Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "P - Z" > Royal Caribbean International

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Royal Caribbean International
NEW! Find Your ROYAL CARIBBEAN Roll Call

Old February 6th, 2011, 09:21 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default latex allergy

I have traveled in the past with a latex allergy however it has gotten worse. I love to cruise, and I am just wondering if all ships serve kiwi on board. Kiwi is a latex based fruit and deadly for those with latex allergies. I want to go on another cruise but need to find a RCCL ship without kiwi, or balloons. My allergy is air bourne so just being in the area of latex based fruits is enough to go into shock.

Freedom of the Seas 1/07/07 Western Caribbean cabin 1700 Deck 10 Aft Ken Rush CD

Voyager of the Seas Jan 2004

Enchantment of the Seas Jan 2003
Mark Walker CD

Last edited by mercuryfan; February 6th, 2011 at 09:33 AM. Reason: added info

Old February 6th, 2011, 09:30 AM
10,000+ Club

I have seen kiwi here and there. Can't remember which ships.

Old February 6th, 2011, 09:36 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default travel with epi-pen

Have you ever traveled with allergies that require an epi-pen? Any suggestions?

Freedom of the Seas 1/07/07 Western Caribbean cabin 1700 Deck 10 Aft Ken Rush CD

Voyager of the Seas Jan 2004

Enchantment of the Seas Jan 2003
Mark Walker CD

Old February 6th, 2011, 09:53 AM
Cool Cruiser

We've been on 8 RC ships and I'm pretty sure I've seen kiwi fruit in various forms on all of the ships. Sometimes balloons too. Plus, I wonder if some of the junk passengers hang on their doors might contain latex too?
Good Luck!
Sherri

Old February 6th, 2011, 10:55 AM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercuryfan View Post
My allergy is air bourne so just being in the area of latex based fruits is enough to go into shock.
Oh my goodness, so sorry to hear this. Well, kiwi is a more expensive fruit - RCI mostly offers melon (cantelope, honeydew, watermelon), and whole fruits at the buffet such as apples, oranges, and bananas. I have seen kiwi offered as a garnish on some desserts in the main dining room, and I may have seen it in a fruit trifle (not certain, though).

I know you will take the necessary precautions and I hope you can still enjoy cruising in the future.

Up next:
RCI - Explorer of the Seas 2014
RCI - Serenade of the Seas 2015 - a planned family vacation if son is not in medical school this year

Already Cruised - listed not to brag, but so you can ask me a question if you'd like:

Princess - Grand Princess May 2014 Pacific Coastal
RCI - Serenade of the Seas March 2014 - B2B W. Caribbean

RCI - Serenade of the Seas Feb 2014 - Bahamas - a celebration cruise indeed!
*RCI Scandinavia 2013 - 30th Anniversary cruise! - nope - cancelled due to my illness. ~ Maybe next year, God willing.
RCI - Jewel of the Seas Nov 2012 - B2B Mexico
RCI - Jewel of the Seas Repo cruise Oct/Nov 2012 Boston to Tampa - Hurricane Sandy
RCI - Brilliance of the Seas June/July 2011 Mediterranean
RCI - Mariner of the Seas Oct/Nov 2010 Mexico
RCI - Oasis of the Seas May 2010 E. Caribbean - 4 adults in one cabin; we did it!
Princess - Emerald Princess April 2009 E. Caribbean
RCI - Explorer of the Seas Sept/Oct 2008 - 25th anniversary! Canada - Hurricane Kyle
RCI - Liberty of the Seas August 2007 E.Caribbean - Hurricane Dean - 4 adults in one cabin; we did it!
RCI - Explorer of the Seas April 2006 E.Caribbean
RCI - Vision of the Seas Aug 2003 Alaska
HAL - Rotterdam - last leg of her final world cruise ever April 1995 Pacific Northwest
RCI - Viking Serenade Aug 1993 Mexico

Ad Sponsored By
Old February 6th, 2011, 10:58 AM
Cool Cruiser

There is definitely kiwi in one of the fruit medley appetizers one night in the MDR. It also shows up periodically on desserts in the Windjammer.

You call contact the RC's Special Needs department to inquire if there is anyway to accommodate your needs: special_needs@rccl.com

Old February 6th, 2011, 11:09 AM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Yes, I always travel with an epi-pen. If your allergies are severe, I would bring two, just in case. Also bring plenty of Benadryl. Have you ever had a reaction from allergens in the air? I don't expect it would be nearly as severe as ingesting any amount of the substance. I would probably avoid all prepared fruits (eg only eat an apple that you can wash yourself).

I always tell the waiter I am allergic (to peanuts). If I am served something and it even looks like it still might have peanuts in it, I don't eat it. If I go to someone's party, I often do not eat many/any of the desserts because some people think that 'peanuts' does not equal 'peanut butter'

There are lots of people here who post about severe allergies. Try putting 'peanuts' or 'allergies' in the search bar upper right corner and see what comes up.

btw there are balloons on the ships as well.

Last edited by marci22; February 6th, 2011 at 11:23 AM.

Old February 6th, 2011, 11:31 AM
10,000+ Club

Also: Anyone known to be at risk for anaphylaxis should wear a Medic-Alert bracelet that clearly states the allergic trigger, the risk of anaphylaxis, and the availability of an epinephrine kit.

Old February 6th, 2011, 11:57 AM
5,000+ Club

While they do use kiwi as a garnish in many dishes and desserts, I'd be more afraid of the latex gloves worn by the workers in the WJ as well as the food preparers. That's a really tough allergery to have.

Old February 6th, 2011, 12:05 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerif View Post
While they do use kiwi as a garnish in many dishes and desserts, I'd be more afraid of the latex gloves worn by the workers in the WJ as well as the food preparers. That's a really tough allergery to have.
That was exactly what I was going to say! We are just off Monarch on Friday and I saw stateroom attendents, windjammer staff, maintenance people and many many other RC staffers wearing gloves, now they may or may not have been latex, but thats just not a chance I'd be willing to take with my life! I think you'd be hard pressed to find any kind of vacation spot these days where workers aren't using gloves. I work at Boston Market and we have latex gloves for handling raw foods...so basically everything gets touched with latex.
Royal Caribbean - Navigator of the Seas - February 2012

Future Cruises

Old February 6th, 2011, 12:38 PM
Cool Cruiser

I think I remember kiwi also being in the fruit plates we've had from room service for breakfast in the mornings so it is definately around. In this case is asking them to leave it off enough? I'm not familiar enough with these allergies to know.

Old February 6th, 2011, 01:03 PM
10,000+ Club

There is latex in the rubber of most underwear items including underpants and bras. I have a latex contact reaction but only in certain circumstances which I will not go into.

Surgically speaking, anyone with a latex allergy is operated on in the same room where latex has been used. They are scheduled as first surgeries of the day before the latex dust has been popped into the air from the latex gloves used by most surgeons. The do the vinyl only surgeries first.

Kiwi is not going to put particles into the air so it's unlikely you will have a problem being on the same ship with them. Almost any room you walk into, including every store you shop at, will have latex in some form. You just can't touch it or breath in actual particles which don't just jump into the air. Even band-aids are labeled as to whether or not they contain latex even in the packaging.

Mangoes and Spandex are also related to this allergy. I can eat a mango but not touch the skin. I wear jeans that are 100% cotton whenever possible or my legs turn red and feel like scales for a couple of weeks from the rubbing of the small amount of spandex in stretch jeans.

You do what you have to do or you live in a bubble. You can't expect the ship to ban kiwi fruit. Just ask them to not put it on your plate. Bring what you need just in case. Go on your cruise just as you walk into a store.

Gina

Old February 6th, 2011, 02:03 PM
Cool Cruiser

I am a nurse, and most hospital gloves in my area are now latex free...I dont know about food service gloves, although most of them look like vinyl (they look loose on the servers hands..because they dont contain that elastic material)
Kiwi has been in my fruit and on my desserts in the past...but not recently.

Yes, it is a difficult allergy..bring your epi pen...and I would make the medical staff aware of your allergy..just in case of emergency.

7 days on Carnival
3 days on The Big Red Boat

. Diamond Plus

Old February 6th, 2011, 02:11 PM
10,000+ Club

If someone is truly anaphylactic and extremely sensitive to common items, I don't think a cruise ship is the best place to be. The problem is, some severe reactions cannot be controlled with an epi-pen. In that case, the person would have to be hospitalized. On a land vacation, that's not too much of a problem; if you are 1000 miles out at sea, it could be bad. Only the individual knows how serious their condition is.

Old February 6th, 2011, 03:04 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by marci22 View Post
If someone is truly anaphylactic and extremely sensitive to common items, I don't think a cruise ship is the best place to be. The problem is, some severe reactions cannot be controlled with an epi-pen. In that case, the person would have to be hospitalized. On a land vacation, that's not too much of a problem; if you are 1000 miles out at sea, it could be bad. Only the individual knows how serious their condition is.
Probably not. There's no place like home.

Gina

Old February 6th, 2011, 03:11 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
My wife does have a severe latex allergy that causes her to carry an epi pen and a portable breathing treatment machine and inhalers. We cruise all the time on all the different lines and she has never had any trouble or attacks. She is very careful what she eats and asks the staff before she eats it. She always informs our waiters in the MDR of her allergy. Just be careful and ask and if you don't feel comfortable leave it alone. The only draw back to cruising we have is that we will may never be able to do a new years eve cruise because of all the balloons that are dropped and subsequently popped at midnight.

Old February 6th, 2011, 03:59 PM
40,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommabean View Post
There is latex in the rubber of most underwear items including underpants and bras. I have a latex contact reaction but only in certain circumstances which I will not go into.

Gina
And for this we are grateful, Gina.

Old February 6th, 2011, 04:32 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merion_Mom View Post
And for this we are grateful, Gina.
LOL.....I guess you know then.

Gina

Old February 6th, 2011, 05:14 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
I have traveled in the past with a latex allergy however it has gotten worse. I love to cruise, and I am just wondering if all ships serve kiwi on board. Kiwi is a latex based fruit and deadly for those with latex allergies. I want to go on another cruise but need to find a RCCL ship without kiwi, or balloons. My allergy is air bourne so just being in the area of latex based fruits is enough to go into shock.
You truly learn new things every day on here. I've been a nurse for over 15 years and never knew that the latex allergy extended to kiwis. Good to know. Thanks for the information and I hope your allergy won't prevent you from cruising!

Old February 6th, 2011, 06:17 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnBikerFallDown View Post
You truly learn new things every day on here. I've been a nurse for over 15 years and never knew that the latex allergy extended to kiwis. Good to know. Thanks for the information and I hope your allergy won't prevent you from cruising!
I knew about bananas and kiwis but there are other foods as well. Everyone reacts differently. I'm highly allergic to some of the foods in that group, but I'm not allergic to latex.

"Latex allergies may also cross over into food groups. Or if you are already allergic to certain foods, you may be at high risk for developing a latex allergy.
The following foods can trigger a latex-like allergic reaction because the proteins in them mimic latex proteins as they break down in the body:

Banana fig kiwi peach grape celery papaya tomato nectarine avocado melon potato cherry rye strawberry wheat plum chestnut pineapple hazelnut"
http://www.webmd.com/allergies/guide...lergies?page=3