Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "P - Z" > Royal Caribbean International

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Royal Caribbean International
NEW! Find Your ROYAL CARIBBEAN Roll Call

Old March 2nd, 2005, 07:03 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Wedding Cruises, Does the "Guest" really PAY???

My cousin is getting married aboard the Enchantment of the Seas. How wonderfull and romantic. I am really happy for her, I am glad she found someone.

Besides that point.

We just got some information regarding the rates and I checked those rates against RCI's Website and saw that we are paying about $30 more per birth. I don't understand. I thought she would be getting a group rate, which should be cheaper right???

Am I paying for their wedding? Am I paying for their cruise? Does a wedding group mirror a group rate, meaning, for every so many cabins paid, the group leader gets a free birth???

Can I book the criuse myself and attend the wedding??? Or will I not be able to board the ship early enough.

Don't get me wrong, I am really happy for her, I just think that if I pay to attend her wedding (which is my choice to, and I want to because hello.. it's a cruise) Shoud I have to pay for her cruise too.

And P.S. Do you give the newlyweds a gift??

Thanks for the input

October 2003 - Voyager of the Seas
January 2006 - Enchantment of the Seas

Old March 2nd, 2005, 07:24 PM
Cool Cruiser

I'll give your thread some attention. (although that statement won't make sense to anyone in a few minutes).

I don't know this for fact, but I remember reading somewhere that group cruise rates does not mean cheaper fare. It seems like the article did state that you could actually end up spending more but I can't remember why. It wouldn't surprise me that if enough cabins are booked at the group rate, they will get their cruise paid for.

If it were me, I would book my cruise individually. I would also bring a gift. I'm attending a wedding in Nags Head and for 3 nights I am spending pretty much what I did for my 7 night cruise on the Mariner (and I have a balcony!). I'm really having a tough time swallowing that. At least you are getting a cruise!!

Old March 2nd, 2005, 07:28 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Default I'll respond also

Although,I still think it would be more fun to hijack the other

Well.I am glad to know your not getting married.Again.I don't know if we could handle that

Maybe,the group gets special priveldges..(like boarding first) some little gift or snack (could spell h'orderve) or access to special private areas and thats what thats far..

Cruising...Its like spelling RADAR backwards..They get you coming and going.

WAITING FOR MAGIC ON THE MAGIC!

Old March 2nd, 2005, 07:30 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Oh,and yeah...Ya gotta give them a gift.

I am thinking a really nice Photo Album..or hey..you could scrapbook one for em

Or his and hers RCI boxers! Or some of those quality loving cups..

WAITING FOR MAGIC ON THE MAGIC!

Old March 2nd, 2005, 07:38 PM
Cool Cruiser

I know that we do get a "cocktail luncheon" and transportation from a specific hotel (hotel $$$ isn't included in the rate)

The wedding will be from anywhere from 12-2... not nailed down yet. So I guess we do get special boarding privledges.

Ad Sponsored By
Old March 2nd, 2005, 08:09 PM
Cool Cruiser

You may also want to check out the CruiseCritic "wedding" boards - lots of previous/soon-to-be brides sharing info from various cruiselines.

For our cruise wedding: guests could book through whoever they wanted. We married at a port of call and the cruiseline took really good care of us even though we didn't book the wedding through them (NCL). Our group rate ended up getting "beat" by lower prices that came out after we all booked especially after final payment - so sometimes that can happen. Group rates don't matter what the occassion is for - usually the 16th full passenger marks one free berth. Since some of our guests booked through other TAs at last minute (non group rates), we didn't get that free berth, but we had planned to use the "freebie" to lower everyone else's cruise price should we have achieved that. Hubby and I paid for our own cruise, wedding, reception, etc. since we both have jobs and family/guests paid for their own cruise. (Just our personal experience - I realize some do it differently)
11/12 - Disney Western Caribbean,
09/11 - Disney Westbound TransAtlantic, 03/09 - Celebrity Southern Caribbean
03/06 - Celebrity Infinity Eastern Caribbean , 06/05 - NCL Sun Alaska
11/04 - HAL ms Zuiderdam Eastern Caribbean , 11/03 - HAL ms Maasdam Western Caribbean
03/2003 S/S Norway E. Caribbean Wedding Cruise ~ Married on the beach on St John, USVI!
12/01 - Celebrity Galaxy Southern Caribbean , 12/00 - NCL Sky Western Caribbean

Old March 2nd, 2005, 08:32 PM
Cool Cruiser

Mandy,
Thanks. I am thinking about booking apart from the group. I am just worried that I won't get on the ship in time to see the wedding. Also, will they let me in the "chapel" area if I am not in the grouping. I don't know if they'd be checking or even if they'd even have a way to check.

Old March 2nd, 2005, 08:44 PM

OK miss cheap gish, yeah - ya go to da wedding ya gotta bring a gift! Them's the rules ....

Old March 2nd, 2005, 08:50 PM
Cool Cruiser

Dude... I'm paying over $500 for a 4 dayer just to get on the ship to SEE the darned thing.. Really a gift too!?!?

Old March 2nd, 2005, 08:54 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsjanko
Dude... I'm paying over $500 for a 4 dayer just to get on the ship to SEE the darned thing.. Really a gift too!?!?
Perhaps a nice card with some drink or photo coupons to use on the cruise might be a useful gift

Old March 2nd, 2005, 08:57 PM
Cool Cruiser

shoot they should be buying me drinks...

LOL

Colette,

Thank you that is a nice idea. Or Seapass credit.

Old March 2nd, 2005, 08:59 PM

You know I was just giving you a hard time. . Seriously though, while I would think someone coming on a cruise with me to celebrate my wedding was enough, I think in an "Ask Abby" kind of world a gift would still be appropriate. Perhaps not quite as expensive a gift as you might otherwise get. But a token gift at the very least. Colette had a couple of good ideas.

Old March 2nd, 2005, 09:04 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsjanko
shoot they should be buying me drinks...

LOL

Colette,

Thank you that is a nice idea. Or Seapass credit.
Shipboard credit is a great idea too.
I cannot help but think Dear Abby would tell you to get something small for the couple. Try not to think of spending $500 on your cruise fare as a present for them.....that is really a gift for YOURSELF Have fun!

Old March 2nd, 2005, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colette5479
Shipboard credit is a great idea too.
I cannot help but think Dear Abby would tell you to get something small for the couple. Try not to think of spending $500 on your cruise fare as a present for them.....that is really a gift for YOURSELF Have fun!
I think you have the wrong idea here, Colette. Gish hates cruising. This will be 4 days of utter misery for her. It is only her kind heart and giving spirit that is forcing her to go on this cruise. I know she is just dreading spending the next year worrying about having to take this cruise..... You tell them gish.....

Old March 2nd, 2005, 09:18 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellow
I think you have the wrong idea here, Colette. Gish hates cruising. This will be 4 days of utter misery for her. It is only her kind heart and giving spirit that is forcing her to go on this cruise. I know she is just dreading spending the next year worrying about having to take this cruise..... You tell them gish.....
Wow...I guess I missed that! If I hated cruising, I would tell the happy couple I would just watch the wedding video when they returned

Old March 2nd, 2005, 09:28 PM
Cool Cruiser

Mellow,

I'm not a completely miserable person. I'll TRY and have a good time. Now you be nice. Let people hate me for themselves. Not for what you tell them...

Gish (if your a friend)

Old March 2nd, 2005, 09:31 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

We were on the Radiance last year and there was a wedding party. They boarded way befrore everyone else and I beleive that not every in the wedding party was actually going on the cruise. So maybe it is possible for Mrsjanko to go and board just long enough for the ceremony and then get off the ship before it sails. Have you looked into that Mrsjanko? If not possible then please try to enjoy your 4 days.

Annieeee

Old March 2nd, 2005, 09:33 PM

I've just missed you so much these past months. So I wanted you to feel special now that you are back! (Insert angel wings emoticon... now where is that darn emoticon, I know I just had it here somewhere....)

Old March 2nd, 2005, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annieeee
We were on the Radiance last year and there was a wedding party. They boarded way befrore everyone else and I beleive that not every in the wedding party was actually going on the cruise. So maybe it is possible for Mrsjanko to go and board just long enough for the ceremony and then get off the ship before it sails. Have you looked into that Mrsjanko? If not possible then please try to enjoy your 4 days.

Annieeee
I am really sorry folks. Mrs. J really does love to cruise. I was just giving her a hard time because I like her so much - you know how hard it is to find good friends.

Old March 2nd, 2005, 09:39 PM
Cool Cruiser

Look at that, not back for a day and I have a rep. Thanks Mellow LOL. Thats alright. I like my rep

I am going to be one mean ole lady when I grow up.

Gish