Tips for a beginning snorkeler

gailellen12

Hi all - I am booked on the Paul Gauguin for Aug 10! I have snorkeled a couple of times but it has been several years ago. Essentially, I am a beginner. Are any lessons provided by the ship before you arrive at the snorkel intensive ports? If not, which excursions would be best for a novice? I hope to have some good training because I plan on doing lots of the more basic and beginners snorkeling excursions. Thanks Gail :)

Hi Gail,

Yes they do have a beginner's class that may help refresh what you already know and give you some tips about snorkeling in French Polynesia. The class this past cruise was taught by the naturalist, Meagan, and is done in the pool - a great place to practice.

As for the excursions, Pia, from travel conceriege, gave lectures about the ports and excursions and warned us about which ones had strong currents or other issues that might be a problem for anyone other than experienced snorkelers.

We are beginners, like you, and found a great place to snorkel off the beach in Rangiroa. What we liked best was that we could stand, take pictures with our underwater camera, and still see lots of tropical fish. In Bora Bora we went on a cruise with an outside guide, Patrick, and swam with the sharks, sting rays, and thousands of tropical fish. It was fabulous, but I did find it very difficult to take pictures while swimming or drifting.

Now we are in the over water bungalows in Moorea and have snorkled outside our bugalow and from the beach. Our conclusion is for us that being able to stand is a more secure way to snorkel and we still see hundreds of fish. However the coral, and some species often can only be seen with a deeper dive.

Make sure to pick up a flotation vest along with your complimentary snorkel gear on the ship. It really helps your sense of security if you're a beginner. Also avoid any excursion that has the word "drift" in it. The motu day, Motu Mahana is also a good place for beginners, and they usually have an orientation session there.

Some suggestions have already been made.

Get the snorkeling vest from the ship, no charge. It makes a big difference.

I would not be concerned in snorkeling in water that is deep as you will have the vest and someone from the excursion is always in the water with you.

If you are in water that is shallow enough to stand, before you stand do a couple of things. Look to the bottom to make sure the area that you are going to stand in is clear of coral and sharp pointy stuff. Take a reasonable breath from your snorkel, hold the breath, and turn around standing up backwards. If you simply try to go from the snorkeling position to the standing position you will get the tips of your fins bent under your foot making standing quite difficult.

I am a beginner

The best and easiest snorkeling was near the Taha'a resort.

You cannot sink - the water is so salty you will float no matter what.

Patrick actually HELD MY HAND and snorkeled with me when there was a bit of current.

Do not worry!

I am a beginner

The best and easiest snorkeling was near the Taha'a resort.

You cannot sink - the water is so salty you will float no matter what.

The water is shallow almost everywhere.

Patrick actually HELD MY HAND and snorkeled with me when there was a bit of current.

Do not worry!

concerns about damage to coral aside....too many stone fish (painful & poisonous), sea urchins, mata's, etc. The stone fish are clever at blending into a sandy 'looking' area. On one of our first trips to FP, was snorkling in Moorea and had issue with sunscreen on my face irritating my eyes when my mask was on.... so I stood up .... and nearly stood on a moray eel who was swimming by right below me.... I was lucky. Even if you are wearing fins, water shoes, etc, standing up is not advised when snorkling.

I have never snorkel before PG. I am the biggest chicken I know. I can't swim, and I was terrified, at the beginning. I was on that cruise this past January. It was the tour at Bora Bora that I jumped in deep ocean, to see the black tip sharks! I swam with the sting rays, and variety of fish,.. I had so much fun I forgot I could not swim! But of course, I had the vest, and my DH beside me, and it made a huge difference for me.

You will love it!

Have a wonderful time, relax and enjoy it! And dont forget to take your time. You may snorkel over an area and think 'there is nothing there' because you dont see any big/coloured fish but often there is some really fascinating life .. you just need to stay still for a while, and you will see so much more.

Archived