Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > New Cruisers > First Time Cruisers

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

First Time Cruisers You May Also Want to Read: Over 4,000 Published Cruise Reviews by First Time Cruisers

Best advice for first-time cruisers; learn how to pick a cabin, find the best cruise bargain, tips on what to pack.

Browse Cruise Critic's First Time Cruiser Resources (articles)

Old June 18th, 2011, 11:57 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Prescription Medicine - refill on board?

My wife has frequent migraines and takes prescription pain medication for them. Because they are controlled substance, they cannot be filled but once a month (2 days max prior to 30 days from previous fill). Our cruise leaves on the 25th of this month and the earliest we can get a refill of her medication is the 28th.

Question is: can the doctor on board fill a medication prescription?

Carnival Mardi Gras - 4 night Bahamas, 25Feb86 (Honeymoon)
Island Princess - 7 night Alaska SB, 25May11 (25th Anniversary) - MISSED BOAT DUE TO AIRPLANE PROBLEMS
Coral Princess - 7 night Alaska SB, 25Jun11 (second try)

Ad Sponsored By
Old June 18th, 2011, 12:03 PM
50,000+ Club

I would say almost for certain NO. We did get them to write scripts when Ike was going to hit Galveston and we overnighted in Cozumel until the storm passed, and they could not tell us when we would get back.

We then paid to take a taxi to the hospital, who charged us $60 to rewrite the scripts with a Mexican doctor's signature, which we then took a taxi to the largest pharmacy in town, and amazingly enough managed to get a weeks worth of prescribed medication. (another $100 in cash). These were seizure drugs and I wasnt able to sleep so scared my sister would run out and we also had the original pill bottles the prescibed drugs came in.

Since your drugs might not be so heavily controlled, they might have them onboard, but I would guess not.

Old June 18th, 2011, 12:04 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by engrdad View Post
My wife has frequent migraines and takes prescription pain medication for them. Because they are controlled substance, they cannot be filled but once a month (2 days max prior to 30 days from previous fill). Our cruise leaves on the 25th of this month and the earliest we can get a refill of her medication is the 28th.

No, they do not have a pharmacy on board. You might try telling your local pharmacy that we will be out of the country on re-fill day and they might do it earlier. Up until last year I didn't know I could do this.
Ocean Princess - Western Mediterranean - 10/10 -- Ruby Princess - Eastern Caribbean - 3/10 -- Island Princess - Coastal 5/09 -- Sapphire Princess - New Zealand/Australia 3/08 -- Sapphire Princess - Coastal 5/07 -- Tahitian Princess - Tahiti/Hawaii 7/06 -- Island Princess - Coastal/Alaska 5/06 -- Golden Princess - Southern Caribbean 9/04 -- Sun Princess - Coastal - 4/04 -- Sun Princess - Panama Canal - 4/01 -- Carnival - Caribbean - 11/00 -- Royal Caribbean - Caribbean 7/99 -- Grand Princess - Caribbean - 11/98 -- Pacific Princess - Mediterranean - 11/97 -- Sun Princess - Western Caribbean - 12/95 -- Regal Princess - Western Caribbean - 11/94 -- Dawn Princess - Mexico 5/93 -- Dawn Princess - Mexico 4/93 -- Fair Princess - Mexico - 12/92 -- Regal Princess - Alaska - 5/92 -- Regal Princess - Eastern Caribbean - 8/91 -- Fairsky - Western Caribbean - 4/87 -- Fairwind - Eastern Caribbean - 4/84

Old June 18th, 2011, 12:06 PM
50,000+ Club

Quote:

If you are willing to pay cash, you can probably take the bottle to a drug store with the script and they can look up the medication in a book and probably fill it. The names of drugs seem to change a little in other countries, but it could be done that way if you are willing to pay cash.

Some countries will fill just about any prescription if they have the drug on hand. Ours was such unusual medication that we had to go to a doctor's office to get scripts, and the hospital seemed like the easiest way. 3 scripts, $20 each script he wrote.

Old June 18th, 2011, 12:20 PM
40,000+ Club

Ships do not have a large pharmacy onboard. I would check with the cruise line and not count on it.

Old June 18th, 2011, 12:43 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:

Almost certainly no. Particularly when you're talking about a controlled substance. She needs to call her doctor and tell him that she's going on vacation -- they usually can issue a prescription to cover the gap if necessary.

Old June 18th, 2011, 12:54 PM
Cool Cruiser

The answer is no, but if your wife talkes to her doctor explaining the issues, they might write you (a different family member) the script and that way your wife would not be without meds.

Past Cruises:
Adventure of the Seas~April 17, 2011 Southern Caribbean
Navigator of The Seas~February 18, 2012. First Family Cruise

Happy Cruising,
Terra

Old June 18th, 2011, 02:01 PM
Cool Cruiser

I work for a medical assistance company and part of our service is assisting in medication refills. One caveat we pose is that the same drug restrictions do not necessarily exist outside the US. Dosages may differ, despite what the bottle says. It doesn't mean this is always true just something that is possible. Thus we strongly urge members to carry all the meds they will need plus a few extra weeks' worth. I think your best plan of action is to call your pharmacy and insurance company, show them proof of trip documention and request a refill on the 24th. They should know the concerns abroad and hopefully will be able to assist.

Old June 18th, 2011, 02:29 PM
20,000+ Club

I forgot one of my prescriptions, and went to the med center to see if they could get me the prescription. The doctor said if it was a basic med, there was no problem with one of the nurses getting off the ship to fill it for me. But they cannot get any controlled substance meds.

Old June 18th, 2011, 02:39 PM
Cool Cruiser

I take some heavy duty drugs also and our pharmacist will give us a partial order if we need it early and then when we get back she fills the remainder of the prescription.

ask your pharmacy many many people experience this and get what they need.

Old June 18th, 2011, 03:07 PM
Cool Cruiser

Forgot to mention that this is an Alaskan cruise. Therefore, still in the U.S.A. I will give Princess a call. Then maybe pursue the pharmacy/ doctor suggestion.

OR... a potential option is to get it filled at a pharmacy in Juneau or Skagway. We have the script.

Island Princess - 7 night Alaska SB, 25May11 (25th Anniversary) - MISSED BOAT DUE TO AIRPLANE PROBLEMS

Last edited by engrdad; June 18th, 2011 at 03:09 PM.

Old June 18th, 2011, 03:13 PM
Cool Cruiser

I think if she has that many migraines she should consult with another doctor , my husband had alot got a new dr. new meds and now maybe one every 6-8 months. I also dont know what they are giving her but most migrain meds are not controlled substances insurance just wont pay except every 30 days for some expensive meds. If it's Alaska it is still USA so a script will work if they have it in stock.
Mexico 1986,1990,1994, Royal Caribbean Majesty of the Seas Western Caribbean 1998, Tahitian Princess Tahiti 2004, Carnival Elation Mexico 2005, Norwegian Pride of Aloha Hawaii 2006, Crown Princess Southern Caribbean 2007, Norwegian Sun South America around the Horn 2009, Golden Princess Alaska 2011,Norwegian Sky Bahamas 2012, Emerald Princess Baltic 2013, Norwegian Dawn Western Caribbean 2014

Old June 18th, 2011, 03:38 PM
20,000+ Club

check with your insurance carrier. they can permit an early refill. Also most pharmacists can give you a few extra pills to carry you over but if its a class III drug will be reluctant to do so. Do you use a major chain or a local pharmacist? If its class III fed rules limit supplies as well. In most cases your doctor can write a 90 supply and you can get it filled by mail order from your insurance carrier.
they do have basic drugs on board for an emergency. Which they can use if necessary. They may or may not consider this an emergency.

Last edited by smeyer418; June 18th, 2011 at 03:40 PM.

Old June 18th, 2011, 05:30 PM
5,000+ Club

i would keep trying with the DR and EXPLAIN the circumstances!!!!

LIFE IS NOT MEASURED BY THE BREATHS WE TAKE~~BUT BY THE MOMENTS THAT TAKE OUR BREATH AWAY

NCL STAR~(MR)_12-05/2-07/12-08/2-11
NCL STAR~(PC)_12-09
NCL JEWEL~(W.Carib)_1-10)
NCL SUN~(E/W.Carib)_12-10*/12-11*
NCL SPIRIT~(CN/NE)_ 9/08
RCL LegendoftheSeas-(HI)_11/04
CCL Victory-(W.Carib)_ 1/04
X Mercury-(AK)_7/02
USNS BARRETT-(Guam, HI, CA)_7/64

Old June 18th, 2011, 05:43 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Forgot to mention that this is an Alaskan cruise. Therefore, still in the U.S.A. I will give Princess a call. Then maybe pursue the pharmacy/ doctor suggestion.

OR... a potential option is to get it filled at a pharmacy in Juneau or Skagway. We have the script.
Won't work. You MUST have a script written by a doctor in Alaska to get it filled in Alaska. Working in this field, I have never known any doctor that's going to write a script for an out-of-state patient for this type of medication.

I question such frequent use of pain meds for migraines. Don't know your wife's history, but she might benefit from a consult with a neurologist. There are some very good migraine meds.

Old June 18th, 2011, 05:46 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by emtb12 View Post
The answer is no, but if your wife talkes to her doctor explaining the issues, they might write you (a different family member) the script and that way your wife would not be without meds.
No way this will ever happen with a controlled substance! The doctor could lose their license.

Old June 18th, 2011, 06:03 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6rugrats View Post
Won't work. You MUST have a script written by a doctor in Alaska to get it filled in Alaska. Working in this field, I have never known any doctor that's going to write a script for an out-of-state patient for this type of medication.

I question such frequent use of pain meds for migraines. Don't know your wife's history, but she might benefit from a consult with a neurologist. There are some very good migraine meds.

Listen folks, I am not looking for any medical advice. You don't know our situation and have no basis to question anything. However, since several are interested.... We have seen a neurologist for over 10 years. Saw several other neurologist before this. Tried all the regular meds (all the variations of the triptans, propranolol, inderal, depakote, verapomil, effexor, etc, etc, etc). Now we are waiting on new discoveries (try them as soon as they get FDA approval) and in the mean time are treating with pain meds.

Also, our doctor is in a southern state and we are living temporarily in MI. There has been no problem with our doctor writing scripts and filling them in MI. It depends on the states and their laws (each is different).

OK, will calm down now. Everybody has their cross to bare. I just don't have a lot of patience when people come across as judgemental. Every body has their own story and unless you know it completely, we need to worry about the logs in our own eyes.

Last edited by engrdad; June 18th, 2011 at 06:05 PM.

Old June 18th, 2011, 06:36 PM
10,000+ Club

Do you fill your prescriptions at a chain pharmacy? CVE, Walgreen...WalMart? I know there is a shuttle to Walmart in Juneau. EM
Queen Elizabeth 15 May 2013 4 nights Inside
Celebrity Infinity 16 April 2013 B2B San Diego to Harwich 27 nights OV/Concierge
Nieuw Amsterdam Mediterranean 4/30 - 5/24/2012 24 nights Inside
Millennium B2B2B 2/6-20/2012 Caribbean 14 nights Concierge/Inside/Inside
Caribbean Princess 10/29/2011 Caribbean Islander NY to FLL 10 nights Mini-suite
Celebrity Solstice 5/1/2011 FLL to Barcelona 13 nights Concierge
Carnival Fascination 2/28/11 Bahamas 5 nights OV
Queen Mary 2 12/8/2010 Caribbean Delights 11 nights Balcony
Celebrity Summit 10/24/10 B2B NY to San Juan 13 nights OV/Balcony
Emerald Princess 8/29/10 Western Caribbean 7 nights Inside
Diamond Princess 5/29/10 B2B Alaska Inside
Westerdam 2/7/10 Eastern & Southern Caribbean 14 nights Inside
Carnival Dream 10/27/09 Transatlantic 16 nights Cove balcony
Carnival Sensation 6/18/09 Bahamas 3 nights inside
Carnival Splendor 5/17/09 B2B Mexi-not to Canada 14 nights 4J inside
Oosterdam 2/28/09 San Diego to Rome 32 nights OV
Carnival Fascination 12/13/08 Bahamas 5 nights Inside
Queen Elizabeth 2 7/31/08 Lands of Fire and Ice 12 nights OV
Celebration 3/27/08 Bahamas 4 nights Porthole
Celebration 1/26/08 Bahamas 5 nights Inside
Norwegian Spirit 10/20/07 CTN 1 night Inside
Elation 4/23/07 B2B Bahamas 10 nights Inside
Zenith 8/2006 Bermuda 7 nights OV
Calypso 7/2005 Greek Isles 4 nights Inside
Star Princess Inaugural 2/2002 Pacific Rim Singapore to LA 26 nights Balcony
Millennium 8/2000 Baltic 14 nights Balcony
Fantasy 6/1999 Bahamas 4 nights Porthole
Royal Princess 1/1999 Buenos Aires to Manaus 14 nights OV
Home Lines Oceanic x 2 1973 NYC to Nassau 7 nights
Homes Lines Homeric x2 Eastern Caribbean 1972 10 nights

Old June 18th, 2011, 07:12 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Taking a vacation is a special circumstance. If your wife is a regular on this medication, there should be no issue getting the refill a few days early if you are going on vacation.

Old June 18th, 2011, 07:26 PM
50,000+ Club

Quote:

My wife also gets migraines from time to time and take a special prescription as well. While the ships carry some medications I am sure the one she takes would not be available on the ship.

I would contact your doctors office to see if the can prescribe something else for your wife.

Keith

Last edited by Keith1010; June 18th, 2011 at 07:26 PM.