Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "P - Z" > Princess Cruises

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Princess Cruises
Read thousands of Princess Cruise Reviews from real cruisers and compare the best Princess Cruise Deals

NEW! Find Your PRINCESS Roll Call

Old April 1st, 2011, 12:40 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Help!

Hi
Getting ready to take a cruise and I have lots of questions, perhaps someone can help me.
Is there a list somewhere of suggested things I should take on my trip? First, we have decided to leave our 8 day old son with a baby sitter for the 7 day cruise, is that wrong? We will be flying in the day of the cruise and we hoped our arrival at 2:45 PM will not be too late for us to make the ship after a stop at the grocery and liquor store. My wife wants to purchase 2 cases of beer and I will buy 3 bottles of vodka, which we will place among our clothing after we repack in Ft. Lauderdale. We also want to stock up on a few cases of water and some lunch meat so we can make sandwiches if we get hungry after dinner. So many details, so little time. We have been assured that our luggage will arrive to our stateroom prior to the muster drill, which we intend to miss, how boaring, so we will have extra time for the buffet prior to sail away.
Our TA has assured us that we should have no trouble getting an upgrade from our guaranteed inside to a suite since this is our first time we are sailing in the month of April, so we are very excited! We are also curious as to how many outlets each room has as we will be bringing our iron and hot plate as my wife loves to make her own grilled cheese every afternoon. Besides our battery chargers, hairdryer, curling iron, clock radio and portable fan I hope we are okay with outlets. Can someone recommend the proper extension cord to take aboard the ship, we need enough receptacles.
Now I have read that smoking is permitted everywhere on the ship except for the elevators, since we smoke constantly we want to be courteous so have decided that we would never smoke in the elevators when other passengers were present. Utilizing our clock radio to listen to island music, we hope to awake each morning at 5:30 AM to secure a place by the pool. Our friends, who have sailed many times, tell us if we place a magazine and towel on a lounge chair they belong to us for the entire day, so we plan on hitting the pool after lunch. We wanted to know if we should also place a personal article of clothing on the chairs to make it seem more personalized. Any tips on how to secure our places by the pool for an entire week would be appreciated; maybe a professional looking reserved sign? Can we tip the pool steward to block a group a chairs? I also need to know if appropriate to bring my rod and reel as I expect an aft suite and heard that fishing and kite flying is okay from the rear of the ship. If someone can tell me the hottest penny slot to play I would also appreciate it very much!
Speaking of tips, can someone tell me if it is appropriate to tip the crew after the trip is over? We are upset that automatic tips are for 7 days, yet if you think about it we will really only be on the ship for 5 full days, if you discount that the departure and arrival days are really not full 24 hour days. We believe that 1 dollar a day for the cabin steward is appropriate and since we will eat at the buffet one or two nights did not feel the waiters deserve a tip, any advice? Also my wife says it is appropriate to tip the Captain after the cruise any suggestions as to the amount?
Now as far as dress we were wondering what smart casual meant? Since we don’t have a lot of room in our suitcases, minus our beverages, we will be limited as to what we can bring. I was hoping that a smart pair of shorts, a new t-shirt and some boat shoes would suffice. Any help here? As far as the formal nights go I have been told that a nice pair of jeans would be okay, heck, I paid almost $100 for mine, more than most men’s fancy dress pants! Besides, we do not own anything truly formal, we gave the coat and tie thing up when we retired last month. I have promised my wife I would not wear my Yankees ball cap on formal nights so she seems to be pleased.
Hope getting off the ship is as easy as they say we have an early flight that departs Ft. Lauderdale at 7:45 AM. Lastly, can someone please tell me why Princess is better than Celebrity? We know we have a lot of questions here but hope some of you experts can help us out, thanks very much in advance!
Can anyone tell me what I am forgetting?
Smile!
Ken

Trifecta Cruisers Charter Member

Caribbean Princess Eastern Caribbean May 2006, Caribbean Princess Western Caribbean May 2007, Carnival Sensation Eastern Caribbean September 2007, Celebrity Millennium Eastern Caribbean March 2008, Celebrity Solstice Eastern Caribbean March 2009, Ruby Princess Southern Caribbean March 2010, Celebrity Eclipse Western Caribbean April 2011, Emerald Princess Southern Caribbean March 2012, Caribbean Princess Southern Caribbean April 2013, Royal Princess Eastern Caribbean April 2014, Caribbean Princess Eastern Caribbean September 2014, Celebrity Silhouette Western Caribbean April 2015, Celebrity Equinox Ultimate Caribbean April 2016.

floridacruiserstwo@gmail.com

Old April 1st, 2011, 12:45 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Oh, this is PERFECT!!! hehehe

Celebration, 1998
Carnival Destiny, 1999
Carnival Destiny, 2000
RCCL Serenade of the Seas, 2004
Crown Princess, 2007
Carnival Fantasy, 2008
Ruby Princess, 2008
Carnival Sensation (Abbie), 2009
Carnival Fantasy, 2009
Caribbean Princess, 2009
Carnival Triumph, 2010
Emerald Princess, 2010
Golden Princess (Alaska), 2011
RCCL Voyager of the Seas, 2011
NCL Spirit, 2012
Emerald Princess, 2012
Carnival Freedom (Girls' Trip), 2013
NCL Sun, 2013
NCL Jewel, 2014
Celebrity Summit, 2014
RCCL Oasis of the Seas, 2015

Old April 1st, 2011, 12:45 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

very cute.

Sailing again soon on:
NCL Gem CTN - RC Quantum of the Seas CTN - NCL Breakaway CTN - NCL Gem

Past Cruises:
Carnival Splendor RC Explorer of the SeasNCL Gem ● NCL Breakaway CTN x 2 ● Carnival Glory ● NCL Breakaway Celebrity Equinox ● NCL Jewel CTN ● NCL Gem ● Carnival GloryDisney Magic CTNCarnival Freedom ● Norwegian Star ● Norwegian Gem ● Carnival Miracle CTNCarnival GloryCaribbean Princess repositioning ● Norwegian Jewel CTN ● Carnival LegendCarnival GloryCelebrity SummitIsland Princess through Panama Canal ● Norwegian Gem CTN ● Carnival Dream CTNCarnival LibertyCarnival Triumph Carnival Miracle ● Norwegian Dawn ● Norwegian Gem CTN ● Emerald PrincessRC Explorer of the SeasCrown PrincessCaribbean PrincessCarnival FantasyCarnival ImaginationCarnival Victory

Old April 1st, 2011, 12:48 PM
5,000+ Club

Talking He He

April Fool

Old April 1st, 2011, 01:03 PM
Cool Cruiser

What I can't believe is that someone has the time in their life to make up such dribble.

Ad Sponsored By
Old April 1st, 2011, 01:30 PM
Cool Cruiser

Don't forget to bring a deck of cards. There are some very nice tables in Horizon Court. Get there about 11:30am, and spend a few enjoyable hours playing Crazy Eights.

Star Princess (Hawaii) - 3/14 ... Photos ... Patters
Coral Princess (Panama Canal) - 4/12 ... Photos ... Patters
Golden Princess (Alaska) - 6/11 ... Photos ... Patters
Golden Princess (Hawaii) - 1/11 ... Photos ... Patters
Mariner of the Seas (Mexico) - 12/09 ... Photos ... Compasses
Sapphire Princess (Mexico) - 2/09 ... Photos
Star Princess (Alaska) - 5/08 ... Photos
Dawn Princess (Caribbean) -4/05 ... Photos
Rhapsody of the Seas (Mexico) -1/01
Carnival Holiday (Mexico) - 1/99
RCCL Song of America (Mexico) - 3/97
Carnival Imagination (Caribbean) - 4/96
Celebrity Meridian (Caribbean) 3/94
NCL Southward (Mexico) - 7/93
Carnival Jubilee (Mexico) - 2/91 ... Photos ... Capers

Old April 1st, 2011, 01:38 PM
5,000+ Club

Lol!!!

Upcoming: Oct-Nov 2014 b2b2b Caribbean Princess; May-June 2015 Grand Princess b2b ; Sept Caribbean Princess t/a; Oct-Nov 2015 Caribbean Princess b2b2b
Completed: August 2014 Caribbean Princess b2b; April 2014 Caribbean Princess; February 2014 Ruby Princess b2b Caribbean;October/November 2012 Grand Princess b2b Canary Islands and crossing; January 2012 Emerald Princess Caribbean; October 2011 Ruby Princess b2b Med and crossing; August 2011 Sea Princess Alaska; March 2011 Coral Princess, Panama Canal; Feb 2011 Grand Princess S. Caribbean, Oct 2010 Crown Princess Western Caribbean, July 2010 Caribbean Princess New York r/t Bermuda,etc., April 2010 Golden Princess Hawaii, Dec 2009 Crown Princess W. Carribean, August/September 2009 Caribbean Princess b2b Canada/New England, Jan 2009 b2b Emerald Princess S. Caribbean, September 2008 Tahitian Princess Alaska, April 2008 Coral Princess Panama Canal and repo, January 2008 Dawn Princess Mexican Riviera, December 2007 Grand Princess Western Caribbean, May/June 2007 Sapphire Princess Whittier to Vancouver,May 2007 Sapphire Princess Vancouver to Whittier,May 2007 Sapphire Princess LA to Vancouver, January 2007 Golden Princess W. Carribean ,January 2007 Golden Princess, October 2006 Caribbean Princess W.Carribean, March 2006 Island Princess Hawaii, October 2005 Sea Princess Quebec to FLL, August 2005 Caribbean Princess, April 2005 Regal Princess Panama Canal ,November 2004 Coral Princess Panama Canal, August 2004 Grand Princess,(marrried my DH aboard the Grand Princess on August 4, 2004 in the Baltic Sea),October 2002 Grand Princess E. Caribbean,1970's and 1980'2: 3 Cruises Royal Caribbean and 2 cruises NCL

Old April 1st, 2011, 01:40 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 HappyCruiser View Post
What I can't believe is that someone has the time in their life to make up such dribble.
I guess he had just as much time in his life to make up the "dribble" as you have in your life to read and comment in the "dribble"

Old April 1st, 2011, 01:43 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default You forgot something important

When you get upgraded to the suite from the guarateed inside you can bring your sport fishing pole, fish right off your balcony, and anything you catch you can eat right in your suite. You just call down to the kitchen/room service give them your cabin number and the executive chef will come up and prepare it any way you like and serve it to you to dine on your balcony. Boy, those suites sure have their perks!
01/09 HAL Maasdam Eastern Carribbean
03/10 HAL Westerdam Southern Carribbean
05/11 Carribbean Princess Repositioning
04/12 Ruby Princess Eastern Carribbean
2013 Carnival Splendor Eastern Carribbean

Old April 1st, 2011, 02:17 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Don't forget to pack your coffee card that you've been using since 1992. Just be careful with it. That paper is getting pretty dang brittle!

Celebration, 1998
Carnival Destiny, 1999
Carnival Destiny, 2000
RCCL Serenade of the Seas, 2004
Crown Princess, 2007
Carnival Fantasy, 2008
Ruby Princess, 2008
Carnival Sensation (Abbie), 2009
Carnival Fantasy, 2009
Caribbean Princess, 2009
Carnival Triumph, 2010
Emerald Princess, 2010
Golden Princess (Alaska), 2011
RCCL Voyager of the Seas, 2011
NCL Spirit, 2012
Emerald Princess, 2012
Carnival Freedom (Girls' Trip), 2013
NCL Sun, 2013
NCL Jewel, 2014
Celebrity Summit, 2014
RCCL Oasis of the Seas, 2015

Old April 1st, 2011, 03:01 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfk68 View Post
I guess he had just as much time in his life to make up the "dribble" as you have in your life to read and comment in the "dribble"
I never got past line two.

Old April 1st, 2011, 03:11 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1A View Post

Can anyone tell me what I am forgetting?
Coffee Card, Soda Card, Chef's table, Ultimate Ship Tour.

It's important that a new thread be started each day,
to keep from taxing the search facility.

And, what's all this about tipping?

Old April 1st, 2011, 03:12 PM
Cool Cruiser

LOL I love it!

Previous Cruises

February 26th, 2012 - Carnival Splendor - 7 Night Mexican Riveria
February 26th, 2011 - Crown Princess - 7 Night Western Carribean
April 3, 2010 - Sapphire Princess - 7 Night Mexican Riveria

Old April 1st, 2011, 03:12 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfk68 View Post
Do you mean drivel?

Old April 1st, 2011, 03:14 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Why not just bring that "8 day old son" along, put a swim diaper on him and take him into one of the hot tubs (he'll love the warm water) or adult swimming pools. And probably with him along you can get priority tendering, just cut in line ahead of everyone else.
There comes a time in life, when you walk away from all the drama and people who create it. You surround yourself with people who make you laugh, forget the bad, and focus on the good. So, love the people who treat you right. Think good thoughts for the ones who don't. Life is too short to be anything but happy.

Crown 93, Star 94, Regal 95, Sun 96, Crown 97, Dawn 98, Dawn 99, Sun 2000, Dawn 01, Grand 02, Coral 03, Star 03, Sun 04, Star 05, Caribbean Princess 07, Emerald 08, RCCL LOS 08 , Emerald 09, Ruby 10, Ruby 10, Emerald 11, HAL Ms Westerdam B2B 2012, HAL Ms Noordam 13, HAL Ms Noordam 14, Carnival Fantasy 14

Old April 1st, 2011, 03:34 PM
Cool Cruiser

What a wonderful April Fools post. Happy Cruiser- why do you want to be a killjoy. I mean, someone has to suck all of the fun out of everything.

Old April 1st, 2011, 03:42 PM
Cool Cruiser

Don't forget your crock pot! Also, bring a bunch of candles to give the room some nice ambiance.

Oh, and when you're getting off the ship, especially on the last day, make sure to hit the buffet beforehand so you can grab a bunch of fruit and snacks to take with you for munching while you're on the way to the airport. Bring a small tote bag with you, and stock up!

Cruise Resume:
Crown Princess 2.22.09 - Eastern Caribbean
Carnival Paradise 7.31.09 - Baja Mexico
NCL EPIC 7.2.10 - Nowhere
NCL Pearl 10.30.11 Western Caribbean
Crown Princess 12.3.11 Southern Caribbean
NCL EPIC 11.24.12 Bahamas & Eastern Caribbean

Old April 1st, 2011, 03:43 PM
10,000+ Club

I hate April 1..

Future Cruises: Star Princess September 2013 & January 2014, Golden Princess August 2014
Completed Cruises: Coral Princess (11),
Star Princess (5), Regal Princess (old) (5), Golden Princess (4), Caribbean Princess (4), Dawn Princess (3), Grand Princess (3), Sky Princess (2), Fairwind (2), Ruby Princess (1), Sapphire Princess (1), Island Princess (1), Fair Princess (1)

Old April 1st, 2011, 03:45 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 HappyCruiser View Post
I never got past line two.
How do you know it's all drivel?

Old April 1st, 2011, 03:46 PM
Cool Cruiser

Wonderful post thanks for the good laugh......Happy April Fool's Day to you.