Taxi time in LA

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

West Coast Departures

Honolulu, Los Angeles, San Diego, San Francisco, Seattle, San Francisco, Vancouver
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 05:37 PM.
Chicago Suburbs
149 Posts
Joined Apr 2008
I can fly in and out of LAX or Long Beach. The cruise returns on Sunday morning, can anyone tell me how long the taxi ride might take going back to these 2 airports on a Sunday morning.
Canada
18,746 Posts
Joined Feb 2006
We took a cab to LGB on a quiet Sunday morning... from San Pedro we breezed through in less than 30 minutes, I'd say. It's a great little airport, much easier to navigate than LAX. I recommend it.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
~Karen

*I have fallen ill, so sadly, no more cruises.*

Already Cruised - listed not to brag, but so you can ask me a question if you'd like:
RCI - Serenade Nov 2015 S. Caribbean
Celebrity - Solstice May 2015 Alaska
RCI - Explorer Nov 2014 Repo/S. Caribbean - 40 ft. rogue wave, lifeboat damage

Princess - Grand Princess May 2014 Pacific Coastal
RCI - Serenade March 2014 - B2B W. Caribbean

RCI - Serenade Feb 2014 - Bahamas - a celebration cruise indeed!
*RCI Scandinavia 2013 - nope - cancelled due to my illness. ~ Maybe next year, God willing.
RCI - Jewel Nov 2012 - B2B Mexico
RCI - Jewel Repo Oct/Nov 2012 Boston to Tampa - Hurricane Sandy
RCI - Brilliance June/July 2011 Mediterranean
RCI - Mariner Oct/Nov 2010 Mexico
RCI - Oasis May 2010 E. Caribbean - 4 adults in one cabin; we did it!
Princess - Emerald Princess April 2009 E. Caribbean
RCI - Explorer Sept/Oct 2008 - 25th anniversary! Canada - Hurricane Kyle
RCI - Liberty August 2007 E.Caribbean - Hurricane Dean - 4 adults in one cabin; we did it!
RCI - Explorer April 2006 E.Caribbean
RCI - Vision Aug 2003 Alaska
HAL - Rotterdam - last leg of her final world cruise ever April 1995 Pacific Northwest
RCI - Viking Serenade Aug 1993 Mexico
Southern California, between Disneyland and Knott'
1,220 Posts
Joined Oct 2003
And when do we have a perfect traffic day in southern California? It takes about 25 minutes travel time to get to LAX from the Long Beach cruise terminal and 20 minutes to get to LGB. The bigger difference is the route to LAX is more prone to congestion, plus the eternal mess that exists at LAX. LGB is very small, not very modern (there is construction there right now to modernize the terminal) and much more pleasant to deal with. Taxi will be $45 (one way + tip) to the cruise terminal, flat fee. Shuttles typically run less, look around this forum for suggestions. Personally, I use www.karmel.com as though they are not s cheap as some, they give far better service than the cheap ones.
Enjoy
Ron
SoCal
2,327 Posts
Joined Feb 2004
I hope you have noticed that the above posters have given you the times for TWO different ports in "Los Angeles."

The Long Beach port generally only has Carnival, but I have recently seen a picture of a HAL ship docking there. The Los Angeles or San Pedro port handles just about everything else.

From San Pedro to either LAX/LGB is about the same distance/drive time on a Sunday morning--about 30 minutes--if there isn't anything odd going on -- like freeway closures due to construction, accidents, etc.

From Long Beach, it is again about 30 minutes to LAX, but probably 20 to LGB--again with the caveat that there isn't anything odd going on--then you are probably better going to LGB as the surface streets are a viable alternative from the port, but isn't to LAX.

But--you will be a carpool and will have the carpools available to you.
Canada
18,746 Posts
Joined Feb 2006
Originally posted by PatriciaF
I hope you have noticed that the above posters have given you the times for TWO different ports in "Los Angeles."
Originally posted by ronrythm
On another thread the OP said Carnival so I gave times from Long Beach.
And in the title of this thread, OP said "LA" so I assumed San Pedro, hence my reply.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
~Karen

*I have fallen ill, so sadly, no more cruises.*

Already Cruised - listed not to brag, but so you can ask me a question if you'd like:
RCI - Serenade Nov 2015 S. Caribbean
Celebrity - Solstice May 2015 Alaska
RCI - Explorer Nov 2014 Repo/S. Caribbean - 40 ft. rogue wave, lifeboat damage

Princess - Grand Princess May 2014 Pacific Coastal
RCI - Serenade March 2014 - B2B W. Caribbean

RCI - Serenade Feb 2014 - Bahamas - a celebration cruise indeed!
*RCI Scandinavia 2013 - nope - cancelled due to my illness. ~ Maybe next year, God willing.
RCI - Jewel Nov 2012 - B2B Mexico
RCI - Jewel Repo Oct/Nov 2012 Boston to Tampa - Hurricane Sandy
RCI - Brilliance June/July 2011 Mediterranean
RCI - Mariner Oct/Nov 2010 Mexico
RCI - Oasis May 2010 E. Caribbean - 4 adults in one cabin; we did it!
Princess - Emerald Princess April 2009 E. Caribbean
RCI - Explorer Sept/Oct 2008 - 25th anniversary! Canada - Hurricane Kyle
RCI - Liberty August 2007 E.Caribbean - Hurricane Dean - 4 adults in one cabin; we did it!
RCI - Explorer April 2006 E.Caribbean
RCI - Vision Aug 2003 Alaska
HAL - Rotterdam - last leg of her final world cruise ever April 1995 Pacific Northwest
RCI - Viking Serenade Aug 1993 Mexico
87,542 Posts
Joined Jul 2000
Originally posted by Izziebella
I can fly in and out of LAX or Long Beach. The cruise returns on Sunday morning, can anyone tell me how long the taxi ride might take going back to these 2 airports on a Sunday morning.
The issue to be careful on when planning your flights is what time you will be off the ship, and that can vary quite a bit should the ship arrive to port late or if you have a delay in the ship being cleared. If you are flying out of LAX pick a flight 1:00 PM or later.

For Long Beach you can get an earlier flight because of its proximity to the port and because the airport is far less busy than LAX.

Keith
SoCal
2,327 Posts
Joined Feb 2004
Didn't mean to insult anyone, but we do have many on these boards that are not familiar with the area and have unintentionally booked hotels, transfers, etc., for the wrong port.

While the OP may have know what port her cruise ship sailed in/out of, others that were reading this may not have.
12 Posts
Joined Jul 2007
We just came back from Carnival Paradise sailing from Long Beach. We used Payless Airport Shuttle and the ride for 3 people in a private shuttle was $59. It would have been almost $90 from Carnival. Phone 562-726-2210 or find them online at www/paylessairportshuttle.com. They will pick up at either airport, and picked us up right where they promised. Very good service.