Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Friends of Cruise Critic > BUCKEYE CRUZERS!!!! Where are ya, Ohio!?!?!

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old April 20th, 2012, 10:40 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

And, Linda?

How'd the dental appointment go?

Old April 21st, 2012, 08:41 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mje View Post
That recipe sounds good Sics, I'll show it to Fay. We always get a piece of key lime pie on a cruise. We haven't been on a cruise since we sailed with you on the Freedom.
TGIF
The recipe I use is the one on the "Nellie and Joe's" brand of key lime juice, which you can find in the juice aisle of most supermarkets. It costs less than $3 for a 16 oz. bottle. If you buy a regular size pre-made graham cracker crust, you only need a single recipe of the filling. To make a 13 x 9" pie (feeds about 20 people), I make a triple batch of the filling recipe. I tried making it one time with real key limes and it tasted just the same. I won't buy the limes again. Too much work to get the juice out of them...they are tiny.

Many of the 5:00 Somewhere group are cruising on Oasis in January....in fact only a few of us are not. The timing is bad for us, and we like the mid sized ships better than the huge ones. The Voyager class ships are great, but the Freedom and Oasis class are larger than we like. Even so, when they are cruising and we are here, I'll be jealous.

It wasn't too bad yesterday, but today has been cold and windy. It's a good day to be inside. Last weekend was cold, too. I did spend some time working outside on Thursday, though. It's going to be another three weeks before we can even think about planting anything.

A bit of good news...A.J. just got an award letter yesterday for a $1000 Scottish Rite (Masonic) scholarship. We are proud of him...he has worked hard for it.
Explorer of the Seas - 2003; Voyager of the Seas - 2004; Adventure of the Seas - 2006; Majesty of the Seas - 2006; Enchantment of the Seas - 2007; Explorer of the Seas 2008; Majesty of the Seas - 2008; Grandeur of the Seas - 2008; Grandeur of the Seas - 2009; Freedom of the Seas - 2010; Majesty of the Seas B2B - 2010; Celebrity Century 2011; Jewel of the Seas 2011; Serenade of the Seas - 2012; Jewel of the Seas - 2012; Brilliance of the Seas - 2013; Celebrity Century B2B2B - 2014

Old April 21st, 2012, 10:07 PM
10,000+ Club

Went out for dinner tonight to a mexican place found my favorite Beer we only have found at Costa Maya
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mms_picture.jpg (11.0 KB, 7 views)

CountdownClockCodes.com

CountdownClockCodes.com

Crazy Caribbean Cruiser AOS 2013

Old April 21st, 2012, 10:52 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Now THAT'S a beer, Frito. My kind of guy. Unless the picture is misleading, you may only need 3 beers to enjoy that Mexican food. I can't decipher the name. What is it?

STOP THAT SICS! Pretty soon you'll have me picking up a Key Lime pie, and eating the whole damn thing before I get to the checkout.

I could become so rich if I could find a way to make a lemon/lime "swirl" pie. Remaining separate in the filling, but a different tasty delight in each fork-full.

GREAT for A.J.! A thousand dollar scholarship is nothing to be sneezed at. And as you are, you should be proud of him. Good show.

What a state Ohio is. Yesterday in shorts. Today, ....back to winter jackets. And the possibility of a "spit" of snow on Monday.

Dave

Last edited by Fatherdav; April 21st, 2012 at 10:53 PM.

Old April 22nd, 2012, 01:02 AM
Cool Cruiser

I know I have been to Longboat Key, I think we just cruised through the area.

How to the socialite keep going and going like the energy bunny every night. I had 4 events last 4 days. Made it to 3 of them and I am worn out.

Now to get some sleep. I had to take a nap to have the energy to go to a 60th birthday party

Old April 22nd, 2012, 09:59 AM
10,000+ Club

LOL yea Dave it was a big one its Sol beer it was the only way they served it . The sign in the window said they had Sol pitchers of beer so I was cool on draft , well here Mexican restaurants have actual mexicans working in them very few speak but about 3 words of english about enough to take your order, so I said I will a Sol he was like wide eyed and went Big one , I was like well you must have to order a pitcher I was like sure , and he brings me a quart of beer , it was cold and good.

CountdownClockCodes.com

CountdownClockCodes.com

Old April 22nd, 2012, 08:05 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Mike has a chocolate creating printer on his Christmas wish-list. This is on mine. A draft beer dispenser that fills the glass from the bottom. Less foam, and no spillage.

http://www.bobandtom.com/videos?uri=...345197/1644367

I hate it when bartenders overfill the glass and have it run down the side. It makes my fingers all sticky.

Lawn is all mowed....wearing a winter jacket. It was only in the mid 40's, and my hands were froze by the time I got done.

Did you get your nap in today, Deb? I sure did. I don't care what anyone says, if I get a chance to take an afternoon nap I jump on it.

Just took a look in the frig. We've got some yummy stuff as leftovers. Kathi made some broccoli-cheese soup. Then, there is some pizza. And then there is the hot-wings. Laugh all you want, but I bet that I have the wings for breakfast.

Dave

Old April 23rd, 2012, 01:32 PM
5,000+ Club

Congrats on A.J. getting a Scholarship!! Way to go!

Dave, you aren't kidding about this weather. We had much better weather in March, Go Figure!

I Hope everyone is having a Good Monday.

Old April 23rd, 2012, 08:29 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatherdav View Post
And, Linda?

How'd the dental appointment go?
I went today. I spent 4 1/2 hours at Metro Dental Clinic. I had a tooth pulled and am still sore. It could have been worse if it came out in pieces. He got it out in one piece and I didn't need antibiotics. I can't eat anything or drink anything hot. I had a Wendy's Vanilla Frosty. I bought a orange sherbert push-up for later. When I got home, I made some vanilla pudding. I can have food tomorrow. I did lose a few pounds today. LOL.

NCL SS Norway - Oct 1983; NCL MS Starward - Sept 1984; BSL Bermuda Star - Oct 1985; NCL MS Seaward - Oct 1989; RCI Monarch of the Seas - Oct 1997; CCL Inspiration - Easter 2003

Old April 23rd, 2012, 09:26 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Good for you Linda. I'm happy to hear that you got that toothache taken care of. It's amazing how quickly they can yank them. It takes longer for the Novocain to set in. How many times did you bite your cheek?

But I'm beginning to wonder if you are playing by Mike's playbook. ANY excuse to eat sweets.

My day to get a tooth yanked is tomorrow. (Unfixable because it's cracked.) And while there, probably a post screwed into the jawbone to hold an implant.

Kathi heard that when they do that, your face is so numb, you could be slapped across the face and you'd never know it.

She smiled a little too much when she related that tidbit of information.

Dave

Old April 23rd, 2012, 10:21 PM
Cool Cruiser

This is sad we are all talking about our dental work. At least we still have part of our own teeth. I got my temp crown put in today. UGH.

What happened to Spring????

Old April 23rd, 2012, 11:21 PM
Cool Cruiser

What I found interesting is that there were quite a few people waiting in the "clinic" using the newest phones. I have a cell phone, but mine doesn't do any of the fancy things. I had to pay $58 before I could even see a dentist. I wonder what the others paid?

NCL SS Norway - Oct 1983; NCL MS Starward - Sept 1984; BSL Bermuda Star - Oct 1985; NCL MS Seaward - Oct 1989; RCI Monarch of the Seas - Oct 1997; CCL Inspiration - Easter 2003

Old April 24th, 2012, 09:01 AM
10,000+ Club

Well we dodged a huge snowball yesterday lol . Have friends in PA tha were posting pictures on FB , yuck.
Well its off to help pick up/deliver medical equipment for the church , man hard to believe how many needy people there are , this is a never ending thing the church has taken on.
At least the sun is shining maybe it will warm up a little bit

CountdownClockCodes.com

CountdownClockCodes.com

Old April 24th, 2012, 10:27 AM
5,000+ Club

Frito - It may be a never ending thing that your church took on, but look at this way, You're Helping Those Who Can't Help Themselves and you Will Reap A Harvest for doing a good deed. God will bless you and the efforts of your church and the other people who give of their time and talent!!

I'm in prep mode to help prepare for a Huge Youth Day and Praise Service that our kids are having at the church on the 2nd Sunday in June. I hope we reach and touch MANY Youth Kids that will come to our Program on that day and be changed forever!

Old April 24th, 2012, 11:42 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

On behalf of A.J., thanks! He actually gets the money at a reception on May 12th. What's really nice is that they give the money to him directly, so he doesn't have to report it to the IRS or on the FAFSA for the coming year.

The good thing is you no longer have a toothache, Linda, but the sad thing is that you no longer have that tooth. I have all the teeth that are visible to others, but I have two broken molars in the very back of my mouth. One has about broken off to the gum line, and the other is just missing a piece that broke off. Fortunately, neither of them hurts, and they have been like that for several years. Good luck today, Dave.

It's chilly and windy out...not supposed to even hit 60 here this week. At least we didn't get snow. I hope it begins to warm up a bit for our baby ducks. Our resident duck population has quite a few nests, and one group, at least have hatched. A mama duck with nine new baby ducklings waddled through our back yard yesterday.
Explorer of the Seas - 2003; Voyager of the Seas - 2004; Adventure of the Seas - 2006; Majesty of the Seas - 2006; Enchantment of the Seas - 2007; Explorer of the Seas 2008; Majesty of the Seas - 2008; Grandeur of the Seas - 2008; Grandeur of the Seas - 2009; Freedom of the Seas - 2010; Majesty of the Seas B2B - 2010; Celebrity Century 2011; Jewel of the Seas 2011; Serenade of the Seas - 2012; Jewel of the Seas - 2012; Brilliance of the Seas - 2013; Celebrity Century B2B2B - 2014

Old April 24th, 2012, 01:33 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by MzOhioLady View Post
Frito - It may be a never ending thing that your church took on, but look at this way, You're Helping Those Who Can't Help Themselves and you Will Reap A Harvest for doing a good deed. God will bless you and the efforts of your church and the other people who give of their time and talent!!

I'm in prep mode to help prepare for a Huge Youth Day and Praise Service that our kids are having at the church on the 2nd Sunday in June. I hope we reach and touch MANY Youth Kids that will come to our Program on that day and be changed forever!
Well today was pickup day a Lady donated a huge amount of stuff from her mothers house , nice stuff she was so happy it would go to good use , then off to a rest home where sadly I guess people die , we got 8 wheelcairs 7 walkers , canes and some other stuff , and then to a church where we got a nice lift chair they are hard to come by it will come in get cleaned an zoom be gone. I found out today a guy in our church started this program sadly now he has to use our services but it has grown like 10 fold . The amount of time a lady at our church puts into it and others do , Oh I am not complaining , I give them a day a week to run the truck , since i am an Old Frito driver that truck is breeze for me to drive and back it seem to gives others fits ,lol I love doing it its just a lot of work amd like I said amazing the amount of people that need help is astonishing.

Yea we do a lot for youth as well Thats a great thing they always need guidance and help . Good for you keep up the good work

CountdownClockCodes.com

CountdownClockCodes.com

Old April 24th, 2012, 02:33 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Outstanding for the work you're doing with your church Frito. And for the work you are doing with the youth MzOhio. There's something special in doing for others, while there is nothing in it for you.

You walk away feeling very special about yourself. Even if no one notices your good deed. It just makes you feel good.

It is funny about all our teeth-talk. Aren't we a group that's suppose to be "long in the tooth"?

Hope you have better luck with the temp for your crown than I do Deb. Usually any temp I get falls off the 1st week.

As for my 3 hour adventure at the dentist today; It didn't go as planned. Two teeth needed to be pulled along with bone grafts. Now I'm lined up for 2 implants. But that doesn't happen for another four months while the bone regenerates.

Does anybody have as lousy lottery numbers, as I do?

Dave

Old April 24th, 2012, 05:54 PM
10,000+ Club

I am going to pay for it the next few days LOL my back is killing me did way to much lifting today, good thing we are heading south Sat. I will need the break. The Guy I work with always says are you okay to lift that and I always say yea I will be alright , You go somewhere for lying don't you , but thats my Dad and Brother in me work now and pay for it later. Well have several things going on the next couple of days . But I may check in from sunny Florida and try to send you all some sunshine

CountdownClockCodes.com

CountdownClockCodes.com

Old April 24th, 2012, 06:08 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Have a safe trip, Frito, and enjoy the warm sun while you can! It's great that you are giving back to your community in the way you do, as there are a lot of needy and deserving folks who appreciate what you do. You, too, those of you who lead youth groups and deliver meals.

Got stuff done around here today...laundry, ironing, and I cleaned out the food pantry, spire racks, and fridge. Found a few duplicate items I could consolidate and a few past their prime. Now it looks like we are out of everything. Actually, we just about are, so I now need to head for the grocery stores.

Another family of ducks (with seven babies) came into our yard a couple times today. They are eating the bird seed that the wind blew out of our feeder. At least I hope this is a different family...if it's the same one, the mama lost two of her brood overnight.

Old April 24th, 2012, 10:24 PM
Cool Cruiser

A fellow Encephalitis friend of Carol's had been having problems with a tooth. He finally scraped up the money to go to the dentist. When he got there the tooth that was bothering him had to be pulled.

The killer is the tooth next to it had a piece of gauze from loooong ago when he had that tooth worked on. That tooth also had to be pulled.

Oh if he could go back on that dentist now. He would have the funds to get a partial. Not likely though.

It is people like Linda and Stephen who go by the rules and just don't have the $$ then you get those who waltz in with i-phones or smart phones. Who probably should go to a regular Dentist office and let those who need the clinics services get the needed services.

Ok my 2 cents on dental work now for my next vent.

My cousin who is like the fish you throw out after 3 days. Is flying home for a few weeks from Italy. Only problem is we do not know where she will land how long she will stay and who will pick her up. She is flyiing military. She could have waited until May 4th and flown straight to Norfolk. Provided seats were available.

No not her she is flying TOMORROW from Naples, to Germany or Spain, then she will take whatever flight she can get to East coast military base.

Lord help me she better not call me at 1:30 AM to tell me she made the flight to point B. I hope she waits until she get to point B and calls to tell me when she will be coming into point C. None of the bases are less than 7 hrs from us. I am looking for alternative transportation for her to get home. Hopefully her sister will volunteer to go get her.

I thought I flew by my seat of my pants she has me beat.