Oasis 5/28-6/4/11 - rants, raves & ramblings, a review

Background:

Initially, I had no interest in sailing on the Oasis of the Seas. I was a closet NOOT – too big, too crowded, a floating monster. Then all the positive reviews on Cruise Critic peaked my interest. As a thank you to all who have previously posted reviews, and for whatever help it may be to anyone considering the Oasis, here is my first ever review. It is long and rambling (and I’d apologize for that except I turned 60 four days before the cruise so I am now a crotchety old lady :p:D).

Because we are raising our grandson (DGS, who will be 11 this month), we have to cruise at peak times, and I just couldn't justify the prices they were asking for the Oasis. However, when Royal offered a nice senior discount for the May 28th sailing together with a really great third person rate for an ocean view balcony, it was just too good of a deal to pass up.

Still, I was apprehensive that the Oasis would not live up to all the hype. Oh, but she did! The Oasis is truly a beautiful ship and, even though the weather was less than perfect, we had a fantastic cruise!

~ Judy

Day 1

We drove over to Fort Lauderdale the day before and stayed at Hampton Inn Airport Cruise Port North. We have stayed here several times before because the rooms are clean, the staff is friendly, and we can leave our car there and take their free shuttle to and from the port.

Embarkation was a breeze! We arrived around 11 AM and there were no lines and lots of friendly personnel. Checked in, had welcome aboard photographs taken and went up to the waiting room, where we no sooner got grandson's muster station wristband then it was time to board.

The Royal Promenade was awesome and I especially loved the fountains and lights under the Rising Tide Bar. This picture doesn't do it justice but the lights under the fountain kept changing colors and this one looked almost like flames with the dancing water.

risingtide-fountains1.jpg

At 11:30, we went up to Central Park and grabbed an outside table at the Park Café. Because it had just opened for lunch, there was a long line inside but it moved quickly enough. And within a few minutes, we were sitting down enjoying those great roast beef sandwiches, salads, and flavored water.

I also made our reservations at Chops. Because grandson is under 13, I could not make them online. We then went down to deck 6 to check out the Boardwalk and discovered that our cabin was already ready. It was only 12:40. My first surprise was the size of the room. It was a lot bigger than I expected after some of the reviews I had read. Plenty of storage space for the 3 of us. The closet was a little tight (and not deep enough to hang garment bag in it) but no big deal. I loved have the sofa next to the balcony! It really opened the room.

I had chosen a deck 6 oceanview balcony cabin because I wanted to be nearer the water. It was very near the aft elevator lobby. Boardwalk was just to the aft and the lobby overlooked the Royal Promenade one deck down. I loved this location! Got to see/do many unplanned things simply because we were in the right place at the right time!

If I had to get to the forward part of the ship (grandson’s Adventure Ocean was on deck 14 forward), I would grab an elevator to Central Park deck 8 if one was coming or just go down the stairs to the Royal Promenade to cut through to the forward elevators.

Cabin 6678 can actually hold 4 (or maybe 5) but was great for the 3 of us because we could leave the sofa bed closed at night, giving us more room and making it easy to get to the balcony where I enjoyed a glass of wine in peaceful solitude before retreating for the night.

stateroom1.jpgstateroom2.jpg

(Pullman bed made up with head at wrong end first night)

While not a big deal on higher decks, it also was above the opening in the lifeboats so I could see straight down and watch the Kelvin wake patterns once we were underway.

lifeboats-forward.jpglifeboats-aft.jpg

Edited by FloridaPalms

Because of DGS, we opted for the Dreamworks sailaway party at the Aquatheater over the pool party. Quite enjoyable!

dreamworks-sailaway.jpg

In checking out our table in the MDR, I noticed there were a lot more 2-tops and 4-tops than I had seen on other ships. We were on Opus 4 and, much to the dismay of DH and DGS, had a table just for us as I had requested prior to sailing. Like them, I enjoy meeting new tablemates but with all the specialty restaurant choices, I was fearful of being the only ones at a large table.

opus1.jpgopus2.jpg

Dinner first night – Vidalia Onion Tart, DH & DGS had Prime Rib, and I had Pan-Fried Port Medallions with Chocolate Cherry Cake for dessert. All yummy!

We had pre-booked all our entertainment online and tonight was Hairspray. From the great sets to the talented performers, it was simply excellent!!! Don’t miss it! Afterwards, we wound up catching the last half hour of Oasis of Dreams from deck 7 above the Aquatheater. Fantastic!

~ Judy

Day 2

Luckily, we had pre-booked the very popular free Dreamworks breakfast. While chocolate shakes and other chocolate items were featured, we opted for cheese omelets and other standard fare. I'm a chocolaholic but not at 8 in the morning. Our characters were Alex the lion, Gloria the hippo, and King Julian the lemur. They each did a little dance number and then visited every table with a crewmember that offered to take pictures with your camera. Very nice! I attempted to book it again for later in the week but there were no openings.

gloria.jpg

NO! I’m the one on your RIGHT!

This was a sea day. DH and I enjoyed one of the cantilever hot tubs while DGS enjoyed his first morning at Adventure Ocean club. Around 10:30 am, it poured for about half an hour. We were sitting in the smoking area by the Pool Bar. I couldn’t help but wonder how many unattended “reserved” chairs were being soaked. On the bright side, when the sun came out again, I’m sure there were many people happy to get a lounger by the pools. Lunch at Windjammer was lackluster at best.

We enjoyed exploring the ship and all the great artwork. If I ever sail Oasis again, I think I would try to take the art tour. There are some really wonderful pieces onboard with the greatest work of art being the Oasis herself!

art-wall.jpg

art-seagulls.jpg

DGS and I were on a mission all that week to find all of the Small Wonders. These are 3D pictures in viewmasters, objects in magnifying telescopes, and objects mounted on the walls. Here are pictures he took of a couple of his favorites:

art-sw-shells.jpg art-sw-snake.jpg

It was the first formal night and most people dressed nicely although, from what I noticed, they dressed up even more the second formal night with a lot of suits and a smattering of tuxes. I was very disappointed in the in the formal portraits we had taken outside of the dining room before dinner. We were against a black background but, when they were developed, it was a hideous red background with red lighting on our hair! :eek: I mentioned my disappointment at Focus but was told each photographer displays examples of what the finished portrait will look like. Whatever. Saved me the cost of purchasing them and I made sure I had better ones taken on the second formal night.

Our headwaiter greeted us at our table (550) and asked if we would mind moving to another 4-top just a few tables away (556). He wanted to use our table to join it with a large family’s table. No problem. A few minutes after we were seated at our new table, he came by with a bottle of champagne for our troubles. Very nice! And while our first waitress and assistant waiter were efficient, our new waitress Rose and assistant waiter Ardee were gems! Excellent friendly service!

Dinner second night – Shrimp Cocktail, Lobster Bisque, DH had Filet of Beef, DGS has Shrimp Ravioli, and I had Roasted Duck. Desserts were Bittersweet Chocolate Soufflé and Double Strawberry Cheesecake. Ranged from very good to good. But, because I didn’t have to do anything, they were all great as far as I was concerned!

~ Judy

Day 3

This was our first time at Labadee. RCCL had a ferry across from the ship at the dock that provided free one-way transportation to Columbus Cove. We took this, saving the walk to the tram. The day was overcast but enjoyable and Labadee is very scenic. Does anyone know anything about the history of this old stone building there?

labadee3.jpglabadee4.jpg

We didn't do the Aqua Park but DGS enjoyed the water play area next to the Adventure Ocean area as well a dip in the ocean.

labadee1.jpglabadee2.jpg

~ Judy

Loving the review so far! Can't wait to get to try this class of ship out one day....

Cheers,

Thank you. Yes, I am so glad we finally gave it a try. One word sums it up - AWESOME!!! Everything about it seemed better than any of the other ships we've been on.

~ Judy

After the barbeque lunch, which we thought was better than we expected, we took the tram back to the ship where DGS enjoyed the relatively empty H2O area.

h2o-1.jpg

We had 5:00 pm reservations for Frozen in Time (a few days before we sailed, RCCL had changed it from our originally booked Day 4 slot). Another fantastic not-to-be-missed show!

Dinner at MDR and Rose surprised us the next night by bringing out our unfinished champagne, still nice and bubbly. And went well with dinner of Antipasti (DH), Scallop Risotto (my favorite!), Rigatoni Pasta (DH), Garlic Tiger Shrimp (DGS and me). All very yummy!

We caught some of the Calypso Street Party in the Royal Promenade and later leisurely cut through Central Park to pick up DGS from club. CP is simply breathtaking at night!

cp-night1.jpgcp-night2.jpg

We had reservations for the 9:30 Oasis of Dreams show. Yet another fantastic not-to-be-missed show, it was great to see it from both viewing perspectives.

Next up – Falmouth Day 4 :(

~ Judy

We were on the same cruise as you with a party of six ranging in age from 28 to 68. Hubby and I have sailed Oasis before and also on Allure three times. The others in our party were new to Oasis. It was fun to see their reactions and what stood out to them. My biggest disappointment was that I couldn't interest any of them in riding on the carrosel, always a big thrill for me---the perpetual child.

I thought we'd all be eager to ride the Wave Bar up and down, but was surprised at the resistance by some of the group to that experience.

I'm enjoying your review and photos. I'm amazed you could get such clear photos of the "Small Wonders" art work. I never tire of looking in these little things. My fave was the one with the ducklings seeming to leap right at me.

I also like your photo of the multi-colored birds at the forward elevators. They fascinate me as much as the beaded gowns at the aft elevators on Allure.

Can't wait to read more of your review.

Judy-I am really enjoying your review and pictures!! I was also hesitant to book this Mamoth Ship, but after reading many reviews, and seeing it in person last year at St. Thomas-I was hooked! We will be boarding her in Sept-can't wait.

Thanks for taking the time to post this great review. We've had the Oasis and the Allure booked several times but have always had a conflict. Now we're booking for November and are going come whatever ... MK

We were on the same cruise as you with a party of six ranging in age from 28 to 68. Hubby and I have sailed Oasis before and also on Allure three times. The others in our party were new to Oasis. It was fun to see their reactions and what stood out to them. My biggest disappointment was that I couldn't interest any of them in riding on the carrosel, always a big thrill for me---the perpetual child.

I thought we'd all be eager to ride the Wave Bar up and down, but was surprised at the resistance by some of the group to that experience.

I'm enjoying your review and photos. I'm amazed you could get such clear photos of the "Small Wonders" art work. I never tire of looking in these little things. My fave was the one with the ducklings seeming to leap right at me.

I also like your photo of the multi-colored birds at the forward elevators. They fascinate me as much as the beaded gowns at the aft elevators on Allure.

Can't wait to read more of your review.

I rode the Carousel several times! Like I said, I had just turned 60 and to paraphrase RCCL's horrible slogan, my new mantra is why not! Sadly, I missed out on riding the Rising Tide Bar - not enough days in the week.

Judy-I am really enjoying your review and pictures!! I was also hesitant to book this Mamoth Ship, but after reading many reviews, and seeing it in person last year at St. Thomas-I was hooked! We will be boarding her in Sept-can't wait.

Thanks for taking the time to post this great review. We've had the Oasis and the Allure booked several times but have always had a conflict. Now we're booking for November and are going come whatever ... MK

cruzkitty and 05mak05 - you will love her! Have a great cruise!

~ Judy

Day 4 – Falmouth Sea Day

Sorry but this is the only major negative in this review. :( This port is simply not ready. Construction is still ongoing, although most of the workers simply stood or sat and stared at the ship while we were in port. I’m hoping it will be complete for our November cruise, but I don’t have high hopes.

falmouth1.jpg

falmouth2.jpg

falmouth3.jpg

falmouth4.jpg

The day started out overcast and as gloomy as this port felt. We enjoyed a leisurely room service breakfast on our balcony while people watching those disembarking the ship and then, we too, eventually went ashore.

We passed on RCCL’s offer of a free shuttle to Rose Hall (for those looking for better shopping). The vendors outside the port buildings offered all the same merchandise. Some tried to act like they were the actual artisans, lacquering or chipping away at wooden carvings but the identical products leaves me to believe they are all imported from China. That said, I did purchase a cute turtle carving with a baby turtle on its back and, within half an hour, we were back on the ship where we enjoyed an early lunch at Park Café. Roast beef sandwiches, good. Oriental salad with shrimp, good. Waldorf salad, good. Park Café, good.

parkcafe1.jpg

Waiting for Park Cafe to open for lunch

~ Judy

Day 4 continued

We had met a couple who had ventured into town. They said it was very scary and that they immediately headed back to the ship.

Later, we watched from our balcony as they prepared the ship to depart Falmouth. First one gangway was removed, then the canopy, then the pier computer sea pass check-in. All the while passengers were still returning, right up until they were pulling away the last gangway. No cries of “Run, Forest, Run!” You couldn’t help but feel empathy toward these people. I don’t know if it was ship excursions or private excursions, or both, that led to so many people being late. But I highly recommend ship only excursions until this port gets its act together. You do NOT want to be left behind here!!!

We got a half-hearted sendoff from the port and then headed to dinner. DH had the Angus, done medium as ordered, very tender, with Cream of Mushroom soup. DGS and I had the Surf & Turf, also very good, with Caesar salads. Banana Cream Pie for dessert. Yummy!

Then, to make up for Falmouth, mother nature rewarded us with a simply magnificent sunset and the promise of great things to come!

sunset1.jpg

sunset2.jpg

~ Judy

Judy

Loving your review. We will be on the Oasis in Dec. doing the same Itin. I am hoping that Falmouth will be a little more completed by that time we get there. This will be our first time on the Oasis. Really looking forward to exploring this ship.

Judi :)

Judy,

Nice meeting you and keep up the review!

Right back at you. I was so envious that you and your wife got to do B2B. We've yet to do an Eastern. How was the second week?

Judy,

We are going on the 18th of June, thank you for this review and the pictures! Love it :)

Judy

Loving your review. We will be on the Oasis in Dec. doing the same Itin. I am hoping that Falmouth will be a little more completed by that time we get there. This will be our first time on the Oasis. Really looking forward to exploring this ship.

Judi :)

lapi and LABCHICK - You're welcome and have a great cruise!

~ Judy

Judi

Great review! Really can't be your first?! I love your photos. We are doing Eastern in Dec, and though we've cruised a long time with Royal, we like a bargain and when these big ships were new, the other ships were such good bargains. :p ( I spend too much on my land based trips to splurge on a cruise!) Then we fell in love with Voyager class, and we were not sure about the " big ship". But the price, along with the overwhelmingly positive reviews, made it the right time to try Oasis. Based on your review, looks like we will love it!

I'm so glad you had a great trip- and it looks ideal for your grandson!

Great job with your review! I'm really enjoying it! I especially like hearing what you grandson liked as we will we going on the Allure next year with our 4 kids. I didn't even know about the separate sail away party.

After reading several threads re: the chocolate breakfast I'm still confused as to whether it's available only at the character breakfast, or certain days, or any day. Can you clear this up for me, please?

Familygoboston - Thanks, it is. I'm a bargain hunter also. Problem was, last August when I was planning this year's cruise, the prices were sky high for ALL the ships! :eek: Then I spied a price drop on this May 28th cruise (and DGS's school let out May 25th). It was $1500 cheaper than same Oasis western sailing in June. It was, at least at the time, even cheaper than May 29th Freedom western sailing. The clincher was a D4 3rd person rate of (only!) $699 (remember, I'm used to paying PEAK sailing time prices). The icing on the cake came prior to final payment when a senior discount reduced the total by almost $500 and lowered the 3rd person to $583. So my advice to everyone is to keep checking prices, you never know.

drmomto3kids - I believe it is only offered at the Character Breakfasts which is on the mornings of the three sea days. All the chocolate items were listed on a special Dreamworks menu. That said, they do have the other side of the MDR open for non Dreamworks diners and I guess you could request some of the chocolate items. And as far as kids, the Adventure Ocean facilities, as well as shipboard family activities, will blow you away! :D

Have a great cruise!

~ Judy