Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "P - Z" > Princess Cruises

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Princess Cruises
Read thousands of Princess Cruise Reviews from real cruisers and compare the best Princess Cruise Deals

NEW! Find Your PRINCESS Roll Call

Old June 7th, 2011, 11:14 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Tell me about Princess pottery classes!

I'm going to be on the Island Princess in a few weeks. I've heard they have pottery classes. Just curious how the classes work: when to sign-up, cost, what you make, any details. I'm really hoping to give this a try so thanks for any info!
Carnival Inspiration - Cozumel
NCL Sky - Bahamas
NCL Pearl - Alaska
Carnival Valor - W. Caribbean
Carnival Triumph - E. Caribbean
Carnival Fascination - Bahamas
Carnival Glory - W. Caribbean
Princess Island Princess - Alaska
Carnival Miracle - Alaska
Upcoming - NCL Epic - Mediterranean

Ad Sponsored By
Old June 7th, 2011, 11:48 AM
5,000+ Club

I've read old posts that the Island Princess has pottery wheels where they'll teach a few people at a time how to throw (or at least a few of the fundamentals). People have reported making 3-4 bowls. It's different from the paint-your-own type experience, which is also offered. You'll be actually making your own piece and not just buying a molded piece that's already been bisqued that just needs to be glazed.

When we sailed on the Island Princess, the "ceramics at sea" was listed in the second Patter (first full day).

Last edited by geoherb; June 7th, 2011 at 11:52 AM.

Old June 7th, 2011, 03:41 PM
Cool Cruiser

Hi, It has been a few years since I did the pottery on the Coral Princess but it was a great laugh. A small group of you have a 'wheel' each and the teacher shows you how to throw a pot and you then have a go, and generally re-do it several times as it is harder than it looks. We had rough seas on the day we did it but I don't think I can totally blame that for the wonky vases. We made about 5 small bowls (yes some started as a vase in my head but ended up as a bowl ) The items are then put in the kiln to bake and dry and you meet a few days later to paint the items, they take them away again to dry the paint and we had a meeting with some drinks to collect them towards the end of the cruise. We did sign up as soon as it was in the patter. I'd say if you are interested in anything crafty, go for it.

Old June 8th, 2011, 12:25 AM
Cool Cruiser

I try to either do the purchase and paint item or throw a bowl and paint it. Great item to take come to remember your trip. There is a pretty good charge for throwing your own. Be sure to check on this before you get started so there are no suprises.