Will U.S. Cruise Lines Reinstate Fuel Surcharges?

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Cruise Critic News & Feature Articles
Up-to-the minute News & Feature Articles from Cruise Critic
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 10:36 AM.
Boston
8,162 Posts
Joined May 2006
Originally posted by LauraS
Cruise Critic has just posted the following news:

Will U.S. Cruise Lines Reinstate Fuel Surcharges?

Read the entire news article...
If the cruise lines aren't happy with their profit margins, they can raise prices. The oil surcharge is a bit disengenuous because they will never rebate passengers when the price of oil goes down.
Australian
300 Posts
Joined Jan 2010
I would rather pay a surcharge than let them put thier prices up because as we know when prices go up due to higher costs, shortages etc. when the fuel price goes back down I'll bet you anything you like they won,t lower the price. With a surcharge public pressure can be brought to bear to ensur the surcharge is cancelled.

The only thing I don't like about the surcharge is they can add it at any time. Most major lines hedge fuel for months in advance so they should be able to notify passengers 6 mths in advance saying that their hedge price has increase so the surchage is on for cruises after this date.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Previous Cruises with P & O Cruise's in the Pacific Islands and the best by far Ruby Princess in the Caribbean also carnival splendour to the Mexican riviera