Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Carnival Cruise Lines

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Carnival Cruise Lines

Read thousands of Carnival Cruise Reviews from real cruisers and compare the best Carnival Cruise Deals.

Write a Carnival Review

NEW! Find Your CARNIVAL Roll Call

Old February 24th, 2011, 05:31 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Do I need passport for: Grand Turk, St. Thomas, San Juan

As a US Citizen traveling on Carnival from NYC what do I need to enter Grand Turk, St. Thomas and San Juan? Is a photo drivers license enough?

Ad Sponsored By
Old February 24th, 2011, 05:35 PM
5,000+ Club

If you do not have a passport you need both a valid government issued photo ID and a birth certificate.

Old February 24th, 2011, 05:41 PM
Cool Cruiser

That would be an original state (not hospital) issued birth certificate.

Old February 24th, 2011, 05:48 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by valtandc View Post
As a US Citizen traveling on Carnival from NYC what do I need to enter Grand Turk, St. Thomas and San Juan? Is a photo drivers license enough?

Once you get on the ship in NY, to get off and back on in any of those aforementioned ports all you need is your S & S card and your drivers license.

To get on the ship in the first place, you'll need either a passport or a photo ID and a certified (raised seal) copy of your birth cerftificate.

Have a great cruise.

Carnival Imagination 2000, Carnival Holiday 2006
Carnival Triumph 2007, Carnival Destiny 2008
Carnival Spirit 2009, Carnival Triumph 2010
Carnival Triumph 2011, Carnival Conquest 2012

Old February 24th, 2011, 06:04 PM
Cool Cruiser

San Juan and St Thomas is still the United States. For Grand Turk, you do not need anything other than your sail and sign card, and photo ID. For closed loop cruises, Leaving and returning to the same port, you do not need a passport.

However, you need a birth certificate, with says "birth certificate", and not a "certificate of live birth". It must also have a raised seal on it. You will need a drivers license for a photo ID.

Old February 25th, 2011, 01:03 AM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havingfun2010 View Post

However, you need a birth certificate, with says "birth certificate", and not a "certificate of live birth". It must also have a raised seal on it. You will need a drivers license for a photo ID.
The terminology changes from state to state; what matters is that the document is issued by the state or county of your birth and is a certified copy of the document recorded. It must not be a certificate issued by the hospital.

Been There Done That: Crown Princess April 2013, Crown Princess Oct/Nov 2012, Grand Princess Dec 2011, Sapphire Princess March 2011, Emerald Princess July 2010, Maui by Kayak March 2008, Grand Princess March 2007 (Man Overboard Cruise) Carnival Spirit March 2006, Golden Princess June 2004, Star Princess July 2002, Ryndam June 1998, Nordic Prince 1986, Norway 1984

Old February 25th, 2011, 01:30 AM
Cool Cruiser

Valtandc if you were born in NJ you will need a b.c. from the vital statistics office in Trenton. I had to get one cause their was problems in NJ with falsifying documents. So now you have to go thru Trenton. I got mine and then got a passport so I wouldnt have that problem later. And if an emergency should happen Ill be able to fly from the foreign port. Cant do that with b.c.