Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Ports of Call > Bermuda

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old July 8th, 2011, 10:14 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Dockyard Sea Glass Beach - the easy way!

Hi All,
Following the unbelievably huge success of my original post about the Dockyard Walking Adventure with Sea Glass, but spotting that most people ONLY want to go to the beach, here's an updated post with better pics and a traffic-free route.
This will take about twenty to twenty five minutes to walk.

As you leave the Dockyard, turn left onto Freeport Drive and look at the ship insignias painted on the walls, dating from when the Dockyard was a Navy base.
When you cross the bridge at the exit from the Dockyard area, take the right hand road - Cochrane Road.
Continue down this road. Eventually it turns sharp left and meets back up with the main road, but just before it does, there is a stand of trees with big roots. Take the little road to the right here.
Just a little way along this road is a area of grass on the right with a shelter, table and bench.
The steps down to the beach are here. There are about twenty steps.
Here's the route in pictures...

Happy Sea Glass hunting!
32N64W

Ad Sponsored By
Old July 8th, 2011, 10:31 AM
5,000+ Club

OMG! If they can't find it now, the must be visually impaired. Great work!!!

(Could you possibly go there and collect some and leave a little pile so they won't have to bend over to find it???)
Queen of Bermuda circa 1963 * Carnival Festivale 1995 * AMSTERDAM Alaska 7/02 * Sovereign of the Seas Bahamas 1/05 * WESTERDAM Baltic 9/05 * NOORDAM West Mediterranean 6/06 * VEENDAM West Caribbean 12/06 * Sovereign of the Seas Bahamas 4/07 * STATENDAM Alaska Cruise-Tour 9/07 * ZUIDERDAM Eastern Caribbean 12/07 * AMSTERDAM Panama Canal transit 4/08 * EURODAM Bahamas 10/08 * NOORDAM Southern Caribbean 12/08 * NOORDAM Southern Caribbean 12/09 * NIEUW AMSTERDAM Eastern Mediterranean 9/10 * RYNDAM Western Caribbean 12/10 * VEENDAM Bermuda 10/11 * MAASDAM Southern Caribbean 3/12 * PRINSENDAM TransAtlantic 5/13 * Disney Dream Bahamas 11/13

Old July 8th, 2011, 10:39 AM
5,000+ Club

Thumbs up

Recommend that this be made a sticky.

SBtS

Old July 8th, 2011, 10:56 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailBadtheSinner View Post
Recommend that this be made a sticky.

SBtS
I agree!! But wait....if too many people find out about this place....

I was also wondering why there is so much at this one particular spot, though I assume it has something to do with the currents and tides. But where does this massive amount of glass come from and how long has it been tumbling around in the ocean?

Old July 8th, 2011, 11:38 AM
Cool Cruiser

Hi Cat,
Actually, I can do you one better!
I was passing through the Dockyard Arts and Crafts exhibit/sales room next to Frog and Onion (okay, yeah, I was going for a pint...) at the weekend, and some local artist has made kind of paintings from seaglass. Don't know what you call that sort of thing, but it would certainly save you a walk!

@kubauc - I have absolutely no idea why there is so much - and there must be well over a ton in weight there. And as someone pointed out on the original thread - if you dig into the sand, there's even more! It's a mystery!

Have Fun!

Old July 8th, 2011, 12:01 PM
Cool Cruiser

Wow, thanks for the awesomely detailed post! Looks like an easy way to get to Sea Glass beach...can't wait to try it!

P.S. thanks also for your post about Cup Match on another thread!

Old July 8th, 2011, 12:03 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by catl331 View Post
OMG! If they can't find it now, the must be visually impaired. Great work!!!

(Could you possibly go there and collect some and leave a little pile so they won't have to bend over to find it???)

Good one, Catl331!!!

Thanks SO much for these directions, 32n64w! Now we MUST MUST MUST get back to Bermuda SOON SOON SOON!!

Old July 8th, 2011, 12:25 PM
Cool Cruiser

If you were on a moped would you take the same route?

Old July 8th, 2011, 12:45 PM
Cool Cruiser

Hi Karma,
Actually, I'm not sure - the turn onto Cochrane Road from the bridge has "no entry" painted on the road, but the actual "no Entry" signs have recently been covered over. There is so little traffic on this road it probably doesn't matter (and visitors on mopeds can get away with anything).
But if you look at the map, you can go out on the main road (Cockburn Road), then turn right into Cochrane Road where they meet (that tiny bit of road directly under the "h" in "Sea Glass Beach", then immediately left onto the road behind the houses (where the trees with big roots are), and you're back on track.
Clear? Maybe?
Have Fun!

Last edited by 32N64W; July 8th, 2011 at 12:52 PM.

Old July 8th, 2011, 12:50 PM
Cool Cruiser

Appreciate the info/pics as well as the artist details!!!

Old July 8th, 2011, 01:45 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Actually, I'm not sure - the turn onto Cochrane Road from the bridge has "no entry" painted on the road, but the actual "no Entry" signs have recently been covered over. There is so little traffic on this road it probably doesn't matter (and visitors on mopeds can get away with anything).
But if you look at the map, you can go out on the main road (Cockburn Road), then turn right into Cochrane Road where they meet (that tiny bit of road directly under the "h" in "Sea Glass Beach", then immediately left onto the road behind the houses (where the trees with big roots are), and you're back on track.
Thanks 32N64W. I'm not use to this end of the island. I use to spend a lot of time down in St George's when I was younger.

Old July 8th, 2011, 02:36 PM
Cool Cruiser

Hi All,
Here is a Google Earth (bless them) overhead showing the area...

Have fun!

Old July 8th, 2011, 03:15 PM
Cool Cruiser

"Trees with big roots" ... I love it!

Old July 8th, 2011, 04:06 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingingMom1 View Post
"Trees with big roots" ... I love it!
Me too......and I thought only woman gave directions using this type of reference or landmark.

Old July 8th, 2011, 04:21 PM
Cool Cruiser

Hi Singing & IHeart,
Normally I give directions using bars and pubs as landmarks, but there aren't any, otherwise I would. So "trees with big roots" it is!
Have Fun!

Old July 8th, 2011, 07:25 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartbda View Post
Me too......and I thought only woman gave directions using this type of reference or landmark.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 32N64W View Post
Hi Singing & IHeart,
Normally I give directions using bars and pubs as landmarks, but there aren't any, otherwise I would. So "trees with big roots" it is!
Have Fun!

It slays me! I just love it! And, by the way, it is EXACTLY how I give directions...

Old July 8th, 2011, 07:42 PM
5,000+ Club

After leaving Kauai and looking for sea glass and other objects, I found out there there was a sea glass beach on the southern shore. there used to be a local dump in the 50's near there and the glass keeps breaking up and coming to this area due to currents. I don't know why there is one in Bermuda but....
Queen of Bermuda circa 1963 * Carnival Festivale 1995 * AMSTERDAM Alaska 7/02 * Sovereign of the Seas Bahamas 1/05 * WESTERDAM Baltic 9/05 * NOORDAM West Mediterranean 6/06 * VEENDAM West Caribbean 12/06 * Sovereign of the Seas Bahamas 4/07 * STATENDAM Alaska Cruise-Tour 9/07 * ZUIDERDAM Eastern Caribbean 12/07 * AMSTERDAM Panama Canal transit 4/08 * EURODAM Bahamas 10/08 * NOORDAM Southern Caribbean 12/08 * NOORDAM Southern Caribbean 12/09 * NIEUW AMSTERDAM Eastern Mediterranean 9/10 * RYNDAM Western Caribbean 12/10 * VEENDAM Bermuda 10/11 * MAASDAM Southern Caribbean 3/12 * PRINSENDAM TransAtlantic 5/13 * Disney Dream Bahamas 11/13

Old July 8th, 2011, 08:31 PM
Cool Cruiser

My mother lived in that area when she was a child and said there was an unofficial neighbourhood dump near Sea Glass Beach back then. The former Sally Port Dump, which was located just up the road a ways, was where a LOT of people used to dump their garbage so I imagine a fair bit came from there as well. Sally Port was in operation until the early 80's.

Old July 9th, 2011, 07:09 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Thank you, 32N64W

Thank you for these wonderful directions and for your help elsewhere here on Cruise Critic! We are returning to Bermuda on 7/20 on X's Summit- our DD will be married by the Captain the day before. We have visited Bermuda many times- either cruising or staying for a week, and every time we are impressed by how the locals view tourists- with smiles, open arms, and good natured sighs at our many quirks (and driving errors). So many tourist areas have lost this attitude- they love our money but would prefer that we just send our wallets and leave ourselves somewhere else.

We have a group of 33 onboard for the wedding; many have never cruised and several have never left the USA. I know they will be thrilled with Bermuda's beauty, and the beautiful welcome they receive from everyone they meet.

Again- thanks for your help!

Old July 10th, 2011, 04:52 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Very littered

We walked from Dockyard to Seaglass Beach on Monday. There is no sign (I think it was knocked to the ground) where you turn off the road to walk down into the woods. Also, as you walk through the woods to the beach, be prepared that it is sadly littered with lots of garbage, broken-down scooters, old motors, etc. There was so much garbage that I really thought we were on the wrong path.

Once we got to the beach, I couldn't believe how much glass there was. I can't stress how plentiful it is. It's like there's more glass than sand. I'll try to post a couple pictures later.

We were the only two people there (except for a local man working off to the side on his small boat). We waded around and filled up a couple Ziploc bags and my boyfriend had a quick swim.

It was a great private place to visit.

RCCL Sun Viking - Alaskan Inside Passage - July 1991

RCCL Voyager of the Seas - E. Caribbean - Dec. 2005 Read my review at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=269890

RCCL Voyager of the Seas - W. Caribbean - Dec. 2006 Read my review at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=8644814

RCCL Enchantment of the Seas - W. Caribbean - April 2008 Read my review at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=760284

RCCL Explorer of the Seas - Canada/NE - July 2008 Read my review at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=809854

RCCL Serenade of the Seas - Alaska Sawyer Glacier - July 2009

RCCL Explorer of the Seas - Bermuda - July 2011 Read my review at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1443262

RCCL Majesty of the Seas - Bahamas - February 2013 Read my review at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1789216

RCCL Grandeur of the Seas - Bahamas - July 2013 Read my review at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=39333225#post39333225