Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Crystal Cruises

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Crystal Cruises
Read Crystal Cruise Reviews from real cruisers and compare the best Crystal Cruise Deals.

Register for a Cruise Critic/Crystal Cruises Meet & Mingle

Need to make a change or addition to your Meet & Mingle registration? Update Your Meet & Mingle Registration

GO TO: Crystal ROLL CALL Forums

Old March 22nd, 2011, 11:31 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Default crystal to go all inclusive spring 2012

http://www.cruisereport.com/crNews.aspx?id=1490

Old March 22nd, 2011, 11:38 AM
Cool Cruiser

Location: Rural Johnson County Texas which is south of Fort Worth

I just read that. Interesting change.

Old March 22nd, 2011, 11:38 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default That is unfortunate as I do not drink

and do not feel I should have to pay for things I do not use nor condone a habit I do not believe in. I also already have my gratuities paid for by my TA.So it looks like they are going to price many of us out of the Crystal market. I hope they will reconsider this.The only thing Crystal will have over other luxury lines is their much more reasonable single supplement fares...

Old March 22nd, 2011, 11:53 AM
5,000+ Club

Default The Rumor Mill

From the cited arcticle:

"A complete list of 2012 Crystal itineraries, with fares, for all cruises is now posted on Crystal’s website, www.crystalcruises.com, and all cruises are now open for booking. "

After reading that article I went to the Crystal website and found at least one part of the arcticle premature, to say the least. Until I see something more reliable, I'll take this with a grain of salt.

Roy

Old March 22nd, 2011, 11:59 AM
5,000+ Club

Smile

Correct roy...prices for most of 2012 aren't posted yet...hopefully within the next few hours.

It will be interesting to see how the all-inclusiveness with the wines/spirits and gratuities will be factored into the pricing.

Nancy

Ad Sponsored By
Old March 22nd, 2011, 11:59 AM
Cool Cruiser

We are pleased and not surprised by the change to all inclusive. Regent, Seabourn, Silversea, SeaDream are all inclusive, and Crystal may think they need to be all inclusive to be competitive. We never minded signing for wines. Prices were fair. It wil be interesting to see how this will affect the as you wish onboard credit and the prices of the cruises.
In any case we will sail with Crystal as often as we can.

Old March 22nd, 2011, 12:00 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default There is a link to it on Crystal's facebook page now though

I also already get my gratuities paid for by my TA currently and see no point in making gratuities included(read: Pay the staff and crew a decent salary) and leave gratuities voluntary! I had housekeeping service last year that I do not believe was deserving of a great gratuity at the end of the day(reasons are several and no need to get into now after the fact) but was still stuck paying for it indirectly as it was covered by my TA.

Old March 22nd, 2011, 12:05 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafinmd View Post
From the cited arcticle:

"A complete list of 2012 Crystal itineraries, with fares, for all cruises is now posted on Crystal’s website, www.crystalcruises.com, and all cruises are now open for booking. "

After reading that article I went to the Crystal website and found at least one part of the arcticle premature, to say the least. Until I see something more reliable, I'll take this with a grain of salt.

Roy
Think it is now "official" See http://www.crystalcruises.com/AboutUs.aspx

Old March 22nd, 2011, 12:12 PM
Cruise Critic Host

I personally think its about time. It always fascinated me that they didn't even include wine with dinner, with the high fares. (prior to AYW)

Host Dan

hostdan@cruisecritic.com

Old March 22nd, 2011, 12:16 PM
5,000+ Club

Smile

I wonder if Crystal will be offering AS You Wish credits??? While it's great that drinks are included, I prefer to use a credit for what I want to use it for. My TA has included gratuities the past few years. My husband drinks very little and isn't thrilled about drinks included and I am very specific about my wines. Time will tell and I'll wait to see the full details on this change.

Nancy

Old March 22nd, 2011, 12:26 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancygp View Post
Correct roy...prices for most of 2012 aren't posted yet...hopefully within the next few hours.

It will be interesting to see how the all-inclusiveness with the wines/spirits and gratuities will be factored into the pricing.

Nancy
Quote:
Originally Posted by marienbad
We are pleased and not surprised by the change to all inclusive. Regent, Seabourn, Silversea, SeaDream are all inclusive, and Crystal may think they need to be all inclusive to be competitive. We never minded signing for wines. Prices were fair. It wil be interesting to see how this will affect the as you wish onboard credit and the prices of the cruises.
In any case we will sail with Crystal as often as we can.
I wouldn't be surprised if As You Wish goes away with the introduction of all-inclusive. But that is pure speculation on my part. We'll know soon enough!
60 - NCL
55 - Princess
36 - Royal Caribbean
17 - HAL
17 - Disney
10 - Cunard

Old March 22nd, 2011, 12:29 PM
Senior Editor

Cruise Critic's piece on this is launching shortly. As You Wish is going away -- but free flights/airfare credits are remaining.

Old March 22nd, 2011, 12:31 PM
5,000+ Club

It seems like later than usual this year that prices have been released and apparently this is the reason.

Roy

Future cruises:

10/28/14 QM2 EB Transatlantic >>> Wind Star WB Transatlantic
12/28/14 Ryndam Western Caribbean
1/23/15 MS Maasdam FTL to Rio
3/13/15 Grandeur OTS B2B BWI-Bahamas-Caribbean
5/4/15 Crystal Serenity EB Transatlantic >> 5/20/15 Prinsendam Kiel/Celtic Collectors
10/11/15 QM2 TA New York > Southampton >>> 10/22/15 Allure of the Seas Transatlantic from Rome
1/27/16 Crystal Symphony Buenos Aires-Antarctica-Miami
8/16/16 Crystal Serenity Northwest Passage

Old March 22nd, 2011, 12:31 PM
Cool Cruiser

"Coming in Spring 2012: Crystal is going All Inclusive. Complimentary fine wines, spirits and gratuities for all – including bars, butlers and specialty restaurants. Enjoy the ease: http://*******/XcgYs"

Of course this will replace "AYW" on-board credit....what would be left on which to spend it? One way or another the passengers will be paying for all these extras - whether they use them or not, so let's not get too excited.

Trudi

Old March 22nd, 2011, 12:34 PM
Cool Cruiser

FYI, this is from Crystal's website:

http://www.crystalcruises.com/MediaCenter.aspx

http://www.crystalcruises.com/AboutUs.aspx

March 22 Media release about "All Inclusive for 2012." The particulars are in the Media Release.

Kate

Old March 22nd, 2011, 12:51 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default AYW credits a "gateway drug" to "All Inclusive"!

Seems we no longer have "choices". Luxury cruising will now equal "all inclusive" and as stated, we will all be paying for it, just as we have for the AYW credits.

Last edited by Kissing Seahorses; March 22nd, 2011 at 12:53 PM.

Old March 22nd, 2011, 01:00 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default without the AYW credits Crystal is no longer such a good deal.

The only thing keeping me from abandoning the Crystal ship ,as it were, is the reasonable single supplement fee. If that is raised, I will be looking into less expensive cruises on some lines other CC membershave mentioned and been happy with... I will be darned if I am going to pay out of my pocket the outrageous internet fee of $300 for 25 hours nor the overpriced spa/salon fees.The AYW made it affordable for me. Crystal you missed the boat on this one!!!

Last edited by haikou; March 22nd, 2011 at 01:02 PM.

Old March 22nd, 2011, 01:02 PM
Cool Cruiser

Smile Heck, It's ONLY MONEY!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancientmariner View Post
"Coming in Spring 2012: Crystal is going All Inclusive. Complimentary fine wines, spirits and gratuities for all – including bars, butlers and specialty restaurants. Enjoy the ease: http://*******/XcgYs"

Of course this will replace "AYW" on-board credit....what would be left on which to spend it? One way or another the passengers will be paying for all these extras - whether they use them or not, so let's not get too excited.

Trudi
I don't really care one way or the other...handing out tips or putting them on the bill etc. at the end is a pain anyway. I always fork over some cash to my favorite Crew anyway...it's ONLY MONEY! I expect to pay mucho to get a quality product and will continue to do so...Crystal is why I work hard and can now enjoy it!!

G

Old March 22nd, 2011, 01:10 PM
Cool Cruiser

My husband and I don't drink and our travel agent always pays our gratuities, so this change isn't of any advantage to us.

In fact, if Crystal also does away with the AYW credits, it will be a big disadvantage for us!

We love the AYW, and there are plenty of things to use them for besides just buying drinks-- spa, excursions, photos, gift shop, extra tips, etc.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed about the credits, but I'm not very hopeful.

Emily

Old March 22nd, 2011, 01:19 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default I expect TAs can adjust

Just because TAs currently pay gratuities and now Crystal will apparently be including them in the fares, doesn't mean all is lost. The TAs can switch to an onboard credit which can then be used for shorex, spa, shops etc. I always fine plenty of things to spend money on. In essence that's all the TA paid gratuities were anyway, an onboard credit restricted in its use.