Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Critic News & Feature Articles

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Cruise Critic News & Feature Articles Up-to-the minute News & Feature Articles from Cruise Critic

Old January 27th, 2011, 04:30 AM
Sr. Manager, Community
Cruise Critic

Post Some Work, All Play: Become a Crewmember for the Day on Costa Cruises

Cruise Critic has just posted the following news:

Some Work, All Play: Become a Crewmember for the Day on Costa Cruises

Read the entire news article...

Ad Sponsored By
Old January 27th, 2011, 11:13 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Great Idea !!

I would love to try this. If all the cruise lines would do this it would be great. I have experience in customer service, cash register work, and sales so purser's desk here I come. RCI are you ready??

Old January 27th, 2011, 11:30 AM
20,000+ Club

Wow, what happens when a crew member for the day meets up with a drunk rude passengers?

Old January 27th, 2011, 12:47 PM
Cool Cruiser

I'm not sure if I like this idea, or think it's stupid. It's interesting, that's for sure.

After all, I go on cruises to relax, and as much as I enjoy 'behind the scenes' exposure, I don't know if I want to actually do any work and/or put up with unhappy pax, even for a day.

I think it might be enjoyable to 'shadow' a crew member for a day, just to see areas of the ship normally forbidden to me, and to get a better idea of their circumstances, but I don't want to actually do any work. And the second a passenger got testy, I'd want to hit the road (before I hit the passenger).

Old January 27th, 2011, 05:41 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Maybe for college/high school students

I agree with the folks who say I am on a cruise to relax. However, both myself and friends have kids would have expressed interest in working on a cruise ship based on our trips. I think this would be a good way for them to try it out and see how they like it.

January 6 - 11 2014 Miranda's 21st Birthday party on the Carnival Inspiration!
January 7 - 10 2013 Courtney's 21st Birthday party on the Carnival
Christmas and New Years cruise to Hawaii Dec 2011 Golden Princess
RCCL to the Med May 24, 2010
DCL Taking the Magic to the Med - Orlando to Barcelona, Spain. May 12 - May 26, 2007
DCL Bringing the Magic Home - Los Angeles to Orlando via the Panama Canal Aug 20 to Sept 5, 2005
DCL 4 days cruising the Caribbean November 2003 and then a week at WDW

Old January 27th, 2011, 08:04 PM
Cool Cruiser

This sounds interesting! If I did this and worked the guest relations desk, at least for one day there would be someone who completely understands English working there!

Of course it sounds really interesting here on shore. Once I was onboard would think twice about giving up a day of crusing.

EJKorvette on the boards

Old January 27th, 2011, 10:28 PM
20,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJKorvette View Post
This sounds interesting! If I did this and worked the guest relations desk, at least for one day there would be someone who completely understands English working there!

Of course it sounds really interesting here on shore. Once I was onboard would think twice about giving up a day of crusing.

EJKorvette on the boards
EJ Korvette's! I was VP of ADmin at EJ Korvettes(the ej stands for eugene J Ferkauf. the Corvette with a C was a ship during WWII that he liked and was changed to a K with the name....)

and no its an Urban myth that it stands for Eight Jewish Korean war veterans(Kor-vets) as it was founded in 1948....

yes I know its ot

Last edited by smeyer418; January 27th, 2011 at 10:31 PM.

Old January 28th, 2011, 12:22 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

I would try it if I could be Captain for a day!

Seriously, are you kidding? Is this some dark scheme to get free labor for the line and charge them for the 'privilege' of doing it?
What a brilliant brainstorm for the corporate bean counters!
Next thing you know, they will 'qualify' repeat pasengers on certain tasks, and then instead of having crew enjoy being passengers, they will eliminate some crew from the cruise. I know I am being facetious, but could you imagine if they could volunteer staff an entire cruise with passengers paying to perform all crew functions? What would that do for the Profit and Loss ledger?

Old January 28th, 2011, 08:10 AM
Cool Cruiser

I would go for it, the way I see this is that it is a great experience and you get to see just how tough working with the ever more demanding public is really like.

Having done 15+ years in the tourism industry, I do know what it is like, but to those who cruise and have no idea what goes on behind the scenes, well its an excellent opportunity.

Oh and has already been said in the Costa section about this, I would LOVE for those passengers who constantly complain about every little thing to work the reception desk for a day and get some of their own medicine....poetic justice

Sadly my cruise is not on the roster for this chance, but if they repeat it and I am aboard, I will definitely volunteer

Old January 28th, 2011, 09:45 AM
Cool Cruiser

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by smeyer418 View Post
EJ Korvette's! I was VP of ADmin at EJ Korvettes(the ej stands for eugene J Ferkauf. the Corvette with a C was a ship during WWII that he liked and was changed to a K with the name....)

and no its an Urban myth that it stands for Eight Jewish Korean war veterans(Kor-vets) as it was founded in 1948....

yes I know its ot
I used to shop at the Korvette's at either Flushing (near the library) or where the Cross Island Parkway meets Union Turnpike.

I have used EJKorvette as my online nick since 1996. My first two initials are E and J.

EJKorvette on the boards

Old January 28th, 2011, 07:26 PM
20,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJKorvette View Post
I used to shop at the Korvette's at either Flushing (near the library) or where the Cross Island Parkway meets Union Turnpike.

I have used EJKorvette as my online nick since 1996. My first two initials are E and J.

EJKorvette on the boards

LOL I have along story on both the stores...which I did the closing of and sold to Gertz department stores or back to Banker's Trust....(you can see how old this is....probably no one but you me ever heard of both)...you can email me at smeyer418@yahoo.com if you want to hear them...

Old January 29th, 2011, 10:59 AM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by smeyer418 View Post
LOL I have along story on both the stores...which I did the closing of and sold to Gertz department stores or back to Banker's Trust....(you can see how old this is....probably no one but you me ever heard of both)...you can email me at smeyer418@yahoo.com if you want to hear them...
I even remember several items that I bought at EJ Korvettes.

Last edited by iheartbda; January 29th, 2011 at 10:59 AM.

Old January 29th, 2011, 03:49 PM
Cool Cruiser

Is this some kind of joke? After paying good money for a relaxing cruise, if a problem did arise that I needed to seek assistance with from the line, the last person I would want to deal with would be the "trainee" for the day.

This is ridiculous!

Old January 29th, 2011, 03:52 PM
20,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalex63 View Post
Is this some kind of joke? After paying good money for a relaxing cruise, if a problem did arise that I needed to seek assistance with from the line, the last person I would want to deal with would be the "trainee" for the day.

This is ridiculous!
Don't worry, given the scenario you just described, I'll bet you are the last person that "trainee for the day" would want to deal with.