Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Ports of Call > Caribbean > San Juan, PR

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old July 17th, 2011, 12:14 PM
Cool Cruiser

Talking Bioluminescent Bay Tour

Does anyone have this tour booked? Im looking for a tour operator to contact. Is it only accessible by Kayak or is there a power boat tour? Sounds awesome . Look forward to the feedback. Will be in San Juan on July 23

Ad Sponsored By
Old July 17th, 2011, 08:55 PM
Cool Cruiser

Go to the following link and scroll down a little bit: http://www.eastwindcats.com/pages/po...xcursion1.html

This trip allows you to swim in the bay. You take a boat and not a kayak!

We are going Saturday night. They are picking us up at our hotel. It is $109 + tax and $20 for transportation but well worth it. Look it up on YouTube. It looks amazing and everything that I have read about it people say its a once in a lifetime excursion. I just booked on Friday and they said they had plenty of room.
Carnival Victory - Southern Caribbean 2011, Carnival Triumph - Western Caribbean 2008, Carnival Triumph - Western Caribbean 2003, Carnival Ecstasy - Catalina & Ensenada 2002, Carnival Holiday - Catalina & Ensenada 2000, Carnival Holiday - Baja Mexico 1998, Carnival Holiday - Baja Mexico 1997

Unofficial Official of Dancing at Pool and Disco

Old July 17th, 2011, 09:00 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKE cruiser View Post
Go to the following link and scroll down a little bit: http://www.eastwindcats.com/pages/po...xcursion1.html

We are going Saturday night. They are picking us up at our hotel. It is $109 + tax and $20 for transportation but well worth it. Look it up on YouTube. It looks amazing and everything that I have read about it people say its a once in a lifetime excursion. I just booked on Friday and they said they had plenty of room.
I have always wanted to do this. I plan to get to San Juan the day before my cruise just so I can!!

Old July 17th, 2011, 10:12 PM
Cool Cruiser

I went last year and it was nothing short of magnificent.

Old July 18th, 2011, 09:48 AM
Cool Cruiser

[quote=TKE cruiser;29827056]Go to the following link and scroll down a little bit: http://www.eastwindcats.com/pages/po...xcursion1.html

We are going Saturday night. They are picking us up at our hotel. It is $109 + tax and $20 for transportation but well worth it. Look it up on YouTube. It looks amazing and everything that I have read about it people say its a once in a lifetime excursion. I just booked on Friday and they said they had plenty of room.[/quo

Will be doing this tour 22th of Jan. But have to wait until Dec to book. Make sure you check the moon phase close to a full moon it's a no go Made the mistake on our 1st try.
Paul
180 days to cruise

Old August 15th, 2011, 03:44 PM
Cool Cruiser

[quote=excalwop;29831295]
Quote:

We are going Saturday night. They are picking us up at our hotel. It is $109 + tax and $20 for transportation but well worth it. Look it up on YouTube. It looks amazing and everything that I have read about it people say its a once in a lifetime excursion. I just booked on Friday and they said they had plenty of room.[/quo

Will be doing this tour 22th of Jan. But have to wait until Dec to book. Make sure you check the moon phase close to a full moon it's a no go Made the mistake on our 1st try.
Paul
180 days to cruise
Looks like you may be on the same cruise we are, I am also interested in bio bay. Do you know how far the travel time from old san juan is? We will have a car, so I am considering driving our selves. Thanks for any help

April 2013 Norwegian Spirit (Venice, Athens, Mykonos, Izmir, Istanbul, Livorno, Rome, Naples, Barcelona)
January 2012 Carnival Victory (Puerto Rico, Barbados, St Marrten, St Lucia, St Thomas, St Kitts)
January 2011 Carnival Valor (Honduras, Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Costa Maya)
October 2010 Carnival Sensation (Nassau, Freeport)
March 2009 Carnival Destiny
(Grand Cayman, Jamaica)

Old August 15th, 2011, 03:48 PM
Cool Cruiser

[quote=excalwop;29831295]
Quote:

Paul
180 days to cruise
LOL actually you are on my next cruise, anyway that link will not open for me can you tell me what you searched on you tube? Thanks again

April 2013 Norwegian Spirit (Venice, Athens, Mykonos, Izmir, Istanbul, Livorno, Rome, Naples, Barcelona)
January 2012 Carnival Victory (Puerto Rico, Barbados, St Marrten, St Lucia, St Thomas, St Kitts)
January 2011 Carnival Valor (Honduras, Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Costa Maya)
October 2010 Carnival Sensation (Nassau, Freeport)
March 2009 Carnival Destiny
(Grand Cayman, Jamaica)

Old August 15th, 2011, 08:16 PM
Cool Cruiser

mhumason; Do not know what happen on this thread but when we plan to go on this tour we will be a post cruise Our cruise ends on the 22nd This will be our third attempt. The 1st we din not take the moon into account The 2nd had a storm going on and no boats going out. This time booking for the 22nd with the 23 as backup.
Try eastwindscat.com then look in the Power catamaran excursions.
Also check out puertoricodaytrips.com Swim with the stars in the Vieques Biobay without staying the night. this write up gives good info of how to get there by car, what you will be going thru and what to bring
Trip advisor also some info on the Bio Bay tour
Paul

Old August 18th, 2011, 07:43 PM
Cool Cruiser

I have some bad news for people that are planning on going to the Vieques BioBay to swim.....yesterday, someone was bitten by a shark while swimming there. So currently, there is a ban on swimming in all biobays. This may change, but it sounds like it won't.
This bay is the brightest and the glow you can see is really amazing, so it is still a natural wonder to see, even without swimming.
I will keep you posted.

Old August 18th, 2011, 11:29 PM
Cool Cruiser

Rainforest girl , So sad , I hope they are going to be ok ! I was just talking to Air Sunshine today about our rt flight from SJ this Feb . Guess I'll hold off . Thanks for the information ! I'll say some prayers !!!

Old August 19th, 2011, 06:35 AM
Cool Cruiser

Luckily, they say the woman is doing well. It was a lower leg bite, so she will probably have some walking issues.
It was the first shark attack in about 80 years here in PR.

Old August 20th, 2011, 07:53 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainforestgirl View Post
I have some bad news for people that are planning on going to the Vieques BioBay to swim.....yesterday, someone was bitten by a shark while swimming there. So currently, there is a ban on swimming in all biobays. This may change, but it sounds like it won't.
This bay is the brightest and the glow you can see is really amazing, so it is still a natural wonder to see, even without swimming.
I will keep you posted.
Saw this in the Atlanta paper yesterday. Sure hate it for the lady and for what looks like such a neat tour as it probably will affect business.

Old August 20th, 2011, 10:47 AM
Cool Cruiser

rainforestgirl; Thanks for the info on the shark attack and the follow up on her injuries.
Plan to do the tour in Jan. Hoping that they will have the swimming part back. One attack in 80 years I can live with that. Was raise on the Cal. coast and spent the 1st 20 years in the ocean surfing, snorkeling,diving and swimming. Have been around sharks most of the time and an attack like this was a mistake by the shark thinking that the lady was something else.
Am wondering how many sharks are there on a daily basis
Hope things will get back to nomal at the Bio Bay.
Paul

Old August 22nd, 2011, 11:42 PM
Cool Cruiser

If you are going on the island, I recommend not to take Pure Adventure. Try to find another group to go with. I was there a month ago and it was pretty bad. About 17 kayaks with two guides. People ramming each other the whole time. I looked at other groups coming back and there were about 7 kayaks all in a row and I wanted to turn around. Talking to the people with me, I think they felt the same way.

Old August 23rd, 2011, 02:48 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cccer View Post
If you are going on the island, I recommend not to take Pure Adventure. Try to find another group to go with. I was there a month ago and it was pretty bad. About 17 kayaks with two guides. People ramming each other the whole time. I looked at other groups coming back and there were about 7 kayaks all in a row and I wanted to turn around. Talking to the people with me, I think they felt the same way.
Hmmm, just booked them. I may have to do somemore research!

Old August 23rd, 2011, 08:37 PM
Cool Cruiser

Knowing that the lights are a product of aggravated organisms ... I don't think I'd mind staying in the boat !!

Mariner of the Seas 9-28-08
Mariner of the Seas 6-17-07
Sovereign of the Seas 6-04