Navigator Review June 8, 2011

zqvol

Many thanks for your excellent, extensive review and photos.

FWIW, our one experience on Navigator was last year FLL to Bermuda, and we experienced none of the service issues that you describe. We will be on the Mariner in two weeks time, and it will be interesting to see if your Alaska experience is indicative of a company-wide trend, or specific to the current management and crew on Navigator.

zqvol..

I absolutely admire your writing and composition detailing your experience with Regent....I could never compose in this manner...

I too, have been to Alaska on Regent and if I reviewed it, it would sound as if we were reporting from different planets..

If I experienced as many irritants as you, my life on or off a ship would be sad.

No matter what your likes or dislikes might be, life is full of irritants and I suppose we each look at them in a different light.

I have been on many, many cruise lines all over the world and if I found as many things to bother me as you, I don't think I would have ever sailed again on any ship with any label or at any price.

I'm confused by Travel Cat2's link. That is not Zqvol's review. Click here for his review.

I haven't even read Zqvol's review yet, but this is his thread and review, not someone who goes by bajadenny, although their review might be interesting.

I'm totally confused. The review I read was completely positive with no issues whatsoever (this was the link provided by TC and authored by bajadenny). Other readers talked about service issues. Are there more reviews posted? If so where is the one by ZQ?

I'm totally confused. The review I read was completely positive with no issues whatsoever (this was the link provided by TC and authored by bajadenny). Other readers talked about service issues. Are there more reviews posted? If so where is the one by ZQ?

Try this....

http://www.pvavalides.com/cruises/regent_611/regent_alaska_index.html

Thanks for posting that link. I was apparently lost in the CC reviews and posted the wrong one (on the bright side, it was a nice review). Sorry:o

I cannot really disagree with most things posted by Zqvol. There isn't enough seating in either Prime 7 or La Veranda. The set-up was so much better when it was one restaurant and a section was used in the evening for dinner. I can make a few suggestions for people who will be on the Alaska cruise this summer based on our experiences.

Unfortunately, service can vary. While some posters have disagreed with me rather strongly, we get the best service when we sit in the same section of Compass Rose every night. It also helps to either get there at 6:30 p.m. or wait until 8:00 pm. Once people are seated by the windows, there will be there for at least 1 1/2 hours. There are a group of servers in each area with various responsibilities with one head waiter. By sitting in the head waiters area, they get to know you and your preferences. We have established wonderful relationships with our servers in Compass Rose.

There are times that Compass Rose can become overwhelmed. After the Captain's Reception, Captain's Farewell and Seven Seas Society cocktail party, 200 people (or more) ascend into Compass Rose. This would be difficult to handle anywhere. I understand that Regent assigns more servers in CR on those evenings.... . but, more servers doesn't always fix the problem. Unless Regent went to set seating (:eek: what an awful thought), there will be times when service is slower. Again, try to arrange your timing around these events when you can.

I had to laugh about it being difficult to sleep because it's light in Alaska until quite late. Fortunately Regent's drapery keeps the light out. We find ourselves so tired after a day of excursions that we could sleep with the lights on.

Although I have spoken out against "included excursions", the excursions in Alaska are excellent. I wonder what the three ladies were thinking when they signed up for a rafting excursion. . . . maybe they thought it was formal:confused:

It is too bad that the Navigator doesn't have more open public spaces. It seems that Radisson put too many suites in for the size of the ship (The Silver Whisper is larger and holds only 383 passengers). IMO, the Navigator should hold no more than 350-375 passengers. The Alaska itineraries are usually quite full so I don't think they will be removing suites for extra space.

I love the way Zqvol's review was done. The photographs were wonderful.

Okay, now I've got the right one. My god, it's going to take me a while to wade through this. Makes me want to try SeaDream, I guess. :o (But looking briefly at a couple of voyages on their website, the prices took my breath away. Plus they don't cruise Alaska.)

I must say, I have *never* *never* been upsold on wine once on a Regent ship.

Thank you for the comments.

Let me say, in case it is not clear, my issues were as much with failing to meet expectations as anything else. My factual observations are to point out why my expectations were not met.

As most of you realize FT and I cruise SD and I cruise the mass market lines too. My expectations when I am Carnival or NCL are vastly different than when I am on SD. I expected closer to SD than to the mass market lines, instead a got something closer to half between the two experiences, which is what led to the disappointments.

Okay, now I've got the right one. My god, it's going to take me a while to wade through this. Makes me want to try SeaDream, I guess. :o (But looking briefly at a couple of voyages on their website, the prices took my breath away. Plus they don't cruise Alaska.)

Nor have I....In fact, as I mentioned in another post, the head Sommelier has on occasion moved some premium wines to the complimentary list when my favorites had run out.

Before the all-inclusive, because I am a wine nut, I used to bring my own wines aboard (something I insist on or I won't sail on any ship unless I can do so.)...

This was a genuine review with nice photos. One question- what does FT refers to? Thanks for taking the time to share your experience.

FT is short for Frequent Traveler who also posts on the boards and who will be adding the final installment to the live thread that she started before we began our journey.

As I have said on these boards previously, "expectations" do play into the Regent experience. I have heard wonderful things about SD. With such a small number of passengers, one would assume that the personalized service would be tops. We have considered sailing on SD but feel the ship is a bit too small, the cabin is way too small and there are no balconies.

IMO, anyone who has sailed on a small to medium luxury cruise ship in the past will probably judge Regent harsher than people who have not as yet had the luxury experience. Is Regent "true" luxury? Well, we have only sailed Regent and Silversea. . .. the service has been incredible. . . . love the suites. . . the food is subjective. We are happy with both cruise lines. .. . nothing is perfect but they come close:)

I have yet to read the review (company is here and I'm checking for important work messages). This thread has given me such a chuckle that I've had to come "clean" with our visitors as they heard me laughing. I love that posters were responding to reading different reviews.:D

I have yet to read the review (company is here and I'm checking for important work messages). This thread has given me such a chuckle that I've had to come "clean" with our visitors as they heard me laughing. I love that posters were responding to reading different reviews.:D

I agree -- it was definitely funny;)

Nor have I in over 75 days with regent. Wendy, maybe you and I just don't look rich enough.

Nor have I in over 75 days with regent. Wendy, maybe you and I just don't look rich enough.

I am still traveling and won't be home until Sunday but we got two weeks in the Med on SD for only 30 percent more than one week on Regent in Alaska (we did our own airfare on both) so that is part of my value evaluation.

FT

I am still traveling and won't be home until Sunday but we got two weeks in the Med on SD for only 30 percent more than one week on Regent in Alaska (we did our own airfare on both) so that is part of my value evaluation.

FT

HAHA, I was referring to the being upsold on wines.

Originally posted by zqvol, "Let me say, in case it is not clear, my issues were as much with failing to meet expectations as anything else. My factual observations are to point out why my expectations were not met."

I believe that some of the issues you had with expectations not being met will continue for other people who have paid the additional cost of being in a Penthouse Suite on the Navigator for an Alaskan sailing. As the size of the suite is not different, the additional cost is for the butler. It is absolutely impossible for the butler to fulfill the role outlined in the brochures for the number of suites he is handling. For example, if the butler has ten suites, that could mean unpacking and packing for possibly all of the suites. On top of that, he is going to ensure the bar is stocked correctly, ice is delivered upon request, shore excursion issues are handled, spa appointments are made, extra dining in specialty restaurants are requested, provide room service, etc. On some sailings these "duties" might not be an issue as not everyone will want everything on the list but, if even half of the suites expect unpacking and packing, the unavoidable delays in the butler completing the task is not likely to create a good impression. The marketing in this regard could be what stops people from booking another cruise on Regent.

The service issues should not happen but I have experienced most of them at different times on various sailings. Hopefully, Regent has read your comment cards as well as this thread and will try and correct the issues.

It sounds like SeaDream is a better fit for what you are looking for in a cruise. Isn't it great that we can have the choice?

Thanks so much for taking the time to complete such an extensive review.

I, too, have read the Regent brochures and would expect more than what ZQVOL reports. I have seen this in the past years over at Cunard. The brochures vastly "oversell" the actual service on board. This will inevitably lead to disenchanted passengers who thought they were paying for top of the line service. Top of the line service is nearly extinct in this world.:eek:

Archived