Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Holland America Line

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Holland America Line
Read thousands of Holland America Cruise Reviews from real cruisers and compare the best Holland America Cruise Deals

How to Organize a Cruise Critic Meet & Mingle (Meet & Greet) on Board Your Holland America Cruise

NEW! Find Your HOLLAND AMERICA Roll Call

Old April 13th, 2011, 02:59 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thumbs down watch for additional charges on your credit card when you get home!

We had a wonderful cruise on the Noordam March 8-18. My surprise was when I looked at my credit card statement and was charged more than my final statement.

Now, it isn't much, $6.27 to be exact.
And I know that we didn't have any drinks or coffee drinks or purchases the last day/evening after they might have done the account statement.
We didn't take anything from the mini-bar, but there was no charge sheet or inventory sheet in the cabin for the mini bar (from the first day onward) so we don't know if anything was missing at any time during our stay.

It certainly is not enough money to call and complain about - and there really is nothing we can do. Just hope our cabin steward enjoyed eating or drinking that item that cost us $6.37.

I assume it was our steward because he was not one of the better cabin stewards we ever had - I had to call housekeeping to ask for Robes and a bar of soap on the second day of the cruise - in the late afternoon. (we had one bar of soap for a cabin with two sinks, a tub & a shower...)

I'm assuming it is from the mini-bar, since there is a statement that any mini bar charges incurred on the last day on board will be added to the account and charged to the credit card.

So, don't be surprised if you see some minor additions to the credit card bill that you weren't expecting. Maybe in the future (If we do cruise again, just cruised-out) we will demand an inventory of the mini bar (or removal of all contents) on our first day - not something we want to do, since we know they are all working extremely hard on embarkation day.

Past cruises: NCL Majesty (Boston-Bermuda) 9/99, 6/03, 9/05; NCL Norway (Eastern Carribean) 1/01; NCL Sky (Pacific Coastal ) 4/02; Sea Dream 1 (inaugaral transatlantic crossing Lisbon-FLL) 10/02; NCL Dawn Bahamas (RT NYC) 12/03; Celebrity Millennium Panama Canal(San Diego-FLL) 4/04; Island Princess (LA-Hawaii-LA) 2/05; Regal Princess (Santiago-FLL) 3/06; HAL Noordam Eastern Carribean (RT NYC) 10/06; Tahitian Princess Marquesas (RT Papeete)1/07; HAL Noordam Carribean(RT NYC) 11/10/07; HAL Rotterdam 3/3/08 Rio - Valpariaso; NCL Spirit Boston -Bermuda 8/14/09; Azamara Quest Singapore-Hong Kong 2/20/2010; March 8 2011 Hal Noordam; Regent Navigator Tropics November 18, 2011 , Regent Seven Seas Mariner Athens-Istanbul 7/8/2013

Ad Sponsored By
Old April 13th, 2011, 03:05 PM
Cool Cruiser

I think you should contact HAL even if it's a small amount and ask them to explain as it bothered you enough to post it here.

I don't really think it's fair to blame the cabin steward when you really have no idea where the charge came from.

Just my 2 cents...

My blog - https://foxyterrier.wordpress.com

Future cruises
Royal Caribbean Quantum of the Seas - Caribbean - New Years Eve Cruise

Past cruises
Noordam - Lisbon to Rome - 2001
Rymdam - Alaska - 2002
Maasdam - Western Caribbean - 2003
Noordam - Baltics - 2004
Zuiderdam - Eastern Caribbean - 2005
Noordam - Greek Isles - 2006
Westerdam - Eastern Caribbean - 2007
Oosterdam - Mexican Riveria - 2008
Zuiderdam - Panama Canal - 2009
Noordam - Western Caribbean - 2010
Veendam - Bermuda - May 8, 2011
Celebrity Summit - Bermuda - July 8, 2012
Royal Caribbean Explorer of the Seas - Caribbean - March 15, 2013
Queen Mary - New England/Canada - October 15, 2013

Old April 13th, 2011, 03:11 PM
Cool Cruiser

Hi Joni-
I appreciate your opinion. And you are correct, it's not really fair to blame my cabin steward; it could have been a misdirected charge (wrong cabin #, etc.).

If it was a larger dollar amount (say $25.00) I would contact HAL. For this amount, I don't want to spend an hour or more on the telephone with various representatives - who may or may not be able to pull up records from a cruise that ended almost a month ago. I feel my time is worth more.

BUT, I wanted to make sure that other people are aware that there may be charges against their credit card AFTER they leave the ship and think they are all paid up; and they could be larger than the small amount I experienced. It's worth checking your credit card after you get home for additional charges. I didn't - I waited until I got my statement.

I posted this as an FYI to other cruisers, just in case.

Beth

Past cruises: NCL Majesty (Boston-Bermuda) 9/99, 6/03, 9/05; NCL Norway (Eastern Carribean) 1/01; NCL Sky (Pacific Coastal ) 4/02; Sea Dream 1 (inaugaral transatlantic crossing Lisbon-FLL) 10/02; NCL Dawn Bahamas (RT NYC) 12/03; Celebrity Millennium Panama Canal(San Diego-FLL) 4/04; Island Princess (LA-Hawaii-LA) 2/05; Regal Princess (Santiago-FLL) 3/06; HAL Noordam Eastern Carribean (RT NYC) 10/06; Tahitian Princess Marquesas (RT Papeete)1/07; HAL Noordam Carribean(RT NYC) 11/10/07; HAL Rotterdam 3/3/08 Rio - Valpariaso; NCL Spirit Boston -Bermuda 8/14/09; Azamara Quest Singapore-Hong Kong 2/20/2010; March 8 2011 Hal Noordam; Regent Navigator Tropics November 18, 2011 , Regent Seven Seas Mariner Athens-Istanbul 7/8/2013

Old April 13th, 2011, 03:11 PM
Cool Cruiser

Could be a minor port charge/tax adjustment.

Old April 13th, 2011, 03:19 PM
5,000+ Club

We had a charge on our bill that was not ours. The people evidently had put the wrong cabin # on their slip. It can happen. It was taken off with no problem.

I was sympathetic until you automatically blamed your cabin steward with no evidence. There is no history at all reported on CC of cabin stewards causing charges on pax bills and this incorrect charge could have come from anyone of a number of places. Very unfair.

Old April 13th, 2011, 03:27 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by makai 7 View Post
BUT, I wanted to make sure that other people are aware that there may be charges against their credit card AFTER they leave the ship and think they are all paid up; and they could be larger than the small amount I experienced. It's worth checking your credit card after you get home for additional charges. I didn't - I waited until I got my statement.

I posted this as an FYI to other cruisers, just in case.
You should always check your credit card charges and not only after a cruise. A friend check hers after eating at a restaurnat, they had left cash for the tip and paid for the food with the credit card. My friend discovered that an additional $15 was added to the charge even though my friend crossed out the tip line and specifically wrote down the total that should have been charged to the credit card.

Old April 13th, 2011, 03:30 PM
Cool Cruiser

OKAY, Okay - I was wrong to say the cabin steward enjoyed something from our mini-bar. But it is possible- since he was a VERY POOR cabin steward. I'm not going to go into detail, since it really isn't my point.

My point was to make other people aware to look at their credit card statements carefully - that is all.

So - I take back my comment about the steward.

Old April 13th, 2011, 03:44 PM
10,000+ Club

I've complained about this much before. All I had to do is send an email. If it would cause me an hour on the phone I wouldn't have done it. My time is more valuable. It's a bit long ago to complain to HAL now.....but you might try.

cruzchic2 at yahoo dot ca

4 Star mariner on HAL/Elite on Princess

Old April 13th, 2011, 03:49 PM
Cool Cruiser

Could it have been for in in room beverage/snack or bottles of water that you were never charged for? Just a thought because this is exactly what happened on our last cruise. Was a weird amount like yours, but on our final statement we were never charged for the two bottles we consumed. Worked out to the penny when I realized that is what had happened.

I believe there is another "department" that stocks and keeps track of in room purchases. I know in the past we have had someone other than the room steward restocking these items.

ellbelle1atyahoodotcom

Upcoming:
Princess-Star Princess California Coastal
Celebrity-Equinox Caribbean
Celebrity-Infinity Panama Canal

Old April 13th, 2011, 04:00 PM
Cool Cruiser

We were still in our cabin when a crew person - not one of our cabin stewards - came in to inventory the mini bar. He was really rushing!

We had one cruise where mini bar charges appeared (2 sodas, I think) early on (I had gotten an early bill because of multiple cabin issues). They took off the charges when I disputed them with no problem. On that same cruise, a crew member came in the day before disembarkation, inventoried and locked the mini bar. Hee.

Anyway, not AT ALL surprised that mistakes get made!

Old April 13th, 2011, 04:02 PM
Cool Cruiser

This is some good advice. I have never double checked. But having discovered it, no matter how small the charge was, I believe my curiosity would have gotten the better of me to find out what the charge was for.

Old April 13th, 2011, 04:04 PM
20,000+ Club

Quote:
OKAY, Okay - I was wrong to say the cabin steward enjoyed something from our mini-bar.

So - I take back my comment about the steward.
Good - because your cabin steward doesn't take care of the mini-bar. That is done by a bar steward/ess who comes around to restock items and charge for any used.

We were charged for a bottle of water we didn't use. We knew it before we got off the ship, but it wasn't worth the wait through a long line to have it removed.
AMSTERDAM 2641 Alaska 7/02 | WESTERDAM 8010 Baltic 9/05 | NOORDAM 7124 Western Mediterranean 6/06 | VEENDAM 712 Western Caribbean 12/06 | Sovereign of the Seas 6556 Bahamas 4/07 | STATENDAM 394 Alaska Cruise-Tour 9/07 | ZUIDERDAM 8021 Eastern Caribbean 12/07 | AMSTERDAM 3385 Panama Canal transit 4/08 | EURODAM 4130 Bahamas 10/08 | NOORDAM 8009 Southern Caribbean 12/08 | NOORDAM 4178 Southern Caribbean 12/09 | NIEUW AMSTERDAM 8057 Eastern Mediterranean 9/10 | RYNDAM 394 Western Caribbean 12/10 | VEENDAM 418 Bermuda 10/11 | MAASDAM 404 3/12 | PRINSENDAM 303 Trans-Atlantic 5/13 | Disney Dream 10508 Bahamas 11/13

Last edited by jtl513; April 13th, 2011 at 04:08 PM.

Old April 13th, 2011, 07:09 PM
20,000+ Club

If it is of concern, I would definitely send an email to HAL. I keep careful records on our cruise and compare it to the statement so that I know everything is accounted for. They can miss things and catch up. Mistakes can also happen.

an email doesn't take much longer than posting here and would at least put your mind at ease (if it isn't too late).

send your cabin pics/HAL info to pictures@halfacts.com

visit YOUR website at http://halfacts.com for HAL cabin pics & info.

Prinsendam 30 day Med & Black Sea Explorer spreadsheet

The Sail a Way Gang's Westerdam Panama Canal Spreadsheet

Old April 13th, 2011, 07:12 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
We had a wonderful cruise on the Noordam March 8-18. My surprise was when I looked at my credit card statement and was charged more than my final statement.

And I know that we didn't have any drinks or coffee drinks or purchases the last day/evening after they might have done the account statement.
We didn't take anything from the mini-bar, but there was no charge sheet or inventory sheet in the cabin for the mini bar (from the first day onward) so we don't know if anything was missing at any time during our stay.

It certainly is not enough money to call and complain about - and there really is nothing we can do. Just hope our cabin steward enjoyed eating or drinking that item that cost us $6.37.

I assume it was our steward because he was not one of the better cabin stewards we ever had - I had to call housekeeping to ask for Robes and a bar of soap on the second day of the cruise - in the late afternoon. (we had one bar of soap for a cabin with two sinks, a tub & a shower...)

I'm assuming it is from the mini-bar, since there is a statement that any mini bar charges incurred on the last day on board will be added to the account and charged to the credit card.

So, don't be surprised if you see some minor additions to the credit card bill that you weren't expecting. Maybe in the future (If we do cruise again, just cruised-out) we will demand an inventory of the mini bar (or removal of all contents) on our first day - not something we want to do, since we know they are all working extremely hard on embarkation day.
Instead of presuming it's mini-bar and assuming guilt of your steward, call HAL and ask them what it's for. You'll probably find out it is a HAL 'fee' that increased and was booked to your shipboard account.
If you re-read your contract you'll find that sometimes fees increase and this is passed on to the passengers, just as a reduction in fees is passed on as a small credit.

HAL 2- Star Mariner

NCL PLATINUM

NCL Star - Oct 2013 Panama Canal
NCL Star - Oct 2013. Transatlantic

NCL Sun - Oct 2010; Western Caribbean
NCL Sun - Oct 2010; Transatlantic
NCL Sun - Sept 2010; Norway, Iceland, Faroes, Lerwick, Scotland, Ireland

HAL Amsterdam - May 2010, 14 day Alaska

NCL Jewel - 2008 Transatlantic/British Isles
Celebrity Century -2007 British Isles
Oceania Regatta - 2007 Transatlantic to Marseille France
HAL Zaandam - 2006 Hawaii
NCL Sun - 2006 Panama Canal
NCL Sea - 2005 Cozumel, Belize, Roatan
Radisson [Regent] Diamond - 2005 Around the Boot of Italy
Oceania Insignia - 2005 Transatlantic to Rio de Janeiro
RCI Empress of the Seas - 2004 Soutther Caribbean
Celebrity Milennium - 2004 Transatlantic
Carnival Imagination - 2003 Grand Cayman & Ocho Rios Jamaica
NCL Majesty - 2000 Mexican Riviera
Carnival Ecstasy - 2000 Bahamas
RCI Nordic Empress (before remodel to Empress of the Seas - 1999 Eastern Caribbean

Old April 13th, 2011, 07:17 PM
Cool Cruiser

We never use anything from mini bars...we always have our own drinks we bring with us or buy elsewhere. Is there a way we can asked to have the stuff removed from the mini bar so we don't have to worry about it and can use the space for our own drinks?

Old April 13th, 2011, 08:09 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Contact Info

If anyone is interested email address for billing

onboardaccounts@hollandamerica.com

Will need
Booking Number
Ship
Departure date
Cabin number

Old April 13th, 2011, 08:21 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver sailor View Post
If anyone is interested email address for billing

onboardaccounts@hollandamerica.com

Will need
Booking Number
Ship
Departure date
Cabin number
Thanks! That's good to have and keep in case of a problem. Fortunately, none yet!

Old April 13th, 2011, 08:41 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtl513 View Post
Good - because your cabin steward doesn't take care of the mini-bar. That is done by a bar steward/ess who comes around to restock items and charge for any used.

We were charged for a bottle of water we didn't use
. We knew it before we got off the ship, but it wasn't worth the wait through a long line to have it removed.
This has happen to us. We drink ship water and after a tour we came back to room and a large bottle of water(second one to the stock) had been added & a bill had been left -- called room service & said an error had been made - they came and got it and credit was made.

We were luckly as this was in the middle of the cruise.

Ray

JOANN & RAY
421 nights at sea w/5 lines since 2000.

Some HAL Last cruises:
HAL - Zuiderdam - TransAtlantic 18 days-FLL to Rome - 3/8/08
HAL - Prinsendam - Grand South America & Antarctic - 68 days - 1/2/09
HAL - Westerdam - Fall Panama Canal - 21 days - 9/27/09
HAL - Massdam - Voyage of the Vikings - 35 days - 7/17/10
HAL - Amsterdam - Grand Asia & Australia - 70 days - 9/26/11
HAL - Massdam - Atlantic Coast Cruise - 15 day - 4/27/12
BOOKED
HAL - Amsterdam - Grand Pacific & Asia - 75 day - 9/20/13

Old April 13th, 2011, 08:56 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxout View Post
Could be a minor port charge/tax adjustment.
This may indeed be the case; port taxes/charges change often. A few weeks after we got home from our Ryndam cruise in Feb., we found a $12 or so credit to our credit card, from HAL Seattle. I had occasion then to call HAL to make a payment on an upcoming cruise, and used the opportunity to ask about the credit. The rep said "hold on" and came back a short time later and said it was indeed a change to port taxes/fees, which HAL had paid to the credit card to which we charged our onboard account.

I agree with others -- if it bothers you (not so much for the money, but if you are like me, just wanting to know why), call HAL and just ask.

Dave
NCL Seaward 3/95 (3-day Bahamas); Noordam (old) 3/96 (7-day W. Carib); Westerdam (old) 10/96 (7-day E. Carib); Statendam 2/98 (10-day S. Carib); Veendam 2/99 (7-day W Carib); Costa Atlantica 6/01 (7-day Aegean); Noordam (old) 2/03 (14-day E/W/S Carib); Maasdam 1/04 (11-day W Carib); Maasdam 2/05 (10-day E Carib); Queen Mary II 5/06 (6-day TA); Westerdam 2/07 (7-day S Carib); Westerdam 3/07 (7-day E Carib); Noordam 10/07 (20-day Panama Canal); Noordam 10/08 (14-day W Med, TA); Westerdam 3/09 (7-day W Carib, blog: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=943874); Eurodam 8/09 (16-day Northern TA, blog: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1039651); Noordam 2-3/10 (20-day S/E Carib Collectors Cruise, blog: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1143462); Ryndam 2/11 (14-day W Carib Collectors Cruise, blog: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1353835); Eurodam 8-9/11 (17-day Northern TA, blog: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1468674); Maasdam 2/12 (11-day S. Carib., blog: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1566239); Noordam 2/13 (11-day S. Carib Wayfarer, blog: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1791792); Eurodam 8-9/13 (16-day Northern TA, blog: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1904162); Ryndam 2-3/14 (14-day S. Carib, blog: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1990705).

"my purpose holds To sail beyond the sunset, and the baths Of all the western stars, until I die." Alfred, Lord Tennyson "Ulysses"

Old April 13th, 2011, 08:57 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Just a tip or two to...

Quote:

...avoid overcharges on your cruise on-board account.

1. Mini-bar items can be placed in the desk stool or cabinet by the cabin couch on embarkation day and then placed back on the desk / cabinet / cooler (depending on the ship) prior to debarking. We often need the space for other items and, thus, we do so.

2. For any cruise, whether it be only for 10 days or 30+ days I go to the front desk and ask for a print out of my on-board account charges on a weekly basis (or for the shorter cruises every 5 days or so).

I've only had 2-3 problems for minor amounts over the past 20+ years with HAL. BTW, when I do find an error the good folks at the front desk have been more then accomodating and my bill has been adjusted with no problemo.

3. If there was any major problems I would certainly dispute it with your credit card company (and do so in 60 days or you loss the dispute due to a "staue of limitations" on charge card disputes, as it were). I've used this remedy for airlines and hotels only in so far as travel-related expenses goes over the past few years.

4. And has been mentioned, contact HAL for accounting problems you may or may not have incurred. I doubt your cabin steward is responsible for any additional charges but then again, I'm a cock-eyed optimist.

Be well and don't fret about six buck. Life's too short.

Bon Voyage & Good Health!
Bob

Latest Travel Pix: 28 DAY Oosterdam Pacific Crossing
https://picasaweb.google.com/prescottbob412