Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Carnival Cruise Lines

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Carnival Cruise Lines

Read thousands of Carnival Cruise Reviews from real cruisers and compare the best Carnival Cruise Deals.

Write a Carnival Review

NEW! Find Your CARNIVAL Roll Call

Old May 28th, 2011, 01:14 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Formal nights on Carnival Liberty

My wife and I are booked on the Carnival Liberty 7 Night Exotic Eastern Caribbean cruise begining June 25, 2011. We are curious as to how many formal night there are, and which nights they typically are. Is there 1 or 2 formal nights? Or is there 1 formal night and 1 semi-formal night? How do people typically dress for a formal night, and how do they typically dress for a semi-formal night? Also, is the lobster night in the main dining room the same night as one of the formal nights? Thanks.

Ad Sponsored By
Old May 28th, 2011, 01:38 PM
Cool Cruiser

my family did this itinerary in April and there were two formal nights: Monday (sea day) & Thursday (Grand Turk). There was a wide variety of clothing for these nights, but most people kicked it up a notch. I believe the lobster was the first formal night, but I may be mistaken.

We had SOOO much fun that cruise. I'm jealous that you still have it ahead of you.
Glory 5/31/2013
Fascination 8/24/2013

Old May 28th, 2011, 03:24 PM
Cool Cruiser

if i can remember i think there are two formal nights and there is also a captain cocktail party. I'm not really sure but you can check with carnival they should be able to tell you exactly. on the formal night some women wear gowns, and some wear nice long dresses and some wore cocktail dresses. its basically what's your type of formal. the same for the men most wore suits and ties and some wore a dress shirt and slacks. i hope this was helpful information. have fun!!!!!

Old May 28th, 2011, 04:19 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Formal nights on Carnival

Formal nights on Carnival?? Just dont wear you baseball cap backward. And no wifebeater tee shirts, Girls no daisy dukes and bikini tops. Other than that anything goes.....
Princess 3x Golden Princess 1995
Crown Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011
Carnival Valor 3x 2008,2009,2012
Carnival Liberty 2008
Carnival Freedom 2x 2009,2011
Carnival Imagination 3x 2011,2012
Holland America Nieuw Amsterdam 2010
Carnival Destiny 2012

Old June 2nd, 2011, 02:21 PM
Cool Cruiser

I was on the Liberty in January and there were 2 elegant nights but I don't remember which nights. Most of the people we saw were dressed very nicely. Women were mainly in cocktail dresses and men were in suits.

While we were waiting to get into the dining room there was a man wearing shorts and a t-shirt that was turned away- so they do enforce the dress code.

Last edited by Lucille Bluth; June 2nd, 2011 at 02:24 PM.

Old June 2nd, 2011, 02:36 PM
Cool Cruiser

There are usually two elegant nights on 7 day cruises and I have to admit to thoroughly enjoying them. It's going to be even more fun for me this time as my son's girlfriend is coming along so we can get girly together! The boys never like the elegant nights that much - hahahahaha!
7 Day Western - Glory 2009 - Cozumel, Gr. Cayman, Belize, Roatan
4 Day Western - Imagination 2006 - Key West, Calica
7 Day Western - Triumph 2005 -Cozumel, Ocho Rios, Grand Caymen

Old June 2nd, 2011, 03:23 PM
Cool Cruiser

We had 2 formal nights on our last 7-day on the Valor. As long as you're not wearing shorts and a t-shirt they'll let you in. I saw men in khakis/chinos and polos that were allowed into the main dining room.
April 2009 - Carnival Destiny 5-day We got engaged!
January 2007 - Carnival Triumph 7-day
August 2002 - Carnival Fascination 3-day
October 1998 - Carnival Ecstasy 4-day

Old June 2nd, 2011, 03:39 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by brymern View Post
my family did this itinerary in April and there were two formal nights: Monday (sea day) & Thursday (Grand Turk). There was a wide variety of clothing for these nights, but most people kicked it up a notch. I believe the lobster was the first formal night, but I may be mistaken.

We had SOOO much fun that cruise. I'm jealous that you still have it ahead of you.
Correct. It's usually sunday and thursday, but since HMC is on sunday they do it monday and thursday instead.

Old June 2nd, 2011, 03:57 PM
Cool Cruiser

Carnival eliminated formal nights over two years ago. Now it's elegant night with no jacket and no tie.

Old June 2nd, 2011, 04:08 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado44 View Post
Carnival eliminated formal nights over two years ago. Now it's elegant night with no jacket and no tie.
No jacket or tie are required but you can still wear them if you desire.

On our last couple of cruises (since the change to elegant night) we have seen a few (very few) men in tuxes, a few more in suits, the majority were in either jackets or tie without jacket (DH's style), and a few with dress shirt and no tie (DS style) or khacki's and collared shirts (polo or tropical). With the women we saw a few (very few) in formal gowns, the majority in cocktail dresses (my and DD's style), and few in sundresses or pant sets.

Ruby Princess 3/2014 - 5 Night Western -FLL, Cozumel & Grand Cayman-Balcony-Adults only
Norwegian Jewel 10/2013 - 7 Night Western -New Orleans, Cozumel, Belize City, Roatan & Costa Maya-Balcony-Adults only...25th Anniversary
Carnival Freedom 08/2013 - 6 Night Western -FLL, Key West, Grand Cayman & Jamaica-2 Connecting Balconies-Family + 1 BFF
Norwegian Epic 12/2011 - 7 Night Eastern-Miami, St. Martin, St. Thomas & Nassau-2 Insides-Family
Carnival Glory 07/2011 - 5 Night Canada-Manhattan, Halifax & Saint John-1 Balcony & 1 Inside-Family
Carnival Destiny 11/2010 -4 Night Western-Miami, Key West & Cozumel-2 Insides-Family
Carnival Glory 07/2010 - 5 Night Canada-CANCELLED DUE TO DEATH IN THE FAMILY DAY BEFORE CRUISE-Insurance Reimbursed
Carnival Freedom 7/2009-8 Night Eastern-FLL, San Juan, St. Thomas, Tortola, Antigua & Nassau-1 Inside-Family
Norwegian Jewel 11/2007-5 Night Western-Miami, Cozumel & Grand Cayman-1 Inside-Family
Carnival Elation 12/2006-5 Night Eastern-Port Canaveral, Nassau, Half Moon Cay & Grand Turk-1 Oceanview-Family
Carnival Inspiration 11/2005-5 Night Western-Tampa, Cozumel & Progresso-2 Insides & 1 Porthole-Family + Extended Family
Disney Magic 6/2004-7 Night Eastern-Port Canaveral, St. Thomas, St. Martin & Castaway Cay-2 Connecting Oceanviews-Family + Friends (Family of 4)
Disney Wonder 11/2001-3 Night Bahamas-Port Canaveral, Nassau & Castaway Cay+4 Night Disney World- 2 Connecting Insides-Family + Friends (Family of 4)

Old June 2nd, 2011, 05:56 PM
Cool Cruiser

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by brymern View Post

I'm on the Liberty in March. I wonder what sadistic person decided to serve lobster when everyone is dressed up? Thanks for the info.

Celebrity Equinox 2014
Carnival Liberty 2013
Carnival Breeze 2013
Vision of the Seas 2013
Caribbean Princess 2012
Norwegian Jewel - Alaska 2012
Carnival Liberty 2012
Explorer of the Seas 2012
Carnival Valor 2011
Carnival Freedom 2011
Norwegian Sun 2011
Norwegian Pearl 2010
Norwegian Sky 2010
Carnival Dream 2010
Carnival Paradise 2003

Packing Vide: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdRl3dBGxRs
Caribbean Princess Southern Caribbean Review:
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1750107
Carnival Freedom 8 Day Western Review: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1479781
Norwegian Pearl November 2010 Review: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showt...184&highlight=

Belize Barrier Reef Review:http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showt...6#post28758656

Old June 12th, 2011, 12:34 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thanks for all that info. For the people that do dress up: do they typically dress up for the entire night, or do they dress up for dinner, and then put on something more casual for the clubs or other nighttime entertainment activities? Thanks.

Old June 12th, 2011, 03:00 PM
Cool Cruiser

Personally..I like to get dressed up..and stay dressed up for the whole evening. I don't dress up much so when I do get to. I like to stay that way for a while.

Carnival Valor out of Miami May 2006
Carnival Miracle out of NYC September 2008
Carnival Pride out of Baltimore June 2010
Honeymoon Carnival Valor Miami October 2011

Old June 12th, 2011, 06:19 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcuchio24 View Post
Correct. It's usually sunday and thursday, but since HMC is on sunday they do it monday and thursday instead.
Did this itinerary in April also; no HMC on this cruise but Nassau on Sunday. Formal nites were Monday and Thursday.

Old June 12th, 2011, 09:03 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by usafchick1980 View Post
Personally..I like to get dressed up..and stay dressed up for the whole evening. I don't dress up much so when I do get to. I like to stay that way for a while.
Although, men's formal attire is very heavy and impractical for the Caribbean, especially when dancing at a club. Which is why I was hoping to be able to remove it after dinner.

Old June 12th, 2011, 09:40 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Formal or Elegant Nights

Formal night is always in the evening of "at sea" days. Some people stay dressed up the entire evening, others prefer to change into more casual attire.

If you don't pose for photos at the areas Carnival photographers have set up, have a fellow passenger use your camera to take a few shots

Old June 12th, 2011, 09:43 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibratPDX View Post
Formal night is always in the evening of "at sea" days. Some people stay dressed up the entire evening, others prefer to change into more casual attire.

If you don't pose for photos at the areas Carnival photographers have set up, have a fellow passenger use your camera to take a few shots
On my cruise (which starts and ends on a Saturday), the sea days are Monday and Friday. Since Friday is the last day of the cruise, I doubt that's a formal night. I'm guessing they are Monday and Thursday. Although, Thursday, we are in port until 5:30 PM, so having formal night on Thursday night would be a pain.

Old June 12th, 2011, 10:55 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
Thanks for all that info. For the people that do dress up: do they typically dress up for the entire night, or do they dress up for dinner, and then put on something more casual for the clubs or other nighttime entertainment activities? Thanks.
I have used both of these options

If I am feeling comfortable and my feet do not hurt from my shoes I will stay dressed up until the wee hours

Other times I am just so ready to get out of my dressy clothes that I head back to the cabin and change.

You will see a mix throughout the night. Some people stay dressed, some change and some never dressed up at all and opted to eat on the Lido Deck.

One of my favorite photos I took on a cruise was while my BF (at the time) and I sat in our casual coverups eating sushi on the Promenade Deck with our new cruise freinds who were in Tux and gown ready to go to Early Dinner....we were having a snack before getting ready for Late seating......you will see quite a mix all evening on all nights!
05/11 - Carnival VALOR
03/11 - Carnival LIBERTY
04/09 - Carnival LIBERTY
02/09 - Carnival FREEDOM
11/06 - Carnival LEGEND
01/06 - Carnival GLORY
04/05 - Carnival TRIUMPH
07/03 - Carnival DESTINY
04/03 - Carnival TRIUMPH