Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Oceania Cruises

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Oceania Cruises
Go to the Oceania Roll Call Forums

Old February 7th, 2011, 11:43 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Default Concierge Class

I'm certain that someone has answered this question already, but here goes:

Are there benefits to Concierge Class other than those listed on the website or in the cruise atlas? For example, are you more likely to easily get additional specialty restaurant reservations?

We are trying to decide if the additional expense is worth it. I understand that it is a personal decision, but if those who have sailed in this class before could relate why they feel the service is valuable, it would help.

You can always count on cc members to provide the answers!

Ricki

Old February 7th, 2011, 11:53 PM
20,000+ Club

Default Jmo

We have had extra reservations on the R-ships and we usually are in the lower Cat cabins
It is the luck of the draw... depending on how many seats are available & how many ask for that night

The Marina is a whole new ball game

Lyn

Last edited by LHT28; February 7th, 2011 at 11:54 PM.

Old February 7th, 2011, 11:58 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHT28 View Post
We have had extra reservations on the R-ships and we usually are in the lower Cat cabins
It is the luck of the draw... depending on how many seats are available & how many ask for that night

The Marina is a whole new ball game

Lyn
I think you may have meant to post this on another thread.

Ricki

Old February 8th, 2011, 12:17 AM
5,000+ Club

Concierge class gives you extra reservations on the R ships only, not on the Marina. On the Marina only the suites get extra reservations, on R ships concierge and above get them.

Old February 8th, 2011, 03:04 AM
20,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricki View Post
I think you may have meant to post this on another thread.

Ricki
HMMMM I don't think so
You asked if there were any benefits to concierge class ...like getting extra reservations
You may or may not get extra seatings just like those in the lower cabin Cat
Alexandr Pushkin, Carnival-Holiday, HAL-(old)Westerdam, Royal Epirotiki-Olympic, Orient lines-Marco Polo, NCL-Dream, Princess - Dawn Princess, ACCL-Grande Caribe, St Lawrence Cruise Lines-Canadian Empress, Scenic Tours -Scenic Sapphire, Oceania-Insignia (3), Regatta(4) Marina(1) Riveria (1) AQSC-American Queen

FUTURE CRUISE(S)

Email:LHT28 yahoo com
Put Cruise in subject line

PHOTOS:
http://lht28.smugmug.com/

Last edited by LHT28; February 8th, 2011 at 03:09 AM.

Ad Sponsored By
Old February 8th, 2011, 08:19 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHT28 View Post
HMMMM I don't think so
You asked if there were any benefits to concierge class ...like getting extra reservations
You may or may not get extra seatings just like those in the lower cabin Cat

I'm sorry, I misread your post. My apologies--and thank you for your response.

Ricki

Old February 8th, 2011, 08:52 AM
Cool Cruiser

On R class ships the price delta has gone down since they made the last changes (free water and soda's for all).

There is some benefit of having the concierge as we found out in our last cruise. We used Diego to get our large group on the first tender out for a private tour.

Also the location of the rooms (if it matters) -- Balconies are Deck 6 and Concierge are on Deck 7.

Old February 8th, 2011, 02:32 PM
Cool Cruiser

Concierge also gets upgraded bathroom supplies! Bugari for concierge and suites, no name for the rest.

Old February 8th, 2011, 03:45 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default concierge vs verandah only

We've sailed in verandah, concierge and penthouse suites on Oceania; considering that Marina has altered the equation a little re room size and the lounge, it might just depend on a mix of economics, how much time you may spend in the room and what services you want. Of course, Penthouse was great (on Regatta, so the added room was very nice); we found the best benefit was the option to eat in our suite from any of the specialty restaurants. the bathroom space was also useful and appreciated.

Re Concierge, we didn't notice that much difference between it and a similar Verandah suite on the smaller ships, although the Marina has the new lounge. All of our Oceania cruises have been very port intensive (not news to any other vets, that's why many say they choose the line), so as long as the room is quiet, serviced (which all have been) and functional, we are fine.

Long story short, the dramatic difference is between the concierge and penthouse. if you can stand the price point, do it, especially if it is an anniversary, special occasion or you want to live like royalty for a week or two. On Marina, the concierge class gets you on the ship a little more quickly, you have a lounge and some minor improvements to the accoutrement in the room. if that isn't important, go with the Verandah and save some $$ for port time. If it is, go with Concierge and enjoy the perks.
Have fun in any case. Regards, Bob H

Old February 8th, 2011, 06:02 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Thank you, everyone, for responding. It's always helpful to get another cruiser's point of view, especially since this will be our first Oceania cruise. We're branching out from Crystal.

Ricki

Last edited by ricki; February 8th, 2011 at 06:03 PM.

Old February 8th, 2011, 07:10 PM
Cool Cruiser

The Concierge Lounge is mentioned in the materials you have for the Marina, but for a first-person account on the new ship, there is this: tak2, who reported from the Marina this past week, described the Concierge Lounge as having a 32" TV, a coffee machine, two wireless computers, comfortable sofa or sofas, fridge with soft drinks and yoghurt, and best of all, a "very capable concierge" who looks after all the concierge level guests.

Old February 8th, 2011, 07:38 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thanks to ColonelWes' post which linked to more Marina news, I found a photo of the Concierge, Samantha, at work in the Concierge Lounge:

Old February 8th, 2011, 08:43 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceans&Rivers View Post
Concierge Lounge as having a 32" TV, a coffee machine, two wireless computers, comfortable sofa or sofas, fridge with soft drinks and yoghurt,
Just to add, this description fits the Executive lounge as well. Very comfortable place to hang out. There were also cookies and light sandwiches (slider size) available.
I found having the two computers so close to the cabin a treat. Depending on the hour the internet connection was not bad. The concierge was available during the stated hours but seemed to have specified duties not connected to the lounge.

Old February 8th, 2011, 10:58 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Thank you, Oceans & Rivers, I did see the posts by tak2, and thank you, too Raffeer. By the way, what is the Executive Lounge. Forgive the questions, we are new to Oceania.

We are still debating whether the Concierge Class offers enough to make the $ difference from a regular veranda worthwhile.

Ricki

Last edited by ricki; February 8th, 2011 at 10:59 PM.

Old February 8th, 2011, 11:12 PM
20,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricki View Post
By the way, what is the Executive Lounge. Forgive the questions, we are new to Oceania.

Ricki
for Suite & PH passengers

Old February 9th, 2011, 12:48 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceans&Rivers View Post
The Concierge Lounge is mentioned in the materials you have for the Marina, but for a first-person account on the new ship, there is this: tak2, who reported from the Marina this past week, described the Concierge Lounge as having a 32" TV, a coffee machine, two wireless computers, comfortable sofa or sofas, fridge with soft drinks and yoghurt, and best of all, a "very capable concierge" who looks after all the concierge level guests.
I forgot to mention that Concierge lounge also has small sandwiches, cookies until a certain time of the day, plus pastry in the morning. In other words, it offers a light continental breakfast on decks 9 and 11( executive lounge) Magazine rack was empty during maiden voyage, waiting for arrival in Miami to stock up. It is a great gathering place since it is just down the hall from the staterooms ( for deck 9 and 11 passengers) Samantha , concierge, is Oxford educated, well traveled, has a magnetic personality. She has done a wonderful job for many passengers. When the snowstorm forced cancelation of flights for some passengers, she helped them secure alternate arrangements. I felt she almost functioned like a butler, but we had to share her with two three hundred concierge class passengers.

The concierge lounge is a new concept, so things may keep changing. For example, I was told the ship has 8 outlets for breakfast, and I will not be surprised if they simplify food items in the lounge. Count the outlets: GDR, Terrace cafe, Waves grill, Horizons, Executive lounge, Concierge Lounge, Room service, ( still can't think of the eighth)

Old February 9th, 2011, 02:09 AM
20,000+ Club

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by tak2 View Post

The concierge lounge is a new concept, so things may keep changing. For example, I was told the ship has 8 outlets for breakfast, and I will not be surprised if they simplify food items in the lounge. Count the outlets: GDR, Terrace cafe, Waves grill, Horizons, Executive lounge, Concierge Lounge, Room service, ( still can't think of the eighth)
What time does waves open on Marina ?
on the R ships I am thinking it was 11:30 or noon
Maybe Barristas is #8

Old February 9th, 2011, 10:39 AM
Cool Cruiser

Right you are. It's Barristas.

Waves, I think, serves breakfast starting at 7 or 7:30.

Old February 9th, 2011, 12:14 PM
20,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by tak2 View Post
Right you are. It's Barristas.

Waves, I think, serves breakfast starting at 7 or 7:30.
Thanks
Wow that must be a new feature for the Marina

Lyn

Old February 9th, 2011, 03:46 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Ricki;

I think you need to specify if you will be on Concierge on Marina or on one of the other ships...that would make a difference.
Personally, on the other 3 ships, I don't think it's worth the money...I would do a B or a PH.

Marian

Oceania Regatta 10/07: Venice to Barcelona and on to London and Paris

Oceania Nautica 9/09: Athens to Istanbul

Oceania Insignia 11/11: Rome to Rio

Oceania Nautica 9/12: Stockholm to London