with Princess cruise lines. We are so brand new to this site.. I want to do this correctly. We are senior citizens just learning this last December how wonderful it is to cruise for the first time without the kids. Our kids are all grown and one son has two grown kids, now married. It was glorious. We sailed on the Ruby Princess. We have just confirmed a cruise out of Ft. Lauderdale, sailing Dec. 17, 2011 to the Southern Carribean. This will only be our 3rd. cruise. We will sail out on the Grand Princess. Does anyone have any information or suggestions?

One port is Aruba so would appreciate some information. All I know is what terrible coverage we have heard the last couple of years on TV. Is it worth getting off the boat that day? We would appreciate any information or suggestions from all you very experienced 'sailors'. Nanny-Granny

Old February 2nd, 2011, 02:04 PM
    Cool Cruiser

we just returned from a Jan 15th sailing to MR including Mazatlan aboard the Sapphire Princess..evidently Princess cancelled the next weeks cruise stop in Mazatlan..
    My wife and I sailed with my 85 year old mother, 84 year old mother in law, 23 year old daughter, and 5 year old granddaughter. We had a private tour in Mazatlan with Mazatlan Frank. We saw no problems, and did not at any time feel threatened.
    The only police/military we saw was in the port, maybe 10 soldiers all eating breakfast by a small building.

Cruise Countdown Tickers

Old February 5th, 2011, 06:06 AM
    Cool Cruiser

Thank you so much Pekingese Lady. I'm glad to hear that because of all of our stops, this is the one I was most looking forward to take in some of the Mexican Culture. We will be getting off the ship and feel confident that we are as safe there as we can be anywhere else. Thanks again.
    2000 Ocean Breeze
    2008 Carnival Freedom - Eastern Caribbean
    2010 Carnival Miracle - Western Caribbean
    2010 Carnival Glory - NYC to Canada
    2011 Carnival Spirit - Mexican Riviera
    2012 Carnival Valor - Exoctic Western Caribbean
    2013 Carnival Fascination - Key West and Bahamas
    2014 Carnival Miracle - 15 Day Hawaiin

Old February 5th, 2011, 08:14 AM
    5,000+ Club

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DebJ14 View Post
    According to a statement by the Mazatlan Tourist board they are very disappointed that 3 incidents involving only property caused the lines to stop the port calls. Let's see - a honeymoon couple was killed in Antigua, a shore excursion bus in Nassau was robbed at gunpoint but you can still go there. There is no place where you are 100% safe. Even the supposedly secure neighborhood where I live has had driveway robberies and incidents of front doors being kicked in by armed intruders. This might be an opportunity to pick up an inexpensive land vacation in Mazatlan. That is exactly what we did when swine flu hit Mexico - got a steal of a deal at a 5 star resort on the Mayan Rivera.
    Just for the record - it is not all property damage. A Canadian was shot while walking down the street having been caught between to rival drug gangs.

The way everyone is talking on here one would think it was kids pranks. It isn't - it's the drug cartels and no one is safe.

CHARTER MEMBER MFPPP CLUB 2006
    PROUD CHARTER MEMBER OF THE NOOTS
    Proud member of F.R.E.D, Club, Fun, Relax, Eat, Drink

Cunard - various ships over many years,

Royal Caribbean
    Song of America, Grandeur of the Seas, Sovereign of the Seas, Serenade of the Seas, Brilliance of the Seas, Radiance of the Seas, Majesty of the Seas, Serenade of the Seas (second time), Adventure of the Seas, Mariner of the Seas, Brilliance of the Seas (second time), Independence of the Seas, Allure of the Seas, Radiance of the Seas (second time),Jewel of the Seas

Celebrity Infinity, Celebrity Millinneum, Celebrity Solstice, Celebrity Equinox, Celebrity Reflections

NCL Dreamward,

Princess Tahitian Princess, Emerald Princess

Carnival Triumph,

Uniworld River Dutchess

HAL Zuiderdam,

Azamara Journey

Upcoming: Celebrity Solstice, RCL Oasis and RCL Quantum

Old February 14th, 2011, 03:08 AM
    Cool Cruiser

Default Mazatlan

I for one know that I, nor my children, will not be getting off the ship in Mazatlan!! There are real cartel problems there. I hope HAL will avoid this port. Yes there have been property crimes. But a man was also SHOT, caught between drug wars!

Old August 10th, 2011, 04:23 PM
    Cool Cruiser

Angry Carnival cuts Mazatlan for 2011

We booked Carnival's 9 day on Spirit in November. Ports "were" Cabo for two nights, La Paz, Mazatlan and Puerto Vallarta. We received notice of an itinerary change giving the axe to Mazatlan due to the perceived increased risk in violence. Ports are now Manzanillo, PV, Cabo and (***?!!) Ensenada!

Mazatlan has a very nice secured area at the port with shops and eateries. Any risk that exists is outside that compound. It would seem that prudent advisories to clients/passengers is better than taking a port off the travel list especially when substituting it for one of lesser quality. In the instant case, keeping La Paz on the list in the warmer area of the Sea of Cortez is more intelligent that porting in Ensenada on the Pacific cold water side of the trip. Regardless of how Carnival tries to write up the "exciting" port of Ensenada is not a destination for the Riviera minded traveler.