Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > North American Homeports > East Coast Departures

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

East Coast Departures
Baltimore, Boston, Cape Liberty, Charleston, Montreal, New York, Norfolk, & Philadelphia l

Old May 22nd, 2011, 09:21 PM
Cool Cruiser

Unhappy Parking in Bayonne and the car is coated

We just returned home yesterday and did anyone else experience the coating on their vehicle parked in Bayonne. My daughter's car has this thin rough texture all over her car as if it rained down something and covered it. Also some dear baseball fan bent the antenna on the car and took her METS magnet off the back of the car (the magnet was taken after the coating as it is smooth where it was.) It was a great welcome back gift from the cruise. I thought this was a secured lot but evidently not.

Any advice or where to proceed with this. Thanks.

Evie

Old May 22nd, 2011, 09:31 PM
5,000+ Club

There has been issues with that parking lot in years past though I haven't read about any recently. Your best bet is to go to the east coast departures forum.

Here is an old thread that might have some contact info in it.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showt...ght=car+damage

Old May 22nd, 2011, 09:32 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

This lot has been a no park zone for a long time. Sorry to hear about your problems.

Old May 22nd, 2011, 09:34 PM
Cool Cruiser

I thankfully have no firsthand experience with this. Though on CC, I've read about "overspray" problems at Cape Liberty. This was a few years ago and I haven't seen anything posted on it recently. Unfortunately, quite a few cruisers had their paint finish ruined while parked at the port. Here is a thread to get you started. You can search for more with "Cape Liberty overspray."

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showt...ight=overspray

Old May 22nd, 2011, 09:35 PM
Cool Cruiser

I was in this lot on the 4/28 sailing and when I got home I had orange paint on the side of my car. We were able to get it off. I also had a rough texture that came off in the car wash. I assumed it was related to the salt water.

Ad Sponsored By
Old May 22nd, 2011, 09:36 PM
5,000+ Club

Here is another link too with contact information in it to get car fixed.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showt...bayonne+damage

Old May 22nd, 2011, 10:35 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Parking problem at Beyonne

Sorry about the problem. It is most likely paint overspray from the Drydock next to the Cruise port. The dry dock keeps saying they solved the problem, and certain cc members insist the problem has gone away, but it has not. Give the dry-dock a call and explain your problem, they have taken the responsibility in the past to pay for the damages. Again sorry, I have tried to get RCI and the Parking Lot company to warn people, but no go.

Old May 22nd, 2011, 11:25 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzoholic View Post
We just returned home yesterday and did anyone else experience the coating on their vehicle parked in Bayonne. My daughter's car has this thin rough texture all over her car as if it rained down something and covered it. Also some dear baseball fan bent the antenna on the car and took her METS magnet off the back of the car (the magnet was taken after the coating as it is smooth where it was.) It was a great welcome back gift from the cruise. I thought this was a secured lot but evidently not.

Evie
This happened to me twice, once around 2007 and the last time after a Canada cruise in September of last year. My 2006 maroon Honda Pilot was sprayed with small white/grey dots. Called Bayonne Drydock and they said to send estimate of damage. Checked with a excellent local body/paint shop before I did anything and got a $550.00 estimate and some very good advice- I thought!!

He recommended I go thru my own insurance agency because if there was any supplemental estimate for repair it might be hard to get an additional check from Bayonne Drydock.

My insurance company authorized repair and it turned out to be a huge job. Paint spray not only covered painted surface it also ruined all my black molding which had to be replaced for $1500.

My Ins. Co. went after Bayonne Drylock for the damage and it didn't cost me a penny, I was even reimbursed for the $50 deductible. I was very satisfied with the outcome, it was basically hassle free and my vehicle was returned to mint condition.

Also, this has been an ongoing problem for years. An article discussing this very problem was published in the travel section of USA Today. GOOD LUCK with your situation.

Old May 23rd, 2011, 10:17 AM
Cool Cruiser

Can you tell me where your car was parked. Was it close to the terminal building or where you pay as you enter or was it closeer to where the ship repair facility is located

Past Cruises
RCL-Explorer the Seas-Bermuda-10-27-13
RCI-Explorer the Seas-Bermuda-10-7-12
RCI-Explorer the Seas-Bermuda-Caribbean-6-9-11
RCI-Explorer of The Seas- Caribbean-10-28-10
RCI-Liberty Of The Seas-West Caribbean-2-21-10
RCI-Explorer Of The Seas-Bermuda-7/04/09
RCI-Explorer Of The Seas-Canada-10/09/08
RCI-Explorer Of The Seas-So. Cairbbean-3/16/08
RCI-Radiance Of The Seas-Alaska-6/01/07
RCI-Brillance Of The Seas-Panama Canal-4/07/06
RCI-Adventure Of The Seas-So.Cairbbean-6/15/03
RCI-Empress Of The Seas-Bermuda-5/05/02
RCI-Empress Of The Ses-San Juan P.R.-4/07/97
RCI-Viking Serenade-Baja Mexico-3/04/96
CCL-Ecstasy-Western Caribbean-4/24/95
RCI-Empress Of The Seas-Bahamas-6/27/94
RCI-Empress Of The Seas-Bahamas-4/22/94

Old May 23rd, 2011, 10:47 AM
Cool Cruiser

When it happened to me, I was parked in the large lot nearest the ship, probably around the middle of the lot or slightly closer to the terminal building.

Old May 23rd, 2011, 11:07 AM
Cool Cruiser

I was also parked in the lot from May 12 to May 21. I also had small gray "paint dots" all over my car. I have brought it to a paint/detail place and they said it is the paint they use on ship hulls. I am going to have it repaired, but I plan on making a claim with the parking lot or whatever other facility I need to. I was extremely upset to see it on my car when we returned, as I thought the problem had been addressed.

Old May 23rd, 2011, 02:50 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Car damage

Evidently they did it again at the parking area. They were painting and they did cover the vehicles with tarps but oops the tarps flew off. They will pay for the damage but this is something else that has to be taken care of.

Royal Caribbean better wake up and think of their guests. Brooklyn here we come. Parking is great there with no problems.

Evie

Old May 23rd, 2011, 03:51 PM
10,000+ Club

It's New Jersey! Just kidding there, but what would you expect when parking your car in a lot next to an industrial area that contains a shipyard that sandblasts and paints ships? The best course of action would be to contact your insurance company and let them get your car fixed then they can deal with the shipyard.
Freedom of the Seas Oct. 2011
Majesty of the Seas Nov. 2011
Monarch of the Seas May 2012
Allure of the Seas Sept. 2012
Carnival Glory May 2013
Allure of the Seas Sept. 2013
Majesty of the Seas Sept. 2013
Carnival Pride March 2014
Allure of the Seas Sept. 2014
Carnival Breeze Sept. 2014

Link to my Allure of the Seas review: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showt...ighlight=eng23

Old May 24th, 2011, 08:24 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzoholic View Post

Evie
I had a similar experience at the Cruise Port while parking my car. The party responsible dealt with it in an amicable and fair manner and quickly expedited the situation, so even though it was a little bit of an inconvenience, the end result was fair and handled to my liking. A freind of mine who went on a cruise before me did not have the same problem as I did. Her car had been covered and when she returned it was just as she left it. It seems to be an occassional happening.

Old May 24th, 2011, 12:40 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

DH didn't want to bother with the car cover but it looks like we got lucky ........... We also returned on the 21st & our car is fine. We were parked right near the exit to the road or the parking lot next to the terminal.

Completed Cruises: Sovereign of the Seas – Eastern Caribbean - December 1990: Sovereign of the Seas – Eastern Caribbean - March 1993: Sovereign of the Seas – Eastern Caribbean - August 1994: Sovereign of the Seas – Eastern Caribbean - November 1996: Legend of the Seas – Panama Canal – April 1999: NCL Majesty - Bermuda - July 2000: Explorer of the Seas – Eastern Caribbean - March 2001: Navigator of the Seas – Western Caribbean - March 2007: Navigator of the Seas – Transatlantic – November 2008: Explorer of the Seas – Bermuda/Bahamas – April 2010: Navigator of the Seas B2B2B – Western Caribbean – November 2010: Explorer of the Seas – Bermuda/Caribbean - May 2011: Explorer of the Seas – Southern Caribbean - March 2012: NCL Dawn – Bermuda – May 2012: NCL Dawn – Bermuda – May 2013: NCL Dawn – Repositioning – April 2014:

Old May 25th, 2011, 10:25 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default HC Parking ?

We park in the HC lot in Bayonne, which is next to the tented area where we leave our luggage. Has there been a problem with overspray there?
HAL Zuiderdam - 2004
Carnival Valor - 2006
Carnival Pride - 2008 (Mexican Riviera)
RCI Explorer of the Seas - 2009
RCI Explorer of the Seas - 2010
Celebrity Equinox - 2011
RCI Explorer of the Seas - 2011
Celebrity Summit - 2012
RCI Enchantment of the Seas - 2013
RCI Freedom of the Seas - 2014
*Crown & Anchor Emerald Members*

Old May 25th, 2011, 03:08 PM
5,000+ Club

This topic made the cc blog:
http://www.cruisecritic.com/blog/ind...-was-cruising/

Norwegian Breakaway - 2014; Carnival Splendor - 2014;Carnival Splendor - 2013; Norwegian Gem - 2012; Carnival Glory - 2010; Carnival Miracle - 2009

Old May 26th, 2011, 02:00 AM
Cool Cruiser

We just returned from the Summit on 5/22. No paint issues on our car, but found it strange our mirrors were both turned in and adjusted. Car has less than 8k miles, brakes were perfect when we parked, ever since the moment we drove off the lot there is a loud pulsating noise when we brake. Almost like the rotors are totally shot. I'm not a car expert, anyone know if this could be indirectly from the overspray?
112 Nights Cruising - Disney Dream, Disney Fantasy, Disney Magic, Allure of the Seas, Oasis of the Seas (twice), Liberty of the Seas, Navigator of the Seas (twice), Serenade of the Seas, Enchantment of the Seas (twice), Majesty of the Seas, Celebrity Summit, NCL Pride of America, Norwegian Sky, Golden Princess, MSC Poesia, Carnival Dream, Carnival Imagination

UPCOMING:

Quantum of the Seas - December 2014
Disney Wonder - May 2015
Oasis of the Seas - November 2015

Old May 26th, 2011, 08:59 AM
Cool Cruiser

We cruise in July. We plan to cover our car before we leave.
HAL Zuiderdam - 2004
Carnival Valor - 2006
Carnival Pride - 2008 (Mexican Riviera)
RCI Explorer of the Seas - 2009
RCI Explorer of the Seas - 2010
Celebrity Equinox - 2011
RCI Explorer of the Seas - 2011
Celebrity Summit - 2012
RCI Enchantment of the Seas - 2013
RCI Freedom of the Seas - 2014
*Crown & Anchor Emerald Members*

Old May 31st, 2011, 10:19 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Any recommendations on where to park?

We are traveling on explorer of the seas in Sept 2011. Any recommendations on where to park other than the cruise port? Any hotels that you would recommend that we stay in the night before the ship leaves that we could leave our car for the duration of the trip?