Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "P - Z" > Princess Cruises

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Princess Cruises
Read thousands of Princess Cruise Reviews from real cruisers and compare the best Princess Cruise Deals

NEW! Find Your PRINCESS Roll Call

Old July 14th, 2011, 09:51 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Electrical outlets on ships

Are electrical outlets on the Emerald compatible with North American or European plugs/voltage?

Ad Sponsored By
Old July 14th, 2011, 09:57 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

110 Volt AC, American type of wall socket. The shaver socket in the bathroom can accomodate both 110 V AC and European (2 prong) 208 V AC, but is not rated for high power such as one would need for a hair dryer.

Old July 15th, 2011, 09:44 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default plugs

The only plus are beside the desk in non=suite rooms. Take a power stripif you have more than two items to plug in and re-charge!

8/2014 Caribbean Princess--Eastern Caribbean Getaway
1/2014 Ruby Princess--Eastern Caribbean Getaway
8/2013 Caribbean Princess--British Isles
8/2012 Ocean Princess--Norwegian Fjords Interlude
1/2012 Ruby Princess--Eastern Caribbean
5/2011 Ruby Princess--Grand Med
8/2010 Island Princess--Alaska, Voyage of the Glaciers
8/2009 Crown Princess--British Isles
8/2008 Crown Princess--Baltic with Oslo
8/2007 Emerald Princess--Grand Med
7/2005 Golden Princess--British Isles
8/2002 Dawn Princess--Alaska, Voyage of the Glaciers

Old July 15th, 2011, 10:49 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

There is a "hidden" european style plug in the Emerald cabins. It is behind the beds and you lose one of the bedside lights if you choose to use the plug. My DH uses a cpap which is dual voltage and we were pleased to find this as it made using the machine very easy since he could plug it in right beside the bed. All we had to do was use the plug adaptor. We did replug the light before we left the cabin. The beds are a little difficult to pull away from the wall.

Old July 15th, 2011, 11:01 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posaune View Post
The only plus are beside the desk in non=suite rooms. Take a power stripif you have more than two items to plug in and re-charge!
There is another plug behind the TV.

Old July 15th, 2011, 02:28 PM
30,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakery View Post
Are electrical outlets on the Emerald compatible with North American or European plugs/voltage?
Outlet in the cabin above the desk:

Outlet in the bathroom:

Outlet behind TV:

Boston. Strong.

* Me ziplining across Victoria Falls: https://plus.google.com/photos/10147...83463276981969
* Safari photos: https://picasaweb.google.com/1014740...eat=directlink

Upcoming:
Royal Princess -- Copenhagen > NY 9/10/14
Crown Princess -- 10/18/14 BVE
Grand Princess -- LA > HI > LA 2/17/15
OAT African Safari -- 10/5/15
Pacific Princess 50th Anniversary cruise -- 12/3/15

Old July 15th, 2011, 04:00 PM
Cool Cruiser

The socket under the bed is 2-pin German standard 220V. If your device is "smart" (look for voltage rating on the label... if it says something like 120-240V 50/60 Hz.) you're OK

All you'll need is an adapter. Look at http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...+usa+to+europe

This outlet is great for a CPAP - no need for an extension cord. I crawled under the bed the first day, unplugged the lamp, and plugged in the CPAP. Stowed the CPAP on the nightstand shelf during the day. Reversed it the last day. The steward let it completely alone.

For leg 1, please join our Roll Call by clicking here

For leg 2, please join our Roll Call by clicking here

For leg 1, please join our Roll Call by clicking here

Leg 2 Roll Call not yet available

-----------------------------------------------

NCL Eastern Caribbean 2/82
RCCL Bermuda 6/85
Delta Queen Cincinnati - Nashville 7/90

--------- with DW ----------------

P and O Oceana North Sea 10/2004
Carnival Legend New England/Canada 10/05
RCL Splendour Eastern Med 10/06
RCL Navigator Eastern Med 10/08
Coral Princess Panama Canal 12/09

Crown Princess Canada/NE 9/10 Click for Roll Call
Crown Princess Westbound TA 8/11
Click for Roll Call
Ruby Princess Eastbound TA 4/12Cancelled due to MAJOR heart attack (since recovered)
Mano Cruise Royal Iris Greek Islands 7/12
Crown Princess Spitzberen/North Cape 613 Click for Roll Call

Old July 15th, 2011, 04:14 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posaune View Post
In addition to the outlet on dressing table, there's also one behind the TV - at least in the outside cabins. never looked there when in an inside cabin.
Royal Princess, Eastbound Northern Transatlantic, April 2014; Ruby Princess, Caribbean Getaway, Jan. 2014; Ruby Princess, Western Caribbean Getaway, Dec. 2013; Ruby Princess, Greek Isles, Oct. 2013; Crown Princess, Westbound Mediterranean Transatlantic, Dec. 2012; Crown Princess, Eastbound Mediterranean Transatlantic, April 2012; Grand Princess, Southern Caribbean, Dec. 2011; Ruby Princess, Westbound Mediterranean Transatlantic, October 2010; Golden Princess, Hawaii, March 2009; Coral Princess, Alaska, May 2008; Norwegian Sun, Exotic Western Caribbean, Dec. 2007; Celebrity Infinity, Trans Panama Canal, Nov. 2006; (big gap while raising teenagers- kids all out of house by Aug 2006; can you tell?); Ocean Princess, Caribbean, Dec. 2000; Grand Princess, Eastern Caribbean, Dec. 2000; Carnival Ecstasy, Western Caribbean, Nov. 1997; NCL SS Norway, Eastern Caribbean, Dec. 1995; NCL Seaward, Western Caribbean, Nov. 1992; Carnival Fantasy, Bahamas, Oct. 1990

Old July 16th, 2011, 12:26 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyTheK View Post
The socket under the bed is 2-pin German standard 220V. If your device is "smart" (look for voltage rating on the label... if it says something like 120-240V 50/60 Hz.) you're OK

All you'll need is an adapter. Look at http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...+usa+to+europe

This outlet is great for a CPAP - no need for an extension cord. I crawled under the bed the first day, unplugged the lamp, and plugged in the CPAP. Stowed the CPAP on the nightstand shelf during the day. Reversed it the last day. The steward let it completely alone.
A little help, please!

I do understand the need for an adapter for the plug under the bed, and will get one. Great find for the CPAP solution!

For the other outlets, though, I am confused by some of what I read in the thread. Do the ship's outlets accept a standard 3 prong extension cord, or do I need to get an 3-2 prong adapter for that? It is difficult for me to tell from the photos (not a problem with the photos at all, just a possible inability on my part to interpret what I am seeing and reading above).

Thanks!

Old July 16th, 2011, 12:43 AM
30,000+ Club

The two outlets in the cabin at the desk are US 3-prong 110v outlets. You can plug in any 2-prong plug or use any 3-prong extension cord. The outlet in the bathroom is 110/220v, US or UK 2-prong plug.

Boston. Strong.

* Me ziplining across Victoria Falls: https://plus.google.com/photos/10147...83463276981969
* Safari photos: https://picasaweb.google.com/1014740...eat=directlink

Upcoming:
Royal Princess -- Copenhagen > NY 9/10/14
Crown Princess -- 10/18/14 BVE
Grand Princess -- LA > HI > LA 2/17/15
OAT African Safari -- 10/5/15
Pacific Princess 50th Anniversary cruise -- 12/3/15

Old July 16th, 2011, 12:47 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by gepaza View Post
A little help, please!

I do understand the need for an adapter for the plug under the bed, and will get one. Great find for the CPAP solution!

For the other outlets, though, I am confused by some of what I read in the thread. Do the ship's outlets accept a standard 3 prong extension cord, or do I need to get an 3-2 prong adapter for that? It is difficult for me to tell from the photos (not a problem with the photos at all, just a possible inability on my part to interpret what I am seeing and reading above).

Thanks!
Except for the under-bed outlet , all "regular" outlets are standard USA 3 prong grounded outlets. No adapter necessary for any US/Canadian device, power strip, or extension cord.

Old July 16th, 2011, 08:36 AM
Cool Cruiser

Thnaks to both of you! I guess my senior moments are becoming senior minutes, and I sure got lost in that one.

Last edited by gepaza; July 16th, 2011 at 08:40 AM.