Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Special Interest Cruising > Gay & Lesbian Cruisers

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Gay & Lesbian Cruisers A Gathering Place for Discussing Your Favorite Cruises.

Old May 31st, 2011, 10:57 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratchrat View Post
We never managed to make one of these on our last cruise due to time clashes but I'm interested. I have a few questions.

1. What age of people tend to go?
2. What usually happens there?
3. Is it couples or singles mainly?
4. Is it used for sexual "pick-ups"?

Thanks!
I was just on a 7-night repositioning cruise up the Pacific coast on the Norwegian Pearl, and Julie our Cruise Director (no kidding!) listed a Friends of Dorothy (LGBT) Gathering in the Freestyle Daily every day of the cruise. Up to 24 of us got together at any one time. The first events were in Star Bar, which is quiet and out of the way. When Julie moved the string quartet to Star Bar, she moved us to the Bliss Ultra Lounge, and sweetened the deal with free bowling. It was a mixed group, mostly male, probably 30s to 60s, and folks just hung out and talked or shared a drink. It seemed like most folks were traveling in pairs or groups, but I took my mom on a birthday cruise, so I was going to the events solo. Everyone was super friendly. And when we asked Julie if we could go back to Star Bar, even with the string quartet, she obliged. I found the evenings to be just nice, relaxed get-togethers. I'm sure people do hook up, but it wasn't an overt priority.

2015 Sept - British Isles on NCL's Norwegian Star | 2015 Jun - Bermuda on NCL's Norwegian Breakaway | 2014 Dec - W Caribbean on NCL's Norwegian Epic | 2014 Sept - Pacific Coast on NCL's Norwegian Sun | 2014 Mar - Spring Break on NCL's Norwegian Pearl | 2013 Dec - W Caribbean on NCL's Norwegian Pearl | 2013 Sep - Grand Med (VCE>BCN) on NCL's Norwegian Spirit | 2012 Dec - Bahamas on NCL's Norwegian Sky | 2012 Oct - Colonial America on NCL's Norwegian Dawn | 2012 May - Alaska on NCL's Norwegian Pearl | 2012 Feb - E Caribbean on HAL's Nieuw Amsterdam (RSVP) | 2011 May - Pacific Coast on NCL's Norwegian Pearl | 2010 Oct - Hawaii on NCL's Pride of America (RSVP) | 2009 Aug - Alaska on HAL's Westerdam (RSVP)

Ad Sponsored By
Old June 4th, 2011, 03:49 PM
Cool Cruiser

From our experiences with Princess, the gatherings are usually attended by seniors, mostly retired couples but in many cases alone due the loss of their partners. Young people do show up once or twice but then are not seen again. Regardless of where they put us or want to put us we usually congregate at a locale of our own choosing and definitely a bar. There is an element of camp in the groups with clever repartee, which is enjoyable. We have noted liaisons can and do occur.

The other segment of gay life aboard is the crew. When one is out and known to one gay staff member, the likelihood is that there will be others who will make contact with pleasantries. Get to know them real well and your food presentation can be as hilarious as "Your soup Madame..." It is loads of fun for us and I'm sure for them also, for what a confined lifestyle they have.

Old June 5th, 2011, 06:40 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

We've only been on one cruise - QM2 Transatlantic crossing - and the FOD meetings were advertised in the daily ship program.

On our cruise there was only a set of brothers in our age group (mid thirties) with everyone else being mid forties and older.

Conversation and drinks.

Nearly all couples.

Could have been, we weren't aware of any. Certainly nobody tried to pick us up.

Cunard's FOD meetings are held in the Commodore Club which overlooks the bow. It's a great location provided the waves aren't rough (we were a trifle sea-sick the first couple of days).

The only disappointment we had about the FOD meetings had nothing to do with the meetings themselves. It was more that everyone had already bonded and struck up a friendship by the time we boarded. Our Westbound Transatlantic was the last leg of a Mediterranean Cruise from New York two weeks prior. The meetings were nice but we felt a little on the outer so didn't go more than a couple of times. I think these kind of meetings are more enjoyable if you board at the same time as everyone else.

Below is a pic of the Commodore Club.
Queen Mary 2 - Singapore to Brisbane - Sailed on February 9th 2013
Queen Elizabeth - New York to Sydney - Sailed on January 10th 2014

Old June 5th, 2011, 01:37 PM
Cool Cruiser

Hi, Have been on a number of cruises, all mainstream so I cannot talk to Atlantis or RSVP, but our latest was a transatlantic aboard Celebrity. The LGBT meeting is posted down with all the other group meetings (AA, CruCon, Quilters, etc) while our Princess cruises have had it posted in the daily newspaper. On our last cruise, there were all ages and folks from all around the world and everyone got along famously. They were mostly couples but i have been on cruises with gay single friends(not partners or boyfriends) traveling together and we had a single gay friend traveling with us as well. Gay members of the crew joined us for cocktails after dinner. We even had an 11PM gay dance party in one of the discos.
On Princess, notably on the Baltic cruise, we met many friends, gay and straight, and we all ate together and even did the ports together.
I have heard talk of hookups occurring but that wasn't the focus of the cocktail times.
Have a great cruise

NCL W. Caribbean 2005
RCCL Mexico 2007

Sun Princess Pacific Coastal 2000
Sun Princess Pacific Coastal 2002
Diamond Princess Alaska 2008
Star Princess Pacific Coastal 2009
Island Princess Pacific Coastal 2009
Sapphire Princess Mexico 2009
Star Princess Baltics 2010
Island Princess Pacific Coastal 2010
Caribbean Princess So. Caribbean 2011
Ruby Princess E. Caribbean 2011
Golden Princess CA Coastal 2012
Star Princess CA Coastal 2013 (Southbound)
Golden Princess CA Coastal 2013 (Southbound)
Crown Princess Alaska 2014 (booked)

Celebrity Mercury Alaska 2005
Celebrity Century W. Caribbean 2007
Celebrity Solstice W. Caribbean 2010
Celebrity Solstice Transatlantic 2011
Celebrity Equinox E. Med. 2011
Celebrity Silhouette Italy & Croatia 2012
Celebrity Infinity Western Europe Wine Cruise 2013
Celebrity Summit S. Caribbean 2013
Celebrity Silhouette Transatlantic (4/2014)
Celebrity Infinity Iceland and Norway (7/2014)

Old June 5th, 2011, 02:34 PM
Cool Cruiser

A comment should be made as to times when there were no Friends Of Dorothy get-togethers aboard. On our trip to China we felt, probably incorrectly, that we were the only gays aboard. We toured with a group of straight couples some of which understood our relationship other who would today still not understand. One evening in Beijing my partner and I finally found a gay bar we were told of and which had a unique drag show. The next day we wanted to tell our travel companions of our good fortune but we were shunned and they did not want to hear or understand the significance of this world wide culture. This memory was just brought back by the comment above made by shepp regarding assimilation. We count our blessings that there are these gay get-togethers today.

Old June 5th, 2011, 03:34 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratchrat View Post
We're both 25 years old and students and find a lot of people assume we're brothers with our parents or something lol

My husband is 23 and I'm 25. We got married almost 6 years ago (I know, both teenagers!) As it is legal for same sex couples to marry in Canada and you have to be 18 (which was husband was when we married)

We started going on cruises in 2009 and have been on two since then. I never knew what a Friend Of Dorothy meeting was on my first cruise. I think because we're younger this term was not something I was familair with. However we seen it posted on our second cruise which was Liberty Of The Seas on RCL. We did not attend the meetings as I had a bit of stage freight perhaps? lol Sometimes meeting new people is difficult for me.

My partner and I don't do PDA (Public Displays of Affection) so we won't hold hands or anything around the ship. If someone asks if we're brothers we tell them we're married. Sometimes if it's a younger person who asks us, or we know they have a sense of humor we'll say " We're Lovers, not brothers" lol.

I have a cruise coming up in November out of Texas, so I don't know if there will be a FOD meeting, but if there perhaps we'll check it out! We're also doing a Transatlantic with RCL next year from Rome to Texas so we may attend a FOD on that one as well.

Old June 5th, 2011, 05:17 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotboy1985 View Post
My partner and I don't do PDA (Public Displays of Affection) so we won't hold hands or anything around the ship.
I know this is kinda OT, but I'm honestly puzzled whenever this comes up. I'm not being snarky here but, hey, you're married. I assume you wear rings? It's readable that you sleep together? So why feel constrained to not even hold hands in public? Do you find it offensive when other couples, straight or gay, do it? Or what?
1/06 Westerdam -W. Caribbean * 1/07 Dawn Princess - Mexican Riviera * 1/08 Zuiderdam - E. Caribbean * 4/08 Celebrity Mercury - Alaska * 12/09 Crown Princess - W. Caribbean * 8/10 Sea Princess - Alaska * 1/11 Sapphire Princess - Mexican Riviera * 4/11 Island Princess - Panama full transit * 8/11 Sea Princess - Alaska * 2/12 Grand Princess - E. Caribbean * 4/12 Coral Princess - Panama full transit * 12/12 Star Princess - SFO to Buenos Aires * 4/13 Golden Princess - Hawaii * 10/13 Royal Princess - Trans-Atlantic * 2/14 Sapphire Princess - Mexican Riviera

Old June 5th, 2011, 06:23 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by shepp View Post
I know this is kinda OT, but I'm honestly puzzled whenever this comes up. I'm not being snarky here but, hey, you're married. I assume you wear rings? It's readable that you sleep together? So why feel constrained to not even hold hands in public? Do you find it offensive when other couples, straight or gay, do it? Or what?
I think it was just the way I was raised. My mom and Dad don't hold hands walking in the mall, or in the airport. They don't kiss in public, they keep that stuff to the home. So i do it the same way.

I don't care for it when straight couples makes out and feel each other up infront of everyone, I wouldn't want to see that gay or straight.

Now, the be 100% honest with you, I don't like to draw attention to myself. This would include holding hands with my husband so that plays another factor in it.

And yes, we both wear rings.

Old June 5th, 2011, 07:00 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotboy1985 View Post
I think it was just the way I was raised. My mom and Dad don't hold hands walking in the mall, or in the airport. They don't kiss in public, they keep that stuff to the home. So i do it the same way.
Ah, thanks. I guess I'm kinda the opposite. My parents never showed much physical affection, either, and I now find that sad. And I must confess that I find walking hand-in-hand down the promenade deck at sunset one of the loveliest things I can imagine.
1/06 Westerdam -W. Caribbean * 1/07 Dawn Princess - Mexican Riviera * 1/08 Zuiderdam - E. Caribbean * 4/08 Celebrity Mercury - Alaska * 12/09 Crown Princess - W. Caribbean * 8/10 Sea Princess - Alaska * 1/11 Sapphire Princess - Mexican Riviera * 4/11 Island Princess - Panama full transit * 8/11 Sea Princess - Alaska * 2/12 Grand Princess - E. Caribbean * 4/12 Coral Princess - Panama full transit * 12/12 Star Princess - SFO to Buenos Aires * 4/13 Golden Princess - Hawaii * 10/13 Royal Princess - Trans-Atlantic * 2/14 Sapphire Princess - Mexican Riviera

Old June 6th, 2011, 05:51 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONT-CA View Post
A comment should be made as to times when there were no Friends Of Dorothy get-togethers aboard. On our trip to China we felt, probably incorrectly, that we were the only gays aboard. We toured with a group of straight couples some of which understood our relationship other who would today still not understand. We count our blessings that there are these gay get-togethers today.
I have a feeling we'll be the only 'gays in the village' with the upcoming cruise we're going on. I've done a roll call but so far no one has responded - and it's in Feb 2012, usually people would have responded by now.

I suppose we'll find out the first FOD meeting. I hope that the people onboard are more understanding and friendly than what you experienced.
Queen Mary 2 - Singapore to Brisbane - Sailed on February 9th 2013
Queen Elizabeth - New York to Sydney - Sailed on January 10th 2014

Old June 6th, 2011, 03:51 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Only ones

We sail Oct 21 and I haven't heard of any others joining this cruise 9 days on the Carnival Spirit. My wife and I don't even notice if we are doing a public show of affection. We just do what comes natural to us..I think we kiss hold hands and rub each others legs at times..Share a lounger and just do what feels right. We travel with a 6 year old (Granddaughter) that we have custody of... If we didn't do the above she would think ...."are you mad at each other"" so natural above all else.

This is our 4th cruise..including the goober....People on Carnival were great with our family and we didn't notice any "issues"

Last edited by Thundertouch; June 6th, 2011 at 03:53 PM.

Old June 6th, 2011, 05:37 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitemarsh View Post
I have a feeling we'll be the only 'gays in the village' with the upcoming cruise we're going on. I've done a roll call but so far no one has responded - and it's in Feb 2012, usually people would have responded by now.
We usually cruise in February & late October. We have created roll calls for several of our cruises with no response on any, but once on board, you will usually find a few "family members".

I agree with the poster who said the FOD meetings vary by ship and guests. We have sailed on identical dates in different years, and one time we were the only ones in attendance for FOD gatherings, and the next cruise there were quite a few who showed-up.

11/14 - Carnival Dream
11/13 - Carnival Liberty
11/12 - Carnival Conquest
10/11 - Carnival Legend
10/10 - Carnival Freedom
02/10 - Carnival Triumph
09/08 - Carnival Fascination
07/05 - Carnival Holiday

Old June 6th, 2011, 07:39 PM
Cool Cruiser

We once posted all our cruise plans expecting to hear of others who would be aboard and who we may be able to socialize with. We have yet to have an answer on this board. And yet when we get aboard there are all sorts of fellow gays who are at the Dorothy meeting. On occasion I ask it they knew about CC and the Gay & Lesbian Cruisers segment of the site and the only answer we get is "Huh?" We now just go with the flow and there will always now be someone at the gathering, not like the old days.

Last edited by ONT-CA; June 6th, 2011 at 07:40 PM.

Old June 6th, 2011, 07:53 PM
Cool Cruiser

Noordam Transatlantic April 28 thru May 16. Asked for GLBT Cocktail hour. Suggested Atrium Bar. Hotel Manager readily agreed and set it up. In the program every day. Great bartender and waiter who both worked the event for the whole cruise and got to know everybody. Ship provided extra hot and cold hors d'oeuvres, champagne (and a cake) for two birthdays. Ships senior staff dropped by each night to say hi and make sure all was well. About 24 core passengers showed up most nights but sometimes the group got to be nearly forty. Affable, jolly crowd age 35 to 75 - mostly 50s and 60s which matched the demographic of the ship. Even mix of couples and singles. Nothing creepy at all. Saw each other around the ship, couples held hands, danced. Nobody seemed to care or even notice.

Old June 7th, 2011, 08:02 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
We've only been on one cruise - QM2 Transatlantic crossing - and the FOD meetings were advertised in the daily ship program.

On our cruise there was only a set of brothers in our age group (mid thirties) with everyone else being mid forties and older.

Conversation and drinks.

Nearly all couples.

Could have been, we weren't aware of any. Certainly nobody tried to pick us up.

Cunard's FOD meetings are held in the Commodore Club which overlooks the bow. It's a great location provided the waves aren't rough (we were a trifle sea-sick the first couple of days).

The only disappointment we had about the FOD meetings had nothing to do with the meetings themselves. It was more that everyone had already bonded and struck up a friendship by the time we boarded. Our Westbound Transatlantic was the last leg of a Mediterranean Cruise from New York two weeks prior. The meetings were nice but we felt a little on the outer so didn't go more than a couple of times. I think these kind of meetings are more enjoyable if you board at the same time as everyone else.

Below is a pic of the Commodore Club.
Been there several times. They used to have the meetings in the boardroom. Unfortunately that's been hijacked for the "Friends of Bill W." The board room had a more private feeling.Many pass through the Commodore Club & don't know what it's all about.

Old June 7th, 2011, 08:05 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:

I suppose we'll find out the first FOD meeting. I hope that the people onboard are more understanding and friendly than what you experienced.
Trust me there's loads of us on that cruise. I only saw about 2 0n my QM2 rollcall last Nov. But saw at least 100+ on the ship. Not all attend the FOD events.

Old June 22nd, 2011, 05:56 PM
Cool Cruiser

Just came back from an eastern Meditteranean cruise on Norwegian's Jade. Every night in the Star Bar from around 8-10 p.m they had a FOD gathering, which was listed in the "Freestyle Daily" newsletter as "Friends of Dorothy (GLBT)." This was an unhosted event.
February 2012 - Azamara Journey, Rio de Janeiro-Buenos Aries
June 2011 - NCL Jade, Venice & Greek Isles
February 2010 - Azamara Quest, Hong Kong-Singapore
April 2009 - NCL Star, Mexican Riviera (RSVP)
April 1988 - Premier Cruises, Star/Ship Royale, Bahamas

Follow me on Twitter @coyconnoisseur

Old June 22nd, 2011, 06:14 PM
Cool Cruiser

Question Howdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyboy1971 View Post
Just came back from an eastern Meditteranean cruise on Norwegian's Jade. Every night in the Star Bar from around 8-10 p.m they had a FOD gathering, which was listed in the "Freestyle Daily" newsletter as "Friends of Dorothy (GLBT)." This was an unhosted event.
How was the turnout at the FOD events? And how did you like the cruise? I would eventually love to do a Med cruise and a Baltic cruise on NCL.

2015 Sept - British Isles on NCL's Norwegian Star | 2015 Jun - Bermuda on NCL's Norwegian Breakaway | 2014 Dec - W Caribbean on NCL's Norwegian Epic | 2014 Sept - Pacific Coast on NCL's Norwegian Sun | 2014 Mar - Spring Break on NCL's Norwegian Pearl | 2013 Dec - W Caribbean on NCL's Norwegian Pearl | 2013 Sep - Grand Med (VCE>BCN) on NCL's Norwegian Spirit | 2012 Dec - Bahamas on NCL's Norwegian Sky | 2012 Oct - Colonial America on NCL's Norwegian Dawn | 2012 May - Alaska on NCL's Norwegian Pearl | 2012 Feb - E Caribbean on HAL's Nieuw Amsterdam (RSVP) | 2011 May - Pacific Coast on NCL's Norwegian Pearl | 2010 Oct - Hawaii on NCL's Pride of America (RSVP) | 2009 Aug - Alaska on HAL's Westerdam (RSVP)

Old June 22nd, 2011, 07:05 PM
Cool Cruiser

Has anyone been on an Alaska cruise? I am leaving on a Princess Alaskan cruise this Saturday. I know that there is at least one other gay couple going (yay!), but think that for the most part there won't be too many others onboard (I am pretty sure we gays are warm weather types).

Old June 22nd, 2011, 07:29 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyboy1971 View Post

As you can see from my sig, we've spent over 100 days at sea, mostly on NCL.

The FoD meetings are always posted in the Freestyle Daily, though it's seldom that any crew / staff show up. They are generally in a bar, and people just introduce themselves.

We've only been cruising as a couple (44 & 37.... together 18 years), but have found many single guys (usually in groups of friends cruising together) who come to the FOD meetings.

Have made many friends along the way.

Stephen

-----------------
"You're entitled to your own opinion. You're not entitled to your own set of facts."
------------------

NEXT:

2014 - Sept 22 - NCL Star - Copenhagen RT - Norway - Shetland - Faroe - Iceland - Glasgow - Dublin (SJ Suite - CAS)(14)

History...

2014 - Jan 5 - S. Carrib. - Breakaway. (Spa Suite - CAS)(12)
2013 - Sep 21 - NYC RT -Canada & NE - Gem (Mini-suite CAS) (7)
2013 - July 7 - Breakaway - Bermuda (Spa Mini - CAS)(7)
2013 - Feb 10 - NCL Pearl - Western (SE Upg. - CAS)(7)
2012 - Oct 5 - NCL Dawn - Boston - Portland - Halifax - PEI - Gaspesie - La Baie - Quebec (SJ Suite Upg. - CAS)(7)
2012 - April 7 - EPIC - Eastern (Spa Suite Upg.) (CAS)(7)
2011 - Nov 13 - NCL Spirit - Western Exotic -Balcony (solo) (Thx CAS - Millionnaire Maker Finals)(7)
2011 - Oct 22 - NCL Sun - Eastern - Bahamas - Puerto Rico - St. Thomas - Balcony (Thx CAS...Slot Tourney WINNER!) (7)
2011 - May 22 - NCL EPIC West Med Barcelona RT - Italy - Mallorca - w/ Berlin & Brussels b4, Paris after - Spa Suite (Thx CAS)(7)
2010 - Dec 26 - New Year's - NCL Spirit Western Exotic - NOLA - Costa Maya - Roatan - Belize City - Cozumel - OV(Thx CAS)(7)
2010 - June 24 - NCL EPIC maiden TA to NYC - Spa Suite, Budapest, Vienna & Stonehenge b4 (6)
2009 - Sep 29 - NCL Jade Black Sea - Athens - Ukraine - Romania - Bulgaria - Istanbul (10)
2008 - Aug 24 - NCL Gem West Med - Barcelona - Malta RT (7) w/Edinburgh/Glasgow/London b4
2007 - New Year's - NCL Gem - NYC - Bahamas (7)
2007 - Sep 8 - Sapphire Princess - TPacific to Beijing (Vcvr/ Alaska [Glacier Bay] / Anchorage/Vladivostock/Japan/Korea/Beijing) (22)
2006 - Sep 3 NCL Jewel - Barcelona - Venice - Istanbul (12)
2005 - Aug 23 NCL Jewel - Baltic Capitals (12)pics at: http://community.webshots.com/user/sjbdtz
2004 - Jun 6 NCL Dawn - NYC/Bahamas/NYC (7)
2003 - May 31 - NCL Sky - Vcvr/Alaska(Tracey Arm)/ Seattle (7)