Toddler to Galapagos

RaeEllen

I posted this on the Lindblad boards, but I thought I might get some additional info here.

My mom is taking the family on a trip to the Galapagos this summer. We are beyond thrilled, but our youngest will be 2. (Almost 3)

Does anyone have any tips, either from personal experience with the age group or just experience with the trip, that they can think of? Our girl is an awesome traveller, very mellow and flexible, but she's still a toddler.

For example, I was reading a review that said that no snacks were allowed on the islands. Makes total sense, but I never would have thought of it if I hadn't read it, and it's kind of nice to know those things going in.

I'm also concerned because we are just working on toilet training, and I'm thinking we will have to go back to pull-ups for off the ship time. (Maybe pull-ups over a diaper? We might have to play this one by ear, as, by August, she might be able to go 3-4 hours without a potty break)

The other concern I had was that we love hiking and normally take her in a back-pack. Are there hikes that involve hands and knees scrabbling (hard to do with babypack) vs just rough terrain? For context, we've hike multiple 12-15 mile days with her in England, but never on islands.

She'll be really good about sitting on our laps on a Zodiac, she puts up no fuss at all wearing an infant life preserver, but, are the landings rough enough that you would be nervous handing off a 30 lb child?

It looks to me like many excursions leave very early (great!) and you have to come back to the ship for lunch. I'm sure we'll altnernate staying on board with her for naps.

Anything else I'm not thinking off?

Yes, I was in Galapagos about a year ago. Our guide actually provided snacks for us after a hike around an island. It's not that they won't allow it. They provided it after our hike. We did eat a picnic lunch on Chico volcano on Isabela Island. So food is allowed, but might try to avoid cheerios or popcorn that could fall. Go for a whole granola bar.

Hiking on the rough lava rocks is "crunchy" terrain. If she's in a backpack should be fine. The terrain is not technically challenging, but rocks are dry and crunchy and would not want to fall on the rocks.

what a great family trip! Enjoy!

• 4 months later...

I just completed a cruise in the Galapagos about 2 weeks ago. Let start by saying that we were told no food, only bottled water in a commercially bought water bottle like you might take on a hike. Next depending on the boat you are going on itineraries vary, so you may not be going to islands with challenging hikes. We did go on 2 or three hikes were the rocks were very uneven and difficult to maintain balance. It would be tough with a toddler on your back for sure. Some landings from the boat were also wet landings and the water sometimes was rough and again caused balance issues. On most islands there are Sea Lions that are very entertaining, but Sea Lions are not to be viewed as dogs so it is imperative you keep the toddler somewhat restrained because they do bite if you get to close.

Personally I don't think it is a place for a 2 or 3 year old. If you are sailing on a large boat maybe they have a baby sitting service. The Galapagos are there to be enjoyed and I think taking a toddler will interfere with your joy of the islands. Sorry to have to say that, but might has well tell you like it really is.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, for better or worse, that ship has sailed ;)

This trip is a gift from my mom, so we are just going to go and do the best we can. If we have to alternate hanging out on the beach (or even on the boat for naps) instead of hiking or snorkelling, well, it's still better than being at home!

Go girl and have a most Blessed trip. I took some trips with young children that others shook their heads at but we all survived and better thrieved. Those little children are now traveling with their children and loving it. Keep your attitutude that this is a wonderful family time and enjoy playing with and seeing the world through your child's eyes. This time of childhood goes in a flash so really enjoy it!!! Best of luck.

Well, for better or worse, that ship has sailed ;)

This trip is a gift from my mom, so we are just going to go and do the best we can. If we have to alternate hanging out on the beach (or even on the boat for naps) instead of hiking or snorkelling, well, it's still better than being at home!

You need to find out the minimum age for all activities off the ship. Chances are, they will probably have a minimum age much higher than your child's age. Of course you know there will be no services on board such as babysitting.

Awesome blog. Thanks!

We checked before booking, btw, there is no minimum age for anything. I suppose they take a common sense approach, as we obviously aren't going to put her in a wetsuit and send her in ;)

• 4 months later...

I took my 2 year old on a Antarctica cruise last year and she loved it! The other people on board didn't seem to enjoy her screeming and crying the entire time but....who cares?! We had a blast, go for it. We're going to Mt. Everest followed by a jungle hike through the Amazon in 2012. Can't wait, Disney World is for wimps!

• 6 months later...

For texascruiser your post shows that you are inconsiderate of others, only your own needs are important, you exhibit rudeness and I for one would have been highly pissed that your screaming bratty child was allowed to disrupt others enjoyment of their vacation. Children under 5 are to young to travel on ships, unless there are proper babysitting facilities onboard. You may think your precious child was cute, while screaming its bloody head off, rude rude, rude.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived