Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Carnival Cruise Lines

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Carnival Cruise Lines
- Read thousands of Carnival Cruise Reviews
- Compare the best Carnival Cruise Deals
- Write a Carnival Review
- Find Your CARNIVAL Roll Call
See posts about:
Carnival Breeze
Carnival Elation
Carnival Glory
Carnival Liberty
Carnival Paradise
Carnival Splendor

Carnival Conquest
Carnival Fantasy
Carnival Imagination
Carnival Magic
Carnival Pride
Carnival Sunshine

Carnival Dream
Carnival Fascination
Carnival Inspiration
Carnival Sensation
Carnival Triumph
Carnival Valor

Carnival Ecstasy
Carnival Freedom
Carnival Legend
Carnival Miracle
Carnival Spirit
Carnival Victory

Old January 29th, 2011, 05:00 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default elegant night pictures of families who did NOT dress to the nines!

A bit of a strange request....but my DH and I have only cruised with Princess, and HE (amazingly, not ME) is agonizing over what to wear on elegant nights - we really do love eating in the MDR, so the buffet at dinner isn't something we're looking for, but as we're travelling this time (first time!) with our 3 children (21, 16, 14) we're really trying to pack light and don't men's shoes take up more room than anything!!! I'm trying to convince him that he does NOT need to take a pair of dress black shoes that would only be used in the dining room - if he had nice navy blue, or khaki, or tan pants, couldn't he use his loafers that he can use for walking around during the day? The same goes for my 21 year old son who NEVER dresses up (church is CLEAN jeans, and a t-shirt, and sneakers) - he also has a mobility problem, so usually finds it much easier (and safer) to wear his good running shoes (they're not white tennies or anything like that). So if any of you have taken pictures of your family on elegant night without dressing up a lot, I'd love to see your pictures, so I can give DH a visual of what makes it past the fashion police at the MDR door! Thanks so much!

Emerald Princess, 2007, Mediterranean
Sapphire Princess, 2009, Alaska
Crown Princess, 2010, European Explorer ( for my review, see http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showt...xplorer+review)
Carnival Dream, 2011, Western Caribbean
Carnival Breeze, 2012-13, New Years Cruise, Eastern Caribbean (see my review at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1765429)
Grand Princess 2013, California Coastal (my long review at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1926481)
Royal Princess Russia/Scandanavia 2014 (my typically long review is at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2073549)

Old January 29th, 2011, 05:12 PM
Cool Cruiser

Oh thank goodness!! From your title I thought you were going to post pictures of other people in the MDR that you considered underdressed
From the sound of it your husband and son should be fine. Hope you get pics to show them!!

Ann

Miracle 2004
Triumph 2006
Glory 2007
Victory 2008
Legend 2009
Dream 2010
Liberty 2011
Miracle 2012
Breeze 2013
Conquest 2014

I'M GROWING OLDER BUT NOT UP!
Jimmy Buffett

GOTTA GET AWAY TO WHERE THE BOAT LEAVES FROM!
Zac Brown Band

THE OCEAN IS MY ONLY MEDICATION...WISHING MY CONDITION AIN'T EVER GONNA GO AWAY...
Zac and Jimmy

HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!!

Old January 29th, 2011, 05:47 PM
Cool Cruiser

I had my grandsons wear, nice New Polo shirts and Nice Pants (school uniform pants) and thier new Black Sneakers (unless you really looked at thier feet you would not know).

They were more dressed up than most kids on the ship.

Next Cruises

Planning - Carnival Triumph Oct 24 and Nov 4th! Back to back to and from San Juan!

Past Cruises

Carnival Elation 4/04
Carnival Conquest 5/1/05
USS Nimitz tiger(family members) Cruise 11/3/05 From Pearl Harbor to San Diego!! My Daughter was in the Navy!(my favorite cruise of all)
Carnival Ecstasy 9/08 (3day cruise to Nowhere)
Carnival Conquest 4/09
Carnival Fantasy 8/17/2009 (with grandsons)
Carnival Triumph, 1/3/11
Carnival Magic Transatlantic, 10/28/11
Carnival Breeze March 16,2013
Carnival Triumph 9/9/13
Carnival Magic 9/15/13 Platinum!!!
Carnival Elation 9/6/14
Carnival Dream 9/14/14

Old January 29th, 2011, 05:57 PM
Cool Cruiser

Grandsons on Formal night! This was after dinner and they got a little less tucked in!!

Next Cruises

Planning - Carnival Triumph Oct 24 and Nov 4th! Back to back to and from San Juan!

Past Cruises

Carnival Elation 4/04
Carnival Conquest 5/1/05
USS Nimitz tiger(family members) Cruise 11/3/05 From Pearl Harbor to San Diego!! My Daughter was in the Navy!(my favorite cruise of all)
Carnival Ecstasy 9/08 (3day cruise to Nowhere)
Carnival Conquest 4/09
Carnival Fantasy 8/17/2009 (with grandsons)
Carnival Triumph, 1/3/11
Carnival Magic Transatlantic, 10/28/11
Carnival Breeze March 16,2013
Carnival Triumph 9/9/13
Carnival Magic 9/15/13 Platinum!!!
Carnival Elation 9/6/14
Carnival Dream 9/14/14

Old January 29th, 2011, 06:17 PM
Cool Cruiser

oh! I looked at my post again, and realized it DOES look different than what I meant! I SHOULD have said "WANTED: pics .......

And LoriTX, you have wonderful grandchildren - they look perfect! And that's just the kind of thing I wanted to see. Thank you so much.

Emerald Princess, 2007, Mediterranean
Sapphire Princess, 2009, Alaska
Crown Princess, 2010, European Explorer ( for my review, see http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showt...xplorer+review)
Carnival Dream, 2011, Western Caribbean
Carnival Breeze, 2012-13, New Years Cruise, Eastern Caribbean (see my review at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1765429)
Grand Princess 2013, California Coastal (my long review at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1926481)
Royal Princess Russia/Scandanavia 2014 (my typically long review is at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2073549)

Ad Sponsored By
Old January 29th, 2011, 06:29 PM
Cool Cruiser

I saw a pic from a couple in the MDR on elegant night (conquest 1/16/11 sailing) where the fellow was wearing denim overalls and a grin. If he made it past the fashion police, Im sure your hubby will! On the second elegant night my hunny wore khakis and a button down shirt (cannot remember the shoes, but Im sure they were not the dress shoes).

Old January 29th, 2011, 07:45 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default sneakers

my boyfriend forgot to pack his dress shoes on our last cruise, so he wore his sneakers with his suit

Victory Review with pictures! 3/6/11-3/13/11
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1379222&highlight=

Old January 29th, 2011, 08:04 PM
5,000+ Club

I have noted before that 1) the MRD is usually packed as people are coming in and 2) a bit dim. Best I can tell you could be barefoot and nobody would notice. I really would not worry about what is on anyones feet. And a collared shirt of any sort and pants a half step up from jeans will put any male into the norm even on elegant night.

Old January 29th, 2011, 08:14 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Be Comfortable

wear what you are comfortable with. You don't have to dress to the Nines just b/c it is elegant night. I am not saying bust out the wife beater and ripped up shorts. But I always crack up when people get offended and say just b/s someone is not dressed to their liking for that particular day that it just Ruins their dinner. My wife and I do not dress bummy by all means but on a longer cruise especially by the time the 2nd formal night rolls around we are way more casual than when we started.

so go with what you are comfortable wearing and ENJOY!

Completed Cruises
Soverign of the Seas 10/07 Bahamas 1st Cruise
Soverign of the Seas 2/08 Bahamas
Carnival Glory 11/08 Western Caribbean
Monarch of the Seas 2/09 Bahamas
Carnival Glory 11/09 Western Caribbean
Monarch of the Seas 1/10 Bahamas
Carnival Fascination 5/10 Bahamas
Carnival Freedom 11/10 Eastern Caribbean
Carnival Fascination 1/11 Bahamas
Carnival Fascination 5/11 Bahamas
Carnival Legend 11/11 Western Caribbean
Carnival Valor 6/12 Western Caribbean
Carnival Valor 11/12 Eastern Caribbean
Carnival Sensation 04/13 (Platinum) Bahamas
Carnival Fascination 07/13 Bahamas
Carnival Dream 11/13 Western Caribbean
Enchantment of the Seas 1/14 Bahamas
Carnival Conquest 5/14 (10th Anniversary Celebration) Eastern Caribbean
Carnival Sensation 6/14 (Father/Son Cruise) Bahamas

Carnival Valor 11/14 Southern Caribbean

Old January 29th, 2011, 09:45 PM
Cool Cruiser

Please share your not so dressed up elegant night photos! I woud love to see them because I really don't want to glam it up on elegant night! LOL

Thanks!!!

Old January 29th, 2011, 09:59 PM
Cool Cruiser

We sat beside a couple on Elegant night two weeks ago who said they didn't get the Fun Times that day and didn't know it was Elegant Night. She had on shorts and a nice shirt and a fancy necklace. He had on khaki shorts, sandals and a short sleeve shirt.

We saw a man in a shirt with cut off sleeves one night.

What you described sounds just fine!

I will say that my husband did not want to bring his black shoes and I refused to let him wear his brown shoes with his nice black suit so I crammed them in the suit case. Well he got chosen to be Frank Sinatra in the Legends show and I told him "Aren't you glad I made you bring those shoes!" Once he had them, he seemed to wear them a lot. All that said though...your DH will be fine with his brown ones!

Old January 29th, 2011, 09:59 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by nytonowhere View Post
my boyfriend forgot to pack his dress shoes on our last cruise, so he wore his sneakers with his suit
OMG...I read this and laughed so hard that i spit Tea all over the computer screen....lol Thanks for the great laugh, I needed that today!!!

Old January 29th, 2011, 10:14 PM
Cool Cruiser

My younger daughter and I wore dresses and my DH wore a shirt & tie, slacks and nice brown shoes. My disabled daughter who uses a wheelchair full time wore a nice black shirt (lacy) and dark pants. My son wore jeans. and a button down shirt! I told him to walk closely behind his sister's WC so he wouldn't be noticed. Once we were in the MDR, I noticed LOTS of people not so elegantly/formally dressed! Other jeans, t-shirts, etc. Most people were in dressy church style clothes and a few in formal wear!

Old January 29th, 2011, 10:15 PM
Cool Cruiser

as long as you were jeans you're fine. you don't even need a shirt! these folks made it past the fashion police just fine! no shirt, no shoes.. no problem! :-)

Last edited by gardn198; January 29th, 2011 at 10:16 PM.

Old January 29th, 2011, 10:16 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerCruiser View Post
But I always crack up when people get offended and say just b/s someone is not dressed to their liking for that particular day that it just Ruins their dinner.
I am so there with you - on our Fantasy cruise out of NOLA a few years ago, we opted to dress a little less formally for dinner than a woman at a table about 10 feet away from us would have liked...She complained, pointed, called the maitre d' over and complained, began fanning herself as if she was going to pass out...All the while screeching that is was FORMAL NIGHT !@#@!# !@#@! it! It was hilarious - her tablemates were mortified, my tablemates all sent her various cocktails which only made her more hysterical when we would wave when they were delivered...

I think you will find great leniency in the rules of dress for formal night - khakis and button downs with a jacket and loafers is fine. So are tuxedos. Lots to choose from - have fun

Old January 29th, 2011, 10:18 PM
5,000+ Club

This one is ALWAYS my all time favorite pic....

TAPI

Our cruise aboard: Allure of the Seas
Our cruise aboard: Carnival Dream
Our Alaska cruise aboard: Westerdam
Legoland and the Bahamas aboard:Enchantment of the Seas

SAILED:
1981 Cunard Princess / 1982 Cunard Countess / 1984 The Victoria / 1991 Carla Costa / 1993 Monarch of the Seas / 1994 Tropicale / 1996 Royal Majesty / 1998 Viking Serenade / 1999 Dolphin IV / 2000 OceanBreeze / 2000 Carnival Destiny / 2003 Carnival Fascination / 2004 Empress of the Seas / 2005 Carnival Fascination / 2005 Carnival Liberty / 2006 Carnival Imagination / 2006 Carnival Fascination / 2007 Carnival Sensation / 2007 Holiday / 2008 Carnival Liberty / 2009 Carnival Imagination / 2010 Carnival Fascination / 2011 Allure of the Seas / 2011 Carnival Dream / 2013 Westerdam / 2014 Enchantment of the Seas / 2014 Golden Princess

NEXT:

2016 Disney Magic- WESTERN CARIBBEAN

Old January 29th, 2011, 10:24 PM
10,000+ Club

DH only brings one pair of shoes--either dark brown or black leather Keen laceups.

Last edited by SadieN; January 29th, 2011 at 10:24 PM.

Old January 29th, 2011, 11:33 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenoser2 View Post
A bit of a strange request....but my DH and I have only cruised with Princess, and HE (amazingly, not ME) is agonizing over what to wear on elegant nights - we really do love eating in the MDR, so the buffet at dinner isn't something we're looking for, but as we're travelling this time (first time!) with our 3 children (21, 16, 14) we're really trying to pack light and don't men's shoes take up more room than anything!!! I'm trying to convince him that he does NOT need to take a pair of dress black shoes that would only be used in the dining room - if he had nice navy blue, or khaki, or tan pants, couldn't he use his loafers that he can use for walking around during the day? The same goes for my 21 year old son who NEVER dresses up (church is CLEAN jeans, and a t-shirt, and sneakers) - he also has a mobility problem, so usually finds it much easier (and safer) to wear his good running shoes (they're not white tennies or anything like that). So if any of you have taken pictures of your family on elegant night without dressing up a lot, I'd love to see your pictures, so I can give DH a visual of what makes it past the fashion police at the MDR door! Thanks so much!
Loafers will be fine! After repacking my suitcases at the airport counter in San Juan trying to rearrange things to get them underweight, I ended up carrying all the heavy stuff in my carryon, that is, all the heavy things we were allowed to carry, my husband is not bringing his dress shoes this time, unless HE will carry them home!
Adventure of the Seas Jan 13 2013
Victory Feb 2011
Victory Jan 2009
Voyager of the Seas Feb 3rd 2007
Holiday Jan 5th 2002

Old January 30th, 2011, 08:19 AM
Cool Cruiser

All one needs to know is if your bar of dress is above the lines bar of dress.

You just must realize the closer you are to it, the lower you are in the scale of fashion.

Not all are elligible for the red carpet. Some like to stand behind the tape.

It's all how you see yourself.

Old January 30th, 2011, 11:15 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by booboo925 View Post
I am so there with you - on our Fantasy cruise out of NOLA a few years ago, we opted to dress a little less formally for dinner than a woman at a table about 10 feet away from us would have liked...She complained, pointed, called the maitre d' over and complained, began fanning herself as if she was going to pass out...All the while screeching that is was FORMAL NIGHT !@#@!# !@#@! it! It was hilarious - her tablemates were mortified, my tablemates all sent her various cocktails which only made her more hysterical when we would wave when they were delivered...

I think you will find great leniency in the rules of dress for formal night - khakis and button downs with a jacket and loafers is fine. So are tuxedos. Lots to choose from - have fun
LOL - thanks for the laugh - hilarious - I'm surprised she didn't get removed from the MDR.