Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Conversations > Cruise Foodies

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old August 18th, 2011, 03:47 PM
Cool Cruiser

I've only been one 1 cruise so far (9/4/2010 sailing on the NCL Jewel) but I absolutely loved breakfast at the Great Outdoors, the outdoor buffet onboard the NCL ships. I loved going there as often as I could (my husband spent several days of the cruise in NCL University, so I had a lot of solo breakfasts).

Close second was breakfast in the MDR -- Eggs Benedict and smoked kippers. I'm a breakfast person, can you tell?

Old August 27th, 2011, 06:10 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default B is for Balcony Breakfast!

On Royal you can get eggs, bacon, breads, hasbrowns & my favorite broiled tomatoes! Omgosh it is a ritual! We use the card to decide what time to get up.
Then out to the lido for bloody marys!
got the blue sky, breeze and it don't seem fair
the only worry in the world
is the tide gonna reach my chair

Holiday July '05
Enchantment Sept '08
Fascination Sept '10
Allure Sept '12 (7288)

icon: in my happy place, Half Moon Cay, '10

Old September 1st, 2011, 04:40 PM
50,000+ Club

A few times we ordered breakfast via room service -- especially in Europe as we did not want to fight the crowds in the buffet as we had early tours.

Then all of a sudden we started to get extremely poor service on HAL (the others had been on Princess) -- food never arrived before we had to leave -- even after numerous calls by us and our concierges -- or if it did come -- order not correct and/or cold.

So now if we have a tour we eat in the Neptune Lounge. No tour -- go to the suite restaurant area for breakfast.

We love fruit -- and the Neptune Lounge on most ships has a great supply of it -- fresh kiwi, papaya, etc.

Old September 3rd, 2011, 10:19 PM
Cruise Critic Host

We love the room service hot breakfast on RCCL. We enjoy it every morning on our balcony. There's nothing like breakfast on your balcony with that amazing sea view.

Previous Cruises:
NCL Norwegian Crown-NYC to Bermuda (2006)
RCI Adventure S. Caribbean-Barbados Route (2009)

Complete Photo Reviews:
RCI Serenade S. Caribbean-Barbados Route (2010)
l Carnival Glory from Norfolk-Bahamas (2011) l RCI Serenade S. Caribbean-Aruba Route (2011) l RCI Liberty to Cozumel (2012) l Fort Lauderdale Pre-and-Post-Cruise l RCI Allure W. Caribbean-Babymoon (2012) l RCI Liberty to Cozumel-Baby's First Cruise (2014)

Up next:
Norwegian Breakaway, January 2015
RCI Quantum, March 2015
Celebrity Silhouette, November 2015

Travel Blog

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
~Mark Twain

Old October 29th, 2011, 08:24 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Balcony Breakfast

We order room service breakfast with the hang tag on port days and eat a hot breakfast on the balcony in robes or Pjs. On sea days, we do enjoy the MDR.

3/2003 Carnival Destiny, Southern Caribbean
1/2004 Norwegian Majesty, Eastern Caribbean
1/2005 RCI Serenade of the Seas, Southern Caribbean
1/2006 Golden Princess, Southern Caribbean
2/2008 Celebrity Summit, Southern Caribbean
1/2012 Celebrity Summit, Southern Caribbean

Old December 11th, 2011, 12:07 PM
Cool Cruiser

I love breakfast on the ship-especially if it is a celebrity ship where there is so much selection I can have a different breakfast every day! I wake up early, usually one of the first there, pile my plate and find a seat with a view of wherever we are that day. On port days the excitement builds and I tend to eat too quickly so I can get back to my room and get ready to disembark. Coffee comes back down to the room with me. If lucky enough to have a balcony-then its all about hauling a tray full of pastries, fruit, juice and coffee back to the room to enjoy the view. I have been known to show up at the buffet in my PJs and bathrobe.....and in the early AM I am not the only one

Old December 11th, 2011, 06:51 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default B-Time

I am up several hours before the wife and daughter. I get up, find coffee somewhere and wander and read a book 5-7 or 6-8 AM everyday. Love the morning up top, can actually find a place to sit

Then I make it back to the room to see the gals. It is then we head to breakfast, buffet somedays, MDR others. I prefer MDR, like to sit in the morn and be served, plus I too like the Benedict.

I too have never used room service in my first 2 cruises. Don't know why..just never in the room enough I guess? Out at 6 AM, back in at 8 AM to see my gals, out for breakfast and the day, back at 8 or 9 for the evening.
K

Old December 13th, 2011, 03:08 PM
Cool Cruiser

My routine varies by ship. We often cruise with my family. My dad and I both like to go ahead and get up and enjoy the morning. My DH and my mother are both sleepers. Mind you, we are in different cabins. Brother, SIL and Niece are all "sleep in" people too. Dad and I usually find each other in the buffet. We did Mariner of the Seas twice while she was out of Port Canaveral. I wasn't overly impressed with the buffet, so Dad and I enjoyed the MDR.

In 2010, we sailed on Celebrity Solstice. Their Eggs Benedict on the buffet was delicious. Their chocolate croissants were wonderful as well. We mostly did buffet breakfast on Solstice.

Either way, my husband is a big breakfast fan. He is starting to realize if he sleeps all day, he won't get breakfast. LOL

I could take it or leave it. It is more about spending time with my dad when I can.

Old December 13th, 2011, 07:29 PM
Cool Cruiser

This time around we are planning to change it up each day, buffet, MDR and blue lagoon. Room service, maybe just for coffee

Old December 16th, 2011, 03:01 AM
Cool Cruiser

I usually call home service as soon as I dressed up and fix myself. Then just go to MDR. It is much better to take your breakfast outside.

Old February 21st, 2012, 05:23 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Brekkie is the best meal of the day!

On both our cruises we've ordered room service breakfast on the first morning. Eating outside when it's warm (in January...ahhh), sunny and peaceful is just the best thing in the world.
All the other mornings we are in the buffet
We love the huge amount of choices and we are definitely not afraid of bad hygiene. We wash our hands before and after and we've been fine.

Would like to try the MDR next time though

Old February 21st, 2012, 02:20 PM
Cool Cruiser

We travel w/ another couple (good friends of 40 yrs). They tend to be late risers..9 or 9:30, whereas we are typically up by 7...so we order continental bfast the nite before using the door hanger tag (HAL) and specifying 7:30 delivery. That way we can sit on the balcony with our books, coffee, OJ croissants and danish and enjoy a quiet 90 min or so before heading up to the lido w/ our friends about 9:30.

As bfast is one of my fav meals, that way I get to have it twice. Generally means a salad and maybe soup for lunch, but works for us. Not quite as leisurely on port days, but we tend to book trips that are not port intensive as we've been to most of the usual stops once or twice before.

Old March 23rd, 2012, 03:38 AM
5,000+ Club

I really love a good breakfast and usually eat from in the MDR. Never tried room service, but reading this thread I'm thinking about trying it on my next cruise.

1/8/15 Eurodam (Smooth Jazz Cruise)
11/8/14 Breeze (Feelin' the Breeze Part 2)
1/12/14 Eurodam (Smooth Jazz Cruise)
10/10/13 Victory B2B (Victory is Mine)
1/13/13 Westerdam (Smooth Jazz Cruise)
11/24/12 Breeze (Feelin' the Breeze)
1/15/12 Westerdam (Smooth Jazz Cruise)
12/4/11 Miracle (x-mas on the beach)
1/16/11 Noordam (Smooth Jazz Cruise)
9/18/10 Fantasy
9/20/09 Sensation
11/08 Westerdam (Dave Koz & Friends)
2008 Caribbean Princess
10/2/06 Celebration
10/9/05 Destiny
2002 Costa Cruise Line

Old March 23rd, 2012, 07:35 PM
Cool Cruiser

It depends on what the schedule is for that day. I am an early riser anyway. If we have a very early excursion, we put out the room service door hanger the night before, and I usually get a bowl of berries, whole wheat toast and peanut butter. Our cabin stewards have been very good about keeping our fruit basket supplied with fruit we like, so I'll have sliced bananas as well. (BTW, PB is not on the hanger, I write it on and always get it.) Mom gets mostly the same, but my coffee is regular, her's is decaf so I get a whole pot!. That way I can be getting showered, dressed, etc. while I nibble. Late excursions, or sea days, we love the MDR. HAL has a new MDR breakfast menu, and it looks like I can have a different benedict almost every day!

August 2015 - Alaska - HAL Volendam (7)
August 2014 - Voyage of the Midnight Sun - HAL Rotterdam (14)
December 2013 - Sunfarer Panama Canal - HAL Zuiderdam (11)
November 2012 - New Zealand Discovery - HAL Oosterdam (14)
August 2010 - Celtic Legends - HAL Westerdam (12)
September 2009 - Mediterranean - HAL Oosterdam (12)
October 2005 - Canada/New England - HAL Maasdam (8)
August 2004 - Alaska - HAL Ryndam (7)
July 2002 - Baltic Capitals - HAL Noordam (10)

Old March 24th, 2012, 09:12 PM
Cool Cruiser

We like to wake up and head to the buffet for fresh made omelets and juice. Sometimes we go to the MDR if we make it out early enough! I love the eggs benedict!

CARNIVAL Fascination 02/98 Free 4 day cruise!
HAL Maasdam 1/31/04 to 2/10/04
HAL Zuiderdam 9/18/04 to 9/27/04 My Hurricane Jeanne adventure
CARIBBEAN PRINCESS 9/17/05 to 09/24/05 My Hurricane Rita ride a
CARIBBEAN PRINCESS 4/22/06 to 4/29/06 GREAT Weather!!!
CROWN PRINCESS 9/12/06 to 9/21/06 Best one yet!!
CROWN PRINCESS 10/05/08 to 10/12/08 Awesome!
CROWN PRINCESS 12/12/09 to 12/19/09 3rd time's a charm!!
EMERALD PRINCESS 10/09/10 to 10/19/10 Perfect!!
EMERALD PRINCESS 09/29/11 to 10/09/11

RUBY PRINCESS B2B 11/18/12 to 12/2/12

ROYAL PRINCESS B2B 11/10/13 & 11/17/13
Next: Regal B2B2B 11/09, 11/16, 11/23

Old April 3rd, 2012, 07:07 PM
Cool Cruiser

"Home or away for 47 years, DH breaks fast as soon after 5 a.m. as he can find food and drink, usually an orange and coffee. DW considers breakfast before 9:30 a.m. barbaric. Aboard the cruise ship, lately a Norwegian, DH is waiting at the podium for Blue Lagoon to open or at the aft outdoor buffet for the first available cup of coffee. DW orders coffee and muesli with yogurt for delivery at 9, then meets DH in the main buffet for an interesting selection of fresh fruit and pastry"

What a perfect compromise. How lovely!

Last edited by sjb.illinois; April 3rd, 2012 at 07:10 PM.

Old April 11th, 2012, 04:13 PM
Cool Cruiser

Do buffets usually start breakfast at a certain time?
Same start time as MDR?

Old April 12th, 2012, 02:55 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaman123 View Post
Do buffets usually start breakfast at a certain time?
Same start time as MDR?
On Royal Caribbean the Windjammer buffet opens earlier than MDR. Don't know about other cruise lines.

Old April 13th, 2012, 05:28 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Breakfast

I'm a type 2 diabetic so I always eat a decent breakfast with eggs of some kind. On Carnival except for the salmon which I do like, no eggs, their Room Service Breakfast is mostly carbs breads/fruit/cereals which I can't eat. But most mornings I enjoy the relaxation of the MDR which is why I cruise - R&R for me. The bacon seems to be better and the sausages in the buffet are not cooked to my liking as in the MDR, not bad just different combinations. Plus I like the service. Afterwards I go to the rear of the Lido deck and sit at a quiet spot, have some tea and write in my journal and read, lovely...
Carnival (9) = Liberty: Mar 7-14-2009; Legend: Nov 1-9-2009; Miracle: Nov 11-19-2010; Dream: Nov 5-12-2011; Freedom: Feb 5-11-2012; Freedom: Mar 24-Apr 1-2012; Paradise: Jun 11-6-2012; Liberty: Aug 1-9-2014; Liberty: Aug 9-17-2014
Princess (2) = Ruby: Jan 13-20-2013; Emerald: Mar 27-Apr.6- 2013
RCI (4) = Monarch: Feb 7-11-2011; Jewel: Oct 28-Nov 11- 2012; Freedom: Aug 25-Sep 1-2013; Brilliance: Oct 27-Nov 9-2013

Old April 15th, 2012, 06:30 PM
Cool Cruiser

On port days, room service is our wake-up call. A leisurely breakfast on the balcony, then off to shower and get ready for the day.

On sea days, up to the gym, back to shower, then breakfast in the MDR. Or lunch, if I slept in.

And always, my first breakfast in the MDR is eggs benedict. That's about the only time I have them, and it's always the kick-off to a great vacation!