With Time and Money Running Out, S.S. United States Seeks New Home, Investors

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Cruise Critic News & Feature Articles
Up-to-the minute News & Feature Articles from Cruise Critic
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 08:03 PM.
Groveland, Fla.
5,917 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
Would love to see that ship brought back. I know it will never see service again, but what an Icon of the old liners.

Spent one night on the Queen Mary in Long Beach before our Panama Canal transit on the Pride. What an experience.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Jess

Proud member of the Patriot Guard Riders * Standing For Those Who Stood For Us
Proud member of the CBG
Proud member of the ETDC
NCL Dawn 11/11/12
Sensation 7/22/12
LEGEND 9/18/11
PRIDE 3/22/09 14 Day Panama Canal Cruise and PLATINUM
DESTINY 11/3/08
DESTINY 10/30/08
INSPIRATION 3/20/08
LIBERTY 10/13/07
SENSATION 9/2/07
LEGEND 1/3/07
SENSATION 12/3/06
MIRACLE 5/21/06
FANTASY 12/10/05
new jersey
511 Posts
Joined May 2008
priior to the maiden voyage in nyc i was on the ship for a bon voyage party. i was in high school and my best friend's father was the first class band leader. what a ship!!!!

we have cruised 40 times and continue cruising every year. i hope they do something for that great ship. i have seen it several times in philly and really admire it.
flushing, ny
5,547 Posts
Joined Oct 2004
I would love to see her brought 'home' to New York. Wouldn't it be nice to see her docked near the Intrepid museum? She could have multi uses as a hotel, ocean liner museum, conference center to supplement the nearby Javits Convention Center.
New York has the biggest market to give her a chance at financial success. If Long Beach (RMS Queen Mary), and Rotterdam (SS Rotterdam) can make a go of it, why not New York?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
getting there is half the fun!
coming back is the other half!
104,254 Posts
Joined Jul 2001
Originally posted by bob brown
I would love to see her brought 'home' to New York. Wouldn't it be nice to see her docked near the Intrepid museum? She could have multi uses as a hotel, ocean liner museum, conference center to supplement the nearby Javits Convention Center.
New York has the biggest market to give her a chance at financial success. If Long Beach (RMS Queen Mary), and Rotterdam (SS Rotterdam) can make a go of it, why not New York?
that is a great idea
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cruising is a wonderful way to enjoy retirement!
Stopped counting a few years ago -- have done over 140 cruises.