Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Azamara Club Cruises

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Azamara Club Cruises
Find Your Azamara Club Cruises Roll Call

Old April 18th, 2011, 04:39 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jade13 View Post
They can't explain it.
I was giving them the benefit of the doubt ... but their lack of an explanation speaks volumes. Perhaps it's in the works.

~~~~Azamara Quest-Ancient Empires 2008~~~~Xpedition-Galapagos 2006~~~~Millennium-Med 2005 (Review)~~~~
~~~~Zenith-Bermuda 2003 & 2005~~~~Radiance-Alaska 2003~~~~Cunard-Baltic 2000~~~~

Old April 18th, 2011, 04:57 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan-M View Post
I was giving them the benefit of the doubt ... but their lack of an explanation speaks volumes. Perhaps it's in the works.
It's hard to give someone the benefit of the doubt when you don't have one.

Old April 18th, 2011, 10:39 PM
10,000+ Club

This is awful, how can they, in good conscience, lure you into booking under one condition and then totally pull then rug out?? And what kind of reflection is this on their parent company? Personally, I'd be running in the other direction. This is a line without a rudder or a captain.
April 15...Hawaii Land trip
Oct 15...Celebrity Equinox. Spain & Portugal cruise
May 16...Santorini and Crete Land trip

Hawaii - VCR Celebrity Solstice 2014/Paris Land Trip/Hawaii Land Trip X 2 - 2013/Grand Med. - Ruby Princess/South of France 2012/Hawaii - Land Trip 2012/Hawaii - Land Trip - 2011/Panama Canal and Florida Keys - Coral Princess - 2011/Eastern Caribbean - Ruby Princess - 2010/France 3 Week Land Trip - Burgundy/Loire/Normandy/French Riviera/Provence 2010/Mexican Riviera - Sapphire Princess 2009/Coastal - Sapphire Princess 2009/Alaska - Voyage of the Glaciers - Zuiderdam - 2009/Greek Islands cruise + Monaco and Paris by land - Grand Princess - 2008/Land Trip - Maui - 2008/3 Week Land - Paris to Rome - 2007/Hawaii - Pride of America - 2007/14 Day Caribbean - Sea Princess - 2006/Coastal - Dawn Princess - 2006/Barcelona to Venice - Millennium - 2005/UK & Ireland - Land Trip - 2004/AI Mexican Riviera -2003/Coastal - Island Princess - 2002/Maui - Land Trip x 2/Alaska - Dawn Princess - 2001/UK Land Trip x 3/11 Day Circle the Caribbean - Splendour of the Seas - 2000/Mexican Riviera - Rhapsody of the Seas - 1999/2 Week Land Bermuda - Girls Trip - 1997/Married - Maui - 1997

Old April 19th, 2011, 10:59 AM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruise Junky View Post
This is awful, how can they, in good conscience, lure you into booking under one condition and then totally pull then rug out??
In good conscience you don't do things like this. But I feel that rather than an intentional lack of good conscience, it is a case of unintentional administrative disfunction.

That's why an explanation from Bill would be helpful here. This isn't a concern of one individual ... it affects many; both those directly affected by the 'bait and switch', and those of us who wonder if we can trust Azamara if we do book with them.

~~~~Azamara Quest-Ancient Empires 2008~~~~Xpedition-Galapagos 2006~~~~Millennium-Med 2005 (Review)~~~~
~~~~Zenith-Bermuda 2003 & 2005~~~~Radiance-Alaska 2003~~~~Cunard-Baltic 2000~~~~

Last edited by Susan-M; April 19th, 2011 at 11:09 AM.

Old April 19th, 2011, 11:30 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Well said Susan M

Old April 19th, 2011, 11:35 AM
Cool Cruiser

emel
I don't know where you are coming from! I book a cruise costing $15,000+++ and it becomes MY responsibility to make sure that the initial offer does not change after I give them my deposit. I don't think so.

SAILED
Azamara Journey Norwegian Fjords June 2014
Viking Mandalay Bangkok-Mayanmar-Bangkok January 2014
Uniworld River Queen Budapest- Amsterdam August 2013
Regent Seven Seas Mariner Athens- Barcelona Oct 2011
Azamara Quest Singapore-Hong Kong January 2011
Viking Fontane Cities of Light July 2010
Oceania Regatta Baltic June 2008
NCL Pride of America Hawaii March 2006

Old April 19th, 2011, 09:43 PM
Cool Cruiser

I have been watching this for several days in hopes that AZ would make good on their promises. We have booked on Quest for 2/1/2012 sailing Singapore to Hong Kong with the 50% off shorex. I, too, have saved my promo...it's the same one several of you have posted. We had planned to make some of our arrangements independently since this is a bucket list trip for us but are very disappointed that AZ has reneged on an offer that prompted us to book early.
We have sailed once previously on AZ and absolutely loved it. I wanted to feel that way about this cruise, but now feel cheated.

Old April 19th, 2011, 10:11 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickypicky View Post
I have been watching this for several days in hopes that AZ would make good on their promises. We have booked on Quest for 2/1/2012 sailing Singapore to Hong Kong with the 50% off shorex. I, too, have saved my promo...it's the same one several of you have posted. We had planned to make some of our arrangements independently since this is a bucket list trip for us but are very disappointed that AZ has reneged on an offer that prompted us to book early.
We have sailed once previously on AZ and absolutely loved it. I wanted to feel that way about this cruise, but now feel cheated.
pickypicky, where did you see this promo for 50% off pre-booked Shore Excursions for Asia 2012? The only promotion that I have seen was for Europe 2011. I have never seen anything on Azamara's website or promotional materials for either 2012, or Asia. Azamara did extend the offer by a couple of cruises starting with Quest from either Singapore or Dubai to Athens in 2011, actually this week. (I have a theory about that and would not be surprised if it was only done initially because of computer error, as it was never advertised).

Old April 19th, 2011, 10:37 PM
Cool Cruiser

You posted it on 4/14, from Bill dated 12/23...mine is the same. There is no exclusion of Asia nor a deadline. Let me know if there's something I'm missing?
We have booked air and are not looking for an upgrade, just for AZ to stick to what they advertised.

Old April 19th, 2011, 10:48 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickypicky View Post
You posted it on 4/14, from Bill dated 12/23...mine is the same. There is no exclusion of Asia nor a deadline. Let me know if there's something I'm missing?
We have booked air and are not looking for an upgrade, just for AZ to stick to what they advertised.
It also talks about excluding the Rio Grandprix, so it's definitely not just aimed at Europe
April 15...Hawaii Land trip
Oct 15...Celebrity Equinox. Spain & Portugal cruise
May 16...Santorini and Crete Land trip

Hawaii - VCR Celebrity Solstice 2014/Paris Land Trip/Hawaii Land Trip X 2 - 2013/Grand Med. - Ruby Princess/South of France 2012/Hawaii - Land Trip 2012/Hawaii - Land Trip - 2011/Panama Canal and Florida Keys - Coral Princess - 2011/Eastern Caribbean - Ruby Princess - 2010/France 3 Week Land Trip - Burgundy/Loire/Normandy/French Riviera/Provence 2010/Mexican Riviera - Sapphire Princess 2009/Coastal - Sapphire Princess 2009/Alaska - Voyage of the Glaciers - Zuiderdam - 2009/Greek Islands cruise + Monaco and Paris by land - Grand Princess - 2008/Land Trip - Maui - 2008/3 Week Land - Paris to Rome - 2007/Hawaii - Pride of America - 2007/14 Day Caribbean - Sea Princess - 2006/Coastal - Dawn Princess - 2006/Barcelona to Venice - Millennium - 2005/UK & Ireland - Land Trip - 2004/AI Mexican Riviera -2003/Coastal - Island Princess - 2002/Maui - Land Trip x 2/Alaska - Dawn Princess - 2001/UK Land Trip x 3/11 Day Circle the Caribbean - Splendour of the Seas - 2000/Mexican Riviera - Rhapsody of the Seas - 1999/2 Week Land Bermuda - Girls Trip - 1997/Married - Maui - 1997

Old April 20th, 2011, 01:52 AM
Chief Blogging Officer
Azamara Club Cruises

Quote:
In good conscience you don't do things like this. But I feel that rather than an intentional lack of good conscience, it is a case of unintentional administrative disfunction.

That's why an explanation from Bill would be helpful here. This isn't a concern of one individual ... it affects many; both those directly affected by the 'bait and switch', and those of us who wonder if we can trust Azamara if we do book with them.
Hello Susan-M and all of you:

I’m sorry for not responding to you sooner in this conversation about your deep disappointment about how we communicated the expiration of our “Azamara Land Discovery 50% Savings Promotion on March 31, 2011.”

In some of my earlier posts on other forums, I shared with you my preference to avoid posting information in a piece-meal fashion on Cruise Critic so that I could have the time to gather more information from management. I thought that a “complete” reply detailing our communication plan would be more meaningful than just a part of the response. I can see after reading about your accelerated drop in your confidence and trust in our shoreside operation that I was very wrong to do so. From now on, I’ll let you know up-front that I’m checking for more information and that I will get back to all of you. It was very upsetting for me to realize that I was exacerbating your frustration and for doing that I apologize.

It seems that most of you could understand and accept our decision to change our policy, but were dismayed by the way in which we communicated this change to you. I included Susan-M’s comment in my reply because of her diagnosis that our problem was “a case of unintentional administrative dysfunction.” Fortunately we’re aware that our “symptoms” sometimes create discomfort for our guests, but we’re working on treating the underlying “connectivity” problem.

I will get back to you with the communication schedule that we used to communicate this policy change along with any other information that I might learn. Regardless of what it states, the very fact that I'm writing this means that our plan did not perform as well as we thought. Simply stated, we made a mistake.

At the risk of being tarred and feathered, I will reiterate once again that Larry Pimentel and his team understand that there is much to improve in our shoreside operation if we truly want to fulfill our goal to provide a “seamless” quality Azamara experience on both land and sea. Recently I read a comment by Gen. David Petraeus about Afghanistan saying that “hard isn’t impossible” and I immediately thought of Azamara's internal operation presenting that same type of challenge in improving its functionality so that it operates more efficiently. It will be hard –but we will persist in that endeavor. I respectfully ask you not to give up on us. Sometimes the best of lines do wrong things.

Sincerely,

Bill Leiber

Old April 20th, 2011, 03:31 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Leiber View Post
It seems that most of you could understand and accept our decision to change our policy, but were dismayed by the way in which we communicated this change to you. I included Susan-M’s comment in my reply because of her diagnosis that our problem was “a case of unintentional administrative dysfunction.” Fortunately we’re aware that our “symptoms” sometimes create discomfort for our guests, but we’re working on treating the underlying “connectivity” problem.

I will get back to you with the communication schedule that we used to communicate this policy change along with any other information that I might learn. Regardless of what it states, the very fact that I'm writing this means that our plan did not perform as well as we thought. Simply stated, we made a mistake.

Sincerely,

Bill Leiber
Bill,

I understand a change in policy if it applies to new customers who booked AFTER the change was announced/published officially (& NOT on these boards). However unless this change was communicated directly to EVERY customer that had already booked under the original policy (and this assumes then that Azamara DID change their mind!), Azamara should be honouring the original promotion for those who had already booked.

As mentioned in this thread I actually have an email direct from Azamara telling me that there was NO deadline & that I could book up to 4 days in advance of departure (ie in Sept). I do not see how legally you can backtrack from that one.

Has Sailed:
Azamara Journey - Istanbul to Athens - June 2013
Azamara Quest - Italy & Adriatic - Sep 2011
Celebrity - Eclipse - Cork mini-cruise - May 2011
Fred Olsen - Braemar - Norwegian Fjords May 2010

Old April 20th, 2011, 06:01 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

I have no direct email but I took Bill at his word thought I needed no confirmation.
The amount wont make or break me but I just feel used .. which isnt nice.

Old April 20th, 2011, 07:43 AM
Cool Cruiser

I think the problem many of us are feeling that have been on AZ and returned to book further cruises is...

We saw how hard thecrew members and officers worked onboard to make our cruise phenomenal.

We disembarked our cruise with the desire to return to AZ based on our onboard ship experience.

and then the reality of the shoreside incompetence hits us.

The love, support and TRUST we had in the AZ product has now been significantly compromised.

Whether its this promotion and how it was handled or the Choice Air or failing to notify direct bookers of significant itinerary changes.

Excuses get old.

Then they become unbelievable and then we just cross AZ off the list of cruiselines to consider.

The executives at AZ have so much experience, they KNOW how to run a cruiseline...

We've begun to wonder what is really going on behind the scenes. Because the "mistakes" that AZ has been making should not be happening by executives with the backgrounds they collectively have.

Old April 20th, 2011, 08:19 AM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Leiber View Post
Simply stated, we made a mistake.

Sincerely,

Bill Leiber
Thank you for responding and acknowledging that a mistake was made by Azamara. I trust this means that Azamara will have the integrity to make their 'wrong' a 'right', and honour the terms of the original offer for those who are affected.

Looking forward to your update,

Susan

Old April 20th, 2011, 08:25 AM
Cool Cruiser

These are my responses when I contacted Azamara re their previous email stating there was no deadline:

Quote:
The offer for 50% discount on excursions ended on the 31st March. You will still be able to book excursions through us on the phone depending on your sail date.
When I queried if I could book at the discount by telephone:

Quote:
I'm sorry if you misunderstood what I wrote last e-mail, the offer has now
closed, all I meant was, that if you need help booking any excursions, you
can call us. With regard to the rest of your e-mail and what has been
written in the past I will forward your concerns to a higher authority.
Am not holding my breath...

Has Sailed:
Azamara Journey - Istanbul to Athens - June 2013
Azamara Quest - Italy & Adriatic - Sep 2011
Celebrity - Eclipse - Cork mini-cruise - May 2011
Fred Olsen - Braemar - Norwegian Fjords May 2010

Old April 20th, 2011, 08:37 AM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by zennor View Post

Am not holding my breath...
Have faith in the "higher authority" ... I don't think they would have publicly admitted their mistake without planning to remedy it.

Just to add, I hope that their idea of a remedy isn't limited to correcting their "connectivity issues".... per Bill's post, "Fortunately we’re aware that our “symptoms” sometimes create discomfort for our guests, but we’re working on treating the underlying “connectivity” problem."

Susan

Last edited by Susan-M; April 20th, 2011 at 08:40 AM.

Old April 20th, 2011, 08:48 AM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Have faith in the "higher authority" ... I don't think they would have publicly admitted their mistake without planning to remedy it.

Just to add, I hope that their idea of a remedy isn't limited to correcting their "connectivity issues".... per Bill's post, "Fortunately we’re aware that our “symptoms” sometimes create discomfort for our guests, but we’re working on treating the underlying “connectivity” problem."

Susan
Susan-M,

My impression from Bill's response was different than yours. They are not admitting any wrong regarding the specific Shore Excursions promotion that is in question.

They will show what they did to communicate their policy change.

"I will get back to you with the communication schedule that we used to communicate this policy change along with any other information that I might learn."

Old April 20th, 2011, 09:08 AM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by where2next View Post

Whether its this promotion and how it was handled or the Choice Air or failing to notify direct bookers of significant itinerary changes.
Where2next, thank you for recognizing that these various issues are all related to a marketing and communications problem at Azamara.

I was dismissed by many for bringing up a "Choice Air" issue (issue was that we were booked direct and Azamara never told us about Choice Air, a promo that was coded on our booking), resulting in us booking our own air and a cruise fare that was $2,000.00 more than if we booked through the Choice Air portal.

In reality, the problem stemmed from the same communications problem that caused Azamara to change itineraries without contacting guests in a timely manner, and this problem with the Shore Excursions promotion.

This thread would have been removed if it was seen as a single person complaint, but the shore excursions promotion involves many.

All of these issues are related to a very serious communications problem at the cruise line.

Last edited by Jade13; April 20th, 2011 at 09:10 AM.

Old April 20th, 2011, 09:24 AM
Cool Cruiser

Bill,
I neither understand nor accept that you ran a special, I booked and paid, THEN you cancelled the special. Your position is indefensible. It matters not to me how you communicated the "deadline" because excursions for my cruise in 2012 have not even been offered yet.