Parking in Bayonne and the car is coated

Cruzoholic

We just returned home yesterday and did anyone else experience the coating on their vehicle parked in Bayonne. My daughter's car has this thin rough texture all over her car as if it rained down something and covered it. Also some dear baseball fan bent the antenna on the car and took her METS magnet off the back of the car (the magnet was taken after the coating as it is smooth where it was.) It was a great welcome back gift from the cruise. I thought this was a secured lot but evidently not.

Any advice or where to proceed with this. Thanks.

Evie

I thankfully have no firsthand experience with this. Though on CC, I've read about "overspray" problems at Cape Liberty. This was a few years ago and I haven't seen anything posted on it recently. Unfortunately, quite a few cruisers had their paint finish ruined while parked at the port. :( Here is a thread to get you started. You can search for more with "Cape Liberty overspray."

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1093452&highlight=overspray

I was in this lot on the 4/28 sailing and when I got home I had orange paint on the side of my car. We were able to get it off. I also had a rough texture that came off in the car wash. I assumed it was related to the salt water.

Sorry about the problem. It is most likely paint overspray from the Drydock next to the Cruise port. The dry dock keeps saying they solved the problem, and certain cc members insist the problem has gone away, but it has not. Give the dry-dock a call and explain your problem, they have taken the responsibility in the past to pay for the damages. Again sorry, I have tried to get RCI and the Parking Lot company to warn people, but no go.

We just returned home yesterday and did anyone else experience the coating on their vehicle parked in Bayonne. My daughter's car has this thin rough texture all over her car as if it rained down something and covered it. Also some dear baseball fan bent the antenna on the car and took her METS magnet off the back of the car (the magnet was taken after the coating as it is smooth where it was.) It was a great welcome back gift from the cruise. I thought this was a secured lot but evidently not.

Evie

This happened to me twice, once around 2007 and the last time after a Canada cruise in September of last year. My 2006 maroon Honda Pilot was sprayed with small white/grey dots. Called Bayonne Drydock and they said to send estimate of damage. Checked with a excellent local body/paint shop before I did anything and got a $550.00 estimate and some very good advice- I thought!!

He recommended I go thru my own insurance agency because if there was any supplemental estimate for repair it might be hard to get an additional check from Bayonne Drydock.

My insurance company authorized repair and it turned out to be a huge job. Paint spray not only covered painted surface it also ruined all my black molding which had to be replaced for $1500.

My Ins. Co. went after Bayonne Drylock for the damage and it didn't cost me a penny, I was even reimbursed for the $50 deductible. I was very satisfied with the outcome, it was basically hassle free and my vehicle was returned to mint condition.

Also, this has been an ongoing problem for years. An article discussing this very problem was published in the travel section of USA Today. GOOD LUCK with your situation.

Can you tell me where your car was parked. Was it close to the terminal building or where you pay as you enter or was it closeer to where the ship repair facility is located

I was also parked in the lot from May 12 to May 21. I also had small gray "paint dots" all over my car. I have brought it to a paint/detail place and they said it is the paint they use on ship hulls. I am going to have it repaired, but I plan on making a claim with the parking lot or whatever other facility I need to. I was extremely upset to see it on my car when we returned, as I thought the problem had been addressed.

Evidently they did it again at the parking area. They were painting and they did cover the vehicles with tarps but oops the tarps flew off. They will pay for the damage but this is something else that has to be taken care of.

Royal Caribbean better wake up and think of their guests. Brooklyn here we come. Parking is great there with no problems.

Evie

It's New Jersey! Just kidding there, but what would you expect when parking your car in a lot next to an industrial area that contains a shipyard that sandblasts and paints ships? The best course of action would be to contact your insurance company and let them get your car fixed then they can deal with the shipyard.

Evie

I had a similar experience at the Cruise Port while parking my car. The party responsible dealt with it in an amicable and fair manner and quickly expedited the situation, so even though it was a little bit of an inconvenience, the end result was fair and handled to my liking. A freind of mine who went on a cruise before me did not have the same problem as I did. Her car had been covered and when she returned it was just as she left it. It seems to be an occassional happening.

We just returned from the Summit on 5/22. No paint issues on our car, but found it strange our mirrors were both turned in and adjusted. Car has less than 8k miles, brakes were perfect when we parked, ever since the moment we drove off the lot there is a loud pulsating noise when we brake. Almost like the rotors are totally shot. I'm not a car expert, anyone know if this could be indirectly from the overspray?

We are traveling on explorer of the seas in Sept 2011. Any recommendations on where to park other than the cruise port? Any hotels that you would recommend that we stay in the night before the ship leaves that we could leave our car for the duration of the trip?

Look at trinityreservations.com for a park/sleep - price quoted includes tax. There is a number on the web site for transportation - $40 for up to 4 people. Check your roll call to find other folks to share the ride.

Also check Country Inns for a quote on park/sleep/cruise. On Staten Island look at the Hampton Inn and Hilton Gardens - free parking and free cruise shuttle.

We just returned from the Summit on 5/22. No paint issues on our car, but found it strange our mirrors were both turned in and adjusted. Car has less than 8k miles, brakes were perfect when we parked, ever since the moment we drove off the lot there is a loud pulsating noise when we brake. Almost like the rotors are totally shot. I'm not a car expert, anyone know if this could be indirectly from the overspray?

More than likely your problem stems from the lot attendants that went joyriding in your car ala "Ferris Beuller's Day Off"! :D

Archived