Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "P - Z" > Princess Cruises

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Princess Cruises
- Read thousands of Princess Cruise Reviews
- Compare the best Princess Cruise Deals
- Write a Princess Cruise Review
- Find Your Princess Roll Call
See posts about:
Caribbean Princess
Diamond Princess
Island Princess
Royal Princess
Sun Princess

Coral Princess
Emerald Princess
Ocean Princess
Ruby Princess
Star Princess

Crown Princess
Golden Princess
Pacific Princess
Sapphire Princess

Dawn Princess
Grand Princess
Regal Princess
Sea Princess

Old June 10th, 2011, 07:26 PM
5,000+ Club

Exclamation Mexico Itinerary changes - Sapphire Princess

FYI... Rumor has it that Princess is considering dropping Puerto Vallarta as well as Mazatlan on the three Mexican Riviera cruises on the Sapphire Princess at the end of this year. Apparently she will overnite in Cabo and also visit Ensenada instead...

Old June 10th, 2011, 07:27 PM
10,000+ Club

I think it's getting to the why bother stage on Mexican Riviera cruises.
April 15...Hawaii Land Trip
Nov 15...Celebrity Reflection E Caribbean
May 16...Celebrity Constellation Rome to Venice

Hawaii - VCR Celebrity Solstice 2014/Paris Land Trip/Hawaii Land Trip X 2 - 2013/Grand Med. - Ruby Princess/South of France 2012/Hawaii - Land Trip 2012/Hawaii - Land Trip - 2011/Panama Canal and Florida Keys - Coral Princess - 2011/Eastern Caribbean - Ruby Princess - 2010/France 3 Week Land Trip - Burgundy/Loire/Normandy/French Riviera/Provence 2010/Mexican Riviera - Sapphire Princess 2009/Coastal - Sapphire Princess 2009/Alaska - Voyage of the Glaciers - Zuiderdam - 2009/Greek Islands cruise + Monaco and Paris by land - Grand Princess - 2008/Land Trip - Maui - 2008/3 Week Land - Paris to Rome - 2007/Hawaii - Pride of America - 2007/14 Day Caribbean - Sea Princess - 2006/Coastal - Dawn Princess - 2006/Barcelona to Venice - Millennium - 2005/UK & Ireland - Land Trip - 2004/AI Mexican Riviera -2003/Coastal - Island Princess - 2002/Maui - Land Trip x 2/Alaska - Dawn Princess - 2001/UK Land Trip x 3/11 Day Circle the Caribbean - Splendour of the Seas - 2000/Mexican Riviera - Rhapsody of the Seas - 1999/2 Week Land Bermuda - Girls Trip - 1997/Married - Maui - 1997

Old June 10th, 2011, 07:28 PM
Cool Cruiser

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickEk View Post
FYI... Rumor has it that Princess is considering dropping Puerto Vallarta as well as Mazatlan on the three Mexican Riviera cruises on the Sapphire Princess at the end of this year. Apparently she will overnite in Cabo and also visit Ensenada instead...
Lets hope not that would be terrible! PV is awesome and MZT is a quaint spot (not a fan of where the ships dock there though).

Old June 10th, 2011, 07:29 PM
20,000+ Club

She would probably be best doing California coast cruises instead. Those are selling like hot cakes!

Old June 10th, 2011, 07:34 PM
10,000+ Club

I vote for Vancouver - Hawaii 10 Day Cruise. Hawaii to Vancouver - 10 Day Cruise. Vancouver to San Diego - 7 Day Cruise. San Diego to Vancouver - 7 Day Cruise... REPEAT.

Hawaii - VCR Celebrity Solstice 2014/Paris Land Trip/Hawaii Land Trip X 2 - 2013/Grand Med. - Ruby Princess/South of France 2012/Hawaii - Land Trip 2012/Hawaii - Land Trip - 2011/Panama Canal and Florida Keys - Coral Princess - 2011/Eastern Caribbean - Ruby Princess - 2010/France 3 Week Land Trip - Burgundy/Loire/Normandy/French Riviera/Provence 2010/Mexican Riviera - Sapphire Princess 2009/Coastal - Sapphire Princess 2009/Alaska - Voyage of the Glaciers - Zuiderdam - 2009/Greek Islands cruise + Monaco and Paris by land - Grand Princess - 2008/Land Trip - Maui - 2008/3 Week Land - Paris to Rome - 2007/Hawaii - Pride of America - 2007/14 Day Caribbean - Sea Princess - 2006/Coastal - Dawn Princess - 2006/Barcelona to Venice - Millennium - 2005/UK & Ireland - Land Trip - 2004/AI Mexican Riviera -2003/Coastal - Island Princess - 2002/Maui - Land Trip x 2/Alaska - Dawn Princess - 2001/UK Land Trip x 3/11 Day Circle the Caribbean - Splendour of the Seas - 2000/Mexican Riviera - Rhapsody of the Seas - 1999/2 Week Land Bermuda - Girls Trip - 1997/Married - Maui - 1997

Ad Sponsored By
Old June 10th, 2011, 07:47 PM
20,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruise Junky View Post
I vote for Vancouver - Hawaii 10 Day Cruise. Hawaii to Vancouver - 10 Day Cruise. Vancouver to San Diego - 7 Day Cruise. San Diego to Vancouver - 7 Day Cruise... REPEAT.
Those would be good ones also!

Old June 10th, 2011, 07:50 PM
Cool Cruiser

I always thought Cabo was the nicest of those three ports and I like Ensenada too. If the rumor mill is right, then it sounds like a good decision to me. I would also like to see Princess do a lot more West Coast cruises out of L.A. I think the ports of call from San Diego to Victoria are spectacular.
Cunard, Sagafjord (Pacific Coastal), Admiral Cruises, Star Dancer (Mexico), HAL old Noordam (Caribbean), NCL Norway (Caribbean), NCL Seaward (Caribbean), NCL Pride of America (Hawaii), Celebrity Century (Caribbean), Celebrity Mercury (Caribbean), Celebrity Constellation (Scandinavia/Russia), Celebrity Infinity (Hawaii), Renaissance R4 (currently sailing as Ocean Princess) (Tahiti), old Crown Princess (Caribbean), Dawn Princess (Alaska), Star Princess (Australia/New Zealand and Mexico), Golden Princess (Mediterranean, Canada/New England, Mediterranean/Transatlantic, and Hawaii), Sapphire Princess (Alaska, California Coastal, Mexican Riviera, Mexico Christmas Cruise, 4-day Coastal Getaway x 2, and Pacific Coastal), new Crown Princess (Bermuda/Caribbean, California Coastal, and Mexico Christmas Cruise), Emerald Princess (Canada/New England)

Old June 10th, 2011, 07:58 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Patches View Post
I always thought Cabo was the nicest of those three ports and I like Ensenada too. If the rumor mill is right, then it sounds like a good decision to me. I would also like to see Princess do a lot more West Coast cruises out of L.A. I think the ports of call from San Diego to Victoria are spectacular.
Those are great. I would like to see Huatulco instead of Ensenada though... RickEk, thanks for the info!

Next:

Past:

2008 - Monarch of the Seas - 4 days
2009 - Carnival Paradise - 4 days
2010 - Sapphire Princess - 7 days - Mexico
2010 - Golden Princess - 14 Days - Hawaii
2011 - Golden Princess - 14 days - Hawaii
2011 - Golden Princess - 14 days - Hawaii
2012 - Golden Princess - 14 days - Hawaii
2012 - Sapphire Princess - 14 days - Hawaii
2012 - Carnival Splendor - 7 days - Mexico
2013 - Sapphire Princess - 7 days - California Coastal
2014 - Sapphire Princess - 4 days - Getaway

Old June 10th, 2011, 08:15 PM
20,000+ Club

Rumor appears to be true - people are reporting the changes:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showt...1#post29403416

Old June 10th, 2011, 09:27 PM
Cool Cruiser

I too would like a stop in Huatulco instead of Ensenada if that is the new plan. We have enjoyed many cruises down to Mexico with stops in PV, Mazatlan, and the 1/2 day in Cabo so an itinerary change is OK with us..just not Ensenada if that can be helped. A stop in San Diego would be preferable..JMHO. And to note the water going North is bumpier and lumpier that going south along the West Coast...

Old June 10th, 2011, 09:32 PM
Cool Cruiser

why call it a "Mexican" cruise??? I love the west coast cruises, but crave the warmer weather of Mexico. Most of these coastal cruises are just to cold for us from Vancouver

Old June 10th, 2011, 10:05 PM
Cool Cruiser

if they remove PV then I'm done altogether with West Coast cruises. Cabo is my LEAST favorite, since there is no charm nor culture -- basically it's an extension of Southern CA as far as I'm concerned.
I loved Maz and PV, but of course understand fully why Maz was cancelled, but i'm not up to date on why PV is being cancelled. if it's for the same reasons as Maz, then that's a real shame.

And I do not ever want to go to Ensenada, especially after my friend jusrt got back from there and reported that there was a dude on the corner trying to sell 3-week-old puppies to people. DISGUSTING... animal cruelty
Carnival Holiday 1992; RCCL Monarch of the Seas 1994; Celebrity Infinity 2001; Star Princess 2003; Diamond Princess 2004, 2005; Sapphire Princess 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011; Emerald Princess 2008; RCCL Mariner of the Seas 2010; Golden Princess 2003, 2007, 2011; Celebrity Equinox 2013; Celebrity Equinox 2014; Grand Princess Alaska 2014

Old June 10th, 2011, 10:06 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default PV ?? Really??

I absolutely love Puerto Vallarta and was planning on a Princess Mexican Riviera cruise next year but probably not if they cancel PV. I have not heard of any issues there, did something change?? I am not a huge fan of Cabo -- don't get me wrong, it's ok just not PV. And Mazatlan is right up there with Acapulco in the disgusting ick factor. But really, Ensenada ...that's better than PV? NO it is not. What a shame. Might be looking for a different itinerary...

PS -- kind of like Manzanillo and Ixtapa -- would be nice if they could add those.

Old June 10th, 2011, 10:11 PM
Cool Cruiser

I had been planning to book the Mex Riv as my first cruise, but after tons of research found that more and more often cruise lines are cancelling those ports due to local unrest. As such, my friends and I choose a Caribbean cruise instead. While we love Mexico and have been on land vacations, it would be a waste to spend so much and not see much of it.

Sea Princess ~ Alaska ~ May 13 - 23, 2012...First Cruise Completed! It was AWESOME!!
Celebrity Summit ~ Caribbean ~ Nov. 1 - 8, 2014...Yeah Man!

Old June 10th, 2011, 10:12 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by califgary View Post
Lets hope not that would be terrible! PV is awesome and MZT is a quaint spot (not a fan of where the ships dock there though).
MZT is not my favorite place to dock either but beats Vancouver, beautiful but don't go if two or more ships are in port same time. I vote to keep mexico personaly always enjoyed the ports, we were there Thanksgiving and still felt safe.

Old June 10th, 2011, 10:13 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default bummer

Rick,

thanks for the info, as always. But, I agree with Cruise Junky: if they drop both MZ and PV what's the point? I was never a huge fan of MZ, but loved PV.

As an alternative, I'd also like to see Manzanillo and/or Ixtapa, but who knows if there's any chance of that, at least this year. Huatulco would be nice, but I'm pretty sure it's way too far south to include in a 7-day RT from LA.

I'm mostly bummed because my parents have booked one of the December trips. It's only their second cruise ever, and their first on their own, and I know they'll be very disappointed. I hope we know for sure before Final Payment date so they may be able to change their plans.

Really disappointing.

5:00_Somewhere & SoxFanCruiser

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." -- Samuel Clemens (a.k.a. "Mark Twain")

Looking Forward To:
January 2015 - Golden Princess, South America/Cape Horn
Nov 2015 - Royal Princess, S Carib Medley

Fondly Remembered:
♦ Oct 2000 - Sun Princess, Mex Riv ♦ Mar 2003 - Golden Princess, E Carib ♦ Feb 2004 - Grand Princess, W Carib ♦ Mar 2006 - Star ("Char") Princess, W Carib ♦ Dec 2006 - Caribbean Princess, E Carib ♦ Sep 2007 - Tahitian Princess, Fr Polynesia - Hawaii ♦ Feb 2008 - Golden Princess, Mex Riv ♦ Jun 2008 - Caribbean Princess, E Carib (NYC RT) ♦ Dec 2008 - Ruby Princess, W Carib ♦ Jun 2009 - Diamond Princess, Alaska (Glaciers + Land Tour) ♦ Oct 2009 - Caribbean Princess, SE Carib (NYC-San Juan Repo) ♦ Feb 2010 - Ruby Princess, SE Carib ♦ Oct 2010 - Ruby Princess, E Carib ♦ Dec 2010 - Crown Princess, W Carib ♦ Apr 2011 - Coral Princess, Panama Canal (Full Transit) ♦ Dec 2011 - Crown Princess, S Carib ♦ Mar 2012 - Crown Princess, SW Carib
♦ Dec 2012 - Ruby Princess, E Carib ♦ Apr 2013 - Priorities (Catamaran), BVI 50th B-Day charter ♦ Nov 2013 - Royal Princess, E Carib ♦ Jan 2014 - Caribbean Princess, W Carib ♦ Nov 2014 - Regal Princess, E Carib

Old June 10th, 2011, 10:15 PM
Cool Cruiser

Exclamation

I do not understand the thinking of Princess. PV is great, I do not know where
the violence is except maybe getting hit by a taxi. Substituting Ensenada is a joke,
why not Manzanillo. I would like to see Huatulco but it is too far. People cruise
to Mexico because they want warm weather.
Since I live 40 miles n. of Ensenada, I can tell you it is not that warm in the winter.

This is a huge mistake, if they want to eliminate Mexico for cruising then just
reschedule the ships to Australia.

Greg

Old June 10th, 2011, 10:21 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by casavaha View Post
I do not understand the thinking of Princess. PV is great, I do not know where
the violence is except maybe getting hit by a taxi. Substituting Ensenada is a joke,
why not Manzanillo. I would like to see Huatulco but it is too far. People cruise
to Mexico because they want warm weather.
Since I live 40 miles n. of Ensenada, I can tell you it is not that warm in the winter.

This is a huge mistake, if they want to eliminate Mexico for cruising then just
reschedule the ships to Australia.

Greg
Might have stemmed from the Canadian guy that was stabbed 25 times this week.

Old June 10th, 2011, 10:22 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Uhhh ???

The only thing remotely attractive about doing the MR is Puerto Vallarta

Srpilo

~~ Caribbean Princess ~~
Southampton to New York 16 day Transatlantic September 5th 2015

Last edited by srpilo; June 10th, 2011 at 10:22 PM.

Old June 10th, 2011, 10:25 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruise Junky View Post
Might have stemmed from the Canadian guy that was stabbed 25 times this week.
Hmmm... maybe, but he was a resident.

http://edmonton.ctv.ca/servlet/an/lo...b=EdmontonHome